Author Topic: Noppoo Electrostatic Capacitive EC108 Pro Review  (Read 38439 times)

Offline Sniping

Noppoo Electrostatic Capacitive EC108 Pro Review
« on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 00:25:05 »
Basic Info
-Electrostatic Capacitive Keyboard aimed to be a Topre clone
-35g (45g is also offered, but I have the 35g with me)
-PBT keycaps, ? profile, decently thick
-Standard full size ANSI layout, made in China

I added a partial RGB set made by KBC.

foreword/preface thing
At GH, I think the general consensus is that we don’t like clones. But at the same time, with stuff like Gateron coming out proving us wrong (dat smoothness), I think that we should all reconsider judging products based on the fact that they’re trying to copy another product. While they’re usually not as good as the real things, clones are usually considerably cheaper and can come close to the real product, and have their place in the market. When I first tried Gateron switches last month, I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth they were. Trying the Gateron linears effectively changed my perspective on clones, and made me curious about the quality of other clones. One of the things I really wanted to try was the Noppoo Topre clone, so that brings us here.

Pricing
A important part of any clone is competitive pricing. This keyboard sells for $130 at massdrop. I don’t follow the Type Heaven pricing closely, but I think they are around $150. The Novatouch is ~$170, the Leopold FC660c is $200 (and very hard to find right now), Realforces are $200 or so and the HHKB is around $250. While it’s not ridiculously cheap, it does a great job at beating out the price of even the budget Topre keyboards. Keep in mind that both the Novatouch and Type Heaven don’t use PBT keycaps like the Noppoo keyboard.

Keycaps
The keycaps are nice for stock keycaps. They’re a PBT/POM mix supposedly, but they mostly remind me of PBT keycaps. The keycaps are pointy, kinda like Cherry keycaps from an old Cherry keyboard or GMK, which is nice. They’re also decently thick. They’re not the thickest I’ve seen, but I can safely call them thick keycaps.

However, I’m not a fan of the printing method that they went with. I know it’s hard to complain, since these are stock keycaps, meaning that I should be happy with any sort of printing method that doesn’t wear off in a few months of use, but the printing reminds me of the Cherry lasered keycaps, probably because it’s lasered. I wish the printing could’ve been darker and closer to black to create a nicer contrast with the white/beige color of the keyboard. The profile is also a bit wonky. You can tell that the keycaps have a profile, but it’s not as aggressive as profiles usually are. I compared them to a Realforce, which you can see in the pictures. Lastly, I can agree with the font that they chose. It reminds me of the Realforce keycaps, especially with the Enter key. It’s just a no-frills font that’s not the 1337 gamer stuff that you get on QFRs or keycap sets that look kind of like this.

(the Noppoo is the white one of course)

Feel of the Keyboard
tl;dr It does in fact feel like Topre, and PBT keycaps are always a welcome addition
This keyboard feels very similar to Topre. The weighting of the switch is new to me. I’ve tried 45g, 55g and variable, but I haven’t tried 30g before. I think that the 35g switch in this keyboard feels a lot like how the 30g is described to be like. It’s definitely less tactile than the 45g Topre keyboards, but I’m quite sure that that’s because of the lighter domes. There’s a very slight amount of friction that I can feel in the switch. It’s way better than the “whistle” of the HHKB, which was purely due to friction, but I can feel some very slight scratchiness in the Noppoo keyboard. Nevertheless, I think that the feel of this keyboard matches that of a regular Topre keyboard closely. If Topre made a 35g keyboard, I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between this Noppoo and this fictional 35g keyboard. Topre uses super secret patented rubber in their domes, but I think that Noppoo has done a great job in creating a keyboard that matches the Topre feel.

Sound
We’re going to talk about one thing and one thing only

The “thock” is arguably the most characteristic sound of a Topre keyboard. I think we can all agree that we like the thock. This keyboard, fortunately, has plenty of it. For some reason, I think this keyboard sounds louder than a Realforce keyboard, but there’s plenty of “thock”, so I’m not complaining. The keyboard isn’t silenced, but the upstroke sound isn’t obnoxious. I really didn’t like the upstroke sound of the stabilized keys on the Leopold FC660C (the backspace drove me crazy), but the Noppoo keyboard seems to do a better job with its Costar-style stabilizers.

