Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458535 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3550 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 00:14:41 »
They're ABS. I used iDye Poly and a handheld strainer, dipping them into...I'd say slightly under a boil water for a few seconds at a time, pulling them out before they had a chance to begin warping. With ABS it seems the first dunk into the mixture is the most important, it saturates into the plastic predominantly on that pass I think. Subsequent dunks are mostly to make it more vibrant and hope any imperfections are corrected. They need to be squeaky clean as well, any oils or dirt on them will show up pretty clearly...I used my bare hands to drop them in after I cleaned them but I think in the future I'd probably use gloves. Overall the whole process only took a few minutes, it only takes a few plunges to get to the point of diminishing returns.

Supposedly RIT changed the formula of dyemore recently and it's no longer viable for dying caps, wonder if that's what happened to you? Grey on grey should never produce yellowish brown :p

It was pretty terrible! I went with RIT because it was a liquid formula. I was concerned a bit with even mixing with the powder-based ones, though looking back, it was probably more trivial than anything. I always used gloves and stainless ware for handling the caps and dyeing. Even bought a digital thermometer for it too!

I had to add acetone into the bath I used for the space bar I dyed for my Orion's black AT101 key cap set. It was not fun, nor easy.

Dyemore is SUPPOSED to work on plastics: it touts that it's for nylon, polyester, and acrylic, but it doesn't seem very reliable. I had heard that RIT changed their formula, but this seemed like it was purposed for plastics again so I thought it'd be fine.

Next time, I'm just going to go with iDye. It seems SO much better. Thanks for the insight, man! At least now that I know that iDye Poly is the way to go.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3551 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 03:13:31 »
Oh, now I know what you mean by dot. You have to remove the contact leaf entirely and use a toothpick or something to bend the little hammer in the center away from the assembly a bit. Don't break it off. Then blow dust into the hammer/behind it.

Thanks, that clarified it. And it seems it worked! Well, almost. The key definitely registers now, but it's flakey sometimes. Still, it's progress, and I think it'll work better once I desolder the switches, take out the switch plate and do it properly.

To all you chemists watching, do you see any issue in putting the switch plate (without contact leaf), and bottom switch casing in vinegar bath?

Offline jaffers

« Reply #3552 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 03:58:16 »
So I tuned up my SGI granite a little bit, took out the tactile/clickly leaf, lubbed them (correctly mind you, not saturated in grease like some people do) and left in the dampeners and these are some kick ass linear switches.

SGI caps (mmmm that dyesub PBT goodness) + beautiful linear alps = sex

Fantastic board, would love to do a photo shoot with it but I need to retrobright the case and spacebar still

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3553 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 04:14:07 »
I don't know for linears, but I just put SGI keycaps on SKCM oranges. I just did it for the F keys, and I don't know if it's because they are so high up, but the sound is deeply pleasant. And I mean that in a literal sense - it is some heavy bass.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3554 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 04:51:41 »
So the vinegar and denture tab bath's made a considerable difference, but it's still not there. At this point is it just bad plastic? Where do I go from here?
Here is an example of a rough spot in a slider well. The two 'white' lines.
Show Image

Wait, did you add denture tabs to the vinegar? Oo
No. I just mentioned them both since combined they made a big difference. That doesn't sound like a terrible idea imao :))
Don't combine the two :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #3555 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 08:59:53 »
I don't know for linears, but I just put SGI keycaps on SKCM oranges. I just did it for the F keys, and I don't know if it's because they are so high up, but the sound is deeply pleasant. And I mean that in a literal sense - it is some heavy bass.

The keys within the confines of the function row sound pretty great because they're immediately surrounded by the plastic of the case on almost all sides. I've noticed this too, and it is pretty glorious.

