Author Topic: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014  (Read 34373 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:38:59 »
EDIT: Switch Tester Sign Up Form

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seeing as how all the switch testers I've  seen so far have been with springs cannibalized from other switches, I wanted to try something a little different.  Unlike other switch testers, this one is full of your more common Korean springs that you can find at Originative, in group  buys like Sprit's and others that have been done in the past, and sometimes in the Classifieds.  Thanks to people here in the community and from drawing on my own stock, I was able to get a handful of each of the common switches, a few less common ones, and a ton of different springs.

The caps for the switch tester will likely be some random SP caps that I have lying around, but I may make Cherry profile resin caps that correspond with the underlying color. 

The switches present on the main tester are the following:
  • Blacks: A "good" vintage Black, stock Black, and Blacks in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.  I may add a Ghost Black (Clear spring) to the supplemental tester.
  • Red: A single stock Red.  No others were included since Reds and Blacks are the same with different springs and a different color stem.
  • Linear Grey: A stock Grey heavy linear switch
  • Browns: A stock Brown and Browns in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.
  • Clears: A stock Clear and Clears in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.  These are unlubed, though I would recommend anyone actually considering it to lube them.
  • Blues: A stock Blue and Blues in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.
  • Green: A stock Green switch

The supplemental try, made since I didn't have enough room on the Tipro, contains the following:
  • Tactile Grey: A heavy tactile Grey switch with a large Clear style bump
  • Whites: A stock White and Whites in 45g, 55g, 62g, 65g, 67g, and 80g.  Like Whites are prone to do, not all of them really click.
  • Likely a "Ghost Black": A Black with a Clear spring
  • One open spot that can be filled with anything or may remain empty. Likely a "Jailhouse" Blue.

Main Switch Tester

Supplemental Switch Tester

Rules for the tester:

• You are responsible for paying the shipping forward to the next person on the list.  I'll be paying for shipping to the first person on the list.
  • You must do a review of it at some point when it's in your possession. This can be a brief write up on the different switches or a full fledged review.
  • No fiddling with it.  Do not desolder and mess with the switches.  Feel free to look at them, but do not mod the tester.
  • Post when the tester has shipped and provide shipping info to the next person in line.
  • Feel free to add caps, such as POM, thick ABS (Cherry/GMK), PBT, novelty caps, and so on, but pass on all the caps it came with to the next person on the list.  I may include one of my key cap pullers in the box so it's easier to try out different caps on the tester.
  • Ship the tester on to the next person no more than 7 days after you get it.  Sooner is better, but if you need the full 7 days, go for it.
  • You must be an established GH member.  That just means you can't have only signed up for this or have a zero or ridiculously low post count.

Right now it will be US only, but it may go international later, especially if there are some people with APO addresses willing to ship within the country or nearby countries.

I'll add a proper survey to collect shipping info and the like later, but for now, just express your interest and I'll add you to the list.

• 1pq
  • riotonthebay
  • TacticalStache - need shipping info
  • gameaholic - need shipping info
  • mooswa - need shipping info
  • DrinkTea - need shipping info
  • Jalberstone - need shipping info
  • CPTBadAss - need shipping info
  • Sniping

Edit:  Since there was some confusion, the above is the sign up order, the below is the shipping order.

Here's the order for the tour:  Those who have gone already have been struck through.  We need to do a small reorder since a small confusion took place.

Tacticalstache
riotonthebay
Luis911
1pq
CPTBadAss

Folio
smferris
jacobolus
Sniping
semyorka
Gameaholic
mooswa
Jalberstone
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:22:53 by nubbinator »

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
Re: Community Cherry Switch Tester 2014
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:42:53 »
Sweet! Thanks so much for doing this. I'd love to be a part of it :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:45:38 by 1pq »
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:43:59 »
Jailhouse blues?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:45:06 »
Jailhouse blues?

^_^ You should definitely add those if possible, nub

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:46:14 »
Jailhouse blues?

Sounds like a plan.

...now to figure out what's the best way to "lock" the switch down.  The plastic insert method is too touchy, so likely one of the wrapping methods.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:49:33 »
I'm very interested. I'd love a jailhouse blue on the aux tester as well.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:56:39 »
I'm down. I bet I can convince a few people to buy keyboards with the try.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:57:41 »
Our locations are working out very well (I'm in MA).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:09:08 »
Awesome tester nubs!

