Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING  (Read 186111 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING
« Reply #550 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 15:37:29 »
Shipment notification! :D Now to try and stop refreshing DHL every 5 minutes  :))

Yay! All the DHL boxes that got shipment notifications should be going out today. The remaining USPS and UPS parcels will be picked up en masse on Monday, so those tracking numbers won't go live until quite then. But in any case most people, both in the USA and abroad, should be getting their boxes next week.  :D

I still have several orders to work through, but I'd say I've boxed and labeled 75% of the cases at this point. I did have some finishes that either never showed up or had cosmetic blemishes. I'll be reaching out to affected people later today or tomorrow to figure out how to handle those situations. I have rush replacements already on the way, but given that I'm already shipping later than I'd hoped, I'll also offer refunds or free r2.5 finish upgrades to folks affected by the shortfall. I just couldn't bring myself to ship out cases that didn't meet my standards; I'd rather mildly disappoint some people than ship cases with my name on them that had cosmetic flaws--especially with a r2.5 around the corner, which means that this round wasn't the last time these would be available.

Again, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for supporting this project. The machine shop did an amazing job as always, but the anodizing vendor this time caused a lot of hiccups and delays, but I've got a new production strategy for future projects/rounds that should hopefully smooth over and prevent such difficulties. In the meantime, I have really appreciated everyone's patience and understanding while I've gone back and forth with the factory to ensure that the cases we all got were as high quality as I could make them.

As I've said so many times before: keyboard people are awesome. <3

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #551 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 18:50:48 »
Ok, finally got everything put together. I'm in love!

Link to gallery http://imgur.com/a/VU8Db
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 August 2017, 19:08:05 by TheEerieCold »
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #552 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 19:21:26 »

Show Image

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing these pics. The keyset is an excellent complement to the case. :)

Offline consolation

« Reply #553 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 21:30:11 »

That's awesome, the colour match is uncanny. Norbauer, you really need a gallery page on your website...

I'll be reaching out to affected people later today or tomorrow to figure out how to handle those situations. I have rush replacements already on the way, but given that I'm already shipping later than I'd hoped, I'll also offer refunds or free r2.5 finish upgrades to folks affected by the shortfall....

Take the free upgrade you fools!  :D
  • You are going to get the awesome, awesome, powder finish for free!
  • Your box is going to have the geeky cool "//Round 2.5" on it.
Having //Round 1 is pretty cool, but so is 2.5 - especially that it just happened, and isn't a company "trying too hard." The rest of us just have a boring 2...
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 August 2017, 21:42:03 by consolation »

Offline autobot

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 22:45:28 »

Show Image

Nice! Does anybody know how the retro refrigerator finish looks against GMK TU2?

Offline losthumans

« Reply #555 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 23:05:01 »
Shipment notification! :D Now to try and stop refreshing DHL every 5 minutes  :))

Yay! All the DHL boxes that got shipment notifications should be going out today. The remaining USPS and UPS parcels will be picked up en masse on Monday, so those tracking numbers won't go live until quite then. But in any case most people, both in the USA and abroad, should be getting their boxes next week.  :D

I still have several orders to work through, but I'd say I've boxed and labeled 75% of the cases at this point. I did have some finishes that either never showed up or had cosmetic blemishes. I'll be reaching out to affected people later today or tomorrow to figure out how to handle those situations. I have rush replacements already on the way, but given that I'm already shipping later than I'd hoped, I'll also offer refunds or free r2.5 finish upgrades to folks affected by the shortfall. I just couldn't bring myself to ship out cases that didn't meet my standards; I'd rather mildly disappoint some people than ship cases with my name on them that had cosmetic flaws--especially with a r2.5 around the corner, which means that this round wasn't the last time these would be available.

Again, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for supporting this project. The machine shop did an amazing job as always, but the anodizing vendor this time caused a lot of hiccups and delays, but I've got a new production strategy for future projects/rounds that should hopefully smooth over and prevent such difficulties. In the meantime, I have really appreciated everyone's patience and understanding while I've gone back and forth with the factory to ensure that the cases we all got were as high quality as I could make them.

Thank you for the update, do you know if this affects any of the Originative orders? Thank you!

Offline nevaenuf

« Reply #556 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 00:26:41 »
Got mine today!  Packing superb.  Felt all giddy opening it.  Thanks!

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #557 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 02:15:42 »

Please tell me that my white powder coated case isn’t affected.

Offline engra

« Reply #558 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 05:55:41 »

Show Image

what colorway is that snapper?

Offline flyingalbatross1

« Reply #559 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 06:06:57 »
Is there a notification list we can join for R2.5? I'm on the Norbauer website mailing list - would a mailshot come through there just to let us know when r2.5 gets going?

Cheers

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #560 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 09:05:59 »

Show Image

what colorway is that snapper?