Chunky thunk.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3556 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 10:41:32 »
@Mattr567: I think what Chyros is getting at regarding his comment about not combining vinegar and denture tabs is that the two would tend to neutralize each other and produce more mineral salts in the process. The denture tabs contain an excess of base in the form of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate. They already contain some citric acid that reacts with the sodium bicarbonate to produce effervescent bubbles of carbon dioxide gas when the tabs are dropped into water. The leftover sodium carbonate is a fairly strong base that helps with the cleaning, and there is some sodium percarbonate to act as an oxidizing agent, which can whiten some stains in plastic. If you were to add vinegar (which is diluted acetic acid), this would neutralize the sodium carbonate, thus negating the cleaning action of this base and negating the potential action of the acetic acid on the white residue you are hoping to dissolve.

Regarding Wang 725-3770 keyboards, as you might know, Bob Tibbetts has some of these to sell that are NIB. I bought one from him a few years ago. At that time, I think his price was $150 plus UPS shipping and insurance. Being brand new, they are of course in pristine condition. Here is the link to his site:

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3557 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 18:11:15 »
@Mattr567: I think what Chyros is getting at regarding his comment about not combining vinegar and denture tabs is that the two would tend to neutralize each other and produce more mineral salts in the process. The denture tabs contain an excess of base in the form of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate. They already contain some citric acid that reacts with the sodium bicarbonate to produce effervescent bubbles of carbon dioxide gas when the tabs are dropped into water. The leftover sodium carbonate is a fairly strong base that helps with the cleaning, and there is some sodium percarbonate to act as an oxidizing agent, which can whiten some stains in plastic. If you were to add vinegar (which is diluted acetic acid), this would neutralize the sodium carbonate, thus negating the cleaning action of this base and negating the potential action of the acetic acid on the white residue you are hoping to dissolve.

Regarding Wang 725-3770 keyboards, as you might know, Bob Tibbetts has some of these to sell that are NIB. I bought one from him a few years ago. At that time, I think his price was $150 plus UPS shipping and insurance. Being brand new, they are of course in pristine condition. Here is the link to his site:

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/
Oh, I see. being chemists you guys must know what your talking about :p

Those Wang's are too expensive and they come with SKCM Black's. The one I was looking at likely has Oranges (if not Salmons) and the guy wanted $60 but I got him down to $40. Until of course he decided he wouldn't ship :( I'll have to find another full size to SKCL Green swap. Also going to try to use the hot water method for those switch tops. Hope that works and I can get them back to proper condition. If anyone has any SKCL top housings laying around ill gladly pay for them.
Oh, now I know what you mean by dot. You have to remove the contact leaf entirely and use a toothpick or something to bend the little hammer in the center away from the assembly a bit. Don't break it off. Then blow dust into the hammer/behind it.

Thanks, that clarified it. And it seems it worked! Well, almost. The key definitely registers now, but it's flakey sometimes. Still, it's progress, and I think it'll work better once I desolder the switches, take out the switch plate and do it properly.

To all you chemists watching, do you see any issue in putting the switch plate (without contact leaf), and bottom switch casing in vinegar bath?

Hmm. My SKCM Blue has been working consistently for a while now. Maybe some more air or bending. Otherwise that could work.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3558 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 18:19:29 »
I was just back and forth with him within the past few weeks and he's lowered the price on those Wangs to $125, still pricey IMO.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3559 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 18:54:33 »
I suppose the Wangs seem pricey, but they are NIB, and the caps are dye-sub PBT. Some of the mods are non-standard sizes, but they get used in the Kingsaver custom Alps boards. Take a look at this post from CPTBadAss, exhibiting his Kingsaver with blue Alps:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58776.0

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3560 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:18:14 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3561 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:20:47 »
Whats this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232073377873
Whatever it is Ill be willing to throw a bid at it if noone else wants it.

