Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458843 times)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1850 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:01:42 »
So I managed to net myself a 5140 for a pretty great price, practically new too; SKCM Browns are really interesting, these certainly have a thockiness to them. :))

I'll definitely be harvesting these for a 60%, I really want to go with a layout that is like the one on the 5140 so I can use all of its original key caps.

Show Image

Also wondering, would it be safe to say that the SKCL Compacts are basically identical to SKCL Greens (aside from the weird mount)?
I think that you can use a infinity plate from Bluenalgene's GB, it might just be impossible to stabilize the big ass enter. Youll have to use a 6u spacebar also. Maybe you can utilize the original plate and try to retrofit a alps64 pcb, or hand wire it with a teensy.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1851 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:45:54 »
That doesn't make any sense though! The SKCM Salmon and SKCM White switches both have short switch plates. That said, the top housings do not have any bearing on the bottom and you should be able to use any SKCM top housing on almost every SKCM switch aside from Brown. SKCL switches too!

Are you sure you didn't just put the top on backwards? It's a really easy mistake to do until you get used to how the housings are oriented. That'd stop the top from going on.

I think the problem youre having has to do with your click leaf placement. There is 2 little ridges on hte inside of the top of the housing on 1 side, make sure that is the side you put the click leaf in, and put the switch plate in the other side. That will prevent the switch from closing properly if you dont.

I knew that salmons and whites should have the same top housings it just seems like salmons have more "headroom;" I am willing to admit I could be an idiot about this, though. I usually put the click leaf in the side with the ALPS logo on it, is that a poor way to orient them? That is probably my problem if the logo doesn't always correspond to the side with the two little ridges.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1852 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:51:24 »
I knew that salmons and whites should have the same top housings it just seems like salmons have more "headroom;" I am willing to admit I could be an idiot about this, though. I usually put the click leaf in the side with the ALPS logo on it, is that a poor way to orient them? That is probably my problem if the logo doesn't always correspond to the side with the two little ridges.

A really good way to know if you've got the leaf on the right side is to pay attention the asymmetry of the top housing on the inside walls. Notice how one side is flat and the other has a bit of a raised grid? The grid half is for the contact/switch plate, and the flat part is for the click or tactile leaf. 

SKCM Brown and SKCM Ivory have symmetrical housings and so that trick doesn't work, but it also doesn't matter either, since they are symmetrical.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1853 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:51:45 »
On my two Sharp X68000s, the compact SKCL Greens feel like the regular to me.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline emdude

« Reply #1854 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 12:12:22 »
So I managed to net myself a 5140 for a pretty great price, practically new too; SKCM Browns are really interesting, these certainly have a thockiness to them. :))

I'll definitely be harvesting these for a 60%, I really want to go with a layout that is like the one on the 5140 so I can use all of its original key caps.

Show Image

Also wondering, would it be safe to say that the SKCL Compacts are basically identical to SKCL Greens (aside from the weird mount)?
I think that you can use a infinity plate from Bluenalgene's GB, it might just be impossible to stabilize the big ass enter. Youll have to use a 6u spacebar also. Maybe you can utilize the original plate and try to retrofit a alps64 pcb, or hand wire it with a teensy.

The plate is so unusual that I think I'll just try to design one myself.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1855 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 15:11:43 »

Show Image

Can you take a pic of the plate? I would love to see it.

The plate is so unusual that I think I'll just try to design one myself.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1856 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 15:32:40 »
Are you referring to the plate I'd like to design?  Sorry if I was being confusing, I was referring to that one.  I meant to say that since it's such a mish-mash of Big-Ass Enter layouts that I doubt someone like JDCarpe would have a design that matches it exactly..

It's a shame that his designs aren't open source, I think I'll have to start with a design generated with Swill's plate creator and then go from there.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1857 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 15:44:01 »
Are you referring to the plate I'd like to design?  Sorry if I was being confusing, I was referring to that one.  I meant to say that since it's such a mish-mash of Big-Ass Enter layouts that I doubt someone like JDCarpe would have a design that matches it exactly..

It's a shame that his designs aren't open source, I think I'll have to start with a design generated with Swill's plate creator and then go from there.
Yeah, I would like to see it, sounds interesting. Can you provide a pic of the original 5140 plate too?

Offline emdude

« Reply #1858 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 16:17:13 »
I can't take a photo of the 5140 plate, haven't done any desoldering or anything yet.  Perhaps you can ask alienman about that.