That would be a Gravestone snapper  :D
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline sysfury

« Reply #561 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 16:50:47 »
Nooooooo. Got the excuse email. No tactical gray for me :'(

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #562 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 17:05:09 »
Also got a mail but only that the white powder coating will need a few more days and should be done next week. So happy that I’ll still get it.  :D

Offline jimmydosveces

« Reply #563 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 17:30:26 »

Would you be able to provide photos of the effected Tactical Gray cases? Personally, I'm uninterested in any of the powder choices, and even more uninterested in not getting a case.

Offline sysfury

« Reply #564 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 17:42:04 »

Would you be able to provide photos of the effected Tactical Gray cases? Personally, I'm uninterested in any of the powder choices, and even more uninterested in not getting a case.

These are the photos linked in the mail. If you didn't get the mail, maybe you were chosen for one of the good cases

http://norbauer.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=03bd2d8a9d2480d7fda4743d1&id=16e5b97365&e=a6efdf951d

http://norbauer.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=03bd2d8a9d2480d7fda4743d1&id=16e5b97365&e=a6efdf951d

Offline autobot

« Reply #565 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 18:17:34 »
Hey Norbauer, can you explain what will be offered in r2.5? This would help me decide what to do with my gray case.

Offline consolation

« Reply #566 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 19:53:47 »
... Personally, I'm uninterested in any of the powder choices, and even more uninterested in not getting a case...

I would strongly recommend taking a second look at the powder coated cases; it doesn't feel like a painted case, if that's what worries you, and it's a finer texture than 60s - 70s shrink coat. It's amazingly tactile, you will look for excuses to stroke your case, as a bonus, touching the case leaves no fingerprints. The powder coating gives the case the gravitas of a high end item that is quite hard to put into words. Now - admittedly, for some keycap sets, an anodised finish would be more appropriate; but, unless you are matching your case to a specific set, imho, you won't go wrong with a powder coat. In fairness, this is based on my experience with an Enigma Black only, so my comments apply to that finish predominantly; but, I ordered enough powder coated bits'n'bobs in a past day job to make a fair guess at what the smoother finishes would be like. It'll be interesting to hear the experience of others, as they get their orders into their dirty little mitts...
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 19:58:24 by consolation »

Offline jimmydosveces

[GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING
« Reply #567 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 20:01:14 »
... Personally, I'm uninterested in any of the powder choices, and even more uninterested in not getting a case...

I would strongly recommend taking a second look at the powder coated cases, it doesn't feel like a painted case if that's what worries you and it's a finer texture than 60s - 70s shrink coat. It's amazingly tactile, you will look for excuses to stroke your case and, touching the case, leaves no fingerprints. The powder coating gives the case the gravitas of a high end item that is quite hard to put into words. Now - admittedly, for some keycap sets, an anodised finish would be more appropriate; but, unless you are matching your case to a specific set, imho, you won't go wrong with a powder coat. In fairness, I'm basing this on my experience with Enigma Black only, and my comments apply to that finish predominantly; but I ordered enough powder coated bit's and bob's in my past day job, to make a fair guess at what the smoother finishes would feel like. - it'll be interesting to hear the experience of others, as they get their orders into their dirty little mitts...

Powder coat is an amazing process, and fantastic finish. The color is my concern. The white, black, and blue all look wonderful, but don't have a place on my desk. The tactile gray was set to compliment my anthracite gray Phanteks Evolv case.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 20:02:58 by jimmydosveces »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #568 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 21:55:53 »

For those who didn't get the email but are are curious: some of the tactical gray cases (bead-blast only, not brushed) came back with a slight mismatch between the two halves of the case. Those photos above show the issue on the affected cases. The issue isn't really visible in natural light, which is why I think the inspectors missed it. However, as you can see in the second photo, it's more noticeable in warm light. This at least makes me feel good about my choice to do a final in-person inspection, as I was the only one of the three parties who inspected these to catch the issue.

Some people might not be troubled by this cosmetic flaw, but I don’t consider these cases to be up to my personal standard of quality, so I couldn’t in good conscience send them out to folks without first offering an alternative. I'm giving folks the option of a powder coat upgrade, a partial refund and the case, or a full refund and no case.

A couple of the gray cases did come back with a correct match, so you're only affected if you ordered a bead-blasted tactical gray and didn't get a shipment confirmation already (I've been sending emails to affected people today and just have a few left to send). In order to be fair, I selected who got the good gray ones based on the sequence in which people ordered.

If your order is affected, another option for those committed to getting an anodized case is you can just ask me to put you in r2.5 for a silver or black case, but that would mean waiting at least another month. I didn't even mention that option in my email because I couldn't in good conscience ask people to wait even longer. But if you're fine with it, of course I am too.

