Author Topic: SHKB: HHKB-controller with USB-C and 3-port 3.0 HUB  (Read 41544 times)

Offline sweeney

Re: SHKB: HHKB-controller with USB-C and 3-port 3.0 HUB
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 13:02:55 »
Looks great!

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 16:30:46 »
Hmmm storage built into a keyboard.. Pretty wild stuff. Definitely watching this one  :cool:
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline Keikenhate

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 04:45:01 »
Hello!!! Im so intrested in this my friend, thats a brilliant idea!!
Count me in for this!!

Offline joric

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 05:10:29 »
Just FYI noy you can get the USB-C riser board for the wireless YDKB controller https://github.com/joric/usb-c/wiki#ydkb

Offline Applet

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 06:44:01 »
A small update:
There are 4 PCB's currently being tested. So far everything is working perfectly (one HHKB JP user). I have one additional unit that I'm holding for a friend that also will be put in rotation and used for testing. For transparency: I sold the prototypes to people who have shown interest in the project for 50 usd + shipping as a symbolical sum and to cover a little bit of the expenses (thanks for support  :D ). I have no gauge yet what they would cost if we go to GB in the future.

I'm looking at replacing the USB-A connectors if I find a suitable alternative (SMD, USB-3 and readily available from a common supplier). The current one from wurth works good, but I find it a bit "flimsy" since the usb cable can be moved a bit side to side. Good but not perfect.

The current iteration of the PCB works as I have intended it to, I have tweaked the USB-A port placement a tiny bit in current files. The downside with the project is that components are pretty expensive and the design is a bit complex. It would be interesting to look into the possibilities of a cheaper version. Maybe with a cheaper controller with possibly built in USB-C mux (eying the Genesys Logic chips) and possibly switching to ganged power limiting (900mA in total, not per port) to reduce components and connectors from LCSC not wurth, but this would need prototyping, funds etc etc.

I will let the testers run the boards for a while to see if there is any issues that come up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2020, 07:04:30 by Applet »

Offline Keikenhate

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 11:02:31 »
I can gladly be a tester of the new batch gladly mate!!!
Keep me in mind :)

Thats some amazing work though, totaly  fresh and totaly worth  to upgrade from a hasu to an SHKB !!
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2020, 11:04:12 by Keikenhate »

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 11:17:11 »
Please let me know if you have space to sell another prototype!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 00:07:32 »
Hi,

I'm making a USB type-C controller with built in USB3 hub (5Gb/s) for the HHKB what is fully compatible with the TMK/QMK-firmware. Project is still in development.

Some specs:
  • 3 available USB3 ports, two external, one internal. Hub: TUSB8042
  • ATMEGA32U4 for keyboard firmware (TMK/QMK)
  • 900mA per port current limit on each downstream port using TPS2552D
  • Will need modification of hhkb case because of the usb-c connector

Current status: Prototyping round 2
5qt PCB's are currently being tested and used. Two HHKB JP, Three regular ANSI.

Teaser from Altium (next revision):
(Attachment Link)

Project on Github: https://github.com/4pplet/SHKB
Designed in Altium 17

I didn't know you had this designed. I opened the files here and it looks amazing!

I'm developing everything on KiCad and will open-source futurely. I think that I am using the same chips though, both TUSB8042 and the port monitors, so I think it shouldn't be much different!
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Applet

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 03:11:33 »
Hi,

I'm making a USB type-C controller with built in USB3 hub (5Gb/s) for the HHKB what is fully compatible with the TMK/QMK-firmware. Project is still in development.

Some specs:
  • 3 available USB3 ports, two external, one internal. Hub: TUSB8042
  • ATMEGA32U4 for keyboard firmware (TMK/QMK)
  • 900mA per port current limit on each downstream port using TPS2552D
  • Will need modification of hhkb case because of the usb-c connector

Current status: Prototyping round 2
5qt PCB's are currently being tested and used. Two HHKB JP, Three regular ANSI.

Teaser from Altium (next revision):
(Attachment Link)

Project on Github: https://github.com/4pplet/SHKB
Designed in Altium 17

I didn't know you had this designed. I opened the files here and it looks amazing!

I'm developing everything on KiCad and will open-source futurely. I think that I am using the same chips though, both TUSB8042 and the port monitors, so I think it shouldn't be much different!
Cool! Let me know if you run into issues or have questions. You should be able to use my EEPROM config if you use the same polarity of the signals etc. You can program the EEPROM over USB when you get the config right, very convenient (but requires windows). The issue with this set up of chips etc is the price.

I highly recommend adding a USB C-mux also, it makes life a lot easier.

I've been looking at adding a nRF52 BLE-chip instead of the Atmega, but there is like I mentioned in the other thread still some issues, so I have that project on hold for now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2020, 03:30:40 by Applet »

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 03:55:36 »
Is this project EOL? With Noxary's Evija second run hopefully landing soon, I'm guessing you would have enough potential customers for a proper run (plus normal HHKB owners of course).

Offline Applet

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 04:20:16 »
Is this project EOL? With Noxary's Evija second run hopefully landing soon, I'm guessing you would have enough potential customers for a proper run (plus normal HHKB owners of course).
Thanks for showing interest in the project :D

Due to lack of time and focus elsewhere, I've not done any progress in this project for a while. Me and a few testers have been using the design since the first working prototypes and it works good (I use it in my daily driver HHKB). I don't have any plans currently of running a GB any time soon. I'd like to optimize the design for cost first, rather than running the current design, because it is quite pricey. I do have plans to optimize the design with different/cheaper components, but I can not say when.