On the subject of mystery boards, the laptop I bought awhile back had thick alps made doubleshots with a really strange uniform profile and skfl metal top switches.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3562 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:22:56 »

On the subject of mystery boards, the laptop I bought awhile back had thick alps made doubleshots with a really strange uniform profile and skfl metal top switches.
Ooh, neat, those keycaps could definitely be handy for a future project :thumb:

Whats this?
My gut feeling is linear Alps or some sort of a rubber dome. Seems unlikely that it's an early Topre board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 20:25:27 by Wingpad »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3563 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 21:49:11 »
Yea maybe SKCL Yellow or something but that LED in the caps key being in a weird position gives it away it might not be.

BTW does anyone have any SKCM Brown or Green they'd be willing to trade/sell to me? Been looking for a while and i've come up empty. Really want some. Even considered trading my beloved Packard Bell T9102 w/ SKCM Blue for one of E3E's Xerox's or something but I realized in the long run i'd be losing something huge and rare i'd never be able to find again. Plus he would kill me if I took a solder iron anywhere near it :P

Using it right now actually now that I have my 6ft PS/2 extension cable. Before it could barely reach and it was starting to mess up the cable a bit.

One day.....
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 September 2016, 21:52:58 by Mattr567 »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3564 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 08:51:58 »
To anyone who has tried them both, is there a difference in color of mod keycaps between beige and granite SGI bigfoots? I can't tell from pics online as white balance is an issue, so on some pics, granite mods look quite different in color than those that I have.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3565 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 08:59:36 »
To anyone who has tried them both, is there a difference in color of mod keycaps between beige and granite SGI bigfoots? I can't tell from pics online as white balance is an issue, so on some pics, granite mods look quite different in color than those that I have.

I have the beige set and yes, there is a difference. Granites are more of a grey color, I think quite grey, but I've never owned a Granite. The beige set is ugly because the plastic has this reddish hue. I'm not a fan at all, but then I guess I'm not the biggest fan of the SGI caps because of the font anyway.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3566 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 09:04:45 »
I have a Granite set, and I can attest to the mods being a rather cold gray, which I do not like. Given that I generally prefer warmer colors, if the Beige SGI has mods with a red hue, I would probably like these better.

E3E, I certainly agree with you about the font. I don't like an Italic or Oblique font on keycaps. This is unfortunate, because some of the best-quality dye-sub PBT Alps-mount keycaps are to be found on various SGI and Apple boards, which use an Italic or Oblique font, respectively.

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 September 2016, 09:17:08 by Hypersphere »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3567 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 09:12:09 »
Yes, mine are quite cold gray / bluish in hue. I like how they look by themselves actually, but they are quite hard to match with beige boards, especially if they are even just a bit yellowed and have that warm tone.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3568 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 09:34:56 »
I have a Granite set, and I can attest to the mods being a rather cold gray, which I do not like. Given that I generally prefer warmer colors, if the Beige SGI has mods with a red hue, I would probably like these better.

E3E, I certainly agree with you about the font. I don't like an Italic or Oblique font on keycaps. This is unfortunate, because some of the best-quality dye-sub PBT Alps-mount keycaps are to be found on various SGI and Apple boards, which use an Italic or Oblique font, respectively.

Would you ever consider trading, Hypersphere? I've got a beige set and I've been curious about the Granite set myself. I prefer cooler colors, so I'm pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum.

The chinese PBT caps I have on my Orion are the whitest caps I've ever seen that have been Alps mount. The next closest I've seen would be the Multistation PBT cylindricals, and the DocuTech caps, but both aren't as neutral as these. As an example, the closest space bar I found that matches the color is from an Acer 6011, but its hue of white makes it look slightly yellowed compared to the Chinese caps.

