Author Topic: [IC] Cajal: A 45% Keyboard - SOLD OUT IN 3 MINUTES  (Read 117654 times)

Offline noorejji

Re: [IC] Cajal: A 45% Keyboard - Renders Up!
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 14:29:26 »
It's a vocal minority. For all we know making it full alpha could decrease its popularity.

Offline Sedula

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 14:51:18 »
It's a vocal minority. For all we know making it full alpha could decrease its popularity.

I don't disagree with the reasoning as far as popularity, but I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish when it's already been made repeatedly clear that the layout is no longer up for debate.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 21:01:09 »
Full alphas, even if it is ortho - joking aside - may give this IC a better outlook.

actually the board has received an extremely warm response, with >1200 IC form responses in under 2 months, and 3 prototypes are currently under production. the layout is not changing at this point. if you want a 50%, I guess you'll have to either buy a TMO50 or wait for my next project. i hope you find what you're looking for.

Wow. If all those IC forms turn into orders your project might produce revenues in the hundred thousands range. Congratulations.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 23:38:43 »
Any news on the Ortho version/plate/pcb?

Absolutely.

(Attachment Link)

Work on an ortho PCB is ongoing, but the ortho plate was designed over the holidays. Considering brass and POM as possible ortho plate materials. Will support 1u x 2, 2u, and 7u spacebar, with the 7u meaning it needs to be a solderable PCB not hotswap. Unlike Neuron, I am thinking I will just make the ortho plate and PCB available for the same price than as an add-on item, so people who want the Cajal in ortho configuration order won't need to spend more.

Damn, this really does look perfect. It's a similar layout to what I'm rocking.
Any way of convincing you into a hotswap PCB instead of purely soldered one for Ortho? :))

Also, what do you think the timeline is for this to go into GB stages, or at least final configurations (i.e colors and options)?

Looking forward to throwing my wallet's contents at ya

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 09:28:21 »
Any way of convincing you into a hotswap PCB instead of purely soldered one for Ortho? :))

Also, what do you think the timeline is for this to go into GB stages, or at least final configurations (i.e colors and options)?

because of the stabilizers for 2u and 7u spacebar, the bottom row can't be hotswap, and if the bottom row will need to be soldered, my current thinking is that we should just make the whole PCB solderable. the question of making the top 3 rows hotswap and the bottom row solderable has been brought up elsewhere, but to me this is a half-measure. the good news w a solderable non-hotswap PCB is that the ortho PCB should also support ALPS. we were going to make it choc switch compatible as well, but i sunk the plate so far that the top of the choc caps wont even come up to the sides of the case  :D

as for timeline, as i said above, 3x prototypes are being made now (2 alu, 1 PC). once they get here i will do QC and see if another iteration of prototypes are necessary, or give everyone a "final update" on here and r/mechmarket. looking at maybe April-ish for GB opening, depending on the things above. i'll give a reasonable few weeks notice before opening, and will probably send out an email to everyone who fills out the IC form when it's open.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 09:40:21 »

because of the stabilizers for 2u and 7u spacebar, the bottom row can't be hotswap, and if the bottom row will need to be soldered, my current thinking is that we should just make the whole PCB solderable. the question of making the top 3 rows hotswap and the bottom row solderable has been brought up elsewhere, but to me this is a half-measure. the good news w a solderable non-hotswap PCB is that the ortho PCB should also support ALPS. we were going to make it choc switch compatible as well, but i sunk the plate so far that the top of the choc caps wont even come up to the sides of the case  :D

as for timeline, as i said above, 3x prototypes are being made now (2 alu, 1 PC). once they get here i will do QC and see if another iteration of prototypes are necessary, or give everyone a "final update" on here and r/mechmarket. looking at maybe April-ish for GB opening, depending on the things above. i'll give a reasonable few weeks notice before opening, and will probably send out an email to everyone who fills out the IC form when it's open.
Awesome news. Haha. Was wondering if chocs were an option, but understand why it'd be hard with this case. Looking forward to seeing the PC option.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:33:45 »

Awesome stuff. I'm genuinely excited man!
Last question I got for you, is the polycarb version finale? And will we have the option to choose color combos with the Knob, or would it come as a singular kit/option?