Here's a quick mock-up of the 60% plate, partly done in MSPaint, really wish Swill's plate creator supported Alps better. :confused:

The placement of the 5140's Big-Ass Enter is also different from the one generated by Swill's creator and I did not include the case holes since they overlap with the stabilizers.

EDIT: Edited the mock-up.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2016, 16:31:09 by emdude »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1859 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 17:36:33 »
Ahh, we all need to pick up CAD to make out own custom plate files for reasons like this. Swill's plate creator is really off with Alps a lot of the time.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1860 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:30:04 »
Properly fixed my SGI's PCB today. Took a few hours but I figured out the issue. Between the K and L keys the trace that goes along linking them together (along w/ asdfj) had invisibly broken. This meant that upon random ASDF and JK keys would stop working together, either they all worked or none at all. G and H is on a separate trace so they were never effected. 

A wire between K and L and the trace was back up and running! This has been a reoccurring issue for month's :confused:
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1861 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:32:08 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:03:35 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1862 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:36:43 »
Properly fixed my SGI's PCB today. Took a few hours but I figured out the issue. Between the K and L keys the trace that goes along linking them together (along w/ asdfj) had invisibly broken. This meant that upon random ASDF and JK keys would stop working together, either they all worked or none at all. G and H is on a separate trace so they were never effected. 

A wire between K and L and the trace was back up and running! This has been a reoccurring issue for month's :confused:

hate when that happens

Lol yea. The trace looked perfectly fine. For a good bit I tried cleaning the PCB, connectors, and reflowing solder points etc but nothing worked.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1863 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:43:33 »
A really good way to know if you've got the leaf on the right side is to pay attention the asymmetry of the top housing on the inside walls. Notice how one side is flat and the other has a bit of a raised grid? The grid half is for the contact/switch plate, and the flat part is for the click or tactile leaf. 

SKCM Brown and SKCM Ivory have symmetrical housings and so that trick doesn't work, but it also doesn't matter either, since they are symmetrical.

Duly noted, haha, thanks for the information! I got home and looked at my switches again and I was just being silly. Turned the top housing the other way around and it started fitting together.

Ahh, we all need to pick up CAD to make out own custom plate files for reasons like this. Swill's plate creator is really off with Alps a lot of the time.

That's what I am currently working on doing, I started working on an AEKII 60% CAD sketch based on Swill's output and adjusting the stabilizers accordingly. I'll test it at some point and if it works I'll probably open source it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:50:10 by Wingpad »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1864 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:45:17 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:03:33 by alienman82 »

Offline emdude

« Reply #1865 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:57:24 »
I know that JDCarpe has his own designs and you have to license them from him in order to use them for a GB or whatnot.  Would there be any legal issues from basically recreating them and then open sourcing the files?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1866 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 19:16:34 »
I know that JDCarpe has his own designs and you have to license them from him in order to use them for a GB or whatnot.  Would there be any legal issues from basically recreating them and then open sourcing the files?

I have no idea how that'd work legally, but I'd find it a little unfair if no one else at all can create their own designs to use for a 60% Alps plate. There's not any real room for variation when it comes to a plate in certain layouts.

I'd personally say that if you made the plate design yourself, it should be fine, but that might not be the case legally. It's just that the plates are essentially what a full-sized plate would look like if it were cut down to 60% size, not so much different as it is just truncated. Not to disrespect JD's or anyone else's work though. His universal plates are fantastic. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2016, 19:18:42 by E3E »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1867 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 19:44:01 »

I am hoping there aren't,  I think it would be covered by the same laws that protect reverse engineering. As long as you can prove you made them from scratch you should be ok. I hope it will be OK if I actually manage make a working design.

@E3E You mentioned the top housing shouldn't make any difference but can it affect the sound of a switch? The salmon top housings, being made of a different material, produce a louder click than the white housings do. I am not sure why... That being said, I think I'll just stick with white switch tops, I like the more subdued sound.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1868 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 20:40:14 »
Whats a good TaoBao agent that wont rip me off? Found something very cool....

Offline E3E

« Reply #1869 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 20:49:13 »
Whats a good TaoBao agent that wont rip me off? Found something very cool....

