Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458579 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2600 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 09:44:34 »
the vintage switches i cleaned by using hot dish soapy water mixing them careful several times during the several hour soak. rinsing then adding water again and some denture cleaning tabs (the ones that bubble) letting that soak over night then ricing the next day (about 24hrs later) they came out really clean and minty  ;D

switches were completely disassembled i took the metal parts out before the water bath.
Yeah, that is the right way to clean them, But the discussion were on is lubing the first gen switches, which came pre-lubed from the factory. I cleaned my skcm blues the same way, but I let them air dry.

i'm so sorry, kinda jumped in with my experiences in cleaning with out reading the entire ongoing at the moment. however i'll be interested in the lubing aspects as well.
haha dont be sorry, you provided excellent advice as to how to clean switches. That way is perfect, and all you need to do for 2nd gen. Im not sure if lubing would affect the feel of later switches as much as the early ones.

idk the ones i have are vintage alps clones i got from wingpad. the switches were dirty and felt scratchy. after cleaning they felt crisp and really really nice (daddy like) it was a salvage project from the start that went deeper by me deciding to clean the switches. super duper happy with the end result. now to build new things with them xD
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #2601 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 09:56:58 »
Hope this is a good place to ask, didnt wanna start another thread.

Grabbed an Apple 658-4081 IIgs to test the switches out and see if Id want to salvage for a build at some point. But I was wondering if with a converter if id even be able to test it out on a windows machine? Even if just the alphas work it'd be fine to test.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2602 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:25:09 »

Grabbed an Apple 658-4081 IIgs to test the switches out and see if Id want to salvage for a build at some point. But I was wondering if with a converter if id even be able to test it out on a windows machine? Even if just the alphas work it'd be fine to test.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=14290.0

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #2603 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:28:08 »

Thank you, saw this earlier but assumed it was for mac. I'm a dumbass, carry on!  :thumb:

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2604 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 10:52:34 »

i can confirm it works as i did it with a IIgs. nice thing is that there is a hole in one of the rear feet where you can cut the teensy cable and feed it through then solder to the back of the ADB port on the pcb then you have a fully internal build without ruining the case etc. also, mine didn't have KRO so i sold it xD

Thank you, saw this earlier but assumed it was for mac. I'm a dumbass, carry on!  :thumb:
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2605 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 12:18:45 »
Got the dupont lube in. Lubed a couple of SKCM Blues. They are better but still don't feel as clean and snappy as the couple perfect condition ones I have. I'll let them sit for a bit and see how they do. It had less of an effect on the SKCL Greens. There is something up with the top housing causing friction. Lubed the slider wells.

You might also want to lube the contact and slider leaves, some keyboard companies were known to specifically lube those.

Based on my experience, here's what I can recommend:
  • Soak the top housings and sliders in soapy water -or- use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean them
  • Using a toothpick, clean the slots for the slider in the top housing. There is usually a lot of dust built up in them, even after soaking them. You'll want to scrape it away until they are smooth
  • Using a brush, lightly brush lube on the tabs of the slider and the slots for the slider in the top housing
  • Reassemble the switch, ensuring that the cutout on the slider is facing the switch plate and the two ridges on the top housing, exercising the usual caution when working on SKCM switches.

The switches are a bit mushy until you use them and/or they sit for a while, they begin to feel "regular" afterwards.
Thanks, ill follow your advice. I already soaked the SKCM Blue shells originally since they were so bad. After few hours they are feeling good. :thumb: A couple have too much lube and need to be redone. I'll take apart my best result one and see where I lubed it so I have a method. I was experimenting where to put the lube for best results.

I didn't do that for the SKCL Greens so i'll soak them. I noticed with them there seems to be some white stuff on the slider well in the top housing, its rough. Not coming off with alcohol and lube just barely masks it.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2606 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:42:29 »
So the SKCM Blues are coming out really well, but the SKCL Greens are still have a good amt of friction! I know its the top housings since if I swap a top housing from a SKCL Green from my Zenith they become perfect. I soaked them in warm soapy water for 3-4 hours and then rinsed them off. Then used a tooth pick to try to smooth out the slider well. Its almost as if they were used while dusty and the dust acted as sandpaper on the slider wells. I noticed some white ruff looking stuff in the slider well but after the toothpick they felt reasonably smooth. I'm not sure where to go for the Greens.