This PCB will unfortunately most likely not fit the Evija without modification, due to the USB-C-port on this PCB. Check the first image in this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93970.msg2837834#msg2837834

Some comments on other stuff previously mentioned as possible future development. While a M.2 SATA SSD would be fun to add, I've mostly discarded this idea since it would be more of a gimmick. I've been wanting to add BLE, but I'm waiting for software support (nRF52 and ZMK would be the preferred way) before pursuing that. The main thing in the future of this project is making it more cost efficient and easier to manufacture/produce.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 November 2020, 05:04:33 by Applet »

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 20:55:39 »

This PCB will unfortunately most likely not fit the Evija without modification, due to the USB-C-port on this PCB. Check the first image in this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93970.msg2837834#msg2837834

I believe Xondat actually modified the Evija to support USB-C controllers

Offline Applet

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 13:34:35 »
I've had trouble getting the hub-IC's I want to evaluate, but I'll try and up the prio on this  ^-^ .

Offline TheNeonKnight

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 13:37:42 »
Saw you made some updates to the github on this board. Love to see some progress being made on it. The empty holes on my hhkb where usb ports used to be make me sad.

Offline Applet

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 22 November 2021, 15:30:59 »
Saw you made some updates to the github on this board. Love to see some progress being made on it. The empty holes on my hhkb where usb ports used to be make me sad.
Hey, first of all, sorry about this taking forever. ;D

I was aiming to do a low volume test run/mini GB later this year, but at the moment I'm even having trouble finding components to test new revisions due to the silicon shortage. I have been updating the PCB a bit for easier manufacturing through places like JLC/PCBWay and improve the component selections (adjusting both for price and other improvements like the flimsy USB-A connecors). I still need to verify the latest revision, but it should be pretty much done at this point (fingers crossed). I have everything ordered for the proto-run of the newest revision, I just need to find some time to get a few boards assembled. I'll update the thread with the results

Hopefully, the component/silicon situation will start getting better soon
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 November 2021, 15:33:43 by Applet »

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 08:22:40 »

I believe Xondat actually modified the Evija to support USB-C controllers

Re: supporting USB-C controllers, he also messed up and sent the wrong file for CNC without the USB hub ports and left it that way, so it won't support this regardless of the main connector. There is talk of an R2 with the originally intended USB hub ports if anyone is really aching for this combo.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 11:48:15 »
Hey @Applet check your DMs!
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Applet

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 13:20:10 »
Re: supporting USB-C controllers, he also messed up and sent the wrong file for CNC without the USB hub ports and left it that way, so it won't support this regardless of the main connector. There is talk of an R2 with the originally intended USB hub ports if anyone is really aching for this combo.
I talked a bit with Xondat regarding using this in the Evija and the latest revision should fit in regards to the USB-C connector (it's one of the reasons I replaced it), but like you say, it does not make much sense now without the cutouts for the hub. :'(

Hey @Applet check your DMs!
:cool:

Offline Applet

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 05:48:17 »
Short update:
I built the five protos I had ordered earlier this week. I had to reuse components from some old protos, since hubs, muxes, atmegas and one of the regulators is still OOS. So far, everything seems to be working good ;D

Unfortunately, I only had a thumbdrive at hand to test USB3, but at lest speed is > USB 2.0 on all boards. I'm test driving the latest revision in my HHKB I use daily at work. I'll update with some more pics and results when I've put it through its paces. I'll reach out to the people who have been supportive and vocal about getting/needing one of these next week, if testing is done and goes well. Thanks for having patience with this project.

Pic:

279471-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 December 2021, 05:34:50 by Applet »

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 14 December 2021, 14:58:55 »
Just stumbled across this thread while trying to find -any- in-stock remappable controller for my Pro 2... this is awesome! Very interested in buying if a GB happens - if it means waiting until the component shortage is over, so be it!

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 03:09:32 »
I would hope it doesn't end up being Thunderbolt. The only devices I have which support it are NUCs. It wouldn't work with any of my desktops or laptops. I can't think of a scenario where I would want a Thunderbolt hub in my keyboard even if I had all Intel gear.

Offline Applet

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 10 April 2022, 05:43:09 »
A somewhat related update:

The USB 3.1 HUB is unfortunately still not really viable for production due to the silicon shortage. Because this project is so hard to produce currently, I decided to do a "Lite version" with just a USB 2.0 HUB that focus on cost and ease of production. I also opted to use a USB-Mini connector, so it'll be a proper drop in replacement controller for the Pro 2 with no need to modify the case.

SHKB Lite - Mini:
284778-0
This is the first prototype, I ran into one bug with the bus power indication, so I had to connect a resistor to 1.8V instead of GND. This has been updated in Revision A2 and the files is up on github in the SHKB repo.

I will try to make these available soon-ish on my https://4pplet.com/ page, but it's available on GitHub (https://github.com/4pplet/SHKB) for DIY. I'll do some long-term testing, but all seems good so far. Thanks for showing interest in the project. :D

Offline josiahClark01

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 19:00:29 »
First, amazing work on this project  :thumb:!!!

I was going to take the DIY for the USB 3.1 Rev B via JLC.  Unfortunately the ship shortage has driven up the price pretty high for some of the components.  For the parts they have in stock the mark up on some of the board components is mind blowing due to the shortage.  The TPD2EUSB30ADRTR alone are 35USD per item (bulk from Arrow is around 0.18 USD, which is still probably 3x what they used to be).  The total cost for two of the Rev B USB 3.1 boards from JLC came out to ~1,200 USD :(.

Needless to say I must patiently wait until the supply chain catches back up if I want an assembled.

For the adventurous folks out there who have piles of old electronics boards laying around you might be able to harvest the components from some old boards and then surface mount them yourself.  Unfortunately, I just packed up my electronics lab for a move so this will need to wait :(.