Author Topic: Windows 7 + USB/PS2 adapter issues?  (Read 4244 times)

Offline dnm

Windows 7 + USB/PS2 adapter issues?
« on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 13:29:49 »
I finally got my hands on an M13 after lusting after one for a long time (and having purchased a unicomp in the past only to find it was of poorer quality than a $20 logitech dome keyboard).

I bought two different PS2/USB adapters.  The latest one being a Trendnet adapter with HW ID: 0D3D:0001.

I have two laptops.  One runs linux, one runs windows.  They're identical otherwise.  The one running Linux happily picks up the keyboard and mouse 100% of the time and works flawlessly.  It identifies two devices: a USB HID keyboard and a USB HID mouse.

The Windows 7 box refuses to work with them at all.  It doesn't find any drivers at all and says the devices won't start.  I tried manually installing USB HID keyboard drivers, but naturally, it failed.

Anyone have this issue before and know of a sensible solution that doesn't involve throwing the laptop out a window?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Windows 7 + USB/PS2 adapter issues?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 13:35:53 »
I once had a laptop/USB problem that probably came from the keyboard trying to draw too much current when the laptop was on battery power.

A powered USB hub took care of it, but I also did not see the problem when the laptop was plugged in.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dnm

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 13:41:15 »
The laptop is plugged in on a docking station just like the other one that works fine.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:15:57 »
I finally got my hands on an M13 after lusting after one for a long time (and having purchased a unicomp in the past only to find it was of poorer quality than a $20 logitech dome keyboard).

Huh?  What M13 are you talking about?  Is it like the one in the pictures here? 
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:17:45 by Snowdog993 »

Offline dnm

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:18:35 »
Yes.  13H6705.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:27:54 »
Wow.  First time I heard this.  Perhaps it is in need of a bolt mod?  I hope you get it working properly.

Offline dnm

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:42:05 »
And just to confirm I'm not completely insane, I chucked a bootable linux distro onto a usb key, and booted the other laptop on it.  It worked flawlessly.  This is Windows being a pain in the ass.

Offline aref

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 14:43:58 »
I used the adaptor pictured below with two Windows 7 computers, Sony desktop and IBM laptop, with no issues. I used a couple of these on IBM Model Ms/SSKs. The adapter sells for ~$9.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-PS2-Keyboard-USB-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425501556&sr=1-5&keywords=usb+to+ps2+connector

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:04:56 »
The two-in-one adapters for mouse/keyboard to USB are often not the best quality.  You might want to get a cube as pictured and use the other adapter for just the trackpoint.

Also, if your laptop has USB3 and USB2 ports, try using a USB2 port.  Don't know why this is but did work for me once upon a time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:07:50 by E TwentyNine »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:26:51 »
Also, if your laptop has USB3 and USB2 ports, try using a USB2 port. 

Yes, I have found USB3 ports to be very flaky and "not play well with others"
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dnm

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 17:37:36 »
At this point I'm convinced it's a borked windows install.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 22:34:43 »

The Windows 7 box refuses to work with them at all.  It doesn't find any drivers at all and says the devices won't start.  I tried manually installing USB HID keyboard drivers, but naturally, it failed.

Anyone have this issue before and know of a sensible solution that doesn't involve throwing the laptop out a window?

Okay, I thought you were referring to your M13 being of poor quality.  I misunderstood your post.  That part is a relief.
I thought it was in horrible shape or broken.

Try a USB 2.0 port with the trackpoint connected to the green connector and the keyboard connected to the purple connector.  If you have them reversed, it may not work very well with windows 7 if the adapter is good.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:18:05 »
Is it working properly now?  I am presuming you have everything sorted out?

Offline dnm

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:19:57 »
Nope.  I'm convinced it's a borked copy of Windows, but it's a work laptop so I can't go messing with it, so I have to put up with my das keyboard for now.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:23:58 »
Do you get "bangs" in your device manager for the PS/2 to USB adapter?  (Yellow ! points)...  You may have to download the proper driver for the USB adapter.

Offline dnm

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:26:44 »
Yes I do.  And believe me: this ain't my first rodeo.  I used to do this stuff for a living.

There are no drivers for the device; it's designed to just appear as a standard HID mouse and standard HID keyboard.

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:55:37 »
Having read of many glitches with various PS/2-USB converters, I often wonder why the PS/2 bus was abandoned in favor of USB for keyboard and mouse. Are there any modern high-performance PC motherboards that still have a fully compliant PS/2 bus and port(s)?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 23:51:51 »
Yes I do.  And believe me: this ain't my first rodeo.  I used to do this stuff for a living.

There are no drivers for the device; it's designed to just appear as a standard HID mouse and standard HID keyboard.

I used to be in charge of people like you.  I hope you figure it out.  No need for my assistance.

Edit: I will be nice.  Follow these steps EXACTLY.

Open Device Manager

Type device in the Start Search box, and then click Device Manager in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Double-click Keyboard, right-click the keyboard that you use, and then click Uninstall.

Restart the computer.

(Important, do not have it connected when restarting)

Plug the device into the computer. Your computer detects the device and then reinstalls the drivers for the device.

There may be an software issue with your adapter if it works fine with Linux.  This tells me that if the device "bangs" with nothing connected to it, you have to try to update the software for it from Windows Update.

Don't you just love Windows?
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 March 2015, 14:41:01 by Snowdog993 »

Offline dnm

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 11:12:20 »
So after getting angry and digging further, I found the solution to my problem, so I thought I'd update here.

The issue was that Windows had completely lost one of its default USB drivers.

Yay Windows!

To fix it, I did:

copy \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\usb.inf_amd64_neutral_269d7150439b3372\usb.inf \windows\inf
copy \windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\usb.inf_amd64_neutral_269d7150439b3372\usb.PNF \windows\inf

Then, I uninstalled the unknown devices in device manager, and then told Windows to 'look for new hardware'

Everything works beautifully now.

*clicky click click*

Offline SpaceGhost

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 11:21:50 »
Tah-Dah!

Thanks for posting your solution to this problem; I'm sure it will help others at some point -- at some track-point, that is  ;).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 18:27:32 »
As I have noted before, that *uninstall/reboot/reinstall* is usually the first and simplest thing to try.

Frustrating and stupid, yes. Simple and straightforward, yes.

Offline dnm

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 19:06:11 »
And it didn't work.  In the process of trying to fix it, I did that no less than 100 times.

The issue was windows somehow just losing its USB driver files.