Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458618 times)

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1250 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 22:45:11 »
Just make sure you clean every part of the switch really.  The slider and inner housing is the most important part.

Ahh ok thanks
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1251 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:11:50 »
Ha yeah that's one of the ones I just posted a few replies ago.  :p I don't know what kind of switches they are but it's clicky which is surprising. I think they might be SKBM Cream which is currently undocumented in the DT wiki. I'm pretty sure they are Alps though. It's an older Alps SKCL Lock switch, as the newer ones used a gray slider. So I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Don't want to open it up either since it is in such good condition. I thought about keeping it for myself but I went ahead and listed it to see what I'd get.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1252 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:23:53 »
Ha yeah that's one of the ones I just posted a few replies ago.  :p I don't know what kind of switches they are but it's clicky which is surprising. I think they might be SKBM Cream which is currently undocumented in the DT wiki. I'm pretty sure they are Alps though. It's an older Alps SKCL Lock switch, as the newer ones used a gray slider. So I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Don't want to open it up either since it is in such good condition. I thought about keeping it for myself but I went ahead and listed it to see what I'd get.

Yea, from the pic they look to be SKCM, not anything that makes it obviously look like a clone.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:36:56 by Mattr567 »
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1253 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 15:58:42 »
So I got this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291708902244 Focus FK 3001 w/ a solar panel! Made in Taiwan with genuine SKCM Whites!
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 23:36:35 by Mattr567 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1254 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 00:04:10 »

Yea, from the pic they look to be SKCM, not anything that makes it obviously look like a clone.

Neat, Focus keyboards always have an interesting quirk.

I'd do some retr0bright on that thing,

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1255 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:18:45 »
Canon AP500-II typewriter, 1985.

I was expecting SKCM "ivory" switches (earliest tactile SKCM switches, about the same stiffness as salmon switches), as that’s what the ~1986–1987 versions of these typewriters had, but this version turns out to have plate-mounted Alps plate spring switches throughout the main section, with double-acting plate spring switches on the spacebar, return, and back space keys, and a mix of SKCL green and double-acting SKCL switches on the lock key and on the side function keys.

That explains why the later typewriters used a mix of SKCM and double-acting plate spring switches. I assume the switch from plate spring to SKCM was for cost cutting, but maybe someone at Canon or Alps just preferred them.

Keycaps are spherical, mostly doubleshot, with pad printed legends on all the window keys (except the lock key). They were originally white on gray, but now are yellow on brown.

Anyhow, pictures:

Bonus keycap profile pic (for more of these, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550):

Unfortunately during shipping, a bunch of the internal typewriter mechanism parts broke. I’m hoping to someday make some custom Alps plate spring keyboards though, so maybe the keyboard bits at least can eventually find a good home.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:43:43 by jacobolus »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1256 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:26:51 »
Canon AP500-II typewriter, 1985.

I was expecting SKCM "ivory" switches (earliest tactile SKCM switches, about the same stiffness as salmon switches), as that’s what the ~1986–1987 versions of these typewriters had, but this version turns out to have plate-mounted Alps plate spring switches throughout the main section, with double-acting plate spring switches on the spacebar, return, and back space keys, and a mix of SKCL green and double-acting SKCL switches on the lock key and on the side function keys.

That explains why the later typewriters used a mix of SKCM and double-acting plate spring switches. I assume the switch from plate spring to SKCM was for cost cutting, but maybe someone at Canon or Alps just preferred them.

Keycaps are spherical, mostly doubleshot, with pad printed legends on all the window keys (except the lock key). They were originally white on gray, but now are yellow on brown.

Anyhow, pictures:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Bonus keycap profile pic (for more of these, see https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550):
Show Image

Unfortunately during shipping, a bunch of the internal typewriter mechanism parts broke. I’m hoping to someday make some custom Alps plate spring keyboards though, so maybe the keyboard bits at least can eventually find a good home.

Where did you get that! :eek: I have been searching for those forever on craigslist, but I haven't found one yet, the closet I got was with Green SKCC switches.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1257 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:27:49 »
Nice, very nice, thanks for the info :) . Quite an exotic mix of switches on that board, then! I'm still looking for my first plate spring board.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1258 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:35:56 »

Quite an exotic mix of switches on that board

Indeed!

You can only wonder: "Why?"

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1259 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:36:13 »
Eventually I wanna get a Sega Teradrive board. Nice keys and Alps plate spring.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1260 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 17:55:11 »
This typewriter has a ~170 page manual. It can store several typed pages in memory so you can quickly type out form letters, stores the whole current page so you can go back and correct mistakes, it supports find/replace. You can type e.g. superscripts and subscripts and a variety of exotic characters.  Supports spell-check with a 90,000 word dictionary. There are sophisticated table layout tools. The typewriter can be connected to a floppy disk drive or to a computer. And so on.