Unfortunately, I'm not offering blue or gray next time as anodized colors. Anything other than clear/silver or black just causes way too many problems to be worth it when one needs two chunks of aluminum of different volumes and surface areas that need to match. Getting a correct color match on the blue color greatly delayed the project, and now this issue with the gray cases. Unusual anodizing colors are cool, but this gray case issue will end up having cost me so much money; it's an experience I'd rather not repeat--especially since I've been able to get great results in exotic finishes with powder lately.

I've just about shipped all the orders that are ready (the vast majority turned out great!) and informed anyone affected either by a slight delay or a cosmetic defect. I'll probably post r2.5 in the next couple of days. That way I can batch any r2 replacements in with those.

Thanks so much for hanging in there with me everybody! :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #569 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:02:25 »
Hey Norbauer, can you explain what will be offered in r2.5? This would help me decide what to do with my gray case.

As mentioned above, anodized finishes will be reduced to two in order avoid production risk/delays
  • Tactical Black (from r1)
  • Aerospace Aluminum (from r2)

To compensate, the powder finishes are being expanded
  • Retro Refrigerator (overwhelming community favorite from r2) a sort of green-shifted powder blue—medium gloss with no texture
  • Enigma Black a gentle textured black, reminiscent of 1940s-era electronics
  • Royal Wrinkle a more aggressive black wrinkle texture, similar to vintage Royal typewriters
  • Space Station White a pure white
  • Monte Carlo Red an aggressive red wrinkle coat designed to evoke the finish on Ferrari engine blocks
  • Venice Beach a totally-not-messing-around hot pink
  • Galaxy Console a special tan textured finish designed to complement the forthcoming Galaxy Class keyset from Roddenberry.com on MassDrop

Offline autobot

« Reply #570 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:05:40 »
Nice, too bad I can't choose Venice beach instead of tactical gray. Venice beach sounds fantastic!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #571 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:08:05 »
Nice, too bad I can't choose Venice beach instead of tactical gray. Venice beach sounds fantastic!

Were you one of the people who got the color mis-match email? If so, you can totally get that color! Just email me.

« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:11:32 by norbauer »

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #572 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:09:04 »
I unfortunately was one of the ones with a tactical gray case. I'm not opposed to getting the powder coat option, but I guess I have a question for you all. I really like the space station white and enigma black, and am interested in seeing examples of the new colors, but what would go best with my current setup?

I really love my caps, so I don't see changing them any time soon.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #573 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:19:17 »
Darn, im set on tactical gray but its no longer offered :(

Offline norbauer

« Reply #574 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:23:09 »
Darn, im set on tactical gray but its no longer offered :(

FWIW, my next case (RealForce 87U) has the seam on the underside, so it avoids this issue and will be offered in dark gray (hard anodized). Due to the way the Cooler Master plate is designed, however, I needed to put the seam on the sides on this case, which makes gray problematic. Sometimes the anodizing shop hits the mark with the grays and blues, and oftentimes they don't. It's just too much of a crapshoot.

I could probably add an r2.5 dark gray powder finish if folks are especially keen.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #575 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:26:58 »
Hi Norb:

Have you considered cerakote options for future rounds? It's extremely durable (far more so than powder coat), and comes in a wide array of colors, many of which cannot be achieved with standard anodization.

Thanks,

P
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline autobot

« Reply #576 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 22:38:19 »

Were you one of the people who got the color mis-match email? If so, you can totally get that color! Just email me.

Show Image

Yes! Count me in! I'll reply to your email! Thank you so much!

Offline zslane

« Reply #577 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 00:10:01 »
Is there an example of what the Galaxy Console tan will look like?

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #578 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 00:12:30 »
Oh man that pink is amazing. Please please please do a purple to go with Laser!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #579 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 00:18:57 »

Yes, I'm going to do a photo tomorrow. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #580 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 00:20:01 »

Can you post some pics of the color you're looking for?

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #581 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 01:16:07 »

Possibly a purple similar to GMK's DY (see https://imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/sS8geqB ) or maybe something a little more exotic like a metallic purple such as this Candy Purple https://www.powderbuythepound.com/candy-purple.html.

Offline autobot

« Reply #582 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 07:50:07 »

Possibly a purple similar to GMK's DY (see https://imgur.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/sS8geqB ) or maybe something a little more exotic like a metallic purple such as this Candy Purple https://www.powderbuythepound.com/candy-purple.html.

The second purple would be a great match for laser. Ugh, now I'm hesitant about my Venice beach choice, lol!

I'm looking for a case to match GMK Laser as well.

Offline TheCanisDirus

« Reply #583 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 09:00:02 »

Yes, I'm going to do a photo tomorrow. :)

I'm interested to see this tan!  Was one of the ones unfortunately affected by the grey mismatch.  Sucks a crazy amount but it's not your fault.  Thanks for at least giving us some options.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #584 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 10:41:03 »
Can we also see examples of what you mean by more aggressive textures?
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #585 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 13:00:28 »
I was also one of the ones affected by the Tactical Gray issue and can't decide what to do.

