Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458519 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2750 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 18:41:37 »
Do you guys think this is Alps? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291119068552

Reminds me of the SGI Button Box, and that had LED'd SKCL Gray's.

I saw this one a while back, Mattr. I was wondering the same thing. The front-facing windows would imply a switch with a front-facing LED like Alps SKCL or Cherry MX. With that high price, it's too much of a gamble. The button box had SKCL Grey, but who knows what this might have, even if it was Alps.

So the 7u spacebar does use Costar-style stabilizers?  It sounds like you can use it with a plate that uses Alps-style stab inserts though, which is good..
Yes, luckily it worked for me on the Omnikey 101. However, I have seen all sorts of variations on spacebar sizes and stabilizer schemes in Alps-switch keyboards -- sort of like a box of chocolates. ;)

Yeah, it seems that some stabilizer inserts work alright with the cruciform mount. Does Matias have some kind of hybrid stab that can fit inside the cruciform indention? Traditional Alps stabs would have to be shaven, and Costar obviously does not have the clearance to work. This would've been a good option for my Orion space bar instead of the grueling attempts and eventual success I had in dyeing the ABS black.

I'll have to look into a set sometime.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2751 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 19:12:41 »
@E3E: Matias supplies cruciform inserts for the cruciform mounts on each side of their spacebars. They work quite well -- no adaptations needed.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2752 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 19:57:24 »
I have finally found something awesome today at the thrift store buried under a bunch of rubber domes!. SKCL Browns?   ;D ;D

I haven't cleaned the board or anything, it looks to be in a near perfect state, little to no yellowing and all of the switches feel fine, except for the numpad 4 key which feels like there is something jammed in it, but it still registers. It works too, plugged it into my Model M's AT>PS/2 adapter and then to my blue cube and voila! 

It's also the oldest keyboard I own now, if I'm reading the label right it's from 1986 which makes it about a year older than my Model M.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2753 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:04:13 »
I have finally found something awesome today at the thrift store buried under a bunch of rubber domes!. SKCL Browns?   ;D ;D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I haven't cleaned the board or anything, it looks to be in a near perfect state, little to no yellowing and all of the switches feel fine, except for the numpad 4 key which feels like there is something jammed in it, but it still registers. It works too, plugged it into my Model M's AT>PS/2 adapter and then to my blue cube and voila! 

It's also the oldest keyboard I own now, if I'm reading the label right it's from 1986 which makes it about a year older than my Model M.

Amazing find, Klennkellon, you just found one of the few keyboards that have SKCL Brown! Very much an amazing find, thrift store find or not. Prepare for some people to be PMing you to buy the thing off of you, haha.

How do you like the switches? It looks like the board is in great shape. Yep, more evidence that SKCL Brown is a Korean switch made by Goldstar Alps exclusively.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:06:16 by E3E »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2754 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:11:49 »
I haven't tried any other linear ALPS to compare them to but they feel great, the only other linear switch I have tried were MX and Kailh reds, neither of which are as smooth as these.

My favorite thing about them so far is the sound, they are by far my favorite sounding switch, even more than my Model M or SKCM White.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2755 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:17:28 »
I haven't tried any other linear ALPS to compare them to but they feel great, the only other linear switch I have tried were MX and Kailh reds, neither of which are as smooth as these.

My favorite thing about them so far is the sound, they are by far my favorite sounding switch, even more than my Model M or SKCM White.

Awesome. SKCL Brown is, without a doubt, one of my favorite switches. Do you plan to keep it as is? It seems like it's in perfect shape as you've said. :D

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2756 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:21:25 »
Holy **** man :eek:

What a find. Is the spacebar switch also SKCL Brown?

edit: Should be SKCL Amber!!!!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:23:35 by Mattr567 »
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2757 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:24:05 »
I'm going to keep it, I really like it and I was wanting a new Alps board. I take if you've tried them? How do they compare to the other linear Alps?

edit: The label says gold star alps

It could just be me but it feels stiffer than the other switches, I don't want to remove it because Alps stabs are a nightmare for me for some reason.