Of course, I can only describe a sound to a certain extent, so here’s a video of me typing on the keyboard. I’m including the video that I have of my HHKB Type-S for comparison (both videos were done at the same angle with the same camera)

Build Quality and Aesthetics
There’s no feeling of flex while I’m typing on the keyboard, which is the most important thing for me. I can produce some flex when bending the keyboard from either side, but that’s normal for a full size keyboard and doesn’t mean much anyways.

The white combo is nice. I’d like to see a blank keycap option for this keyboard, but I understand that blank keycaps aren’t from everyone, and only appeal to a certain portion of buyers. I like how they tried to go with an all white theme. I dig the white cable and white case, which goes along well with the biege two-tone keycaps.

The case is a bit too rounded for my liking, but that’s personal preference. It doesn’t look bad with white though, since everything about the keyboard has a “soft” feel to it anyways. Most people who buy keyboards like this aren’t adolescent gamers anyway, so aggressive g4m3r styling wasn’t necessary. The result is a keyboard with a classic, standard look, which is suitable for home office or working environments.

Miscellaneous Comments
I like the cable routing option included in the back of the keyboard. I’m always open to more choices, so this is a welcome addition to the back of the keyboard.

Detachable cable is a good feature when you need to bring the keyboard on the go. I wish that the Realforce had one, and I’m not sure why they don’t.

I also like how the feet of the keyboard have rubber, so that the keyboard doesn’t slip around as much while the feet are up.

The white cable is nice to have. I know I would’ve been a lot less happy with a standard black cable, since the whole keyboard is white.

I feel like the switches wobble more than the normal Topre switches do.

The stabilizers are Costar style

I’ve only tried fitting on a couple of MX keycaps, but the MX stems seem to work fine. They fit on somewhat tight like with MX clears, but that’s a non-issue. The MX compatibility is cool to have to swap a couple of keycaps like Esc or the four useless keys above the numpad. Beyond that, I think it wouldn’t be cost effective to have keycaps that cost more than $20 on a $120 keyboard, but that’s just me.

The plate is plain silver, and I can justify this because of the color scheme of the keyboard, but I still don’t like the silver color. It’s a slightly too reflective for my taste, but this is a small nitpick again.

I was able to achieve a new high score on 10fastfingers with this keyboard. This is my first time over 123wpm. http://puu.sh/fkYkt/0d16a2a3f1.png (must be the devil)

Conclusion
I have some small gripes with this keyboard, but at the same time, it’s hard to ask for more out of a keyboard of this price. It feels identical to Topre, or very close to it, it has good keycaps that don’t wear down, and it’s cheaper than the Type Heaven. There’s not too much room to complain here, and while I understand that this keyboard is more expensive than a normal keyboard, I love the feel of Topre in general, and I think that this extra cost over a regular keyboard like the QFR is worth it. This keyboard is not distracting, and let’s you focus on what you’re doing while being able to enjoy nice switches, rather than being distracted by breathing LED’s and lighting modes.

I would recommend this keyboard for:
-People that are on a budget
-People who want to try a Topre keyboard but don’t want to spend $200+ doing so
-People who need a quiet keyboard that isn’t distracting
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:43:52 by Sniping »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Noppoo Electrostatic Capacitive EP-108 Pro Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:37:03 »
Wow, so it's reasonable quality and quite close to Topre feel you say? That's a surprise!

FWIW AFAIK keycaps are made by PLUM, basically Cherry profile, thick PBT, laser-etched (legends copied from actual realforce).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:48:21 »
I'm curious to know if these sliders will fit and function in a regular topre board?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:49:14 »
I wonder if you could you swap Realforce caps onto this board? And ugh, yet another clone or new switch that I really want to try out. Thanks for sharing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:52:42 »
I wonder if you could you swap Realforce caps onto this board? And ugh, yet another clone or new switch that I really want to try out. Thanks for sharing.

99% sure topre caps won't fit this board since it has the mx male stems like the novatouch, unless you mean putting realforce stems in

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 14:59:24 »
So this is MX-compatible?

Any chance of a picture with a couple of keycaps removed please?  And of the underside of said keycaps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 15:01:23 »
So this is MX-compatible?

Any chance of a picture with a couple of keycaps removed please?  And of the underside of said keycaps?

same as the massdrop board

90431-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 15:01:46 »
Oh it's that board with the Novatouch-esque MX stems? Interesting, I thought I saw something about it on DT. I can't recall if it takes Realforce/Topre caps or MX.

