Author Topic: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014  (Read 34078 times)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
Re: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 15:18:24 »
signed up!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 23:00:32 »
Just signed up! Is it still possible to join the tour? This looks like an awesome tester!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 08 March 2014, 23:36:04 »
The tour is closed.  I may make a round 2 out of the new sign ups.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:13:49 »
Just got it yesterday. This thing is awesome! I'll be posting my mini-review in the next couple of days.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline zeroni13

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:52:36 »
To bad I'm in the EU, I definitely want to try this sometime! And I have to give it to you Nubs, well done on the tester!
Phantom with Silver Vortex Case   Keychron Q6 Pro ISO Knob

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 11 March 2014, 16:57:02 »
OK, here's my review:

Linears:

My only experience with linear switches has been with vintage blacks, so when I tried out the stock red and black, they felt gross and scratchy. I think I'm spoiled now and would have to use lubed or vintage switches if I were to use linears. It's hard to tell with this switch tester, but I much prefer stock reds to any other weighting. Since it's kind of annoying to try to float without tactility, it's best to have a fairly light spring since you're bottoming out on every stroke—that's why the reds are my favorite. 62g is OK, but it's actually slightly too heavy for me. 55g feels great. I might try getting some 55g springs and tearing the vintage blacks out of an old cherry board to get the perfect linear switch :thumb:
Oh—and ghost reds! They're OK. A bit too heavy for me. I don't think I'd use them unless I were trying to float on linears. I bet they'd be good for gaming, actually, since it's easy to sit around the actuation point.
I also forgot linear greys. The only thing these switches seem good for is spacebars. They're ridiculous for an entire board, unless you're the hulk.

Tactile:

I've typed on stock clears and 62g clears before. While I enjoy both, the stock clears are a bit too heavy for me, so I prefer the 62gs. On this tester, the browns were completely new to me. I've heard a lot of bad things about browns, but they don't actually feel that bad. I can see why they feel like a red with a grain of sand stuck in them when you press the key extremely slowly, but at normal speed, they feel like reds with a hair of tactility. I think they'd be very nice and light, and would prevent some of the false actuations you can get with reds.
The clears were...odd. I'm not sure if they're vintage clear stems, but they felt much different than my new (but worn down) clears on my filco. They just felt less tactile and scratchier than any clears I've used, and the 62g one was very sticky. I think they're either vintage or very worn down, because mine stick with any springs less than 62g and no lube, and these didn't stick at all, even with 45g springs. I'd have to say, if you haven't tried clears before, I don't think that this tester gives a good impression of stock clears new from the cherry factory. Perhaps it gives a good impression of vintage clears. It's hard to say since I've only tried new ones.
Also, tactile greys feel like heavier clears. No me gustan.

Clicky:

My first mechanical keyboard was a daskeyboard with mx blues. Since I've tried other switches, clicky switches have become very "meh" for me. I hate the sound, and I dislike that the tactility decreases with lower weighted springs. The greens and 80g blues are also just too heavy for me.
The only clicky switches that I liked were the whites and the jailhouse blues. Some people might criticize me by saying that I only like the rarer switches because they're rare, but I legitimately prefer whites because of their softer click, and I could see myself using 55g or 62g whites in the future.
The jailhouse blue was very cool. Since the actuation point is right at the top, and the force required after the bump gets up to a similar level as at the actuation point, it seems like it would be quite easy to float with these. They also feel more tactile than other comparably weighted clicky switches.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:39:37 »
Make sure CPT is back in town before you send it out to him. (I don't know how long his trip is.)

Just so everyone in this tour knows, I am back in the States.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 11:43:34 »
Make sure CPT is back in town before you send it out to him. (I don't know how long his trip is.)

Just so everyone in this tour knows, I am back in the States.

Welcome back.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 18:52:47 »
Just FYI everyone, I got the testers today. I'm thinking I might take the full week with the tester but we'll see.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 19:20:40 »
Just FYI everyone, I got the testers today. I'm thinking I might take the full week with the tester but we'll see.

Glad it arrived intact. When I got it, some of the switches (jailhouse blue and ghost red) were falling out of the plate (on the supplemental tester), since some of the cutouts are a bit loose. Just be wary of that when repacking, etc.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 19:41:54 »
Knew I should have super glued those in place too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:22:21 »
Oh ****, I didn't realize it was a week today. I wont' make it out of work and get to the PO in time today. It will go out tomorrow. Sorry, I ****ed up :(

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:56:19 »
Oh ****, I didn't realize it was a week today. I wont' make it out of work and get to the PO in time today. It will go out tomorrow. Sorry, I ****ed up :(

BANNED FROM TOURS

jk I should be banned because I've not left a review of the blue Alps yet :(

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:49:33 »
Do you still have that? I wanna check it out.