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:59:10 by klennkellon »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2758 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:25:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It doesn't have to be from '86, the serial number might just end in that. Still, 1986 is actually a reasonable estimate for SKCL brown :) . Indeed, it was very much a Goldstar thing, so it makes sense this one is too.

Congrats though, it's a fantastic find for sure. It looks quite a bit like the Focus FK-747, except subtly different. And it looks ****ing immaculate :D . And yeah, I bet they sound nice, it's not Alps if it doesn't have a great soundtrack!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2759 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:28:09 »
Build quality feels like a Focus too, it's just OK

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2760 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:28:55 »
I'm going to keep it, I really like it and I was wanting a new Alps board. I take if you've tried them? How do they compare to the other linear Alps?

It could just be me but it feels stiffer than the other switches, I don't want to remove it because Alps stabs are a nightmare for me for some reason.
Looking at the model number it should be SKCL Amber.  KCLEA907L. I'm nominating this for find of the year lol.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2761 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:31:12 »

My preferred method is to seat the key on the switch with the wire dangling, then use a small flat-head screwdriver to gently seat the wire into the slot on the plastic tab. It is easier if you remove the surrounding keys to gain some working space.

With the space bar that may mean taking off the top case shell.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E3E

« Reply #2762 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:33:52 »

Yep, the space bar should be an SKCL Amber switch; it's been that way for every SKCL Brown board I have seen, from the Visual board, to the Tandem I owned (which was a banana compared to yours, though it had 101 keys), to others I've seen posted on korean forums (I believe). Any keyboard made in Korea has the chance of having SKCL Brown Alps.

IMO, it's like the same kind of chance game you get with SKCM Blue, in that the switch can come in many different boards, but those boards can come with several switches, except with SKCL Brown, you're on the next tier of difficulty, haha.

I took the SKCL Browns out of my Tandem keyboard because it was a dumb terminal board and wasn't usable off the bat. I made a project out of using them for my Alps NCR keyboard build, which used a Leeku 3000 Alps compatible PCB and an Acer 6011 plate (heavily modified to use Cherry PCB mount stabs) to mount the switches and use some Tai Hao FAME cherry profile caps.

Also drilled every switch so I could add backlighting to the keyboard, oh god.

Anyway, congrats on your find. It's probably the rarest Alps switch along with SKCM Green. People will be able to get a similar feel with SPRIT's spring GB coming up soon after swapping the approx weight into a linear switch.  :thumb:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2763 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:34:19 »

My preferred method is to seat the key on the switch with the wire dangling, then use a small flat-head screwdriver to gently seat the wire into the slot on the plastic tab. It is easier if you remove the surrounding keys to gain some working space.

With the space bar that may mean taking of the top case shell.

Yea, thats what I do too. Also have a method for when those plastic tabs come out with the wire. Have to get them angled right to reseat them in the plate properly.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2764 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:42:13 »
Yeah, that Packard Bell has been noted before as having SKCL Brown, and so far, the only documentation of it has shown it to have SKCL Brown, at least as far as I know, so it might be one of, if not the only keyboard that ALWAYS has SKCL Brown.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2765 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:42:33 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:43 by alienman82 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2766 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:44:55 »
why can't all the cherry threads be this active?

Because cherry is so boring.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E3E

« Reply #2767 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:55:20 »

I forgot to comment on the comparison:

So I've pretty much tried and currently own all the major linear switches with Alps: Yellow, Cream, Brown and Green.

Green is the lightest. Very smooth, but very airy and light. I can see people wanting something a little bit heavier.

Yellow is a little bit heavier. It's around 5-10g heavier than SKCL Green but is a big underdog most people don't care for. It's a nice switch, but I'm happy with SKCL Green and Brown.

Cream is a jump up from Yellow and it's a bit heavier. It's cushiony and feels almost as heavy as SKCL Brown.

Brown is the heaviest linear switch that you can found across a keyboard's alphanumeric keys. It's probably my favorite linear, but I like green a lot too.

So yeah, you're dealing the the heaviest linears. I use a SKCL brown spring in an SKCM Blue switch for my space bar on my Orion TKL. I don't mind uniform springs on any other SKCM blue board I have, but on the Orion, I have to have a heavier space bar spring.

Here's the weights I noted for the different switches. Used a roll of coins. I don't have a fancy weight system. :P

SKCL (linear) Brown - 75g
SKCL (linear) Cream - 70g
SKCL Yellow - 65g
SKCL Green - 52g
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:58:15 by E3E »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2768 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 20:57:52 »
Next time I get some nickels I'll do a proper weight test.

They are at least lighter than my Model M, so at most they're 70g.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2769 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:02:32 »
Next time I get some nickels I'll do a proper weight test.

They are at least lighter than my Model M, so at most they're 70g.

Those are bottom out weights though. I just tested it on my NCR, and the switch actuates at 60g. It takes 75 to fully bottom out the switch. Using nickles. :P I've got bundles for 50g, 25g, 20g, 15g, and 10g, haha.

Perhaps we should compare!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:12:15 by E3E »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2770 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:12:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome find!  As another SoCal resident, perhaps there is still hope for a fun thrift store find for me. :p
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #2771 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:14:01 »
why can't all the cherry threads be this active?

Because cherry is so boring.

The timeline, mystery and pursuit are part of what makes Alps so fun. Cherry lacks the vintage intrigue.

Does anyone have a reference for how comparable the springs in various switches are to those in SPRiT's GB?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline E3E

« Reply #2772 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:15:42 »
For the Alps springs in SPRiT's group buy, there will be a testing period, and then I think the results of that will lead to those kinds of comparisons to give buyers a better idea.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2773 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:50:40 »
I don't dare ever open these switches up, but I wonder how they would feel and sound if you put a Matias or SKCM White click leaf in them.

Also, these keycaps are interesting, they look like medium thick ABS but they are incredibly dense. No matter how hard I try I can just barely start to get them to bend.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:54:24 by klennkellon »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2774 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 21:55:15 »
I don't dare ever open these switches up, but I wonder how they would feel and sound if you put a Matias or SKCM White click leaf in them.

It'd just be like a heavier weighted version of those switches. You would need to swap an SKCM switch top onto it first though. My SKCM Blue with a SKCL Brown spring still sounds and feels like an SKCM Blue, but it's just heavier.

It's the tactile/click leaf that really effects the tactile feel and sound, so you'll pretty much just be changing weight. Keep in mind that that pleasant sound you get from the switches also comes from the key caps, case, and plate. :) It'd probably be a bit different in another case.

The key caps are Alps Electric double shot key caps. Yeah, they're pretty nice!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2775 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 23:00:44 »
Holy ****. I come back to check geekhack and klennkellon has found the board of the year. I wish I was that lucky :))

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2776 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 00:19:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

:eek:
Damn it our thrift stores suck here.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2777 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 00:57:50 »
I think these rival the "Pingmasters" holy crud.

feature=youtu.be

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2778 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 05:39:24 »
Sorry for the double post, but I found out what was wrong with that one switch.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2779 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 06:33:48 »
OK, stupid question time. Are SKCM brown and SKCL brown in any way "related"? I mean, if you take out tactile leaf from SKCM Brown, would you get (near) SKCL Brown? :p Or are the springs and/or contact leaves completely different?

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2780 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 06:34:46 »
Once I get my hand on the other handful I need for my TKL, I'll give you one =)

If you have anything left after that, PM me please ;)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2781 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 07:22:30 »
I think these rival the "Pingmasters" holy crud.

feature=youtu.be
Haha, yeah, earlier SKCL/SKCM switches, especially SKCL green, are known for their pinginess xD . That said, SKCCs are on a whole different level, everytime I try my Pingmaster or especially the M0110A I'm surprised by how loud it is xD . Apparently the Pingsaver is pretty bad as well.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #2782 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 09:17:24 »
Building my Alps64 in a few days, finally will be able to put these caps to good use(the alphas at least)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2783 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 09:21:21 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:34 by alienman82 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2784 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 09:27:40 »
Building my Alps64 in a few days, finally will be able to put these caps to good use(the alphas at least)

Show Image

Very cool. Which mods are you going to use?

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #2785 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 10:13:47 »

Show Image

Very cool. Which mods are you going to use?

Going to use the mods from a ANSI AEKII to match it  :)

Show Image

very nice :D

Thanks been meaning to build something with it for such a long time  :))

Offline E3E

« Reply #2786 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 14:50:17 »
Hey guys, just a reminder that my Alps board is in the KOTM running right now, so if you guys dig it, please go vote, or just vote on whatever board you like the most, really. :D

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83917.0|

My board also has those sweet SKCL Brown switches with backlighting. I really want to see someone else do some Alps SKCL backlighting across a board, haha. It's pretty cool to see a board with vintage switches that were never meant for that kind of thing kind of fit in with modern trends.

OK, stupid question time. Are SKCM brown and SKCL brown in any way "related"? I mean, if you take out tactile leaf from SKCM Brown, would you get (near) SKCL Brown? :p Or are the springs and/or contact leaves completely different?

Not a stupid question, my friend. In short, they are pretty different.

The slider color is EXACTLY the same between SKCL and SKCM Brown, however the slider is not the same. It is symmetrical on SKCL Brown (like SKCL Cream and SKCL Green, etc), but asymmetrical like most Alps switches on SKCM Brown.

I haven't measured the spring weight of SKCM Brown without a tactile leaf, but I think it is lighter than SKCL Brown. Most of the resistance from SKCM Brown comes from the leaf shape itself. The contact leaves are the same though.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2787 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:22:22 »
Okay, wow. SKCM Brown has a seriously light spring.

I measured actuation at ~47.5 (9 nickles and a penny). Bottom out was at 50.

See the weird thing with Alps that makes it so hard to figure out a proper bottom out weight is, well... Sometimes the balance of the weight on the cap lets more or less weight sit on top of the switch before bottoming. I guess because of the weight distribution?

I could get it to bottom with 50 though, every time. So it is much lighter than SKCL Brown.

So we've got a spring that's pretty much on par with SKCL Green in an otherwise heavy switch. The leaf spring really does take up all the resistance.

Testing SKCL Brown again, it bottoms at 70g. So actuation for brown is 60g and it bottoms at 70.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:27:27 by E3E »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2788 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:31:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:10 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2789 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:32:45 »
Show Image

time to buy :D

Did that PCB not come with RGB LEDs above the nav cluster? It seems like they're missing.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2790 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:33:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:05 by alienman82 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2791 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:33:33 »

So I've pretty much tried and currently own all the major linear switches with Alps: Yellow, Cream, Brown and Green.

Green is the lightest. Very smooth, but very airy and light. I can see people wanting something a little bit heavier.

Yellow is a little bit heavier. It's around 5-10g heavier than SKCL Green but is a big underdog most people don't care for. It's a nice switch, but I'm happy with SKCL Green and Brown.

Cream is a jump up from Yellow and it's a bit heavier. It's cushiony and feels almost as heavy as SKCL Brown.

Brown is the heaviest linear switch that you can found across a keyboard's alphanumeric keys. It's probably my favorite linear, but I like green a lot too.

So yeah, you're dealing the the heaviest linears. I use a SKCL brown spring in an SKCM Blue switch for my space bar on my Orion TKL. I don't mind uniform springs on any other SKCM blue board I have, but on the Orion, I have to have a heavier space bar spring.

Here's the weights I noted for the different switches. Used a roll of coins. I don't have a fancy weight system. :P

SKCL Yellow - 65g
SKCL Green - 52g

You need to try Ambers son! Ambers and Blues are where it's at!

I have what I like to call "Chyros Ghetto-Browns" (blacks with the leaves removed), really all you would need is a heavier spring and you could basically replicate Browns right?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2792 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:35:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:02 by alienman82 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2793 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:36:22 »

SKCL Yellow - 65g
SKCL Green - 52g

I have what I like to call "Chyros Ghetto-Browns" (blacks with the leaves removed), really all you would need is a heavier spring and you could basically replicate Browns right?

a NIB ambers board just sold for $100.  I tried to get it for a friend in Canada, but someone beat me to it.

Damn, I need someone to sell me 25 amber switches so I can make a TKL when that GB goes live..I'm in no rush though..

Offline E3E

« Reply #2794 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:40:27 »

I've tried pretty much everything haha. I haven't tried pine SKCM Black or OG SKCM Ivory/Cream from the Canon Typewriters, but those examples aren't very different from their counterparts from what I've read. Pine tops add more tactility and the Ivory switches are just a bit stiffer? Still want to try those though.

Ambers... I didn't like the click very much and it felt like I was typing on rocky road. I do want to buy an Apple IIc again and give them a second chance, but I traded all of mine for more blues lol.

I would say that the blacks in an AT101W aren't as heavy as SKCL Brown though, lemmie check, haha.

Edit: Nope, they're more like ghetto SKCL Yellows. All of those switches, SKCL Yellow, SKCM White, SKCM Salmon, SKCM Black and I think even SKCM Green, use the same weighting for the return spring.

I got my Apple IIc for $47. $100 is a nightmare. Ugh, damn the prices.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:43:25 by E3E »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2795 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:46:06 »

I've tried pretty much everything haha. I haven't tried pine SKCM Black or OG SKCM Ivory/Cream from the Canon Typewriters, but those examples aren't very different from their counterparts from what I've read. Pine tops add more tactility and the Ivory switches are just a bit stiffer? Still want to try those though.

Ambers... I didn't like the click very much and it felt like I was typing on rocky road. I do want to buy an Apple IIc again and give them a second chance, but I traded all of mine for more blues lol.

I would say that the blacks in an AT101W aren't as heavy as SKCL Brown though, lemmie check, haha.

Edit: Nope, they're more like ghetto SKCL Yellows. All of those switches, SKCL Yellow, SKCM White, SKCM Salmon, SKCM Black and I think even SKCM Green, use the same weighting for the return spring.

I got my Apple IIc for $47. $100 is a nightmare. Ugh, damn the prices.

I noticed there are at least two if not more model numbers on the Apple IIc keyboard p/n's themselves...I'm not sure if there is a difference between them and which ones carry Ambers, or do all of them have Ambers?

Offline E3E

« Reply #2796 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:47:19 »
I noticed there are at least two if not more model numbers on the Apple IIc keyboard p/n's themselves...I'm not sure if there is a difference between them and which ones carry Ambers, or do all of them have Ambers?

The ones that always have ambers are the A2S4100 models. I think they're also known as the platinum versions, but I'm not 100% sure on that last bit. Nope, nevermind. :P

That model number is correct though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:50:17 by E3E »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2797 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:50:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:22:56 by alienman82 »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2798 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:52:24 »

These are pine blacks or bamboo blacks?

The slider color is EXACTLY the same between SKCL and SKCM Brown, however the slider is not the same. It is symmetrical on SKCL Brown (like SKCL Cream and SKCL Green, etc), but asymmetrical like most Alps switches on SKCM Brown.

The contact leaves are the same though.

And what is the exact purpose of the asymmetry that was introduced? Especially since contact leaves are the same.

a NIB ambers board just sold for $100.  I tried to get it for a friend in Canada, but someone beat me to it.

So I've been looking for Ambers for some two months, and now this happens. Not to mention this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-Macintosh-IIc-Compact-Computer-w-case-disks-power-untested-/272327510559
And when I bid on one that was in my proxy's hometown so there would be no local shipping cost, and the package was just the untested machine, it went for some $70. Alps hunt can really get frustrating, especially for us across the Atlantic. Deep breaths :)

(Did I mention I'm looking for a proxy in Arizona?  ;D )
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:55:23 by alh84001 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2799 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:52:29 »

The ones that always have ambers are the A2S4100 models. I think they're also known as the platinum versions, but I'm not 100% sure on that last bit. Nope, nevermind. :P

That model number is correct though.

I'm guessing that's the p/n of the Apple IIC itself, the actualy keyboard number is like xxx-xxxx