Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458492 times)

Offline menuhin

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread - ALPS SKCM Dampened Cream
« Reply #4200 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 07:04:32 »
Hi the ALPS people here!

I've just realized that the best switches I've tried on a keyboard are the ALPS SKCM Dampened Cream switches.
I've heard the feels of Matias Quiet-Click may be able to resemble these dampened cream switches. Is it really so? And how similar are they?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4201 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 07:31:13 »
I'm considering picking up a Wang 725-3770 with black alps because i'm a slut who doesn't appreciate nice switches.

Is it actually a decent quality board? NKRO or 2KRO or what?

The only info on deskthority is switches and model numbers basically, as well as a few pictures.
The Wang is built quite well. Pine black Alps are nothing like the later bamboo ones, they're quite nice switches really.

Relevant reviews:
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4202 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 07:51:18 »
Pine blacks are pretty nice. I don't know if it has those. I only have bamboo blacks in one board, and that's a really well kept AT101W, and they are pretty shallow, kind of like what some here described salmons to be, but maybe a bit more scratchy, or lets say "noisy" under the finger.
Salmons have a nice defined tactile bump, theyre not as much of a "bumpy road" as the black I tried. I belive the black I tried was a bamboo black, so not sure if that changes anything. In my experience I would say that salmons are more related to oranges.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4203 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 07:55:32 »
Hi the ALPS people here!

I've just realized that the best switches I've tried on a keyboard are the ALPS SKCM Dampened Cream switches.
I've heard the feels of Matias Quiet-Click may be able to resemble these dampened cream switches. Is it really so? And how similar are they?
Matias switches as a general rule arent as good as vintage alps. I have tried both and prefer the creams, even though I didnt like either that much. I much prefer dampened whites to dampened creams or matias QC. Matias switches are based on the later simplified alps design, where as the creams use the complicated switchplate design. Also, matias have alot of wobble compared to vintage alps, which doesnt really mean anything, but still is worth mentioning.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4204 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 08:14:30 »
Pine blacks are pretty nice. I don't know if it has those. I only have bamboo blacks in one board, and that's a really well kept AT101W, and they are pretty shallow, kind of like what some here described salmons to be, but maybe a bit more scratchy, or lets say "noisy" under the finger.
Salmons have a nice defined tactile bump, theyre not as much of a "bumpy road" as the black I tried. I belive the black I tried was a bamboo black, so not sure if that changes anything. In my experience I would say that salmons are more related to oranges.
Bamboos are completely different from pines. Pine blacks feel remarkably like salmons.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4205 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 09:05:27 »
I have been looking for a panel mount mini usb for awhile now, where did you get yours?
The panel mounts I have been using are micro-USB rather than mini-USB:

http://www.datapro.net/products/usb-micro-b-panel-mount-extension-cable-m-f.html

They have various lengths of cables. I have used either 1-ft or 2-ft, depending on the configuration of the keyboard.

These work beautifully on the Northgate Omnikey 101 with an Orihalcon/Soarer internal converter, which has a micro-USB connector. The cable on the panel-mount micro-USB connector provides plenty of strain relief to prevent damage to the converter. It turns out that the mounting holes for the panel-mount micro-USB line up perfectly with the holes that are already drilled in the case for the mini-DIN6 connector.

@menuhin: Matias switches are okay. I find the Matias Quiet switch to be more tactile than damped Alps cream. However, in general, I prefer undamped switches. To me, damping the downstroke makes the switch feel mushy. So, regarding Alps cream, I prefer undamped cream, as found in the ANSI version of the non-ADB NeXT keyboard. Likewise, among Matias switches (Click, Quiet, and Quiet Linear), I prefer the Matias Click, but they are very noisy and they wobble, which seems to add to the overall rattle of a Matias-Click board. I am considering a "top mod" of my V60MTS-C board -- I am still experimenting with which of the exchangeable Matias parts to swap with Alps parts (slider, return spring, and tactile/click leaf) in an attempt to make the Matias switches more refined.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 October 2016, 09:16:55 by Hypersphere »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4206 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 09:18:18 »
Bamboos are completely different from pines. Pine blacks feel remarkably like salmons.
I must try them then! is the tactile leaf different or is it just because of the tops?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4207 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 09:57:45 »
I must try them then! is the tactile leaf different or is it just because of the tops?
You never know with Alps xD . Watch the review though, it shows the difference quite well.