Thanks mate  :cool:

Offline kfys93

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 06:38:45 »
I would definitely get this if it is a 60/65% board. Hope to see a 65% ver. of this board(or a whole new one) in the future! Nevertheless, love the design and the aesthetics of this board! Awesome work! GLW this project!

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 18:20:53 »
Can't wait to see that polycarb ortho!

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 10:26:12 »
Can't wait to see that polycarb ortho!

same! still waiting for factory production to resume. i know everything has been machined, but i am waiting for anodizing and dyeing of the polycarbonate. soon(tm)!

Offline trogdors_arm

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 22:28:46 »
I am so hyped on these renders and that ortho layout! This board looks so good! I realize we’re still early days, but do we have any estimates for GB? Just trying to prepare my butt wallet.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 15:15:04 »
Any chance at all for 2x2u support for ortho? Was sad to see it not included in the original listing. :(

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 15:37:45 »
Any chance at all for 2x2u support for ortho? Was sad to see it not included in the original listing. :(

hmm not a bad idea, i'll see what we can do.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 15:52:23 »

That would honestly be a HUGE plus for me man, it's how I like to use my orthos <3

Best combination for function layers imo

Offline cosmo10292

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 17:37:51 »
Did i read that right... Hotswap is no more?

Offline Sedula

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 17:57:27 »
Did i read that right... Hotswap is no more?

Pretty sure that's only if you want an ortho layout. The hotswap board was always staggered.

Offline SryImBadAtNaming

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 21:22:53 »
Looks really nice! It's too bad that I can't really afford it right now :(

Offline psxndc

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 22:36:47 »
God gave you two kidneys for times like this. You only need one.
Ortho. Always.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 22:41:21 »
God gave you two kidneys for times like this. You only need one.

I already made peace with mine  :p

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 11:45:39 »
hey yall! i'm happy to announce e-white will be offered as a color in this GB. prototypes in pink polycarbonate, Space Grey, and Bushido Red are almost complete, and i am hoping for a ship date to me sometime next week. there will be (hopefully) at least one month's notice given before the GB runs, which will run on Walletburner.co for simplicity. with coronavirus affecting not just manufacturing but also deeply affecting many customers' lives, i will be monitoring the situation globally and making a decision about when to launch accordingly after the kinks are worked out with the prototypes. stay safe!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:04:28 »
Any plans of running this again in the far future, but with a 1u wider layout (to accommodate ]}, ;: and /?)? I guess that would make it a Cajal 50% :)

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:17:31 »
scroll up, because i think i have been abundantly clear about that topic.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:29:02 »
Thanks, I must've missed that. In that case, I agree with the following sentiments:

first, the demand for this in the interest check form is quite low. 744 people have filled out the form so far (insane), and only 7 have requested something along these lines. to scale this interest, 11 people have requested I make a 65% and 14 have requested a 60% in the form. this means democratically, it isn't something most people interested in the board want added, and pales in comparison to requests for ortholinear support (~60) and a polycarbonate case option (~50), both of which i am working on adding to the final buy.

Just sayin', but using responses to a completely open-ended question to gauge relative interest in unspecified features is going to potentially give you staggeringly inaccurate results. If you actually care about doing it "democratically" (which tbh it's fine if you don't), you should be polling on specific layouts. Otherwise you might end up with a scenario where, say, a majority would prefer Layout A but assumed it wouldn't be on the table so there was no point in asking, while fans of Layout B, while fewer in number, were more bold about requesting it.

It could be that your initial assumptions are right; but there are just too many factors in play to be at all certain about the relevance of responses to an open-end that open-ended.

I believe you may see different result if you have another IC form to choose between full alpha and traditional 45% layout.

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 March 2020, 13:15:17 by konstantin »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:32:07 »

+1 for 2×2u ortho.

With ortho we can get those full alphas, and 2×2u makes it just a tad more usable.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:35:05 »

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:46:55 »
(Attachment Link)

nice.
I'm still waiting for your 50% board after this one if I cannot get one of these.
Believe you said it would be small number raffle style GB, right?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:48:14 »
(Attachment Link)

Right. That's not going to stop people from wanting to use a board whose design they like in a manner that's most convenient for them. :P

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 12:56:20 »
(Attachment Link)

Right. That's not going to stop people from wanting to use a board whose design they like in a manner that's most convenient for them. :P

But then why come into an IC and ask for a change that is completely different than what the designer is looking to do?  Adding another column or row or whatever COMPLETELY changes the design of nearly every aspect of the board including the case.  Asking for Ortho, while still annoying IMO, is a little less intrusive because the 1U setup fits almost everything anyway. 

It's one thing to come into an IC and say "This isn't for me, but it looks nice."  It's completely asinine and bonkers to come into an IC and ask for a completely different layout that will literally change dimensions on a board.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 13:02:18 »
But then why come into an IC and ask for a change that is completely different than what the designer is looking to do?  Adding another column or row or whatever COMPLETELY changes the design of nearly every aspect of the board including the case.  Asking for Ortho, while still annoying IMO, is a little less intrusive because the 1U setup fits almost everything anyway. 

It's one thing to come into an IC and say "This isn't for me, but it looks nice."  It's completely asinine and bonkers to come into an IC and ask for a completely different layout that will literally change dimensions on a board.

Kindly read my post again. I did not ask for an extra column on this board, but on a potential future version/round of the design. The fact that I agree with some of the comments on how the IC form was conducted and interpreted also has nothing to do with asking for design changes to this board.

Since the designer has stated that they will be releasing a 50% board in the future, this discussion can be put to rest. For the time being, I care more about the possibility of having 2×2u ortho on this board, as that would make it more usable for me and thus turn it into a potential purchase.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 05:53:39 by konstantin »

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 13:03:52 »
Can we just enjoy the updates?

On a different note, glad to see e-white come through! Now i know what I'm going for. Any chance for renders of those any time soon?

Also, any updates on 2x2u support on ortho, by any chance? That one im still crossing fingers for!

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 13:22:08 »
Can we just enjoy the updates?

pls, this.

Any chance for renders of those any time soon?

sure, i dont see why not. i'll shoot for a new round of renders to coincide w GB launch but it's more likely you'll see pics of the protos before you see those renders.

Also, any updates on 2x2u support on ortho, by any chance? That one im still crossing fingers for!

i'll have to check again but my understanding is this will smash right into some of the existing stab cutouts. will send an update if it's doable.

let's all stay frosty out there. i am working on plenty of side-projects for after or during Cajal, and when those boards are IC'd, id be happy to discuss them. for now, let's keep this focused on this board as it is and what features you'd like added that don't require a complete redesign.

Offline Top Right Logo

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 14:25:54 »
If the 2x2U is possible, would love to see it.  Definitely my favorite ortho layout. Not sure of the majority though so no need to force it.

Offline abellp327

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 14:36:11 »
Count me in!! loving this

Offline Hapi

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 14:39:42 »
Alps support would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 14:46:41 »
Alps support would be nice

impossible on the staggered version due to the hotswap sockets, but definitely going in the ortho version. you'll need a 1.2mm plate made by laserboost. as with all my projects, plate files will be avail after the GB.

Offline Hapi

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 14:48:47 »
Fantastic!!