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 16:45:09 »
One quick question: I've seen multiple sites stating, that this board is programmable e.g. banggood, ebay and some preview on DT, but so far I saw no one actually doing or mentioning it. Maybe someone who owns one can comment on this since I'm really tempted to get one and this would be a great feature.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 16:46:31 »
One quick question: I've seen multiple sites stating, that this board is programmable e.g. banggood, ebay and some preview on DT, but so far I saw no one actually doing or mentioning it. Maybe someone who owns one can comment on this since I'm really tempted to get one and this would be a great feature.

Check out this page http://bbs.zol.com.cn/quanzi/d14_1728.html

It shows the programming interface and you can google translate to read some of the descriptions.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 17:04:23 »
How is the Space Bar? On Realforce and NovaTouch, it Space Bar switch has a coiled spring around the slider right under the bar to make the switch heavier than the others.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 17:51:32 »
To answer some questions:
 the spacebar is indeed heavier. I think its rated at 65g or something, but it doesn't feel as heavy as it sounds.

Topre caps fit poorly on this keyboard.

I am not sure about the stems. I could measure them when I get home to see if theyre the same diameter but I don't have time to disassemble the keyboard atm

Offline morethanless

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:08:04 »
Any opinion on 35g vs 45g switches?

I am used to MX reds. I tried a variable weight Topre and the typing experience was bumpy compared to the MX reds. (because I was not use to tactile for a long time).
So do you think 35g fits well if I am used to MX reds?
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 February 2015, 18:26:08 by morethanless »

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline jtjoatmon

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 19:11:49 »
Thanks Sniping for the review.
Been considering getting a MX-compatible Topre but didn't like the Novatouch because I prefer full sized.
This would have flown under my radar if you hadn't done this.
Did you get yours off Taobao / other chinese sites? If I get one I rather not wait for Massdrop.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 19:33:36 »
Why oh why is there not a 55g version of this board. If it were 55g I would have one on order right now.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 21:17:17 »
Any opinion on 35g vs 45g switches?

I am used to MX reds. I tried a variable weight Topre and the typing experience was bumpy compared to the MX reds. (because I was not use to tactile for a long time).
So do you think 35g fits well if I am used to MX reds?

Yes, I think the 35g will fit you well.

It feels more linear than 45g topre. I'm not used to this because I type on clears and 45g topre a lot, but you like reds so I think 35g is a good match.

And I got the keyboard from massdrop, not taobao.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 01:03:32 »

b-b-b-b-b-b-bonus review

I have one of the Matias linear switches with me.

In short, Matias is off to a good start, but these could be better.

Clear switch housings are nice, and with RGB support, which I’ve seen in the keyboard.io butterfly keyboard prototype (it’s awesome), I think that Matias switch housings serve a good purpose.

The switches are also smooth. Vintage black smooth. I don’t own a green alps keyboard, but from what I remember, they feel just as smooth as the green alps keyboard I tried.

But my biggest issue with these switches comes at the bottom of the keystroke. There’s a small amount of tactility that they put at the bottom of the switch, and I don’t really like that. I think that it makes the switch feel a bit sticky. After all, they were trying to create linear switches, so I wish they just stuck with a switch that’s purely linear.

I think that these switches have a lot of potential, and that the issue can be fixed relatively easily, but I’ll be waiting until Matias gets around to doing that though. Once they do, they’ll have switches that are cheap, have clear switch houses and are very smooth, which will be killer.

Matias did a great job with this switch, but here are my two suggestions:
-Remove the tactility from the switch
-Remove the dampening from the switch

I understand that Matias wants to have a quiet switch, and the dampening system on alps switches in general is arguably one of the best out there (Topre does a good job too), but a switch that’s almost completely silent takes away some of the fun of typing on a mechanical keyboard--the “clack” that you hear when bottoming out is satisfying, and even though it’s a bit noisier, it’s not excessive either. Matias already makes dampened tactile switches, so they have an option available for people that need keyboards that are really quiet.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 February 2015, 01:05:09 by Sniping »

Offline MPZ

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 05:16:29 »
To answer some questions:
 the spacebar is indeed heavier. I think its rated at 65g or something, but it doesn't feel as heavy as it sounds.

I'm sad that I missed the first Massdrop on these (I'm in the current one), but then again, I didn't know I would be obsessing over a 35g Topre-style switch a month ago (I presume that's around when I would have had to order). In any event, can you elaborate about the spacebar? Is there a spring, or does all the extra stiffness come from a different switch? Does there appear to be anything that can easily be done to lighten it? I preferred no spring in the spacebar on the Novatouch I just returned- I guess I'm hoping for a similarly easy tweak.