Taobaoring will work with you to ensure the item is in stock. I use them a lot and they are quite helpful. TaoBaoFocus works quick and has live support, but they allow you to purchase items that might be out of stock and you'll have to wait to be refunded if that's the case.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1870 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 23:27:52 »
I second Taobaoring, I've used them several times.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1871 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 15:25:39 »
What have you people done to me? I'm starting to like these more than my Model M. Please help me.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1872 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 15:28:13 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:03:27 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1873 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 15:28:31 »
What have you people done to me? I'm starting to like these more than my Model M. Please help me.
Ive already gone past my 1390131, which is the debatably best model m. I still love it though. alps is one hell of a drug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1874 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 17:19:42 »
Ive already gone past my 1390131, which is the debatably best model m. I still love it though. alps is one hell of a drug.

They're gorgeous. I hope I run into the UK version of the '0131 someday ^^ . Preferably dated to my birthday!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1875 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 19:34:46 »
Completely unexpected, I stumbled onto a Wang 724 today, my first. The keyboard is a wreck and I will not even attempt to restore it, but I am very excited about the caps in particular. Too bad that the top row function keys are double-printed - I would love to have a plain clean set. A few of the caps are cracked, broken, or have chunks missing out of them (it was (fortunately) upside-down in a beat-up gaylord outside) but luckily only "weird" ones around the perimeter were broken and not the important "core" ones.

These cream switches are not bad. I need to figure out where they fit in the spectrum and what would be the best use for them. I have a goodly number of various Alps switches now and I plan to mess around with swapping parts as soon as I feel comfortable that the appropriate lube has been discovered.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1876 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 19:58:44 »
Completely unexpected, I stumbled onto a Wang 724 today, my first. The keyboard is a wreck and I will not even attempt to restore it, but I am very excited about the caps in particular. Too bad that the top row function keys are double-printed - I would love to have a plain clean set. A few of the caps are cracked, broken, or have chunks missing out of them (it was (fortunately) upside-down in a beat-up gaylord outside) but luckily only "weird" ones around the perimeter were broken and not the important "core" ones.

These cream switches are not bad. I need to figure out where they fit in the spectrum and what would be the best use for them. I have a goodly number of various Alps switches now and I plan to mess around with swapping parts as soon as I feel comfortable that the appropriate lube has been discovered.

What creams? Dampened?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1877 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 19:59:21 »

Can we see some pics?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1878 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 20:03:39 »
Welp, i've discovered a goldmine, and I mean a goldmine. Thanks Taobao! :thumb:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1879 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 20:04:47 »
You have to let us in on this

Offline Magna224

« Reply #1880 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 22:47:49 »

I like the wang! I have one with black ALPS. Mine needs a cord. I've always been too lazy to make a cord. Its a nice hefty keyboard with ansi enter.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1881 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 02:59:20 »

Nice! I always like it when I bump into a large Wang. How was your first experience?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1882 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 14:46:40 »

Hah. I will after my order gets to the proxy, don't want any interference. I'll give you a teaser though. $7 SKCM Blue boards

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1883 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 14:54:04 »

Hah. I will after my order gets to the proxy, don't want any interference. I'll give you a teaser though. $7 SKCM Blue boards
Well ****. remember me when they get in :))

Offline emdude

« Reply #1884 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 15:19:18 »
Wow, that's some real Taobao-fu you have there, I find it really difficult to navigate their site not knowing what keywords work best other than the translations of "keyboard" and "[some color]-axis switch" or whatever.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1885 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 16:07:53 »
Hm, I think I may have found the listing you were talking about, not sure though.  It'll be interesting to see if it actually is the right listing because I put an order in too. :p

I'm guessing there's a bunch of them, they're all really dirty and missing caps to various degrees.  If they're not all ~7 dollars, then I probably have the wrong one.  Honestly, I'm not expecting my order to go anywhere, but it'll be a pleasant surprise if it does.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 16:14:18 by emdude »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1886 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 17:35:10 »
Annd the FK-727 w/ Cyan Omrons has been sold to Chryos! Looking forward to the review :cool:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1887 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 19:11:01 »
Just bought a v60 for 72$, like I need another 60% board. Im not sure if I will keep the quiet clicks in there or put something else in.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 19:14:49 by mike52787 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1888 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:54:59 »
I am now the proud owner of this!!! Minus the case. Also a pcb/plate full of SKCM Blue! Its actually from that strange Model M clone.