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:09:33 »
REMOVED ,wups  i forgot to read it carefuly

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:11:28 »
I think it should depend on where people are willing to ship, but it's nubs' tester, so it's up to nubs.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:16:03 »
envy with US members, I hope one day I could get my review on this
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:07:54 »
Count me in!
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline mooswa

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:11:15 »
Fantastic! Please count me in!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:43:42 »
I'd love to get in on this, but unfortunately I'm in Australia... Bloody CONUS all the time!!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:46:53 »
I'd love to get in on this, but unfortunately I'm in Australia... Bloody CONUS all the time!!

If enough Australians want to get in on it, we can always split the shipping to and from  Australia between you and the others once the US rounds are done.  The main issue is just that it's asking a lot for one person to pay for international shipping and there's always the potential that it will get lost in the post.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 01:03:50 »
I am interested!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 01:31:20 »

If enough Australians want to get in on it, we can always split the shipping to and from  Australia between you and the others once the US rounds are done.  The main issue is just that it's asking a lot for one person to pay for international shipping and there's always the potential that it will get lost in the post.

Just guessing but I'd say there'd be a lot of Aussies interested. Don't forget us when the US leg is done!!

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 01:48:21 »
I know I don't have that many posts, but I would love to sign up if I can.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 02:25:00 »
This would be pretty great for keyboard newbies

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:30:15 »
If you're not willing to risk shipping internationally Nubbinator, I have a tester I'd be willing to send abroad.

Also I'd like to sign up if I could. There's a few spring weights in there that would be cool to play with.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:34:27 by CPTBadAss »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 09:06:43 »
Just guessing but I'd say there'd be a lot of Aussies interested. Don't forget us when the US leg is done!!

Get them to chime in in here.  I can always start getting the Aussie leg ready for when the US run is done.

And remember, there's nothing stopping someone in Australia, Europe, or wherever from making one to send around either.  In some cases, making one would be just as expensive as getting one shipped in internationally.

If you're not willing to risk shipping internationally Nubbinator, I have a tester I'd be willing to send abroad.

Also I'd like to sign up if I could. There's a few spring weights in there that would be cool to play with.

I'm fine with shipping it internationally, I just want to keep it in the same country with a decent number of people signed up if I do so.  Keeping it US right now just makes things easier and makes it so no one has to pay a lot to send it abroad.  That and shipping it back and forth between countries a bunch of times increases the risk it will get lost.  If it just goes into that country once, makes the rounds, then comes back, that risk is reduced.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2014, 09:14:16 by nubbinator »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 10:07:02 »
If people are keen on an Aussie switch tester I can start getting one together. I already have brown, clear, blue and vintage blacks so I don't think it would be that hard to source the extra stems and springs to get it rolling. I'll start a thread and see what I can put together.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline smferris

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 10:13:44 »
I just signed up recently so I could get my hands on the keyboard AcidFire is developing over in http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.990, but if you don't mind my tiny post count I'd love to get on the list for the tester so that I can figure out which switches I prefer.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:07:50 »
If people are keen on an Aussie switch tester I can start getting one together. I already have brown, clear, blue and vintage blacks so I don't think it would be that hard to source the extra stems and springs to get it rolling. I'll start a thread and see what I can put together.

That would be awesome, bueller. If I had more switches I would help out, but I only have browns atm. I'm very keen to try reds, clears and especially ergo clears.

Hopefully it's not too off-topic, it is regarding switch testers: where does one get a plate or pcb for a switch tester? Do you make your own or use some kind of a numpad thing? I need to get my own laser cutter/cnc miller or 3d printer!!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:15:47 »
I can make one or two jailhouse blues easily, as I've got a board's worth of them already, but I have no free Blues to use :(  If anyone could spare a blue switch or two, I could mod them and send to Nubs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992.msg966197
I use 45g springs for them to avoid cutting stock springs.  A couple would be good--I'd leave one with stock 60g spring and do one with a 45g spring to compare.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:16:33 »
Hmm, great idea nubbs, I might pass on it though, the only switches I want to try at this point are mx whites and topre  :P

I would be down to send you a 120g spring later on once sprits group buy is over, if you would be interested in adding that for later on.

Offline Vaii

• wat
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 17:29:37 »
Would definitely join if I was able to, sadly I do not live in the US.

Looks prett badass though, great idea!
wtb dark plushberry (mx) bbv2 / starcluster (mx) bbv2

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 20:28:46 »

I can serve as a US proxy to you for parts if people want to donate parts for it.  Like I said though, I have no problem shooting it down to Australia once it's done here.  Just get ~5-10 people on board so that the shipping cost isn't too much.