I'm curious to see how Granites might compare as far as the alphas go. They seem like they'll be a bit more grey from what I can tell, but white balance makes judging by photos a bit unreliable.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 September 2016, 09:38:28 by E3E »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3569 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 10:12:14 »
@E3E: Might be interested. PM sent.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3570 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 10:43:41 »
It would be useful for the rest of us (read: me :)) if anyone of you two had both set of keycaps in possession at the same time to take some comparison pics  ;D

Offline E3E

« Reply #3571 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 10:48:52 »
It would be useful for the rest of us (read: me :)) if anyone of you two had both set of keycaps in possession at the same time to take some comparison pics  ;D

I actually have a partial set beyond the one I'm trying to trade with, so I could take comparison shots of the alphas and mods if Hypersphere agrees to the trade. :)

My beige set is very mint and has no shine at all, so it's a good set to use! I just don't have the space bar since I used it in a dyeing test. I don't need the space bar in return from HS, so if he's okay with just trading the caps sans the space bar, then we'd be good.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3572 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 12:36:29 »

My pictures are pretty terrible, but this gives you a good idea of the differing shades between various PBT sets.

The top photo is: SGI beige, Chinese uniform PBT cap

The bottom is: SGI Beige, AT101, IBM 5140, Chinese PBT, then Chinese PBT, SGI, AT101, IBM 5140.

Not compared are the AEK caps, IBM Multistation PBT, DocuTech, early Xerox 6085, and IBM P70 caps, but the Chinese caps are the whitest, more so than even Acer's ABS caps for the 6011.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 September 2016, 12:44:15 by E3E »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3573 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 12:49:02 »
Great refrerence, thanks! Can you do the same with mods, where they differ from alphas?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3574 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 14:24:46 »
That Chinese set of yours is certainly handsome. I wonder what accounts for the degree of whiteness? Perhaps their formulation included some white pigment, such as Titanium Dioxide.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3575 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 16:06:39 »
Is it possible to dye Alps sliders?

It would be a fun thing to do if you modify your switches. Would like to mod White Alps and make them purple. Zealpios!

Offline E3E

« Reply #3576 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 17:43:31 »
Great refrerence, thanks! Can you do the same with mods, where they differ from alphas?

Thanks! Yeah, I'll get a shot of the modifiers set up soon!

That Chinese set of yours is certainly handsome. I wonder what accounts for the degree of whiteness? Perhaps their formulation included some white pigment, such as Titanium Dioxide.

Thanks, Hypersphere. I really like the set too. Is PBT a translucent color when it's raw? If so then it'd have to be something along your lines of thought.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3577 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 19:11:19 »
Won the mystery sony board, will update when I get it.
I also won another white alps board, with a really strange layout and a touchpad. fun stuff!

Offline E3E

« Reply #3578 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 19:16:30 »
I also won another white alps board, with a really strange layout and a touchpad. fun stuff!

What ever happen to that laptop someone won a while back where the guy in that one video said they were "white Alps switches"? Did that ever get documented? Give us the goods!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3579 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 19:22:50 »

What ever happen to that laptop someone won a while back where the guy in that one video said they were "white Alps switches"? Did that ever get documented? Give us the goods!
Haha posted it awhile back. They were skfls with nice thick alps made doubleshots with a really strange uniform profile.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado

Offline E3E

« Reply #3581 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 02:05:26 »

Haha posted it awhile back. They were skfls with nice thick alps made doubleshots with a really strange uniform profile.

Nice, man. At least you got some good caps out of it. Yeah, the uniform cylindrical profile is a very interesting profile that I've only really seen with Alps boards. Seen it in the Sharp PA-1000, and with these Chinese PBT caps.

Speaking of which. I recently modded the space bar off of one of the boards with the chinese PBT caps I have to be 7u, and let me tell you, it was a pain in the ass. It took HOURS, but because of the matching profile and white color, it feels like it was worth it.

WIP shots

All you can see is a slight scar from the procedure to the very right. It came out very well, I think!

This is the WIP bar next to the Acer space bar I was using. The lighting makes it hard to tell, but the Acer bar looks yellowed compared to this bar, and it has awful texture in comparison. I was happy to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 02:12:21 by E3E »

Offline E3E

« Reply #3582 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 03:30:42 »
Late night and I'm having fun, aka doing keyboard projects in zombie mode.  :confused:

I received the Chinese PBT boards in a trade, and some of them had broken key caps. Luckily, even though the stuff I'm using doesn't chemically bond to PBT, it can still repair the stems well enough to use.