When it comes down to it, I'm afraid of two possibilities with this board (otherwise I will be surprised if it's not pretty much perfect for me): the stiffness of the spacebar, and it's width (I'm usually a tenkeyless guy, but there is no tenkeyless with switches like the 35g ones on this board). Obviously I will find out upon use if my hands feel too spread out when gaming, doing music production, etc. But the spacebar...

Man, someone should have warned me about this hobby- I'm pretty much obsessing (not to mention I've somehow bought a keyboard a week!) I'm still kicking myself for not realizing that KUL boards are sold on amazon- where I got it from I lose $40 returning it (possibly more), which pretty much makes it not worth it to me. Eh, eventually I will convince my roommate to buy it off me  ;D

Offline morethanless

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 07:10:18 »
@MPZ
as you can see here: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/GhostofHarry/IMG_4495.jpg and here http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/GhostofHarry/IMG_4502.jpg there is only one switch for the spacebar and it uses stabilizers. So I guess the metal spring under the rubber dome of space is stiffer.

Images taken from this thread: http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2079319
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 February 2015, 09:10:15 by morethanless »

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline MPZ

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 16:59:06 »
@MPZ
as you can see here: http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/GhostofHarry/IMG_4495.jpg and here http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/GhostofHarry/IMG_4502.jpg there is only one switch for the spacebar and it uses stabilizers. So I guess the metal spring under the rubber dome of space is stiffer.

Images taken from this thread: http://www.hkepc.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2079319

Much obliged- that might be unfortunate. With the Novatouch I had, no spring was definitely better (Especially with the cherryesque profile keycaps I put on it). Replacing the spring inside a switch sounds like a bit much for me mod-wise- granted I'm only paying 130, but unless these suddenly become much easier to acquire stateside, I would be really concerned about bricking my board.

Ah well... we shall see how hard it is to press. I know Sniping said it doesn't feel crazy heavy, but I have come to the conclusion that my hands are significantly weaker than the average Geekhack member (or perhaps its a lack of leverage since my hands are small...idk). 

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 20:14:31 »
Thanks for your review. Is this the one that's on Massdrop right now? That one is the EC108-Pro, not the EP108-Pro. But I can't find EP108-Pro anywhere on Google. Do you have a typo in your title?

BTW, this seems like the perfect mech for an iMac.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Sniping

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 21:48:17 »
Thanks for your review. Is this the one that's on Massdrop right now? That one is the EC108-Pro, not the EP108-Pro. But I can't find EP108-Pro anywhere on Google. Do you have a typo in your title?

BTW, this seems like the perfect mech for an iMac.

Yeah, you're right. That's a typo ^-^ Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll edit that now.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
Re: Noppoo Electrostatic Capacitive 108EC Pro Review
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:31:51 »
So...not to be a pedantic jerk, but now you have "108EC Pro" instead of "EC108-Pro"

The only reason I'm even saying anything is to help folks in the future who might search for this.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Sniping

Re: Noppoo Electrostatic Capacitive 108EC Pro Review
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:43:29 »
So...not to be a pedantic jerk, but now you have "108EC Pro" instead of "EC108-Pro"

The only reason I'm even saying anything is to help folks in the future who might search for this.

Yeah, no worries.

It seems like massdrop has it wrong. The back of my keyboard says 108EC Pro, but I'll change it to EC108 since that's what Massdrop is using.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
Re: Noppoo Electrostatic Capacitive EC108 Pro Review
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 22:56:49 »
Yeah, you're right. But I'm finding a lot of results for both on Google.

Fortunately by this point every possible permutation of the model number is somewhere in this thread. You're welcome, future searchers!

My boards:
More

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:28:13 »
I understand that Matias wants to have a quiet switch, and the dampening system on alps switches in general is arguably one of the best out there (Topre does a good job too), but a switch that�s almost completely silent takes away some of the fun of typing on a mechanical keyboard--the �clack� that you hear when bottoming out is satisfying, and even though it�s a bit noisier, it�s not excessive either. Matias already makes dampened tactile switches, so they have an option available for people that need keyboards that are really quiet.