I just signed up recently so I could get my hands on the keyboard AcidFire is developing over in http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44940.990, but if you don't mind my tiny post count I'd love to get on the list for the tester so that I can figure out which switches I prefer.

If you keep involved in the community and show it means something to you, I'll add you.  I may add you at the end and just have you send a Paypal deposit on it then have it sent off to you. Not that I think you're dishonest, but it's just one way to make sure there's an incentive to send it back.

Hopefully it's not too off-topic, it is regarding switch testers: where does one get a plate or pcb for a switch tester? Do you make your own or use some kind of a numpad thing? I need to get my own laser cutter/cnc miller or 3d printer!!

Mine is built on a Tipro I picked up for fairly cheap.  They've been going for far too much lately though, closer to $25-30 than the ~$15 I think I paid for mine.

I can make one or two jailhouse blues easily, as I've got a board's worth of them already, but I have no free Blues to use :(  If anyone could spare a blue switch or two, I could mod them and send to Nubs.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45992.msg966197
I use 45g springs for them to avoid cutting stock springs.  A couple would be good--I'd leave one with stock 60g spring and do one with a 45g spring to compare.

I've got a few on hand to make my own.  I think it will have to be with a 55g spring though.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way to lock it down.  I have a couple left, so I might try superglue on one, solder on another, and something like your o-rings if I have another left.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 20:17:09 »
I added a proper sign up at the top.  So if you're interested make sure to sign up.  Even if I have your username on the list, I still need you to sign up.

I also added something for you Aussies.  If there's enough interest from you, I'll be doing an Australian tour with it.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 20:23:14 »
Signed up!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 23:22:52 »
There's at least one Aussie signed up now!  :cool:

Offline libz94

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 03:52:48 »
Sadly I just found out about this website :/ Is there any other chance to have a tester like this to get somewhere in Europe? Would be interesting.

Anyway really nice idea.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 10:08:22 »
Is there any other chance to have a tester like this to get somewhere in Europe? Would be interesting.

You could try your luck at Deskthority. They're more European oriented. That being said, I'm considering doing some form of an international tour with mine.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 10:16:54 »
Signed up.
When do you expect to be mailing this out, Nub? Can't wait to try 'em :thumb:
Again, thanks so much for organizing this!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:00:31 »
Signed up.
When do you expect to be mailing this out, Nub? Can't wait to try 'em :thumb:
Again, thanks so much for organizing this!

I've been waiting for a few more people to sign up and those who signed up in here to fill out the sign up form.  Right now I only have 4 people signed up on the list.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 12:10:15 »
Make it 5.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 22:22:53 »
It’s slightly off topic but.. it would be awesome to get a custom plate or two cut which could fit an assortment of Alps, SMK, Futaba, Cherry MX, etc. switches, and custom PCBs, and then try to give some idea about effect of plate mounted vs. PCB mounted vs. plate + direct wiring  on the feeling, as well as different switch types, etc.

As far as I can tell, previous switch-try bags have been of loose switches, which makes it hard to get an idea what they feel like when installed.

Also, on this current switch tester, it might be nice to add one each of stock red/brown/black/blue/clear with lubricant applied, or at least 2-3 of them, so someone can get a basic impression of what difference that makes. And maybe include some o-rings.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:10:49 »
+1 on the lubing idea

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:17:00 »
Don't have enough room on the tester to lube.  And at this point, it would be too much work.  Maybe on a future try if I do a bigger one.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 21:29:38 »
I filled out the form yesterday but forgot to post about it!  :D

Offline Comment

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:13:32 »
Dat first post. Grats and looking forward to the review!
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 21:35:55 »
Dat first post. Grats and looking forward to the review!

Yeah--I can't wait! Expect a nice long review haha :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 21:38:00 »
PMed you with my address.

Edit: Also filled out the form again.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 22:02:59 »
This is something I have to try since I'm get a topre board and I want to have something to compare it too!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:07:57 »
Alright, I'm giving this until the end of the month to let any dawdlers to sign up.  In the first week of February, I'll the be sending it out to the first person on the list and will be sending out PMs to each person who signed up with shipping info for the next person on the list. 

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 20:03:43 »
Sweet! Can't wait for it :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 21:50:43 »
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up.  After that, I will be shipping it Saturday to a random person on the list and will be getting the order all lined up and shipping info passed on to everyone.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 05:43:45 »
Tomorrow is the last day to sign up.  After that, I will be shipping it Saturday to a random person on the list and will be getting the order all lined up and shipping info passed on to everyone.

Random?  :(

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 08:55:35 »
Nothing is truly random.