So I modded the stem on the 1.75u Alt key that broke off to be off-set so I could put it on my Orion in the Caps Lock position.

Really, just for fun, but at least broken stems can be fixed!

Sorry, I know I'm posting too much. :P I should head to bed soon.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3583 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:01:15 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Tellervision-clicky-Keyboard-Model-No-GP101CB-Ver-3-1-/331962089019?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=w6bkSV2vH4ZY9V%252FKBcp2XsyX9qA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Here is the other board I won, looks like a cool thing to cut into a 60% with a strange bottom row.
If these caps are double-shot, I would want to track one down for just that as well. Particularly because these caps could go onto a funky, RedScarf-esque layout I wanted to try building.

@E3E That's coming along quite nicely, I think the 7u modifications were probably worth it Also, did you happen to get a model number or any other identifying information about the board that you sourced those caps from? Do you have any pictures of it before you harvested the caps? I can't remember if you told us or not.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3584 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:17:24 »
@E3E That's exactly what I want to do. Can you share some more info on the stuff you used?

I want to move a stem on stepped caps lock keycap to fit on a board with non-stepped caps lock key position. I was worried about cleanly cutting the stem in the first place as I was hoping to reuse it, but also there's an option to sacrifice another keycap, cut it completely, and then gain access to the stem. Now I don't know if I can take ABS stem and glue it to PBS keycap, and if I can do it with "plain" two-component epoxy that I have. Any help is appreciated.

Completely unrelated, that NeXT board I got, it has SKCM Creams  :thumb:  It's still not in my posession, but soon enough.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3585 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 07:48:17 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Tellervision-clicky-Keyboard-Model-No-GP101CB-Ver-3-1-/331962089019?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=w6bkSV2vH4ZY9V%252FKBcp2XsyX9qA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Here is the other board I won, looks like a cool thing to cut into a 60% with a strange bottom row.
If these caps are double-shot, I would want to track one down for just that as well. Particularly because these caps could go onto a funky, RedScarf-esque layout I wanted to try building.
Pretty sure theyre pad printed, I really just bought it for the switches and plate. there is another one currently on ebay for the same price from the same seller.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3586 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 10:12:14 »
@E3E That's coming along quite nicely, I think the 7u modifications were probably worth it Also, did you happen to get a model number or any other identifying information about the board that you sourced those caps from? Do you have any pictures of it before you harvested the caps? I can't remember if you told us or not.

Thanks, man. Definitely feels pretty awesome to have modded a space bar to the point of functioning like an actual 7u Alps made space bar and retaining all of the texture on the top surface. It was painstaking but I'm happy with it!

It's a very obscure keyboard, but it's some kind of Alps integrated dome keyboard.

Here's the one with the caps I need to fix.

These are the only identifying features on the PCB, sadly.

@E3E That's exactly what I want to do. Can you share some more info on the stuff you used?

I want to move a stem on stepped caps lock keycap to fit on a board with non-stepped caps lock key position. I was worried about cleanly cutting the stem in the first place as I was hoping to reuse it, but also there's an option to sacrifice another keycap, cut it completely, and then gain access to the stem. Now I don't know if I can take ABS stem and glue it to PBS keycap, and if I can do it with "plain" two-component epoxy that I have. Any help is appreciated.

Completely unrelated, that NeXT board I got, it has SKCM Creams  :thumb:  It's still not in my posession, but soon enough.

Hmmm, how to snap it off clean? Use something to get a good grip on it and snap it off. Alps stems are feeble little things.  :( When I did stem swaps though, I usually sacrificed another Alps key cap, but that's because I was mainly doing Cherry to Alps mods. Now, for my space bar, I used a space bar with the same profile that was grey so I could make sure the angles were perfect.

