Author Topic: [IC] Sagittarius (dates, proxies and US prices announced)  (Read 138739 times)

Offline Ciantha

Re: [IC] Sagittarius (dates, proxies and US prices announced)
« Reply #400 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 09:29:19 »
As such, even if no trade deal is agreed (which is still to be determined) VAT should not be charged again. On the off chance it is, you will be able to reclaim that with the original purchase order as proof following the rules and process in your country.

I would like to urge everyone who lives in an EU country to verify the above with their local customs and tax agencies.

If we use Sweden as an example the Swedish customs agency states explicitly that if the goods are shipped after 31st of December you will have to pay Swedish VAT even if the goods were ordered and paid for before the 31st1,2.

So you'd pay Swedish VAT (25%) on:
the price of the keyboard (though presumable excluding the previously paid VAT) + shipping + duties (though there shouldn't be any duties assuming it's classified either under hs-code 847160 or 847330)

1In Swedish: https://www.tullverket.se/sv/privat/brexitforprivatpersoner.4.2894757916870c7915c2.html
2In English:
https://www.tullverket.se/en/private/brexitwhatdoesitmeanforprivateindividuals.4.311bf4f016e69d6ea0d8f3.html

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #401 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 13:54:27 »
A new member here in GH. I have been eying for an ergo mech and would really, really love this Sagittarius. Before moving to mech, I used Microsoft ergo keeb as my daily, so I am really digging this Sagittarius since I dont see ergo keebs that often. I checked on Prototypist.net since I am in Europe, but could not see this Sagittarius anymore. Is it really impossible for me to get one? TIA.

I believe that the different proxies / vendors will add pages for these group buy keyboards quite late, sometimes a day beforehand. Am I right Upas / Jae? I don't see a page on CannonKeys for the Sagittarius either.

I don't believe this is out of the ordinary.

Welcome to the community! (From a relative n00b such as myself.)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #402 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 19:33:02 »
Ok guys, CannonKeys will open their GB at 11AM EST. Other proxies might vary their times to better attend their regions. I'll post their times here once I have the information.

The proxies will region lock their GBs.
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #403 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 19:36:19 »
A new member here in GH. I have been eying for an ergo mech and would really, really love this Sagittarius. Before moving to mech, I used Microsoft ergo keeb as my daily, so I am really digging this Sagittarius since I dont see ergo keebs that often. I checked on Prototypist.net since I am in Europe, but could not see this Sagittarius anymore. Is it really impossible for me to get one? TIA.

I believe that the different proxies / vendors will add pages for these group buy keyboards quite late, sometimes a day beforehand. Am I right Upas / Jae? I don't see a page on CannonKeys for the Sagittarius either.

I don't believe this is out of the ordinary.

Welcome to the community! (From a relative n00b such as myself.)

Indeed, thei haven't added the pages yet and prolly will a cople days in advance
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #404 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 03:16:43 »
Haven't checked this IC for a while, but pleasantly surprised that the GB is around the corner now. Will definitely try to hop on board - been looking forward to this from the beginning!

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #405 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 03:19:40 »
Is there still a spot for this?

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 03:59:13 »

The GB hasn't run yet.

The Sagittarius keyboard Group Buy will start in Sagittarius season, of course! Beggining in november 21 until november 27 at 11:59 PM EST.

Ok guys, CannonKeys will open their GB at 11AM EST. Other proxies might vary their times to better attend their regions. I'll post their times here once I have the information.

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #407 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 09:55:29 »
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Definitely I will keep an eye on this thread :)

The GB hasn't run yet.

The Sagittarius keyboard Group Buy will start in Sagittarius season, of course! Beggining in november 21 until november 27 at 11:59 PM EST.

Offline CGreat

« Reply #408 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 16:21:09 »

Gondo, I'm pretty confident this beautiful board won't need 6 days to sell 175 units ;). Hoping i can be one of the lucky ones!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #409 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 17:10:04 »

Gondo, I'm pretty confident this beautiful board won't need 6 days to sell 175 units ;). Hoping i can be one of the lucky ones!

You people keep telling me that, yet I persist not to believe this board got so much traction
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2020, 19:35:17 by Gondolindrim »

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #410 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 01:04:55 »
so what are you gonna do with the other 5.99 days after this sells out?

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #411 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 03:28:26 »
so what are you gonna do with the other 5.99 days after this sells out?
Convince Upas for round 2..?!

