Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458515 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4750 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 15:35:07 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:31:41 by alienman82 »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #4751 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 15:37:48 »
The China laser cutting services can do alu for a good price, but they don't have 1.2mm

Also, that is a damn good price you have on those OG dye-subs ;)

boycott china

YUGE boycott, but just sayin' Lasergist is Greek based.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4752 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 15:40:26 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:31:36 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4753 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 21:59:57 »
After using my Packard Bell T9102 again I have come to the conclusion that SKCM Blue is better than Amber. They have a balance and bassyness that cannot be competed with :p HOWEVER SKCM Amber still deserves a place on the mantle.

Also reminds me of why I love my Packard. It sits wayy flatter on the desk than any of my other keyboards, it's quite refreshing. That craigslist guy had no idea what he had, only a old computer from a company that no longer exists. He was sitting on gold :eek:

I nominate the Packard Bell T9102 to be one of the best keyboards ever made ;)
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4754 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 08:48:39 »
Which method(s) do people here use to hold the spring in place when reassembling Alps switches with the bottom switch housings and switchplates already soldered to the keyboard? The three methods I know about are the following:

A. Dab of grease on the spring nub on the slider.

B. Placing the upright spring on the bottom of the switch housing and carefully lowering the top housing with slider and leaf onto the bottom of the switch.

C. Magnet.

I have been using method (A) above, but I am concerned that the grease might eventually gum up the works.

I've seen method (B) exhibited by Chyros in one of his videos. I tried this method , but I found it too fiddly and nerve-wracking.

The magnet methods looks the most appealing. I should have tried this long ago, but I didn't have quite the right magnet readily available.

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:43:26 by Hypersphere »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4755 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:03:23 »
1) put in spring
2) put on slider
3) slide over housing

Doddle.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4756 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 13:32:36 »
1) put in spring
2) put on slider
3) slide over housing

Doddle.
When do you put in the click/tactile leaf for clicky or tactile Alps switches?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4757 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:46:35 »
I use my own version similar to Chyros's method and it works great.

A. Put in tactile leaf
B. Put in spring on the little nub
C. Put in the slider so it's sitting on the spring
D Put on top housing on halfway, align the slider in the top housing, and make sure the leaf is lined up so you don't crush it, then put it on.

The golden tool is to use tooth picks, you can use it to align the spring and slider while also using it to correct the position of the leaf if it moved out of place a bit. I find no need to use cocktail sticks like Chyros's method. I've reassembled hundreds of switches this way. Gotten quite quick at it too.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4758 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 15:07:27 »
@Mattr567: Thanks for the tips. I've been using a variant of Chyros' method this afternoon, and it is working reasonably well. It is not quite as convenient for me as the "dab of grease" method, but it keeps grease out of the switch.

For disassembly of Alps switches, I use the "Alps Trident" tool from MrBishop -- it works beautifully. To retrieve springs and click/tactile leaves, I use a magnet.

Regarding your Packard Bell T9102, perhaps you should create a separate thread dedicated to this keyboard with pics and audio clips.

It would be nice to think of some objective measures whereby we could compare the sound of various switch/keyboard combinations. For example, using standardized recording conditions, identical typing samples, and software such as Audacity we might compare audio spectra -- plots of frequency vs. dB. This might give us a way to quantify our subjective impressions of the sounds.

« Last Edit: Sat, 03 December 2016, 15:52:44 by Hypersphere »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4759 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 17:00:36 »
@Mattr567: Thanks for the tips. I've been using a variant of Chyros' method this afternoon, and it is working reasonably well. It is not quite as convenient for me as the "dab of grease" method, but it keeps grease out of the switch.

For disassembly of Alps switches, I use the "Alps Trident" tool from MrBishop -- it works beautifully. To retrieve springs and click/tactile leaves, I use a magnet.

Regarding your Packard Bell T9102, perhaps you should create a separate thread dedicated to this keyboard with pics and audio clips.

It would be nice to think of some objective measures whereby we could compare the sound of various switch/keyboard combinations. For example, using standardized recording conditions, identical typing samples, and software such as Audacity we might compare audio spectra -- plots of frequency vs. dB. This might give us a way to quantify our subjective impressions of the sounds.

You'll get faster. I would never put in grease for such a thing :eek:

Packard thread coming right up!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4760 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 17:49:15 »
1) put in spring
2) put on slider
3) slide over housing

Doddle.
When do you put in the click/tactile leaf for clicky or tactile Alps switches?
Before the spring. When you put the slider on the spring, the leaf gets pulled inward enough that you can slide the housing over it.