You can indeed glue an ABS stem to PBT. That's what I did for the space bar of my Hammer Alps 60% when converting it from Cherry to Alps. I used Loctite Ultra Control Gel for that job, but...

I'd recommend this stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Plast-aid-80400-Plastic-Repair-6-Ounce/dp/B004DFHSM6

You can get the smaller 1.5 ounce kit for about half that price, but I'd say get the big one. Also buy a glass dropper to apply the liquid to the resin powder more precisely.

Here are some reasons why this is better than epoxy or gel super glue for this purpose:

• You can use more or less resin to give more build to what you're working with. In other words, you can use it to make up for lost material or a stem that is not exactly flush if need be.
• It has a number of consistencies to work with. It starts off liquid, turns paste-like as it dries, finally more putty like, then fully hardens. You can control this and extend the drying time depending on how much liquid you add to the mix. It can set in as little as 5 minutes up to 15 or more depending on the ratio.
• It chemically bonds with things like acrylic and styrene/ABS and makes an incredibly strong joint. Otherwise, use more resin to make a strong mechanical bond. That's what I had to do with PBT since it does not react with PBT at all, like most things.

The only downside to trying to use an ABS stem with PBT is that you'll kind of be bonding the stuff to the ABS but not the PBT, so if you need to fix or rearrange it, it could be a little annoying.If this stuff gets on anything that it chemically bonds with, it's going to leave a mark, so make sure it's not on your hands when you're touching ABS caps.

Overall, the stuff is excellent. A thick epoxy would probably work too, but it takes ages to set, and even the 5 minute stuff takes a while (it feels soft for a good while after 5 minutes), in my experience. This has more benefits.

Also, let us know how you like the Creams. :)

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 September 2016, 10:29:46 by E3E »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3587 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 10:34:37 »
Thanks, man. Definitely feels pretty awesome to have modded a space bar to the point of functioning like an actual 7u Alps made space bar and retaining all of the texture on the top surface. It was painstaking but I'm happy with it!

It's a very obscure keyboard, but it's some kind of Alps integrated dome keyboard.
Hmm, it's a shame there's so little information about it. Perhaps we'll find an intact specimen at some point or another. It's definitely an interesting board.

Whats this?

When I saw this board, I remembered seeing it somewhere before but couldn't place it. Today I found it on Taobao again and, unfortunately, it seems like it's a membrane keyboard. Here are some pictures:

Perhaps you might still get something more interesting but I just thought I'd share.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3588 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 11:53:02 »

Hmm, it's a shame there's so little information about it. Perhaps we'll find an intact specimen at some point or another. It's definitely an interesting board.

Whats this?

When I saw this board, I remembered seeing it somewhere before but couldn't place it. Today I found it on Taobao again and, unfortunately, it seems like it's a membrane keyboard. Here are some pictures:
Show Image

Show Image

Perhaps you might still get something more interesting but I just thought I'd share.
if it is domes, they still may have alps compatible keycaps, alot of dome with slider switches used alps stems.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3589 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 12:10:45 »
Well, on the pic with the caps off, it looks like they're just normal domes. However, it's too fuzzy to tell. They might be Alps integrated domes with round sliders, but I don't know, to be honest.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3590 on: Wed, 14 September 2016, 12:53:04 »
@E3E thanks on all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes once I find some spare keycaps to work with.