Offline Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
« Reply #412 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 04:17:59 »
I would like to urge everyone who lives in an EU country to verify the above with their local customs and tax agencies.

If we use Sweden as an example the Swedish customs agency states explicitly that if the goods are shipped after 31st of December you will have to pay Swedish VAT even if the goods were ordered and paid for before the 31st1,2.

the price of the keyboard (though presumable excluding the previously paid VAT) + shipping + duties

Hi again, Gondo,

Sorry to bother you about this crap again.
With this info (I am located in Sweden), this actually means I would get the double taxation - as even if a trade deal is agreed, as GB does not want to be part of the common market any more, a private person would likely still pay VAT on import, already having paid 20% VAT in GB at the time of the buy. Overall, considering extras (PCB, plate), the loss would be around 130 USD - that is a lot of money, TBH.
As a result, I would much rather buy from Ilum, then I know I pay 25% on import, but only on the original price. Due to region locking, that is not a possibility. With the coming political changes, GB is essentially a region of one and EU seems to be effectively locked out as a result. It's the result of ill-informed populist-fueled political decisions (I know Brazil has its share of those), but they impact people in a very real way.
I know this is not Jae's fault, but I am really at a loss as to how to handle this. Would there be a way to soften the region-locking, as I assume, with this situation, Jae may not sell the assigned units (or there will be lots of salt when people are unknowingly hit with the double tax next year)?

Again, sorry that I couldn't contribute to this in a more meaningful way. So, here goes some feedback: This is an excellent and very interesting project and I admire your dedication to it, and your perseverance. I am also very sorry for your loss, this is a beautiful tribute to a beloved friend.

Have a good one!
Johannes

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 04:19:40 »
wait a minute... did the gb date span change? could've sworn I saw this stretch into December :(

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 05:05:47 »
wait a minute... did the gb date span change? could've sworn I saw this stretch into December :(

Sagittarius sign: November 21 – December 21
Group buy: November 21 - November 27

But tbh the GB end date doesn't matter at all, it will sell out in minutes.

Offline titisee5

« Reply #415 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 06:18:27 »
As such, even if no trade deal is agreed (which is still to be determined) VAT should not be charged again. On the off chance it is, you will be able to reclaim that with the original purchase order as proof following the rules and process in your country.

the price of the keyboard (though presumable excluding the previously paid VAT) + shipping + duties (though there shouldn't be any duties assuming it's classified either under hs-code 847160 or 847330)

1In Swedish: https://www.tullverket.se/sv/privat/brexitforprivatpersoner.4.2894757916870c7915c2.html
2In English:
https://www.tullverket.se/en/private/brexitwhatdoesitmeanforprivateindividuals.4.311bf4f016e69d6ea0d8f3.html

I suspect that this is true for all EU countries.
However, even after searching for some time, I was unable to find an official source.

But there is a guy on r/brexit who seems to be sure about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/brexit/comments/jv7lwa/selling_into_europe_this_year_but_not_shipping/gci3l0j/

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2020, 06:25:13 by titisee5 »

Offline LucaLo_

• CK Stan
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 08:02:09 »
Great work Gondo, as always. Look forward to seeing these in people's hands.

Offline ellw

« Reply #417 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:10:46 »

the price of the keyboard (though presumable excluding the previously paid VAT) + shipping + duties

Hi again, Gondo,

With this info (I am located in Sweden), this actually means I would get the double taxation - as even if a trade deal is agreed, as GB does not want to be part of the common market any more, a private person would likely still pay VAT on import, already having paid 20% VAT in GB at the time of the buy. Overall, considering extras (PCB, plate), the loss would be around 130 USD - that is a lot of money, TBH.
As a result, I would much rather buy from Ilum, then I know I pay 25% on import, but only on the original price. Due to region locking, that is not a possibility. With the coming political changes, GB is essentially a region of one and EU seems to be effectively locked out as a result. It's the result of ill-informed populist-fueled political decisions (I know Brazil has its share of those), but they impact people in a very real way.
I know this is not Jae's fault, but I am really at a loss as to how to handle this. Would there be a way to soften the region-locking, as I assume, with this situation, Jae may not sell the assigned units (or there will be lots of salt when people are unknowingly hit with the double tax next year)?