I find this goes really quickly for me. Besides, you should try this with Montereys or some Alps clones, you'd go barking mad xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4761 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 23:55:01 »
Aww shucks, didn't realize until now that I was nominated for best discovery for the DT Awards 2016. Feel a bit special ^-^

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4762 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 09:43:35 »
Okay, I've cobbled together a technique based on the various recommendations I've received from Alps aficionados on GH and DT. It is grease-free and works fairly well. I got my Blue Alps board (Leading Edge DC-2014) put back together yesterday with freshly cleaned switches and I am typing on it now. Thanks, guys!
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2016, 07:29:00 by Hypersphere »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4763 on: Sun, 04 December 2016, 22:43:25 »
Looks like a good deal to me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351918547561

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4764 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 02:59:21 »
It'll be interesting to see where it ends up. And they were refurbished in 2002? Man, that's a long time.

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #4765 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 13:04:12 »
Looks like a good deal to me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351918547561

Bob Tibbets has been in the game a long time it turns out.

Hardly surprising, given that his website looks like something from the wayback machine.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4766 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 09:06:00 »
After using my Packard Bell T9102 again I have come to the conclusion that SKCM Blue is better than Amber. They have a balance and bassyness that cannot be competed with :p HOWEVER SKCM Amber still deserves a place on the mantle.

Also reminds me of why I love my Packard. It sits wayy flatter on the desk than any of my other keyboards, it's quite refreshing. That craigslist guy had no idea what he had, only a old computer from a company that no longer exists. He was sitting on gold :eek:

I nominate the Packard Bell T9102 to be one of the best keyboards ever made ;)

:'(

:p

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4767 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 11:04:11 »
Aww shucks, didn't realize until now that I was nominated for best discovery for the DT Awards 2016. Feel a bit special ^-^

;)

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #4768 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 14:18:11 »
Just posting this here for Alps lovers before I sell it...my Happy Alps. Teensy and TMK offer programability. The boards finding time in my rotation are topre and Matias. I know...blasphemous. Hater dog-piling gains momentum when I disclose I sacrificed an M0116 and an AEK to get the right cap set.

HHKB-ish layout and functionality via the function key right of the spacebar (down arrow key), and the diamond cursor is highlighted in a lighter shade of blue. I like color and symmetry.

Currently I have the backspace programmed same as HHKB (above enter), and the key above it functions are the pipe \.

Matias Quiet Click keys, custom cut steel plate, PCB substrate is made with toner transfer. Caps died with Dylon.

Case is quarter sawn white oak with the USB header stress relieved against the wood.

154801-0

154803-1

154805-2

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 December 2016, 14:21:14 by mseaworthy »

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4769 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 14:30:07 »
 :eek:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4770 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 16:36:12 »
@mseaworthy: I like your custom board! Given the position of your Fn key, do you use your thumb to activate it?

Although I like Alps (and Matias) along with IBM Model F boards in my rotation, at present, most of the time I use my HHKB Pro 2, and I like the Fn to the right of the Right Shift key. However, on "standard layout" keyboards, I use the right-most key on the bottom row (usually RCtrl) as Fn. In these positions, I find it most convenient to activate Fn with the pinky.

Some would say that Topre is boring. Perhaps so, but it does provide the catastrophic collapse type of tactility that I like, yet it is subtle enough not to call undue attention to itself, enabling me to get my work done without being distracted by the keyboard.

Good luck with the sale! Someone is going to get a very handsome keyboard.

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #4771 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 17:20:50 »
@mseaworthy: I like your custom board! Given the position of your Fn key, do you use your thumb to activate it?

@Hypersphere
Thanks for the kind words.

I use right thumb, right pointer finger on this board most of the time. However, I have also mapped ESC to function as Fn when held. It's nice to have the flexibility for one-handed, left-handed use.

Offline drevyek

« Reply #4772 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 02:57:01 »
Love the board! When I had my M0116 in commission, I had my fn keys on either side of the spacebar. The super short space looks great IMO. Good luck with the sale!

What sort of PCB is that, in such a strange layout?

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #4773 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 09:36:49 »
Thanks.

@ the PCB is a sheet of copper with the traces applied through thermal transfer

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #4774 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 12:33:48 »
Swapped what SKCM Amber's I had into the Focus. The entire Alpha section and the arrow key's. The rest remain SKCM White until I can source the remaining Amber's I need :'(

The FK-3001 seems to suit them well. A unique switch for a unique keyboard. Initial impressions of SKCM Amber in a full board is good. It's an SKCM Blue with a sharper tactility, a more subtle click, and less bassyness. The Blue's are definitely a more well rounded switch however. I do love the sharpness, the way it quickly snaps down especially on bigger keys like the big ass enter. Makes as a great addition for my collection. I've been wanting to use the FK-3001 for its looks but I haven't had reason to until now :)
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That looks awesome, did you harvest them from an Apple IIc?
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4775 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 18:13:49 »
Swapped what SKCM Amber's I had into the Focus. The entire Alpha section and the arrow key's. The rest remain SKCM White until I can source the remaining Amber's I need :'(