Here’s an ad: https://books.google.com/books?id=0gv4b-LFdWQC&pg=PA55

They needed all the double-click and LED keys to support various advanced functionality. Keep in mind, in the early 1980s, there was a competitive market for typewriters at many price points, trained professional office workers used them full-time for work, and these top-end business machines were competing on features, and cost thousands of dollars.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:00:52 by jacobolus »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1261 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:16:47 »
Eventually I wanna get a Sega Teradrive board. Nice keys and Alps plate spring.
Thought that was Alps buckling spring? Oo

Very nice-looking keyboard though, I definitely want one too eventually :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1262 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 18:20:39 »
This typewriter has a ~170 page manual. It can store several typed pages in memory so you can quickly type out form letters, stores the whole current page so you can go back and correct mistakes, it supports find/replace. You can type e.g. superscripts and subscripts and a variety of exotic characters.  Supports spell-check with a 90,000 word dictionary. There are sophisticated table layout tools. The typewriter can be connected to a floppy disk drive or to a computer. And so on.

Here’s an ad: https://books.google.com/books?id=0gv4b-LFdWQC&pg=PA55

They needed all the double-click and LED keys to support various advanced functionality. Keep in mind, in the early 1980s, there was a competitive market for typewriters at many price points, trained professional office workers used them full-time for work, and these top-end business machines were competing on features, and cost thousands of dollars.

And while PCs weren't exactly ubiquitous yet, the handwriting was already on the wall. The typewriter manufacturers had to significantly up their game until new business models could be implemented.

That is a VERY impressive feature set, indeed!

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1263 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:38:45 »
Does anyone have like a couple of diff alps switches I could try out?

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1264 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:41:28 »
What kind do you want to try out?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1265 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:41:52 »

Looking for Matias? PM me.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1266 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:44:43 »
I built a sample plate with a few different Alps switches. It's got White, Blue, Cream, Click modded Cream, Orange, and Click-modded Orange.

CPTBadAss has it right now. Get in touch with him and tell him I told him to send it your way when he's done with it.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1267 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:49:53 »

Not sure really, but I've been wanting to for awhile now.

done!

I built a sample plate with a few different Alps switches. It's got White, Blue, Cream, Click modded Cream, Orange, and Click-modded Orange.

CPTBadAss has it right now. Get in touch with him and tell him I told him to send it your way when he's done with it.

Sounds like a good idea. Alp Sampler OuO

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1268 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 18:52:39 »
u want to buy my alps bord? its on classified

i gib good price  :p

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1269 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:11:01 »
dot dot dot
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:42:15 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1270 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:11:05 »

Not sure really, but I've been wanting to for awhile now.

done!

Sounds like a good idea. Alp Sampler OuO
Does your HHKB know?

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1271 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:12:31 »
>_>

don't tell my hhkb babies, they are my preciouses

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1272 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:14:08 »
dot dot dot
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:41:59 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1273 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:24:10 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1274 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:39:11 »
Some of the best Alps keycaps have to be on C.Itoh LK201-layout terminal boards with Alps spring over membrane switches. The switches use two springs so you get a bit of a kink in the force curve after actuation. This, combined with a built-in beeper, makes it hard to bottom out, but frankly they’re pretty uninspiring. (At least for me; maybe someone would like them.)

The keycaps are amazing though. Thick PBT with nice dyesub legends. Similarish overall shape to Canon typewriter caps, but not quite as tilted on the number row, and overall not quite as deep a scoop on the typical key. Spherical shape, but with a rectangular top (unlike most other spherical caps like e.g. DSA which have squarish tops). Scoops on F, J, and 5. Interesting narrow keycap shape on the F keys (these would just barely work with an Alps SKCM switch), I guess as a copy of the original LK201. The right and left arrow keycaps are totally stupid, but whatever.

Unfortunately the one I got has a broken stem on the "R" keycap (also a missing "back space" cap). The dyesub printing is nice, but I might have to just dye the lot solid black, and use them with a custom logical letter layout.

HaaTa has a bunch of nice pictures on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/triplehaata/sets/72157663966300963/

« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:46:08 by jacobolus »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1275 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:56:13 »
Some of the best Alps keycaps have to be on C.Itoh LK201-layout terminal boards [...]

Nice, you just snagged the one off of eBay, eh? Looks good.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1276 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 19:59:29 »
Some of the best Alps keycaps have to be on C.Itoh LK201-layout terminal boards [...]

I want to try plate spring so bad

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1277 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:02:55 »
I have a Microterm 5510 terminal keyboard with the same LK201 layout. Nice dyesubs, Green Alps, pretty okayish layout. Best part was the new old stock condition! Don't know whether to sell or try to convert with Soarer (don't know what protocol it uses though).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1278 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:13:37 »

Sorry I held on to it for so long. I was going to write a quick review and then I can pass it on to beehatch. I didn't mean to not give you any updates about it!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1279 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:14:14 »
Yes, I just bought the recent one. But the pics here are from HaaTa’s. (Which, I should note, I pointed out to him on eBay like a year ago or something. To be specific, I made the mistake of asking him if he knew what type of switch it had, and he immediately bought it. :P)

I want to try plate spring so bad
This isn’t plate spring.