Again, sorry that I couldn't contribute to this in a more meaningful way. So, here goes some feedback: This is an excellent and very interesting project and I admire your dedication to it, and your perseverance. I am also very sorry for your loss, this is a beautiful tribute to a beloved friend.

Have a good one!
Johannes

I have nothing to contribute to the VAT discussion but from past drops (Iron180) Louis (from IlumKB) did say that the region lock was only for the first 5 minutes, and thereafter anyone in the world could purchase. Of course Iron didn't last all of 90 seconds so this was irrelevant, so if Sagittarius makes it in stock past 5 minutes you could probably pick one up from IlumKB.

Offline WhitePlate

• First Grader of Nobody
« Reply #418 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 17:00:04 »
I liked the previous design more.  But I can see the appeal of the newer design. 

:thumb:

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #419 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 11:20:38 »
I'm a bit concerned that us in the middle east are going to find it hard to buy. We often use shipping proxies globally, is that not an option for the MENA buy?

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #420 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 11:41:00 »
I'm a bit concerned that us in the middle east are going to find it hard to buy. We often use shipping proxies globally, is that not an option for the MENA buy?

prototypist.net:

The Sagittarius Group Buy will go live at 4pm UK time - in alignment with Cannon Keys and will be region locked for Day 1 to Europe and MENA. From Day 2 it will be worldwide if any units remain. Limited to 50 units.

Offline musdem

« Reply #421 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 11:45:13 »
Is CannonKeys locked to the US only or all of North America. I'm in Canada and am interested in trying to snag a board.

Offline SirKhamenman

« Reply #422 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:13:27 »
So the GB will start on Prototypist.net on Saturday 21 Nov at 4pm UK time which is 5pm CET time? Perfect, will be waiting in front of my laptop for the GB :D

prototypist.net:

The Sagittarius Group Buy will go live at 4pm UK time - in alignment with Cannon Keys and will be region locked for Day 1 to Europe and MENA. From Day 2 it will be worldwide if any units remain. Limited to 50 units.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #423 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:30:49 »
Is the navy color of the revised version shown in Taeha's stream the same navy color as the prototype he built?

Offline tryhardicious

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:32:03 »
Is the navy color of the revised version shown in Taeha's stream the same navy color as the prototype he built?
Yes, see updated initial post.

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #425 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 02:34:02 »
Gray / Lilac

Will gray and lilac be the same as on this Chimera 65?

Offline orpheo

« Reply #426 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:13:47 »
12. GB announcement

After yesterday's Minterly stream you guys were able to see the new iteration of the case in action with the glorious RGB constellation!

Stream link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/792335918

Dates

:p :p

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #427 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 07:49:28 »

Hi again, Gondo,

Have a good one!
Johannes

First of all, I am really sorry about this whole thing and I want to ask you that you be patient with me as I have stumbled upon it just now and honestly I don't know what to make of it.

I will ask Jae to get in here and respond this. No matter what research I do I still can't decisively answer if you will be hit with a double taxation or not. I recommend you reach out to him and ask those things too.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #428 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:06:40 »
I will ask Jae to get in here and respond this.

That's probably for the best. At this opportunity, Jae could also announce his pricing, or did I miss something?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #429 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:36:57 »
Gray / Lilac

Will gray and lilac be the same as on this Chimera 65?

IIRC the lilac will be the same, the gray will be a slightly lighter shade

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #430 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:37:19 »
Is CannonKeys locked to the US only or all of North America. I'm in Canada and am interested in trying to snag a board.

CK will deal with the Americas and US territories

Offline Mistah

« Reply #431 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 09:18:06 »
Will there be pics of the updated boards before we make our purchase (either here or on the purchase page)?

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #432 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 10:09:20 »
Will there be pics of the updated boards before we make our purchase (either here or on the purchase page)?

Yes! GB page should be up soon

Offline kidpid

« Reply #433 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:06:37 »

Yes, I saw that. The reason I ask that question is because the navy on the pictured revised version of the case looks very different from the navy of the original prototype. I'm curious if the navy colors are the same and it's just a lighting difference, or if they are legitimately different.

Offline tryhardicious

« Reply #434 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:10:40 »

Yes, I saw that. The reason I ask that question is because the navy on the pictured revised version of the case looks very different from the navy of the original prototype. I'm curious if the navy colors are the same and it's just a lighting difference, or if they are legitimately different.
Didn't want to be mean, just thought you didn't read the thread :)

Offline kidpid

« Reply #435 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:12:36 »
Didn't want to be mean, just thought you didn't read the thread :)

Haha, no worries. That wouldn't actually be out of character for me. I should have elaborated on my original question.