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #4208 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 11:15:34 »

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, as i'm not entirely sure how to tell which is which, but does that 1995 wang come with Bamboo or Pine? There is a shadow in the Dell video over the area you were pointing to lol. I understand it has to do with slits but I've no clue what that really means

Edit: found a post from may saying they're bamboo

I enjoyed Bamboo, as soon as i can i'll put it back on my desk instead of my Granite with dampened whites to get a feel for them again.

Also great videos, i had totally forgotten that project L was in a Wang
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 October 2016, 11:20:53 by Norman_the_Owl »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4209 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 11:28:53 »

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, as i'm not entirely sure how to tell which is which, but does that 1995 wang come with Bamboo or Pine? There is a shadow in the Dell video over the area you were pointing to lol. I understand it has to do with slits but I've no clue what that really means

Edit: found a post from may saying they're bamboo

I enjoyed Bamboo, as soon as i can i'll put it back on my desk instead of my Granite with dampened whites to get a feel for them again.

Also great videos, i had totally forgotten that project L was in a Wang
They're pine. AFAIK the Wangs never came with bamboos.

Basically pine = slits, bamboo = no slits. The pine switches are of an older variety, which with Alps almost invariably means better. The very earliest ones had especially long slits, too. MouseFan came up with the terminology.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4210 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 11:41:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:55:21 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #4211 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 13:07:49 »

Basically pine = slits, bamboo = no slits. The pine switches are of an older variety, which with Alps almost invariably means better. The very earliest ones had especially long slits, too. MouseFan came up with the terminology.

This is where I pretend to know french and say "au contraire," my friend. :b I've actually only heard of the Wangs having bamboo blacks, not pines, but I'd imagine maybe the earliest SKCM Black models had pine unless it jumped into them past the transition point.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4212 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 13:25:09 »
@alienman82: I don't like cherries. They smell and taste like benzaldehyde. ;)

@Chyros and E3E: Any idea when Wang made the transition to bamboo blacks? I have an NIB Wang that I think was made in 1995.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4213 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 13:29:31 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:50:14 by alienman82 »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4214 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 13:43:15 »
Pine is okay to eat. Bamboo is just for Pandas.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4215 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:10:31 »

This is where I pretend to know french and say "au contraire," my friend. :b I've actually only heard of the Wangs having bamboo blacks, not pines, but I'd imagine maybe the earliest SKCM Black models had pine unless it jumped into them past the transition point.
****, I must've misremembered, I think you're right.

@alienman82: I don't like cherries. They smell and taste like benzaldehyde. ;)

@Chyros and E3E: Any idea when Wang made the transition to bamboo blacks? I have an NIB Wang that I think was made in 1995.
1995 sounds very bambooey. I'd be quite surprised if you could fine a pine 1995 board.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4216 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:13:15 »
@Chyros: Dang! Guess I'll feed those 1995 Wang switches to the Pandas.

Regarding your "Clickfoot" Dell, were those pine or bamboo black Alps?

Offline graefeln

« Reply #4217 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:19:06 »
Excited to try Alps again for the first time since grade school. I have a Planck on order (hopefully November), an Alps64 on order(November), and just went in on the Infinity Ergodox earlier today (so nearly March for that one) - figure with three boards, I would try three switches.

Right now, I am thinking of trying to get some SKCM Orange for one, either SKCL Yellow or Brown for another, and maybe SKCM Cream/White for the third. Was hoping to hear some opinions though.
Normally, I love Topre and usually can't stick with anything MX for too long (I try because of all the nice caps/cases)... I do have some Zealiostotles coming.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4218 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:30:33 »
@Chyros: Dang! Guess I'll feed those 1995 Wang switches to the Pandas.