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:56:49 by Mattr567 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1889 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 22:56:28 »
I am now the proud owner of this!!! Minus the case. Also a pcb/plate full of SKCM Blue! Its actually from that strange Model M clone.
Show Image

Show Image

was this the taobao jackpot?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1890 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:03:12 »
Show Image

Show Image

Super jealous of both of those finds, haha. What're your plans for them?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1891 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:11:30 »
Yep! :D This one seller has a bunch of Cherry and Alps stuff. Various Alps clones, Cherry MX Yellow (legit), and what I bought. The SKCL Green listing had 2 IBM Multistations and a X6800 PCB. By the time I got to it one of the Multistations had already been sold, luckily the later variant with the lower profile caps. He has another listing with SKCM Blue, about 4 boards. All between $7-20. I bought the cheap one since I don't really care for how many caps aren't missing etc.

Plan is to build some sort of SKCM Blue board w/ those amazing high profile caps, at least thats what i'm thinking.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1892 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:19:50 »
Whoa, that's pretty nice, those sphericals look really fun! ;D

I think I found another nice Alps board so I'll probably be passing on the SKCM Blues entirely.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1893 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 23:32:11 »
Yep! :D This one seller has a bunch of Cherry and Alps stuff. Various Alps clones, Cherry MX Yellow (legit), and what I bought. The SKCL Green listing had 2 IBM Multistations and a X6800 PCB. By the time I got to it one of the Multistations had already been sold, luckily the later variant with the lower profile caps. He has another listing with SKCM Blue, about 4 boards. All between $7-20. I bought the cheap one since I don't really care for how many caps aren't missing etc.

Plan is to build some sort of SKCM Blue board w/ those amazing high profile caps, at least thats what i'm thinking.

Show Image

Cherry MX Yellow? Wow, I hadn't heard of those before. Are those linear, tactile or clicky switches?

And yeah, those sphericals look fun! I have one of the older IBM boards with the Tall Green switches and it's fun to play around with every once in a while.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1894 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:07:10 »

Show Image

Cherry MX Yellow? Wow, I hadn't heard of those before. Are those linear, tactile or clicky switches?

And yeah, those sphericals look fun! I have one of the older IBM boards with the Tall Green switches and it's fun to play around with every once in a while.

They do exist, rare though. The guy is selling them out of a old PCB. https://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Yellow

Those sphericals are going to make for a really cool board, combined w/ SKCM Blue too!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1895 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:16:20 »
Wow, awesome keycaps. Alps’s sculpted spherical doubleshots from the mid-80s are great. I wish properly designed sculpted spherical keycaps were still being made. All the MX-mount spherical caps being produced today have a broken design. :/

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1896 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:26:23 »
Just bought 3 blue alps boards, a board full of dolch alps keycaps and an assortment of alps switches off of taobao. Life can be good. lets hope taobaofocus comes through for me.

I left you guys the last blue alps board, Dont worry, all these switches have homes waiting for them, I wont be reselling them, and if I do it sure wont be for ebay prices on blue alps :P  Im not that much of an ass :))

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1897 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:51:10 »
Just bought 3 blue alps boards, a board full of dolch alps keycaps and an assortment of alps switches off of taobao. Life can be good. lets hope taobaofocus comes through for me.
Show Image

I left you guys the last blue alps board, Dont worry, all these switches have homes waiting for them, I wont be reselling them, and if I do it sure wont be for ebay prices on blue alps :P  Im not that much of an ass :))

Ok, I see you left the most expensive one. Was about to PM you and Wingpad the link since you guys asked. Get ready to pay a decent amt. for shipping, the weight can really add up.

Lol I knew as soon as the link got out they would be snatched up real quick :P

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1898 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:53:13 »
Show Image

Ok, I see you left the most expensive one. Was about to PM you and Wingpad the link since you guys asked. Get ready to pay a decent amt. for shipping, the weight can really add up.

Lol I knew as soon as the link got out they would be snatched up real quick :P
haha 20$ us still isnt expensive fore blue alps, I just dont need a full set of caps :)) I think im going to throw some blue alps and the dolch caps on my v60 I just bought.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1899 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 00:59:29 »
So looking at it now it looks like someone bought the last one since the only ones left are 2 of Mikes the seller hasn't taken down yet.

There is still a X6800 avaible here: https://world.taobao.com/item/520706952249.htm

Here is the sellers main page: https://shop69540952.world.taobao.com/ He has a bunch of Cherry stuff, vintage black etc. Some more alps like a cool compact TKL looking thing w/ SKCM White.