The origin of the Matias linear switches was a keyboard for stenographers/court reporters, who need to be as quiet as possible when typing: https://www.crowdsupply.com/open-steno-project/mechanical-keyboard-switch.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline morethanless

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 14:22:37 »
Is that switch available yet in any keyboard?
Or at least planned?

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 06:53:18 »
Thanks for this detailed review :thumb:

I am really tempted to order one now  :p

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:24:21 »
Thanks so much to Sniping for this review. It convinced me to join the last group buy on Massdrop last month and I just received my EC108-Pro yesterday. I opted for the 45g switches, since 35g is strictly gamer territory, IMO.

93618-0 93620-1

Sniping mentioned the quality of the stock keycaps. They really are some of the nicest stock caps I've seen. One thing I noticed on mine, and I could be wrong, but the legends look like dyesub, not laser etched like Sniping mentioned. I took some macro shots if anyone cares to verify:

93622-2 93624-3

The only other thing worth mentioning: although the mounts are MX-compatible, the stabs are just wire with those annoying little cherry-compatible clip insert things. Here's a pic of a similar style from Deskthority for those who don't know what I'm talking about (this is not actually a Noppoo keycap):

They're really a pain to work with, so if you are a frequent cap-swapper just be prepared to spend some extra time on this board.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this purchase. It's a great entry point into the world of Topre, at a much more pleasant price point than the Realforce or HHKB.

Happy THOCKing!

My boards:
More

Offline morethanless

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:31:46 »
Those are the same stabilizers like on my Filco

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:41:18 »
Those are the same stabilizers like on my Filco

Care to share any tricks you've learned about how to efficiently swap caps with these stabs? I'm no stranger to fine motor tasks, but these things are something else altogether.

My boards:
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:48:24 »
Not the same (Filco MJ2 uses Costar), but similar (clones... or just generic).

Offline morethanless

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:51:34 »
Pull up to separate keycap from the switch. Take small screw driver an pull for example the right part of the metal wire to the outside while at the same time carefully prying the plastic stabilizer to the inside of the metal spring.
It sounds more complicated than it is.
Basically the important part ist to pull strongly on the metal wire outside and carefully try to separate the plastic part.

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:35:29 »
I hate costar stabs and anything like them. I know they are supposed to feel better, but it makes it terrible to swap out caps - which is something I do far, far to often, but I digress.

The trick I have found with these is to never take the wire off. Line up the stabilizer inserts while still attached to the wire and then put the cap right over that. Viola! Much easier swapping.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:45:26 »
I hate costar stabs and anything like them. I know they are supposed to feel better, but it makes it terrible to swap out caps - which is something I do far, far to often, but I digress.

The trick I have found with these is to never take the wire off. Line up the stabilizer inserts while still attached to the wire and then put the cap right over that. Viola! Much easier swapping.

I found out the hard way yesterday about not taking the wire off. Those suckers are hard to get back in!

This board has little slots underneath the stabilizer wire, and if you line up the clips so that they drop into those slots, it's pretty much the right spot to fit back onto the stems. It's still a pain to get them both there at the same time because you really have to use two hands, one of which is obviously your off hand.

My boards:
More

Offline morethanless

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:54:41 »

That's what I described above. I never have pulled out the wire. Just bend the wire a little then pull out the keycap.

(Cherry MX Red)

Offline MPZ

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:22:57 »
I'm so not looking forward to trying to swap keycaps when my board arrives from massdrop on saturday. I've only dealt with cherry and novatouch stabs so far, both easy, but I will definitely have to watch some videos for these costar ones. I might just punt and leave the stock modifier keys if the profiles are compatible between the stock caps and me Leopold thick PBT (especially as I have heard that sometimes the Leopolds need to be modded to fit costar). I suppose we shall see...

njbair I am so jealous- I wish my board had shown up already... Washington state is pretty far from the warehouse in Jersey I guess :(

I opted for 35g- which was actually the reason I bought this board. A novatouch with my leopold caps (extremely thick heavy PBT- to the point that they made the novatouch I returned feel completely different) was just too heavy for me to type fast on (the feedback was sublime though). I'm hoping 35 grams will be just about perfect.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:59:11 »
I was going to jump on the mass drop for these.

The problem was the initial reviews made this seem like a horrible quality board.

I guess the preliminary reviews were wrong.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 17:03:53 »

The problem was the initial reviews made this seem like a horrible quality board.

Maybe it's a consistency issue. I'm eager to hear from others in this drop once their boards arrive, but this thing is as much of a tank as my Ducky Shine 3.