Thoughts? Maybe the denture tabs will do the trick, an active solvent to remove what ever is in the slider well. Damn China dirt :p The sliders themselves are perfect and require no lube.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2607 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 19:24:17 »
I don't know if it will help, but you can try cleaning the slider well walls with q-tips dipped in isopropanol as well.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2608 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:14:30 »
I built my "quiet" Alps version AT101W today to minimize disturbance to other people. It came out really well, I think.

Matias Quiet Click switches (I had about 65 new on hand) for the primary, most used keys, with non-dampened (pine) cream Alps for the rest, with white (pine) complicateds for the half-dozen where I want to be notified by sound (Caps Lock, Num Lock, Escape, etc).

But - Damn You, Tai Ho!

Why can't you give us a space bar and Caps lock?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:19:58 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline emdude

« Reply #2609 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:23:41 »
Ohh, yeah, I think it's weird Tai-Hao (and Matias) elected to use Costar-style stabilizers solely for the space bar.  I am assuming it's so that they don't have to bother with those extra cylinder/peg stab inserts (without which the space bar really wobbles, I've found).

Also, are there any currently-produced Alps key sets that DO have a stepped caps lock?  AFAIK, neither Tai-Hao nor Matias make them.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2610 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 17:17:36 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:26:32 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2611 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:57:30 »
Thats a cool board!

So I got my method down for lubing my SKCM Blues. Lube slider and switch plate with dupont lube using a q tip. Lubing the click leaf or top housing dampens the click. After a couple of hours sitting they feel snappy and nice. Not quite as perfect as my couple perfect condicton Blues but plenty better than SKCM White. It is a bit slow going though. Still dunno what to do with the SKCL Greens. Anyone have a ton of linear top housings laying around? Lol.

I don't know if it will help, but you can try cleaning the slider well walls with q-tips dipped in isopropanol as well.
Been doing that. There's something up with those damn top housings. Maybe I can send a couple to Windpad for help lol.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2612 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:59:27 »
Thats a cool board!

So I got my method down for lubing my SKCM Blues. Lube slider and switch plate with dupont lube using a q tip. Lubing the click leaf or top housing dampens the click. After a couple of hours sitting they feel snappy and nice. Not quite as perfect as my couple perfect condicton Blues but plenty better than SKCM White. It is a bit slow going though. Still dunno what to do with the SKCL Greens. Anyone have a ton of linear top housings laying around? Lol.

Been doing that. There's something up with those damn top housings. Maybe I can send a couple to Windpad for help lol.
I can send you a few good condition top housings from my click modded greens, I have the original housings lying around. The greens I used were immaculate to begon with. 

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2613 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:27:16 »
Found this beauty today, amber alert!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2614 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:30:54 »
Dayum son, I'm jealous, been wanting to give Ambers a go :D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2615 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:32:59 »

Thanks! I'm not sure what to do yet, only enough switches for a 60% but I don't have a 60% pcb atm.. I need another one of these things for a full board, lol.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2616 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:38:56 »
This next pay check I'm going to try to pick up another board with SKCM Whites. I kind of miss the ones I had even though they were in ****ty condition :P

I'd like to take a Focus and put a set of Olivetti doubleshots on it, keep the retro look with a splash of color.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2617 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:39:47 »

Thanks! I'm not sure what to do yet, only enough switches for a 60% but I don't have a 60% pcb atm.. I need another one of these things for a full board, lol.

I regret trading my Ambers for more SKCM Blue if only because I want to give them one more try after letting myself get into SKCM Brown, which I disliked initially too. One thing I didn't like about the Ambers that probably won't change is the sound of their clicks.

Digi, do you remember that one guy on reddit who had like three of these things and put his ambers in an AEK? Were you thinking of putting them into a custom or a vintage board?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2618 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:50:44 »
Digi, do you remember that one guy on reddit who had like three of these things and put his ambers in an AEK? Were you thinking of putting them into a custom or a vintage board?