The FK-3001 seems to suit them well. A unique switch for a unique keyboard. Initial impressions of SKCM Amber in a full board is good. It's an SKCM Blue with a sharper tactility, a more subtle click, and less bassyness. The Blue's are definitely a more well rounded switch however. I do love the sharpness, the way it quickly snaps down especially on bigger keys like the big ass enter. Makes as a great addition for my collection. I've been wanting to use the FK-3001 for its looks but I haven't had reason to until now :)
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yea. And still looking for more Amber's to fill the rest of the board :rolleyes:

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #4776 on: Wed, 07 December 2016, 20:26:01 »

Yea. And still looking for more Amber's to fill the rest of the board :rolleyes:

I guess I should join the crowd:

:p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4777 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 10:39:32 »
First Alps board.

A mix of AEK II and M0116 caps.
I've still got to get a case (blue Massdrop aluminum), program the keys, and retr0bright the space bar. There are also two 1.25u keys on the bottom I have to replace (you can see some gaps next to a couple of the bottom 1u keys).

Here is the board with only AEK caps:

More

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4778 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 10:47:24 »
apple keycap and orange switches in an interesting layout - nice first board :)

is it a custom plate and handwired? you may want to remove nylon protecting the plate and get it painted :) beware of powdercoating as after it you may need to file the switch holes depending on how thick paint layer ends up to be

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #4779 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 11:09:19 »
apple keycap and orange switches in an interesting layout - nice first board :)

is it a custom plate and handwired? you may want to remove nylon protecting the plate and get it painted :) beware of powdercoating as after it you may need to file the switch holes depending on how thick paint layer ends up to be

I believe that is a clueboard PCB

First Alps board.

Show Image

I've still got to get a case (blue Massdrop aluminum), program the keys, and retr0bright the space bar. There are also two 1.25u keys on the bottom I have to replace (you can see some gaps next to a couple of the bottom 1u keys).

More
Show Image

You are getting the Aluminium Clueboard Case? I thought that case has an integrated plate and only supports MX switches??

In anycase, nice job with the caps, it's pretty tricky to get Alps caps to fit modern layouts like this  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 December 2016, 11:11:32 by duynguyenle »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4780 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 11:14:45 »
First Alps board.

Show Image

More
Show Image

You are getting the Aluminium Clueboard Case? I thought that case has an integrated plate and only supports MX switches??

In anycase, nice job with the caps, it's pretty tricky to get Alps caps to fit modern layouts like this  :thumb:

No, the older one: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/aluminum-case-for-leopold-fc660m?mode=guest_open

Also, yeah, it was a pain. It took me months of deciding which layout to use, and which caps maker (Signature Plastics/Tai-Hao or original Alps caps). Then someone sold me an M0116 with orange switches and that solved my problems: was able to make my desired layout!
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 December 2016, 11:17:04 by romevi »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #4781 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 13:08:28 »
First Alps board.

Show Image

More
Show Image

No, the older one: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/aluminum-case-for-leopold-fc660m?mode=guest_open

Also, yeah, it was a pain. It took me months of deciding which layout to use, and which caps maker (Signature Plastics/Tai-Hao or original Alps caps). Then someone sold me an M0116 with orange switches and that solved my problems: was able to make my desired layout!

Very nice! Someone on Reddit figured out that the Varmilo 68% case and bottom row spacing works with the Apple AEK bottom row, this is probably what I will build for myself soon:

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #4782 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 14:56:31 »
First Alps board.

Show Image

More
Show Image

Very nice! Someone on Reddit figured out that the Varmilo 68% case and bottom row spacing works with the Apple AEK bottom row, this is probably what I will build for myself soon:

Show Image

I really wanted to do a clueboard, but I think that VA68 project is going to be home of my orange alps.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4783 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 17:12:54 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:29:18 by alienman82 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4784 on: Thu, 08 December 2016, 17:23:30 »
Also, big thanks to zorb. I had planned on that layout initially, but then realized some caps couldn't work with AEK II only, so for months resorted to using Tai-Hao or SP caps, which I didn't prefer for this board. Then zorb showed off his board and lent me his plate layout, so I was able to design the board I initially wanted.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4785 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 17:46:00 »
Tried capacitive buckling spring for the first time today, really good switch :eek:

Easily on par with SKCM Blue. It's amazing in a totally different way.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4786 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 18:03:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:28:56 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #4787 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 18:47:17 »
agreed.  but i think it's better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* E3E throws shade on both of you

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4788 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 19:54:45 »
Yep, it's a great switch.