My boards:
More

Offline Sniping

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 18:23:42 »

These keyboards aren't as solid as qfr's or filcos, but the earlier reviews aren't wrong lol. I have a lot of respect for the people who looked at this keyboard before me.

I don't think there's a consistency issue either.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 18:33:15 »

These keyboards aren't as solid as qfr's or filcos, but the earlier reviews aren't wrong lol. I have a lot of respect for the people who looked at this keyboard before me.

I don't think there's a consistency issue either.
So, is the solid-ness issue minor?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 18:42:03 »
Plate mount keyboards are rarely flimsy; this one is no exception. While I can feel that this keyboard is less solid than something like a filco, it doesn't bother me because I still like typing on it.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 19:23:02 »
I'm so not looking forward to trying to swap keycaps when my board arrives from massdrop on saturday. I've only dealt with cherry and novatouch stabs so far, both easy, but I will definitely have to watch some videos for these costar ones. I might just punt and leave the stock modifier keys if the profiles are compatible between the stock caps and me Leopold thick PBT (especially as I have heard that sometimes the Leopolds need to be modded to fit costar). I suppose we shall see...

njbair I am so jealous- I wish my board had shown up already... Washington state is pretty far from the warehouse in Jersey I guess :(

I opted for 35g- which was actually the reason I bought this board. A novatouch with my leopold caps (extremely thick heavy PBT- to the point that they made the novatouch I returned feel completely different) was just too heavy for me to type fast on (the feedback was sublime though). I'm hoping 35 grams will be just about perfect.

I have this board in 45g, and I have already swapped the caps. It is actually pretty easy due the way the clips can drop into the stabilizer as njbair explained a few posts back. While I do enjoy the feel of the switches, fullsize is not really for me. It is a really nice board though.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 20:46:26 »

Is the Massdrop warehouse in New Jersey? Maybe they saw my nickname was njbair and gave me special treatment!

Actually the initial tracking info said it would be here Wednesday, so when it arrived Tuesday afternoon I was thrilled. But you're right, Cleveland is much closer than WA.

My boards:
More

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 20:47:48 »

I have this board in 45g, and I have already swapped the caps. It is actually pretty easy due the way the clips can drop into the stabilizer as njbair explained a few posts back. While I do enjoy the feel of the switches, fullsize is not really for me. It is a really nice board though.

What caps are you using? I'd love to see some pics of this board with another set.

My boards:
More

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 21:00:01 »

What caps are you using? I'd love to see some pics of this board with another set.

I put Granite on the Noppoo, and moved the Noppoo caps to my Poker II. Granite is the only full set I had at the moment so I was limited in my choices. It looks good though, I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 21:01:22 »

I put Granite on the Noppoo, and moved the Noppoo caps to my Poker II. Granite is the only full set I had at the moment so I was limited in my choices. It looks good though, I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Oooo get a pic of the stock Noppoo caps on the Poker, too! These really are nice stock keycaps.

My boards:
More

Offline MPZ

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 13:48:06 »

I'm right there with you on the full size thing. Problem for me is that now that I've tried topre, I can't appreciate the KUL i'm typing on anymore, but 45g is just too heavy for me (at least with pbt on it- which makes it feel significantly better to me). So the EC108 is pretty much the only game in town for me (As I want ANSI). I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I like it.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 13:55:26 »

You gonna take those pictures, inanis?

My boards:
More

Offline SilverFlurri

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 14:53:01 »
Got my 45g from massdrop a couple days ago. Here are my thoughts:

-Seems like good build-quality, solid feeling-although time is the only true test
-Keys feel very smooth (and lighter then 45g imo because of this)
-Has a soft pleasant sound
-Keys are fantastic quality, although I wish in a different color, but easily replaceable because of cherry mx stems
-Hard coded program keys work great (toggle 2mm to 3mm trigger is an interesting option, I prefer 3mm)
-Has space for LED's, might be a good future project later if you want a full LED board instead of just caps/num lock etc
-Love the track at the back for the cord, I know quite a few other keyboards have this as well.
-Fully programmable: this I have yet to experience because so far I can't find the software. It's been referenced in a few places with this picture
If anyone has any info on where to get this program please let me know!

This is my first 'topre' keyboard so can only compare to Mx switches brown/red/black/blue. That being said, I love it, switches feel much much smoother then Mx but it still has a good tactile 'bump' for feedback (important since browns are my fav Mx switches).