The key set I would most like to use with this board is GMK Carbon but I can't decide if Enigma Black or Space Station White would match better. Typically though I'm not one to keep a set on a board forever so other sets I may use are GMK Hyperfuse, GMK Nautilus (when it arrives), and GMK Laser (if it ever launches).

I'd appreciate any advice!

Offline Auk

« Reply #586 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 13:22:10 »
Are all notifications sent? I haven't heard anything either way, but I would've been very late on the final day for ordering so expect to be near, if not actually last in the queue.

The delay is still not a problem since I am without keyboard and keycaps for the moment anyway.

Offline zslane

« Reply #587 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 13:34:04 »
I was also one of the ones affected by the Tactical Gray issue and can't decide what to do.

The key set I would most like to use with this board is GMK Carbon but I can't decide if Enigma Black or Space Station White would match better. Typically though I'm not one to keep a set on a board forever so other sets I may use are GMK Hyperfuse, GMK Nautilus (when it arrives), and GMK Laser (if it ever launches).

I also plan to use these cases with Carbon and Nautilus, which is why I ordered a Tactical Gray and a Galactic Blue. However, I went with the brushed texture on both, so I seem to have avoided the color mismatch issue. I really think Carbon would look best on Tactical Gray, but if that's not an option, then I feel black is your next best bet. Nautilus is only really going to look its best with a dark blue case, IMO, so I'm not sure that black is going really serve Nautilus nearly as well.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #588 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 13:52:00 »
Can we also see examples of what you mean by more aggressive textures?

There's a few pixtures from before:
https://shop.norbauer.com/products/factory-second-prototype-coolermaster-case and

I'm giving folks the option of a powder coat upgrade, a partial refund and the case, or a full refund and no case.

Hey Norbauer, if anyone opts for the full refund, let me know. I'll pick up their keyboard and pay for the powder coating so you don't just have a case laying around not pulling its weight.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #589 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 14:15:21 »

I found this image with space station white that looks pretty cool

I'm considering the white myself, but I know enigma black would look good also... tough decision.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 August 2017, 14:27:16 by elcubismo »

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #590 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 15:11:02 »
Thanks for the advice guys. I actually like that combo of Space Station White/GMK Carbon more than I thought I would. In theory white + off/white alphas just seemed meh. Still leaning toward black though as it's the safest bet. If purple is an option though I'll definitely consider that since it would match GMK Hyperfuse and GMK Laser perfectly.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #591 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 16:00:18 »

The second purple would be a great match for laser. Ugh, now I'm hesitant about my Venice beach choice, lol!

I'm looking for a case to match GMK Laser as well.

The second purple does look really sweet, I would definitely buy another case if that or a similar color could be offered.

Offline zslane

« Reply #592 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 16:03:38 »
Yeah, GMK Carbon is too dark and saturated to really go well with white. Black, while not as good as dark gray (IMO), is a much better choice than white for matching up with GMK Carbon.

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #593 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 16:20:28 »
Agreed. Carbon looks terrible on white.
Black is also my next choice if dark gray isn't available. Personally i dont like the powder coated look and texture.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #594 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 16:27:47 »
That's my photo haha.

I actually like Carbon more with the white KUL case because it's slightly off white. Here's a side by side comparison. White KUL with SA Carbon on the left and the Space Station White case with GMK Carbon on the right.

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #595 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 16:30:10 »
That's my photo haha.

I actually like Carbon more with the white KUL case because it's slightly off white. Here's a side by side comparison. White KUL with SA Carbon on the left and the Space Station White case with GMK Carbon.

Show Image

I agree with you. Looks fine with Space Station White but looks better with KUL.

Anyone have a pic with GMK (or SA) Carbon with Enigma Black?

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #596 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 16:43:25 »
Anyone have thoughts about my caps? Like the space station, but not sure it will mesh well with my blanks
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 August 2017, 09:03:59 by elcubismo »

Offline HighNoon

« Reply #597 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 17:00:44 »
Amyone have thoughts about my caps? Like the space station, but not sure it will mean well with my blanks

Honestly I think either white or black would look fine. Since you have white/white-ish alphas I'd probably go with black for a little contrast

Offline Longlong14

« Reply #598 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 17:01:19 »
That's my photo haha.

I actually like Carbon more with the white KUL case because it's slightly off white. Here's a side by side comparison. White KUL with SA Carbon on the left and the Space Station White case with GMK Carbon on the right.

[img width=640 height=423]http://i.imgur.com/ScpTBTT.jpg[img]
it probably looks great in person. Hard to tell from a picture

Offline norbauer

« Reply #599 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 17:01:55 »

The idea is to evoke the textured tan finish used on computer consoles and equipment throughout TNG.