Before I first tried it, I was wondering what all the ruckus was about, but now I can type on a model M, think it's nice, than go type on a model F, and when I return back to model M it just feels flat. There are are relatively cheap options in the US for getting a model F, and everyone should take advantage of it.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4789 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:03:05 »
Model F is forbidden fruit in a way. The F122 and 4704's are amazing but super expensive all said and done, and the cheaper F XT/AT have bizarro unusable layout's. Unless the power of Alps brought me one in trading

I do still enjoy the Model M, just bought one very recently as I traded my old one a couple month's ago. But the pingy slap the Model F has versus the Model M's thunk is really something.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4790 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:04:38 »
Model F is forbidden fruit in a way. The F122 and 4704's are amazing but super expensive all said and done, and the cheaper F XT/AT have bizarro unusable layout's. Unless the power of Alps brought me one in trading

I do still enjoy the Model M, just bought one very recently as I traded my old one a couple month's ago. But the pingy slap the Model F has versus the Model M's thunk is really something.
You should have bought a MF kit then! all the advantages of a model m and all the keyfeel advantages of a model f in usable layouts? sign me the **** up!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #4791 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:05:08 »
Tried capacitive buckling spring for the first time today, really good switch :o

Yeah, that is why Ellipse's Model-F Keyboards will be much sought after when he's finished production and sold them all off, to everyone that loves this type of switch.

Suspect some will sell these on Flebay for maximum profits  :thumb: .

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4792 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:09:51 »

You should have bought a MF kit then! all the advantages of a model m and all the keyfeel advantages of a model f in usable layouts? sign me the **** up!

What's that?

Tried capacitive buckling spring for the first time today, really good switch :o

Yeah, that is why Ellipse's Model-F Keyboards will be much sought after when he's finished production and sold them all off, to everyone that loves this type of switch.

Suspect some will sell these on Flebay for maximum profits  :thumb: .
Yea

Thinking about it, someone should make Model F reproduction parts that retrofit into Model M's. Saves money too.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4793 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:12:14 »
ATs are not that cheap, at least not any more. And XT layout may be unorthodox, but it doesn't take much to get used to it.

(but, let's not dwell on BS too much here, because I sense E3E is readying the pitchforks :))

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4794 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:13:00 »

What's that?

https://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/model-mf-drop-in-kit-for-converting-the-ibm-model-m-into-an-f-t15091.html?sid=07a15eca05933f52a3f1bad16ebdc28c
damn shame you missed it, probably a a once in a lifetime GB. and it was only about $225 all said and done. all you would need is a model m for donor case and keycaps.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4795 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:15:12 »

What's that?

Thinking about it, someone should make Model F reproduction parts that retrofit into Model M's. Saves money too.

Oh my. That's exactly that. Kind of. It uses custom PCB, plates and controller, with switches from real model Fs, and it's all intended to be put in M/SSK case and used with its keycaps.

If I were you, I'd run over to DT, and PM lot_lizard immediately to squeeze you in, even though GB ended a week ago. If you need someone to vouch for you, I bet all of us here would do it.

Edit: on a positive note, I think that lot_lizard will share all the design files ones everything is over, so everyone could order a PCB and controller from one of the online PCB services, and make the plates in a local metal shop. The final price would probably be quite bigger in the end, especially when you factor in a donor model F as well.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:21:03 by alh84001 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4796 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:18:05 »
That would be cool, but I can't afford to spend that on keyboards right now anyway :p Looking on ebay Model F 122's have gone as low as $100, so ill hold out for one, eventually. I still have a Model M coming I need to clean up.

Damn cool GB though.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4797 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:33:23 »
haha I guess its all perspective, I thought that that was a great price for such a kit.

Well, to get back on track I will ask my fellow alps lovers a question: What is your experience with swapping dampened sliders into normal SKCM/L switches? I have 2 boards full of dampened white alps and Im not sure what to do with them, and I also have ~150 disassembled blue alps in really ****ty condition. I was thinking of putting together some hybrid switches with the parts, but not sure how it'll turn out.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4798 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 20:47:53 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:28:54 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4799 on: Sat, 10 December 2016, 21:14:17 »
haha I guess its all perspective, I thought that that was a great price for such a kit.

Well, to get back on track I will ask my fellow alps lovers a question: What is your experience with swapping dampened sliders into normal SKCM/L switches? I have 2 boards full of dampened white alps and Im not sure what to do with them, and I also have ~150 disassembled blue alps in really ****ty condition. I was thinking of putting together some hybrid switches with the parts, but not sure how it'll turn out.

Yea it's still a good deal, just not the right time for me :p

Still have a awesome Model M coming to me. Green alpha sublegends + industrial case?! :eek: