Author Topic: Numpad help  (Read 1768 times)

Offline icrchi

Numpad help
« on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 11:27:52 »
Does anyone know a relatively cheap mechanical numpad which can be reprogrammed?
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline yui

Re: Numpad help
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 06:05:54 »
if you have access to a 3d printer the cheapest way would be to print one from thingiverse, if not there was a thread of someone modifying a cheap rubber-dome keypad to mechanical a while back, both will need a pro micro / teensy to work though, there are also some on Chinese sites like kprebublic or kdbfans (other exists just the 2 of the top of my mind) depend on the level of diy you are willing to get yourself into.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline icrchi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 00:43:03 »
Thanks mate!
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 01:46:20 »
I build a couple of these from bare PCB's :

https://github.com/mattdibi/yampad

There is at least one 3d printable case for it on Thingverse. Let me know if you want STL files for mine.

Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline icrchi

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 02:36:30 »
Sounds cool! I have no 3d printing experience, but my school has some 3d printers and people who know stuff. Where can I buy it?
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 04:41:40 »
I build a couple of these from bare PCB's :

https://github.com/mattdibi/yampad

There is at least one 3d printable case for it on Thingverse. Let me know if you want STL files for mine.

Looking at that i am now temped to get myself a few pcb made (min from JLC is 5), although i am not sure how much shipping from France to Romania would cost could look it up if you are interested but given that the 5 pcb are 12USD shipped it will likely cost more to send you the 3 extras than for you to buy them directly

Offline icrchi

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 05:11:00 »
Why can't I buy just one?
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 04:34:59 »
from pcb manufacturer? because it would not be actually cheaper, the main cost there is the time spent by workers not the materials so 1 or 5 is not going to make a large enough difference in the price, as it will mean the same setup time, and often people will end up ordering too many just in cases there is failures on some of them. some other manufacturers may allow you to order only one but i do not expect price to be cheaper or you can buy pcb material and print it yourself, that way you have only one and you can learn a new skill while at it, but it is not likely going to be cheaper.

Offline diazel

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 07:24:40 »
Why can't I buy just one?
I think that has to do with you asking for relatively cheap. You can get a programmable numpad. Or you can get a cheap numpad. Typically those cheap numpads won't be programmable though.

Are you going to use it as a numpad or are you thinking more as a macropad since you're looking for reprogramming capability?

Offline icrchi

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 12:37:46 »
Both numpad and macro pad.
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 04:26:40 »
So i ordered pcbs in white and black, as well as most component to assemble them, should be here next month, if you want one populated PCB i think i could send one your way for the price of shipping (about 12 euros without tracking or 15 with tracking from what i understand, still will need to weight the package to be sure) the only reason i see not being able to do so is if all the boards are defective on arrival, or if i overestimated my soldering abilities. you would need to add switches, keycaps, micro USB cable and (optionally) the oled display. or you can order pcbs too and sell/give the others away.
And either way i planed to give the extras away to friends so if you take it it will not make me lose money.