Offline ephemeral25

« Reply #436 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 16:15:05 »
Definitely supporting this project! I hope that it's gonna be a success in Europe  :thumb:

Offline phxrbn

• tech. design. real estate.
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 16:17:19 »
Were pictures of the final colors ever posted?

Offline Chungle

« Reply #438 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 19:24:01 »

Gondo said they will be in the GB post which should be posted soon.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #439 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 02:08:58 »
iLumkb actually just revealed them on their page, all of them look really great, but I especially love the Grey-Lilac one. :thumb:
256195-0

Offline Mistah

« Reply #440 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 03:15:26 »
iLumkb actually just revealed them on their page, all of them look really great, but I especially love the Grey-Lilac one. :thumb:
(Attachment Link)

Could you provide a link? I can't seem to find the page for some reason. These pics are kind of rough. The black crush on the blue and black makes it really hard to see. Maybe it's due to how they were exported?

Edit: Daily clack posted here as well https://dailyclack.com/collections/group-buys/products/sagittarius-keyboard-kit?variant=32386931589175

It's the same photos though
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2020, 03:25:47 by Mistah »

Offline tryhardicious

« Reply #441 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 04:12:36 »
Hey Gondo, I just read that the included plate doesn't support iso enter. Are the plate files still going to be open sourced?

Generally I must say I really like this keyboard.
Both design and functionality!
Thanks for the effort you put in.

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #442 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 05:28:43 »
First of all, I am really sorry about this whole thing and I want to ask you that you be patient with me as I have stumbled upon it just now and honestly I don't know what to make of it.

I will ask Jae to get in here and respond this. No matter what research I do I still can't decisively answer if you will be hit with a double taxation or not. I recommend you reach out to him and ask those things too.
Being one of those asking about "double taxation" in the first place, I would like to apologize for the disturbances it has caused. My reply here is a bit long and as such not specific to the Sagittarius GB - I just do not know where else to post this.  :blank:

I would like to give a small update in regards to how this affects Danish customers.
(I know Denmark is a small country, but it is part of the European Union (EU) and at least the rules seem very similar to the Swedish rules on how brexit is handled from an import tax/customs point of view.)

# Double taxation trouble
Having spoken to the Danish authorities on the matter the following can be said:
 - Item ordered and paid for in 2020 -- you pay UK taxes to the vendor at time of purchase *
 - Item shipped on or after January 1st 2021 -- you pay import taxes to local authorities

# Shipping is key
The deciding factor in determining whether you will have to pay import taxes is the shipping date and that alone.
 - If the order is shipped before January 1st 2021 you will not pay import taxes because the UK is still part of the EU.
 - If the order is shipped on or after January 1st 2021 you will pay import taxes (and handling fees) because the UK is no-longer part of the EU.

Let me be clear that this holds true for any order between a UK vendor and an EU customer, it is not restricted in anyway to "our little hobby". But because of the GB nature of being largely a waiting game, this applies to any GB run in 2020 with an expected shipping date in 2021.

# Ease the pain a little?
TL;DR: Ask vendor to refund UK taxes collected at time of purchase.

From the Danish authorities' point of view, the rules are crystal clear on when and how to determine if import taxes must be payed. (They used the term of "goods entering the European Union" which leads me to believe the same rules apply across the EU as such and not just a Danish interpretation.)
It is up to the vendor to refund the UK taxes paid by the customer when placing the order. That is the official statement.
The specifics of how a UK vendor clears this with the UK authorities is unclear to me, but it is abundantly clear to me that the EU is going to collect import taxes based on shipping date and the rest is up to the UK to handle nationally.

* The vendor has to collect these taxes on behalf of the UK/EU authorities and is in no way doing this to annoy anyone - just obeying the rules of trade.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #443 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 08:12:12 »
Hey Gondo, I just read that the included plate doesn't support iso enter. Are the plate files still going to be open sourced?

Generally I must say I really like this keyboard.
Both design and functionality!
Thanks for the effort you put in.

Yes, plate files will be open-sourced!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #444 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 08:12:58 »
GB thread up, waiting for mod approval: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109701

Locking this IC thread. Good luck guys!