What is this "Reddit" you speak of?! :P I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I kind of what to do a TKL but I need another 20+ switches or so...hmm.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2619 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 19:56:27 »
Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil! 

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2620 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:00:18 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:25:36 by alienman82 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2621 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:14:53 »

no cherry?
We don't mention that word in this thread.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2622 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:16:44 »

no cherry?
We don't mention that word in this thread.

Can we add the word "cherry" to the foul language filter so every time someone types, it enters @(#&*! instead? =D

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2623 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:17:01 »
Got this beauty in the mail today. Just need to get a cable for it.

sent from my chess board

Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2624 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:17:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:25:33 by alienman82 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2625 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:17:35 »
Cherry are more better and smoother and superior tactility for gaming than ALPS which are old and not designed for gaming!1

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2626 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:18:00 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2627 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:18:16 »
Show Image

sent from my chess board
You have to tell me what that is, I want one!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2628 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:18:42 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:25:25 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2629 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:19:53 »
$&@"# are more better and smoother and superior tactility for gaming than ALPS which are old and not designed for gaming!1
NO RAZER IS BEST !!!1!11

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2630 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:20:18 »
Show Image

sent from my chess board

IDOL Japan Corp Model KB-SMK-97

mac white alps vintage.

so heavy. so good. got to find a cable quick i'm dieing to try it out for realz
Projects

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2631 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:20:57 »
Show Image

sent from my chess board

mac white alps vintage.

Where did you get it? are there more?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2632 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:21:13 »
$&@"# are more better and smoother and superior tactility for gaming than ALPS which are old and not designed for gaming!1
NO RAZER IS BEST !!!1!11

razer is the best at marketing to gamers. i'll give them that. not a huge fan of their thin ABS caps or cherry clones.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2633 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:21:34 »
Show Image

sent from my chess board

mac white alps vintage.

Where did you get it? are there more?

i bought it from Blaze
and i dont think so.
Projects

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2634 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:21:53 »
NO RAZER IS BEST !!!1!11

razer is the best at marketing to gamers. i'll give them that. not a huge fan of their thin ABS caps or cherry clones.
Im not a fan of their anything

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2635 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:22:26 »
Guys, let's stay on topic please, no more (*&#$ talk =D

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2636 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:23:27 »
alps are the sh*t!  :thumb:

on topic?  :))
Projects

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2637 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:23:47 »
alps are the sh*t!  :thumb:

on topic?  :))
hell yeah

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2638 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:23:56 »
Do you see what happens? Cherry is tearing us apart and turning this into a ****posting thread!

ALPS is love and happiness.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2639 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:24:50 »
are alps the hippy switches that sing koombi-ya and smoke weed?  :eek:
Projects

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2640 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:25:43 »

No, thats Topre ;o

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2641 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:26:43 »

No, thats Topre ;o

oh ok. good info there. clarification is key.

all and all i have to say as much as i use cherry/clones i really do like alps. just wish i had a pile of alps caps i wasn't using like i do Cherry.
Projects

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2642 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:27:02 »
Alps are the curmudgeonly Comp. Sci. professor who always complains about how "they don't build them like they used to."

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2643 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:28:21 »
hell yeah

Just want to say that you have the manliest avatar on GH period...what to do what all that CPU power!?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2644 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:28:27 »
Alps are the curmudgeonly Comp. Sci. professor who always complains about how "they don't build them like they used to."

no wonder i like them so much. that guy was always cool as hell.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2645 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:29:38 »
ignore this post
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:31:36 by mrbishop »
Projects

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2646 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:30:13 »
hell yeah

Just want to say that you have the manliest avatar on GH period...what to do what all that CPU power!?
folding @ home to cure cancer obviously

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2647 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:31:32 »
hell yeah

folding @ home to cure cancer obviously

That was my 2nd guess!!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2648 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:32:19 »
Cherry are more better and smoother and superior tactility for gaming than ALPS which are old and not designed for gaming!

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2649 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 20:33:10 »
ALPS is like the embodyment of the phrase "they don't build them like they used to"