You said you'd tell me  :'(
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:51:02 »

I FORGOT!!!

sorry :(

But it's okay because I have a Blue Alps 60% now. PM me if/when you want to check it out :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:52:03 »

I FORGOT!!!

But it's okay because I have a Blue Alps 60% now. PM me if/when you want to check it out :)

It's cool, PM inbound.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 19:51:33 »

Only watch if you delight in swear words:

I FORGOT!!!

Can I...can I touch it?  Can I touch your little keyboard?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 20:09:10 »

I FORGOT!!!

Can I...can I touch it?  Can I touch your little keyboard?

PM me if you're serious and we can work something out ;).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 20:53:09 »
I want to touch riotonthebay's keyboard too!

And as promised, the tour was sent to Sniping today. I'll be posting a review soonTM.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:54:00 »
Here's my quick review of the switch tester. I'll also be formatting this according to the general feel of the switches.

Linear switches: I think that the stock vintage black suited me the best. I'm actually not a fan of the light linear switches like many people are, seeing that 55g vintage black is a very popular choice for linear keyboards. I think that the weight on the vintage black is very close to being perfect for me. It may be a tad too heavy, but they should feel great once lubed. The 55g black switch already felt too light for me, and I know that with lube it will feel even lighter. The difference between vintage black and other switches is very noticeable in terms of the smoothness of the switch, so I think that vintage black should be the go-to switch for every linear switch keyboard.

Tactile switches: To me, clears are superior to browns because of the larger bump, so whatever the weight of the springs are, I will always prefer the clear over the brown. My favorite weight is the 45g for the clears, I like how it's effortless to press yet the bumps is still extremely pronounced and distinct. If I would have to choose a second place in terms of weight for the clears I would choose 67g, The tactile grey was nice, I think that the weight feels pretty good with the big bump.

Clickies: I'm a fan of greens, so stock greens, no blues for me. There was a lot of variation in the clickiness of the white switches, which was a big turn-off for me. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the weight of the keys, but the 45g white barely clicked at all while the 67g white clicked like a blue or a green. I thought the jailhouse blue was really nice though. I expected it to feel something like a tactile switch, but it was actually pretty clicky and I like how the click moved closer to the top of the switch, instead of being in the middle.

Ghost black wasn't bad, but I still like the vintage black better.

The switch tester will be going out on Monday next week, I have some friends that want to come over and try it this weekend so I'll be holding onto the tester until the end of the week.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 22:31:37 »
Here's my quick review of the switch tester. I'll also be formatting this according to the general feel of the switches.

[...]

The switch tester will be going out on Monday next week, I have some friends that want to come over and try it this weekend so I'll be holding onto the tester until the end of the week.
Did the order this was going around in change at some point? Anyway, feel free to edit me out of it or bump me down to the end, as I’m going to be out of the country from mid-April to mid-May.

Or if it’s somewhere in the Bay Area, I’d be glad to meet up with folks.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 01:52:41 »
I should have offered some 45g o-ring mod jailhouse blues for this tester.  Nonclicky, tactile, and wonderful.  The click remains only if the two parts of the blue stem still move with respect to each other.  It's difficult to achieve uniformity if trying to keep them clicky. I much prefer the normal non click version.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 09:03:05 »
Did the order this was going around in change at some point? Anyway, feel free to edit me out of it or bump me down to the end, as I’m going to be out of the country from mid-April to mid-May.

Or if it’s somewhere in the Bay Area, I’d be glad to meet up with folks.

Not that I remember, but I know a couple people needed to change placement in the list and they might have been one of them.  Unfortunately, I can't access the PMs related to it and am getting error messages when I go looking.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 09:45:33 »
Nubbs - did you get my shipping info?  I believe I pmed you but the original post still says you need it. 
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:21:22 »
Here's my review of this tester :D.

I’ve owned my own switch tester for a while and because of the meets I’ve been to, I’ve pretty much tried all the switches on this tour. I’ve also done another spring swap review, which can be found here if you’re interested. But I thought it would be fun to revisit the modified switches and see what I currently thought of them at this period in time.