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 15:03:58 »

i'll have to check again but my understanding is this will smash right into some of the existing stab cutouts. will send an update if it's doable.

oi, if it's the stabs for the 1x2u layout I wouldn't mind forgoing it altogether haha, closer to your original staggered design anyhow  ;) :p

No but I do hope it works out somehow, this is legit as close as endgame could ever get for me in ortho layouts

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 15:06:45 »
Rotary encoders ftw

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 19:28:20 »
Damn. Def wanna do an Alps Ortho with that 7u space.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 20:31:48 »
Probably not the best place to ask, but it's on topic-ish: what's so great/different about Alps compared to MX?

Ortho. Always.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 20:51:04 »
Probably not the best place to ask, but it's on topic-ish: what's so great/different about Alps compared to MX?

Nothing really. Just different. Feel and sound very different.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:50:54 »

Just ordered an Alps switch tester!
Ortho. Always.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:53:16 »

Just ordered an Alps switch tester!
That's pretty tight. Yeah. Theyre just no longer produced. Harder to find. Expensive, depending on what your looking for. Honestly it's a cool experiment for someone whose never used them before, and a go-to for someone who has and really liked them. But MX switches are great too.

Offline Tobu

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 13:09:35 »
Missed your neuron boards. 100% in on this one.

Offline Meowsaur

• I don't like that.
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 20:04:14 »
Not a native 40% user, but I really, really like this.

Any possibility of alternative bottom row support (1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.25)?
Understandable if not; I'm likely in the minority with this one.

Offline MunkaMinka

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 20:50:13 »
Very very excited and in for this.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 19:22:32 »
Forgot to mention in my google form but +1 for non-hotswap PCB option, even if i have to pay extra :D

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 23:42:14 »
Hauntingly beautiful ... rly eta? :)

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 12:45:02 »
Missed your neuron boards. 100% in on this one.
Very very excited and in for this.

thx so much yall!

Not a native 40% user, but I really, really like this.

Any possibility of alternative bottom row support (1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.25)?
Understandable if not; I'm likely in the minority with this one.

unlikely in R1 due to hotswap, but the design choice to go with split spacebar was because sub-50%s really benefit from having one split spacebar as an easily accessible Fn key. it really opens up the layout and makes a 2 as easy to type as a capital T. since this is basically just an elaborated Neuron, I went with the most popular configuration of that board, but perhaps a full-size spacebar solderable PCB in the future (or R2) will make that possible.

Forgot to mention in my google form but +1 for non-hotswap PCB option, even if i have to pay extra :D

unlikely for staggered layout, but offered on the ortho PCB. If the feel is off while daily driver testing the staggered PCB, the design choice will change, but offering 3 PCBs is just too much lol.

Hauntingly beautiful ... rly eta? :)

I just received 3 prototypes (1 x Space Grey, 1 x Bushido Red, 1 x Cotton Candy Pink PC) for testing and evaluation. Assuming there aren't any issues with fit, feel, or function, the biggest unknown right now is the international coronavirus pandemic. While I do not anticipate issues with production, I know many people whose jobs are completely evaporating at the moment, and I would hate for the group-buy to coincide with a time of financial and social insecurity for people who have watched and supported this project from the beginning. I will keep a keen eye on things and make a decision after testing.

also edit: we are above 1500 responses to the IC form. y'all are absolute a n i m a l s. thanks so much for the support!
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 13:10:06 by walletburner »

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 13:06:57 »

I just received 3 prototypes (1 x Space Grey, 1 x Bushido Red, 1 x Cotton Candy Pink PC) for testing and evaluation. Assuming there aren't any issues with fit, feel, or function, the biggest unknown right now is the international coronavirus pandemic. While I do not anticipate issues with production, I know many people whose jobs are completely evaporating at the moment, and I would hate for the group-buy to coincide with a time of financial and social insecurity for people who have watched and supported this project from the beginning. I will be keep a keen eye on things and make a decision after testing.

Amazing! Cant wait to see the prototypes! Thanks for the update!