Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458492 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2950 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 09:43:49 »
most of us would kill to have one, they rarely come up for sale and when they do, theyre not cheap.

I kick myself for not buying one that Akimbo offered to sell me in the mid-$200s a few years ago, but I was broke.
Holy ****balls, $200?! Can't you just make one yourself for less than that?! Oo
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #2951 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:10:40 »
most of us would kill to have one, they rarely come up for sale and when they do, theyre not cheap.

I kick myself for not buying one that Akimbo offered to sell me in the mid-$200s a few years ago, but I was broke.
Holy ****balls, $200?! Can't you just make one yourself for less than that?! Oo

Do you no how much they sell for these days? Like $700. :P I bought my Orion v2 with an Alps PCB and plate for $740 and invested over $1100~ total with the hotswap modding, buying mint AT101 caps, dyeing equipment, etc. The sockets for the hot swapping cost $100 alone (getting them from the UK was actually a lot cheaper than ordering them from digikey when I used a proxy).

I sold both of the MX plates that came with my Orion which took away $180 from the expenses, but I still spent around the $1000 mark on this keyboard, haha.

I invested $660-700~ in my Hammer Alps  board that's in my display picture.

Yeah, the prices are crazy, dude.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:16:29 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2952 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:32:07 »
Do you no how much they sell for these days? Like $700. :P I bought my Orion v2 with an Alps PCB and plate for $740 and invested over $1100~ total with the hotswap modding, buying mint AT101 caps, dyeing equipment, etc. The sockets for the hot swapping cost $100 alone (getting them from the UK was actually a lot cheaper than ordering them from digikey when I used a proxy).

I sold both of the MX plates that came with my Orion which took away $180 from the expenses, but I still spent around the $1000 mark on this keyboard, haha.

I invested $660-700~ in my Hammer Alps  board that's in my display picture.

Yeah, the prices are crazy, dude.
What the actual ****, dude xD . That kind of money nets you an overpriced blue Alps board xD .

That said, I might have to start my own Alps build soon xD.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2953 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:37:03 »

What the actual ****, dude

I think that the kits were about $350+, in maybe 2012 dollars. Not including switches and caps.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E3E

« Reply #2954 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:38:03 »
What the actual ****, dude xD . That kind of money nets you an overpriced blue Alps board xD .

That said, I might have to start my own Alps build soon xD.

That's essentially what the customs are, haha (that's a good joke though, lol; reminds me of the DC-3014 that just sold). I think the personalization (the weight is pretty nice too, but not everything) is what sells it for me though. I hot swapped most of my Alps board for even more variety, so they can be more than just a single switch board or whatever. I only actually switch up switches on one of my hotswap boards often. The rest kind of stay as they are, but it is super convenient.

ESPECIALLY when you're trying to put a switch back together on a nearly 8 lb keyboard after opening it and there's no good way to do so without seriously maiming yourself or the keyboard. Popping the switch out makes it so much easier, haha.

That said, where customs have that personalization value for me, there's something about the history that vintages have that charms me more than customs ever could. It's why I have a seriously hard time dismantling any vintages unless there's good reason to.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:40:11 by E3E »

Offline itzmeluigi

• ПБТ
« Reply #2955 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 11:35:27 »

:)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2956 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 11:37:49 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2957 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:38:30 »
Show Image

:)

Luigi, at it again with the most Kingsavers this side of GeekHack.

Random pic of the Orion because pretty gold sockets.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2958 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:53:40 »
The space bar on the left one is a little yellow.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline E3E

« Reply #2959 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 13:00:41 »
The space bar on the left one is a little yellow.

I'd say the left and right one both seem yellow, but then that's probably the lighting. Those Wang caps have a bit more of a cream tinge to them than I imagined. The closest PBT caps I've seen come to neutral grey have been the IBM Multistation newer caps, and the DocuTech/6085 key caps.

Not sure how warm or cold the SGI Granite (grey mod) alphas are. I only have the beige ones, and those alphas have a weird reddish tinge I dislike. The AT101 PBT set has a warm egg nog kind of hue not too dissimilar to how these Wangs appear, except these caps seem to have a uniform color with no differences between mods and alphas (except for the f row and the nav/arrow cluster).
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 13:06:25 by E3E »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2960 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 13:12:21 »
I'd say the SGI Granite alphas are cold compared to the pearl color of IBM key caps.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2961 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 15:36:52 »
Someone is offering me an FK-2001 from 93' made in the USA for $40, it looks like it's in great condition, think it's worth it? I've never heard of one made in the US.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2962 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 17:58:14 »
Sorry to necro klennkellon and matt's finds but holy cow, those are some nice Packard Bells. Very jealous of both! I have been too busy to keep up with this thread but I will try to check in from time to time.

I have still been working on things in my spare time, most recently I began restoring a real (not painted like my previous one) Black Dell AT101W and swapping in Orange Alps. I painted the plate and began soldering in switches but I'm not done yet:

Also stole klennkellon's to put a mini "switch tester" under the print screen, scroll lock and pause cluster:

Sorry for the potato quality :p

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2963 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 18:07:24 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:19:34 by alienman82 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2964 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 18:49:36 »

Black Dell AT101W and swapping in Orange Alps.

Pretty much what I did. Makes for a wonderful board with the PBT caps. I swapped in the weight bar from one of the old ones and padded the case.

Feels even better with the AEK style caps but they are goofy and don't make a realistic set.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2965 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 19:07:17 »
Someone is offering me an FK-2001 from 93' made in the USA for $40, it looks like it's in great condition, think it's worth it? I've never heard of one made in the US.
Me neither Oo . All the ones I know were made in Asia Oo . By '93 it probably came with clones, but with one like this you never know. It's pretty hard to mistake it as well because it says clearly on the label normally.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2966 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 21:54:02 »
Me neither Oo . All the ones I know were made in Asia Oo . By '93 it probably came with clones, but with one like this you never know. It's pretty hard to mistake it as well because it says clearly on the label normally.
It says the types of switches on the label?

BTW, I did see a few other pictures of a 93' US made 2001 and though it was in /Japanese it looks like it may be using some clicky Alps style white Omron. But as we've said before the 2001 is a wheel of fortune.

http://hw001.spaaqs.ne.jp/kaineko2/album20120229.html

If anyone here reads Japanese and would translate it I would be grateful.

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2016, 21:56:49 by klennkellon »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2967 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:08:53 »
Huh, that doesn't look like an Omron to me.

The pictures aren't great, but I -think- I see the distinctive Alps tabs, so maybe they're real Alps. I also see slits, so they seem legit in this case.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2968 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 22:44:02 »

The pictures aren't great, but I -think- I see the distinctive Alps tabs, so maybe they're real Alps. I also see slits, so they seem legit in this case.
On the deskauthority site the style Omrons the slider looks just like the Alps slider.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Omron_Alps-style_switch

Offline E3E

« Reply #2969 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 23:46:11 »

On the deskauthority site the style Omrons the slider looks just like the Alps slider.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Omron_Alps-style_switch

These are definitely Alps though:

You can see the typical circular stamp mark on the bottom left that is typical of genuine Alps switches.

And zoomed in as much as possible, you can faintly see the Alps logo on the top housing.

In the typing video, they compare with white Omrons, but at least in those pics, they're Alps.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2970 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:40:01 »
Oh okay, I see. Thanks.

I was starting to become under the impression that maybe only the American ones used the Omrons for some reason.

I think I'm going to buy it, I'll report back here with pictures when it arrives for *gags* keyboard science.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2971 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:13:29 »
Haha, good luck. It's interesting that Focus even had any US made keyboards, considering that they're speculated to have made the Omnikeys, and I think all of those were made in Taiwan afaik. I know Northgate sold the design off to some other companies though.

I think that's where the Avant Prime and that weird black Omnikey come from.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2972 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:17:37 »
Haha, good luck. It's interesting that Focus even had any US made keyboards, considering that they're speculated to have made the Omnikeys, and I think all of those were made in Taiwan afaik. I know Northgate sold the design off to some other companies though.

Wait what? Wouldn't expect them to had made something like the Omnikey, which is built like carbon nanotudes compared Focus's usual "meh" build quality.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2973 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:33:20 »

Wait what? Wouldn't expect them to had made something like the Omnikey, which is built like carbon nanotudes compared Focus's usual "meh" build quality.

Have you ever seen the Focus FK-555? It bears striking similarities to the Northgate Omnikey. Some think that Focus just cloned the Omnikey, but I'm not sure. I feel like the 555 came out before the Omnikey.

Also, both the 555 and FK-747 have been spotted with Northgate Systems badges/stickers on their bezel.

Here's my FK-555:

More

The Focus FK-747/727 and the 555 had really similar design cues. The back being powder coated white with those same feet that the Omnikey uses is very strange.

I do think there's a connection, especially because of the models with Northgate stickers.

But yeah, later Focuses were built pretty shoddily, I hear. I've never actually owned one. Well, unless you count the ruined PCB/Plate combo with scattered caps I got from TaoBao.

Also, the 555 is one of the heaviest metal backed boards I own.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:36:40 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2974 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 06:30:38 »
Without a doubt, Focus and Northgate share a common ancestor. We even have pictures of a Northgate-branded FK-555 and a FK-747. If you look at the design of the case on the 555, and of the style of model sticker, it's obvious that they were made by the same manufacturer, not even counting the fact that they came with the same switches and were made in the same country and apparently plant.

Northgate probably didn't make them themselves, as it'd be weird for an American company and distributor to operate solely out of Asia, but whether Focus made both or someone else did is not known yet. Regardless, Focus and Northgate have been intertwined from very early on.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2975 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 10:40:20 »
Yep, they definitely seem like they popped out of the same factory. The designs are just too similar, the model stickers are spitting images of each other, and those northgate systems stickers are just too convenient for them not to have a connection. Sandy also points out the pencil holder ridge between the FK-555 and the Omnikey sharing that distinct look.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2976 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 11:03:24 »
I have still been working on things in my spare time, most recently I began restoring a real (not painted like my previous one) Black Dell AT101W and swapping in Orange Alps. I painted the plate and began soldering in switches but I'm not done yet:
Show Image

This looks great. A nice little build right there.

I have a question, what are Alps Kingsavers? Is it just a name for any customized TKL alps board?

They are a specific custom aluminum-cased TKL made by Duck years back. It has a very specific layout and can only use key caps from a Wang 725.

It's a flat cased design with aluminum cone feet. Can't dig up pics atm.

I was fortunate enough to buy one off Akimbo by way of jdcarpe. Some thoughts and pics there if you're interested. Easily my second favorite keyboard.

Did anyone here ever try those clicky green Alps clones on those XM Ducky's awhile back? I've heard the build quality of the board itself was complete trash but interested in the switches, they had a neat sound.

I bought one of those with the white clones a while back at MK. It was easily the worst keyboard I've bought. And those Green XM Clones were horrible. They were gritty and plasticky. I really hated them and that board. Smelled awful too. Dunno why factory fresh smell was a good thing earlier in this thread lol.

Offline lunas

« Reply #2977 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:27:34 »
I just picked up an Apple M0116 off eBay, finally my first chance to try out Alps. On arrival I discovered the board was in pretty bad shape with nasty stuff all over the plate and keycaps. Lucky me though, the keycaps cleaned up very nicely, and surprisingly the switches (salmon) seem to be pretty clean. I've opened a few switches and found very little to worry about inside.  I've desoldered and plan to put these on an Infinity board.

They feel pretty clean, but I don't have a point of reference for what a clean set feels like. Would it be pretty obvious (either feel or visually inside) if these had dust/contamination issues? The plate and keys were pretty bad, but the switch action seems pretty smooth to me.

I also lubed a few, and can hardly tell the difference. Still debating if I bother with lube, but if I'm going to open them all up, it's not much of an extra step.
Pok3r Whitefox

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2978 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:34:57 »
I just picked up an Apple M0116 off eBay, finally my first chance to try out Alps. On arrival I discovered the board was in pretty bad shape with nasty stuff all over the plate and keycaps. Lucky me though, the keycaps cleaned up very nicely, and surprisingly the switches (salmon) seem to be pretty clean. I've opened a few switches and found very little to worry about inside.  I've desoldered and plan to put these on an Infinity board.

They feel pretty clean, but I don't have a point of reference for what a clean set feels like. Would it be pretty obvious (either feel or visually inside) if these had dust/contamination issues? The plate and keys were pretty bad, but the switch action seems pretty smooth to me.

I also lubed a few, and can hardly tell the difference. Still debating if I bother with lube, but if I'm going to open them all up, it's not much of an extra step.
Dont bother with lubing salmon alps. if theyre clean, they should be very smooth with a pronounced tactile bump. if they feels good, dont bother opening them up, its a long process that you wont enjoy.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2979 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:32:14 »

Dont bother with lubing salmon alps. if theyre clean, they should be very smooth with a pronounced tactile bump. if they feels good, dont bother opening them up, its a long process that you wont enjoy.
Indeed! Worse, it might not even work, or make them worse D: .

Offline lunas

« Reply #2980 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 15:00:07 »
Indeed! Worse, it might not even work, or make them worse D: .

Thanks both of you for the feedback. I'll proceed without lubing. Opening the switches wasn't too bad, but it was tough applying dry lube on the couple I tested. I'll save the extra work for only problem switches if any. Looking forward to getting these soldered and tested on a clean board.
Pok3r Whitefox

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2981 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 16:34:06 »
Packard Bell typing test :)
Damn squeaky chair lol.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2982 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 19:27:14 »
Packard Bell typing test :)
Damn squeaky chair lol.
Hmmm, blue Alps typing, delicious ^^ .

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2983 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:11:19 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:30 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2984 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 23:54:46 »
Yea they can. The way to tell is to look at the back label and see if there is a S in a little box in the bottom right corner. 95's can have SKCM White Damp.

Why would you buy a AEK from Taobao? There common enough on ebay.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2985 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 00:17:42 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:25 by alienman82 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2986 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 05:41:15 »
Yea they can. The way to tell is to look at the back label and see if there is a S in a little box in the bottom right corner. 95's can have SKCM White Damp.

Why would you buy a AEK from Taobao? There common enough on ebay.

I have a huge order $2000 or so, and it was cheap enough.
wat

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2987 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 07:20:04 »

wasn't aware that an AEK2 could come with salmons. 

The mark with the "S" is not reliable at all.

I believe that it is accurate to say that most but not all 1989 copyrights have salmon, most or all 1990 copyrights have dampened cream, and most or all 1995 copyrights have dampened white.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2988 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:00:58 »
I am interested in getting a magnavox videowriter board to harvest for switches. There seems to be 2 versions, but only 1 variant seems to have SKCM Browns.
This one:

And this one

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2989 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:09:49 »
Top one can come with brown switches. Refer to https://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/redmaus-selling-thread-t10392.html

Offline E3E

« Reply #2990 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:10:47 »
I am interested in getting a magnavox videowriter board to harvest for switches. There seems to be 2 versions, but only 1 variant seems to have SKCM Browns.
This one:
Show Image

And this one
Show Image

From my observation and understanding: If you see LED windows/cut outs on any of the caps, stay away. Those are mitsumis.

The one without LEDs is SKCM Brown as far as I have seen.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2991 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:22:14 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:02 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2992 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:23:22 »
there is one of those on taobao not sure if in stock though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeh I saw it, its a bit much though with proxy fees and shipping and all that ****. I think the asking price is like 45$

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2993 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:26:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:17:59 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2994 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:27:50 »
there is one of those on taobao not sure if in stock though

yeh I saw it, its a bit much though with proxy fees and shipping and all that ****. I think the asking price is like 45$

I'd have gotten it if i didn't have something better coming ^-^

I must know

Offline E3E

« Reply #2995 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:29:51 »
I must know

Spolier: It's mainly Cherry.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2996 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:30:05 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2997 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 10:35:36 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:17:54 by alienman82 »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2998 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 11:48:14 »
This one:
Show Image

And this one
Show Image

From my observation and understanding: If you see LED windows/cut outs on any of the caps, stay away. Those are mitsumis.

The one without LEDs is SKCM Brown as far as I have seen.

Mine came with Mitsumi but no LEDs.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline E3E

« Reply #2999 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 12:43:44 »
Damn, I thought that was the tell. Looks like it's a game of chance then.  :-\