So to start off, I’m going to list all the switches I don’t like on the tester. Turns out that the switches I don’t like are pretty similar to my previous experiences and tests

Switches I Don’t Like
  • 62g Black – It doesn’t seem to reset properly so it feels odd. The reset feels very off. Like it’s just strong enough to return but not quite.
  • 45g and 55g Blues – The springs are too light and the wonderful clicky-ness that I love in Blues feels very weak.
  • Stock, 45g, 55g, and 62g Brown – All of these switches suffer from my typical complaint of Browns: I don’t think the tactile bump feels right. It’s so weak. At times, especially at high typing speeds, the switches feel linear or linear with an odd bottom out. Like something is jammed inside the switch. It’s almost if the bump wants to be there but it just gives out instead. And the 45g also felt sticky to me.
  • 45g and 55g Clears – These feel too much like Browns. My dislike for Browns can be seen in the paragraph above.
  • 62g Clear – Like the 62g Black, the reset feels weird so it doesn’t feel like a Clear switch to me. It feels more like a Brown switch. The return is just off and the tactile bump feels kind of off as well.
  • 80g Clear – Too heavy.
  • Linear and Tactile Grey – Too heavy. People say that Blacks would be fatiguing to type on for an extended period of time, that’s how I feel about the Grey switches. I do like the tactile bump in the Tactile Grey though. But that makes sense since Tactile Grey switches go in the spacebar of Cherry boards that have Clears in them.
  • Red – Too light
  • 45g White – I think the spring is too light and it doesn’t feel like it wants to reset properly.
  • 62g White – The return/rebound force feels stronger than the actuation force. I don’t like how the forces don’t feel equal.

Switches I Thought Felt Like Stock Switches
  • 67g Black – Felt like a stock Black
  • 80g Black – Felt like a stock Linear Grey
  • 62g Blue – Felt like a stock Blue
  • 80g Blue – Felt like a stock Green
  • 67g Clear – Felt like a stock Clear
  • 55g White – Felt like a stock Blue
  • 80g White – Felt like a stock White

Switches That Surprised me
  • Jailhouse Blues (Solder Locked) – My previous experience with the Jailhouse Blues was less than pleasing. The short throw really wasn’t for me and I didn’t like the cushy bottom out. In this version there wasn’t a short throw feeling at all. This felt like the Alps edition of the MX world. The actuation distance on this switch still feels the same as the other MX switches around it. And the actuation point is shirted to the top now. VERY NICE.
  • Linear MX switch with Clear Spring (Ghost Black) – So I’m a fan of the stock Clear switches and I’m fine with the weight. With a linear stem in it, at the actuation point, the switch almost felt cushiony. It feels so nice. The weight felt fine and I really liked that cushiony feeling.

Switches That I Like
  • 65g Blacks – It’s just a little lighter than stock Blacks but not too light. I think these are my favorite linear MX switches. I have them in my Epsilon.
  • Stock Blacks – I really like these. The weight is heavy. They are very smooth for MX. And they almost feel cushiony at bottom out. I’m putting them in my 1800. There were vintage and modern Blacks on the tester. I’ve got vintage Blacks from another sale. I think that if you can’t get a hold of vintage blacks, just lube the modern Blacks and I think they’ll feel just as nice. They feel different and a bit nicer but not enough to spend all your time hunting for vintage switches.
  • Stock Blues – I have these on my Filco that I use daily at work. These were the first mechanical switches I’ve ever tried and I still really like them. I like the click, the feedback, and the weight on them.
  • 65g and 67g Blue – These felt pretty similar to me. A slightly clickier Blue but nothing too far from the original stock Blues. For some reason though, I liked how the 65g Blues felt. They were somehow….springier? I’m not sure. But for some reason I’m biased towards 65g Blues. Just one of those things I guess.
  • 65g Browns – If Browns have to be in the MX discussion (I’d rather just go with MX Clears honestly.), I think *this* is what Browns should feel like. As stated above, my complaint with Browns is that I feel like half the time I can’t feel the bump in them and they just feel linear. The bump feels pronounced in this variant which I like.
  • 67g Browns – Easily my favorite form of Browns. I like the bump I these and the rebound is wonderfully springy.
  • 80g Browns –It felt exactly like the Clear switch next to it.
  • Stock Clear – This is hands down my favorite tactile MX switch. No need for mods or lubing. I love it as it. Huge bump, nice weight, and is just so much fun to type on.
  • 65g Clear – Feels like the Stock Clear but a touch lighter. Reminds me a lot like the feeling of the 65g Blacks. It retains everything great about the stock switch but is a touch lighter. Plus it was pleasantly springy. Very nice; a nice alternative to the Stock Clear.
  • Green – I have these switches in my KMAC. They feel like heavier stock Blues. Everything I love about Blues but heavier.
  • Stock Whites – I have these switches on my Pure. They feel like Greens but a bit softer and not as loud. I like them when they work and are actually clicky. The QC on these were pretty iffy so I’m glad I got a bunch of extras so I could get a proper White board.
  • 65g Whites – Feels like a nice light version of the stock White. Maybe too light though.
  • 67g Whites – These remind me of the 65g Blacks. I get same feeling I get when I tried those. It’s everything I love about the stock switch but a little lighter, not too light though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 April 2014, 12:19:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 01:32:40 »
"67g Clear – Felt like a stock Clear"

That one surprises me a little.  Stock and 67g Clears feel like night and day to me.

I wonder what I did differently with my solder locked Jailhouse Blue that made you like it more.  It is a fun, but kind of funky switch.  I wonder if it's because the solder is a little tighter and gives a slightly more solid feel to the switch.

I'm glad you like the Ghost Blacks/Reds though.  It is such a nice switch and by far my favorite permutation of linear switches so far.  I need to have more converts to my Ghost Black following.  I still prefer Ergo Clears for serious typing, but Ghost Blacks are my favorite general use switch.  At least for MX.

Nubbs - did you get my shipping info?  I believe I pmed you but the original post still says you need it.

Yes, I did.  You should have a PM with the shipping info of who you're sending it on to when you get it.  The order is on page 2.  I probably should amend the OP.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 04:02:51 »
You sent me shipping info for Sniping, but he seems to have been bumped up in the queue a bit. If you can, bump me down to sometime after mid-May (or off the list). If someone mails me this thing sometime between mid-April and mid-May, it’s just going to sit in a mailbox.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 13:57:16 »
CPTBA When am I getting this thing? I AM EXCITE! :rage: :rage: :RAGE:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:07:40 »
You sent me shipping info for Sniping, but he seems to have been bumped up in the queue a bit. If you can, bump me down to sometime after mid-May (or off the list). If someone mails me this thing sometime between mid-April and mid-May, it’s just going to sit in a mailbox.

Not sure what went on there since I'm getting errors when checking my older messages.  It could be he and someone traded places.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:12:30 »

Huh? I don't have it anymore. I sent it to Sniping who was next on the list in the OP.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:21:25 »

Huh? I don't have it anymore. I sent it to Sniping who was next on the list in the OP.

Oops.  The order in the OP is the sign up order, the shipping order was the one in this post.  People may have lost the shipping info I sent out with the sign up then.

It's okay people, we can recover, we just need to fix the order.

Here's what it originally was:

Here's the order for the tour (people who already went have been struck through):

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss

Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:27:47 »
Er...sorry about that guys. Totally ****ed up this tour :(

The good news is that Sniping has it. Just need to get a hold of him. Again, really sorry about that Folio, nubbinator, and everyone else on the tour.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:28:24 »

Aww, hardly ****ed up ;) Don't be so hard on yourself!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 15:03:47 »

The good news is that Sniping has it. Just need to get a hold of him. Again, really sorry about that Folio, nubbinator, and everyone else on the tour.

Mistakes are bound to happen.  Like I said, we can fix it, it's no big deal.  We just need to have Sniping ship it to Folio and then jacobolus ship it to semyorka.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 15:04:43 »
Sounds good to me!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:20:20 »
Here's the order for the tour (people who already went have been struck through):

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss

Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone
Yeah.. so bump me to the bottom or off entirely, as I’ll be out of the country until mid-May. Smferris, you’ll want to send it to semyorka or similar.

Offline smferris

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 11:43:41 »
Yeah.. so bump me to the bottom or off entirely, as I’ll be out of the country until mid-May. Smferris, you’ll want to send it to semyorka or similar.

No problem.  I'll just need to get shipping info for semyorka.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 13:02:48 »
Is ok guys. I just gave Sniping my shipping info. Back on track!

Offline semyorka

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:00:02 »

No problem.  I'll just need to get shipping info for semyorka.

PM'd you

Looking for a 1387033...

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 18:06:51 »
Guess what you guys. I got it! Thanks Sniping!

Uh one thing to note though: in the smaller tester, some switches fell out of the plate during shipping, I put them back as best I could according to the cheat sheet. All the whites feel the same to me anyways. And I don't know if any key caps were switched around between members so I can't go by pictures posted prior to this. Sorry about that Nubb and company! I will post a full review soon.

I'll probably take advantage of the full week to test it out.

EDIT: I'll probably keep it for like a couple more days actually. Not a full week anymore. I'm also gonna throw in a red, blue, and black o-ring underneath the first 3 key caps on the main tester because I have extras and I love dem o-rings. I feel like everyone should have them or at least try them out (my favorite is black). Sorry to the guys before me who didn't get a chance to test those  :-*

Also, there was no key cap puller so I'm throwing in an extra plastic one I have lying around.

I mainly wanted in on this tester to see how greens felt compared to blues. To me, they feel almost exactly the same. My blues on my WASD V1 keyboard actually feel lighter than the tester stock blue however. Hmm... I read that greens are supposed to be around 80g actuation, so I expected it to feel more like the 80g blue on the tester, but the 80g blue felt way heavier. I like that though. I like how all the 80g keys are super springy feeling.

So my main gripe on greens was the fact that they might be too heavy according to a few articles I've read on them being compared to IBM Model M's. But, they actually feel good. The 80g blue actually feels great as well! I'm totally gonna buy a new TKL with all greens now. Thanks for sending out this tester Nubb!

I'll be posting a full fledged review soon. Probably by the end of today.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 April 2014, 08:45:22 by Folio »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 21:40:24 »
Please don't have the o-rings installed.  Feel free to include them separately, but keep it without them.  I don't want people to forget and wonder why they feel weird.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 00:04:09 »
Ohai nub  ;D

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 00:39:55 »
Please don't have the o-rings installed.  Feel free to include them separately, but keep it without them.  I don't want people to forget and wonder why they feel weird.

Righto

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 21:47:10 »
REVIEW NOW IN SESSION

Linears

Hate em. I'm so used to tactile keys now that if I don't feel any sort of feedback, I can't assure myself that I've actually pressed the key down to actuation. Just not my kinda pie. I like heavier keys too, but even the 80g Black can't satiate my appetite. It's a nice springy switch, but it still doesn't give me that feely feedback. Nothing much else to say here. Reds are just a lighter black, and blacks are just a heavier red.

Tactile Feedbacks

Never tried browns before this. Tried them now. Hate em. I've heard a lot of things about browns. This constant war between people who love them and people who hate them. I've read more from people who hate them and I can't agree more. It really does feel super scratchy. Like the plunger is too big for the housing. Like some kid trying to fit a cube block shape into the triangle hole on one of those "fit shapes into holes" toys. I don't know man.

Clears are a MUCH better brown. No scratchiness. It really is the perfect tactile key. I love how they feel. It's like butter underneath your fingers. So smooth. Such feel. Much quiet.

The grey switch is weird. I can only feel the tactile feedback when I actuate it really slowly. Otherwise, it feels like a linear.

Clickies

I think blues are a little too light for me now. I feel like I hit them too hard and over estimate myself when speed typing. Greens and the heavier weighted blues on the tester are a delight! Super clicky and super feely. Love em.

The heavier whites are really nice too. I like how they sound, but that could just be because they're not fully soldered into a plate. But they feel really smooth over blues and you still get a nice click (at least on the heavier ones). 80g white is where it's at.

Jailhouse blue is meh. I don't know why everyone on here was so crazy about that one.

Final Thoughts

I really want clears now as well as a heavy white, but I'm just gonna go get a green somewhere. I don't know. Spending too much money lately on keyboards. Damn. I'll be sending this to smferris by this weekend. Thanks again Nubb for putting this out!

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 23:59:36 »

Tactile Feedbacks

Never tried browns before this. Tried them now. Hate em. I've heard a lot of things about browns. This constant war between people who love them and people who hate them. I've read more from people who hate them and I can't agree more. It really does feel super scratchy. Like the plunger is too big for the housing. Like some kid trying to fit a cube block shape into the triangle hole on one of those "fit shapes into holes" toys. I don't know man.

Pretty much confirms what I said about browns  :confused:
What I don't like. The Brown switch. Just the brown switches.
I absolutely detest it. It's squeaky, creaky, lumpy and feels like reds with sand thrown all over it.
Don't get me wrong, I love MX reds but this is truly horrific compared to every MX switch I've used, blacks, greens, reds, blues and even Cherry ML

I don't get why my friend loves browns so much because my fingers are shouting at me for trying to live with browns. That concludes why I don't like browns.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:03:30 »
The only reason I included Browns is because they're common.  If I had my way, Browns would be extinct and go the way of MX Locks.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:13:06 »
The only reason I included Browns is because they're common.  If I had my way, Browns would be extinct and go the way of MX Locks.

I wish you put one of those in there because that would have been cool to try out but it doesn't really matter.  :D

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:14:25 »

I wish you put one of those in there because that would have been cool to try out, but it doesn't matter because I'm really excited to test this! :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:16:42 »

I wish you put one of those in there because that would have been cool to try out but it doesn't really matter.  :D

MX Locks are (almost) impossible to find and tend to be expensive as **** when you do find one.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 00:17:49 »

MX Locks are (almost) impossible to find and tend to be expensive as **** when you do find one.

No worries.