I have a Microterm 5510 terminal keyboard with the same LK201 layout. Nice dyesubs, Green Alps, pretty okayish layout. Best part was the new old stock condition! Don't know whether to sell or try to convert with Soarer (don't know what protocol it uses though).
Also a fun looking keyboard. Very different keycaps though (I think standard cylindrical Alps profile). There are also green/yellow Alps Texas Instruments and Tektronix keyboards with somewhat similar layouts, again with regular cylindrical caps.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1280 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 20:21:25 »

Sorry I held on to it for so long. I was going to write a quick review and then I can pass it on to beehatch. I didn't mean to not give you any updates about it!
No worries. Never thought twice about it until I saw someone else who could use it.

My boards:
More

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1281 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 19:35:43 »
Clean up this puppy this weekend: Focus FK-3001, SKCM White

khronokrator and Chryos and I have been chatting about this board among other things like khronokrator's FK-9000 in my Great Finds thread for it. Ended up getting the keyboard I posted :D

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1282 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 20:19:21 »

khronokrator and Chryos and I have been chatting about this board among other things like khronokrator's FK-9000 in my Great Finds thread for it. Ended up getting the keyboard I posted :D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's a cool board, with a built in calculator.

I think old Alps boards generally have a lot more personality than old Cherry boards, and I think it's where a lot of the innovation happened. The only old Cherry boards with similar personality are the 1800 variants (Dolch, SkiData).

My boards:
More

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1283 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 20:29:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's a cool board, with a built in calculator.

I think old Alps boards generally have a lot more personality than old Cherry boards, and I think it's where a lot of the innovation happened. The only old Cherry boards with similar personality are the 1800 variants (Dolch, SkiData).

Agreed. The solar panel on the 3001 really makes it unique. Cherry never really tried to innovate or experiment.

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #1284 on: Sun, 03 April 2016, 20:50:40 »
Alps + PBT =  :D

Really happy with these caps, for $10 cant go wrong. They make using the KBP V60 so much better. Going to mod the plate so i can use ISO left shift and HHKB right shift since the PCB has support for them both.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1285 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 02:09:28 »
Where are those caps from itzmeluigi?

Also does the calculator work on that board Mattr?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1286 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:24:07 »
Alps + PBT =  :D

Really happy with these caps, for $10 cant go wrong. They make using the KBP V60 so much better. Going to mod the plate so i can use ISO left shift and HHKB right shift since the PCB has support for them both.

Show Image

Is that the Alps Party board?  That is an interesting one.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #1287 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:26:49 »
Now we have proof that the hype is not real

« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:39:26 by Delirious »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1288 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:39:34 »
I would say that $120 shipped has been about "the going rate" for the past year or so for switch donors like shabby LE2014s.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1289 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:41:22 »
I hope I can get a little more out of mine  :p

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1290 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:42:28 »
Where are those caps from itzmeluigi?

Also does the calculator work on that board Mattr?

Yep. The screen doesn't fully display digits, but that can be diy fixed. The point is that it functions, funnily enough so does the solar panel!

Now we have proof that the hype is not real

Show Image

Finally, things are starting to get back to normal.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #1291 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:49:39 »
I didn't mean to chase after it but after seeing it was hovering around $77 with 10 minutes on the clock I decided to put down $130 to "help out" the seller. At last, I can finally decide what to put into my Monarch - orange, blue, or green. Whatever not making it will go into future KBP with Tex aluminum case  ^-^

Now we can finally see the real value of these switches. For something that is roughly 3 decades old the price has been ridiculous.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:52:22 by Delirious »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1292 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:56:28 »
I didn't mean to chase after it but after seeing it was hovering around $77 with 10 minutes on the clock I decided to put down $130 to "help out" the seller. At last, I can finally decide what to put into my Monarch - orange, blue, or green. Whatever not making it will go into future KBP with Tex aluminum case  ^-^

Now we can finally see the real value of these switches. For something that is roughly 3 decades old the price has been ridiculous.
Just wait until you feel them...

My boards:
More

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1293 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 20:57:51 »
I'm with njblair they feel much better than cherry blue IMO

Not to mention the fact they are made a long time ago means they are far more rare than anything today.

The stuff made a long time ago was built to last  :cool:

Offline E3E

« Reply #1294 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:00:27 »
Speaking of blue Alps, I just made a lazy typing video for my Orion v2 and my Lightpad:

Whoops, it was accidentally set to private. Should be good now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:04:42 by E3E »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1295 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:07:18 »
Delirious: I hope the switches are in good condition.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1296 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:12:02 »

Tell that to the people who pay loads for Cherry stuff. :P

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1297 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 21:58:57 »

I mean, everyone can appreciate a nice set of OG Cherry doubleshots. I would love to have Cherry profile for Alps - its my favorite. I know it exist on a certain fame board, but otherwise no.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1298 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:21:09 »

I mean, everyone can appreciate a nice set of OG Cherry doubleshots. I would love to have Cherry profile for Alps - its my favorite. I know it exist on a certain fame board, but otherwise no.

I actually prefer the Alps Electric profile, but I'm biased.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1299 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:24:12 »

I actually prefer the Alps Electric profile, but I'm biased.

Next best. Isn't that just 'OEM profile?'