Offline atrere

« Reply #3591 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 01:08:46 »
After spending a lot of time with Cherrys and buckling springs, I recently put together my first Alps board, an Alps64 in AEK layout, and I have to say...
I get the hype about Alps now.
For a while, I thought Alps were crap, but it turned out the board I had with Alps sliders in the closet was a very terrible clone (Taiwanese Siig Minitouch), and I ended up ordering Orihalcon's Alps sampler pack, and was a bit blown away by the quality of the individual switches. It also gave me a nice sample set to figure out what I would want in an Alps keyboard.
It's my first 60%, and it's got orange switches with damped white sliders. This was done with the goal of making it as silent as a mechanical keyboard could possibly be, but I ran into a problem in that many of the switches produced a click on the upstroke, despite having tactile leaves and damped sliders. It appears that for some reason (perhaps metal fatigue and general wear?) that tactile leaves can deform slightly, in a way that I did not find visually distinct, to become inconsistently clicky.
The solution I used was extremely low-tech >.>
I cut out pieces of paper the width and twice the height of the tactile leaves, folded them down, and inserted them behind the leaves, which completely removed the upstroke click. A single layer of graph paper was not enough, but with the fold, it was enough. There's still the problem of the spacebar stabilizer, but I'm not sure I want to silence that. It provides a bit of aural punctuation.
(Also, both capslock and Right-Super (which is an FN layer) are lock switches. For some reason, a locking FN layer is the coolest thing to me. Turns WASD into arrows, QE into PgUp and PgDn, -+ into volume controls, P into play/pause, and <> to previous and next track. Everything I need for writing, really.)

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3592 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 01:11:43 »
The solution I used was extremely low-tech >.>
I cut out pieces of paper the width and twice the height of the tactile leaves, folded them down, and inserted them behind the leaves, which completely removed the upstroke click. A single layer of graph paper was not enough, but with the fold, it was enough. There's still the problem of the spacebar stabilizer, but I'm not sure I want to silence that. It provides a bit of aural punctuation.
This is actually really good information, I know what I'm going to try on the handful of switches on my AT101W that have an upstroke click :D

Welcome to the club, I'm glad you understand the Alps hype now. The "I thought Alps were crap" bit made me cringe but I'm willing to look past it, haha.

EDIT: I just tried this and it works, Thanks!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 September 2016, 01:19:19 by Wingpad »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3593 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 07:00:20 »
The "I thought Alps were crap" bit made me cringe but I'm willing to look past it, haha.
It's always like that :p . Either they haven't tried them, or they tried a crappy board :p . Of course there are people who genuinely don't like Alps even in great condition, but I've found an overwhelming majority of people who are exposed to them get hooked immediately. And for many of them, there's so much more out them to blow them away even more! :D
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3594 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 10:11:31 »
Lol, I suppose that's a valid point. In hindsight, my first AT101W was in crappy condition but it was enough to get me interested.

Also, I could post this in the market but this seems like the more appropriate place, does anyone have two or three extra SKCM Brown switches? I'm planning to put together a 60% and would like a few extra switches for the Windows keys. I would be happy to pay for any switches people could offer up, thanks! Already sent a few PMs out about this but haven't turned anything up yet :(

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3595 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 12:42:00 »
Massive shout out to itzmeluigi for the completely free (shipping included) SGI Granite w/ out any caps! Its a PS/2 model w/ White Damp Alps and is yellow free. Works perfect. PM'd me out of the blue. Been wanting to dive back into the world of Dampened Alps.

Man this community is so awesome :D

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3596 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 13:19:53 »
Interesting juxtaposition of events. I just finished bringing a Granite SGI keyboard (model 9500900) out of storage to pull and clean the caps. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the switches are damped white Alps, and I am considering putting it into active use in my keyboard rotation.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3597 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 14:49:42 »
Just got the tellervision board today, its SKBM Whites -_-
****ty pad printed yellowed abs caps too. wasnt worth the money honestly.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3598 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 15:10:23 »
Alps boards are full of surprises. When I took a closer look at the caps on my SGI Granite 9500900 today, I discovered that the font was thinner than that pictured on an SGI Granite 041-0136-001, and the shade of the caps appears to be a "warm" gray rather than a "cold" gray.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3599 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 15:14:33 »
Jeez, that's really weird. SGI caps seem to have a lot of variations. I don't even know where my reddish hued ones fall into. Like you mentioned to me, Hypersphere, one of my sets, the partial set, has thinner legends, while my complete set has bold legends.

I think it'd be a good idea to document all these variants, but photos aren't a reliable way to really measure the differences unless there's a good control.