Regarding your "Clickfoot" Dell, were those pine or bamboo black Alps?
All the modified Dells were bamboo. The only pine SKCM black board I own is the old-logo one.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4219 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 19:17:53 »
So, it would seem that bamboo can indeed be palatable to non-Pandas if it has been clickified.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4220 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 19:25:44 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:49:50 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4221 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 19:38:29 »
Cleaning the SKCL Striped Amber's and the normal spacebar Amber has a black switchplate while the striped's all have gray. Interesting.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4222 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:02:26 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4223 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:07:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:49:37 by alienman82 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4225 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:10:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:49:32 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #4226 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:17:20 »
Cleaning the SKCL Striped Amber's and the normal spacebar Amber has a black switchplate while the striped's all have gray. Interesting.

I need to check mine out. I haven't gotten around to desoldering it yet

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4227 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:19:36 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:49:28 by alienman82 »

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #4228 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:19:51 »
So I am aware that the IBM PC 5140 has Brown ALPS, but are there any other notable boards with tactile Brown ALPS that I should be on the lookout for?
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4229 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:20:40 »

I need to check mine out. I haven't gotten around to desoldering it yet

don't ignore the lovely DGE
IGNORED BECAUSE JEALOUS

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4230 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:21:13 »
So I am aware that the IBM PC 5140 has Brown ALPS, but are there any other notable boards with tactile Brown ALPS that I should be on the lookout for?
Magnavox videowriter can come with brown alps as well. 2 best known sources.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4231 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 21:24:53 »

Xerox 6085 keyboard (most), Magnavox Videowriter (not guaranteed), then some even more obscure Texas Instruments keyboards (Texas Instruments OPTI 900 Model 931 VDT), and a Yamaha LK201 clone.

These latter two are almost never seen and the Xerox 6085 keyboards aren't very common either.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4232 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 22:16:04 »
A great example of yellowing thanks to the Tandem.

Also opened and cleaned all the Striped Amber's. Great condition, just a bit dusty. Also if you notice it seems the stripes were put on by hand, there not consistent verses if it was done by a machine.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4233 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 23:21:07 »

My IBM 5576-002 motherlode. Finally restored. Took weeks to get them all gleaming again, but it was worth it. These are awesome boards.

A great example of yellowing thanks to the Tandem.
Show Image

Also opened and cleaned all the Striped Amber's. Great condition, just a bit dusty. Also if you notice it seems the stripes were put on by hand, there not consistent verses if it was done by a machine.
Show Image

Oh most certainly, they were no doubt marked by hand. I feel like Striped Ambers are something we won't be seeing much of at all.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4234 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 02:09:59 »
I feel like Striped Ambers are something we won't be seeing much of at all.

Which is sad really since it's such a great switch. Hope to see more Tandem's in the future. I'm pretty sure these were a exclusive switch for Tandem.

Also it makes sense they choose Amber as the slider color. They likely had a surplus of SKCL Amber parts which explains the age discrepancy between the spacebar Amber and the Striped ones in my board. The conversation was likely: Crap, we have a special order for a custom weighted switch, what should we use? Oh, how about some of the old Amber stock. We'll mark them so we can tell them apart rather than manufacturing a whole new part just for it.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #4235 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 02:27:53 »
I've got an old apple m0116 with orange alps on. I really like the way it feels and was wondering about adapters you can buy or diy. Honestly they're really nice switches.
Biking is fun.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4236 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 02:34:47 »

Which is sad really since it's such a great switch. Hope to see more Tandem's in the future. I'm pretty sure these were a exclusive switch for Tandem.

Also it makes sense they choose Amber as the slider color. They likely had a surplus of SKCL Amber parts which explains the age discrepancy between the spacebar Amber and the Striped ones in my board. The conversation was likely: Crap, we have a special order for a custom weighted switch, what should we use? Oh, how about some of the old Amber stock. We'll mark them so we can tell them apart rather than manufacturing a whole new part just for it.

I don't know, those are a lot of assumptions to make. It's possible though. It's not exactly truly custom weighted, since SKCM Blues are the same exact weight without their click leaves (and SKCM Blue has a unique weight unless SKCM Cream is truly the same weight as advertised). If it truly was a hodge podge of SKCM Blue springs and SKCL Amber housings, then lol. I don't even.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #4237 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 13:49:18 »

Xerox 6085 keyboard (most), Magnavox Videowriter (not guaranteed), then some even more obscure Texas Instruments keyboards (Texas Instruments OPTI 900 Model 931 VDT), and a Yamaha LK201 clone.

These latter two are almost never seen and the Xerox 6085 keyboards aren't very common either.

AT&T UNIX PC7300 keyboards also had SCKM Browns, but they go for big bucks.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4238 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 14:18:21 »

I don't know, those are a lot of assumptions to make. It's possible though. It's not exactly truly custom weighted, since SKCM Blues are the same exact weight without their click leaves (and SKCM Blue has a unique weight unless SKCM Cream is truly the same weight as advertised). If it truly was a hodge podge of SKCM Blue springs and SKCL Amber housings, then lol. I don't even.
Oh yea, forgot about the Blue connection. Comparing Blue and Striped Amber springs, they aren't the same. The Amber springs resembles a Green spring more than a Blue one. I did just put a blue spring in a Amber however and they feel the exact same nonetheless! It might as well have been a hodge podge lol.

But using extra stock of Ambers to create a new switch for Tandem? Seems possible.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #4239 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 15:34:48 »
I've got an old apple m0116 with orange alps on. I really like the way it feels and was wondering about adapters you can buy or diy. Honestly they're really nice switches.

I believe Hasu sells them.  I bought one and it works great.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4240 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 15:40:48 »

AT&T UNIX PC7300 keyboards also had SCKM Browns, but they go for big bucks.

Yeah, if not for the IBM 5140s and Magnavox Videowriter boards, tactile browns would be really hard and expensive to get a hold of.

Oh yea, forgot about the Blue connection. Comparing Blue and Striped Amber springs, they aren't the same. The Amber springs resembles a Green spring more than a Blue one. I did just put a blue spring in a Amber however and they feel the exact same nonetheless! It might as well have been a hodge podge lol.

But using extra stock of Ambers to create a new switch for Tandem? Seems possible.

Yeah, the Striped Amber springs do look more like Green springs with their dull appearance. I -think- I've seen SKCM  Blues with dull springs before, but I'm not sure. Either way, SKCL Ambers themselves are not common at all, so to have a whole batch thrown together and retrofitted for a particular batch of boards... Is pretty surprising and pretty awesome, haha.

They are definitely my favorite linear along side SKCL Brown and would probably be the average favorite among a lot of people after having them try every linear Alps switch back to back since it occupies a very pleasant middle ground.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2016, 15:42:57 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4241 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 15:42:07 »
I -think- I've seen SKCM  Blues with dull springs before, but I'm not sure.
Correct, I'll be showing SKCM blues with dull springs in a few weeks ;) .

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4242 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 17:03:58 »
Does anyone here know what kind of switches and keycaps were used in the keyboard that accompanied the Leading Edge D2 computer?

151462-0

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4243 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 17:35:55 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:49:07 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4244 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 17:41:08 »
Jesus, its complete :eek:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4245 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 17:46:16 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:48:58 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4246 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 18:39:14 »
Jesus, its complete :eek:

hey!  I think I was a part of that ?!
I think so, you were early on. Memorable people I traded with are you, Chryos and E3E. I'm sure I'm missing one or two others.

This took 1.5 years to complete.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4247 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 18:44:12 »
Don't you need SKCL Grey?  :eek:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4248 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 18:57:31 »
Don't you need SKCL Grey?  :eek:
Yea, but I filled up all the available spaces (and had to make room by having the Lock on the side and taking out a clone) so it's pretty much complete.

I'm cool with it. If I ever get a hold of a Grey awesome but otherwise it's pretty damn good right now.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4249 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 18:59:29 »
Yeah, you've got most of em. :thumb: