Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458491 times)

Offline Mattr567

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4850 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 22:31:40 »
Dug up this photo the Taobao proxy service took. More graphic than the pictures I took even. The dirt is glued onto the slider!
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline menuhin

« Reply #4851 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 11:46:32 »
Dug up this photo the Taobao proxy service took. More graphic than the pictures I took even. The dirt is glued onto the slider!
Show Image

You got it from a TaoBao proxy?!?  :eek:
I may be getting something in a similar condition then.  :-X
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4852 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 11:52:28 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:27 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4853 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 12:33:01 »
Show Image

You got it from a TaoBao proxy?!?  :eek:
I may be getting something in a similar condition then.  :-X

Well it was only $7. I knew it was in bad condition. He had other SKCM Blue boards but they were more money. Now there in great condition thanks to Ultrasonic.

It's hit or miss.  I've actually had my alps boards in good shape, and my cherry boards in bad shape.  Just don't buy anything that's too expensive can be risky

Show Image

That's a model M clone right?  I want to get one eventually it's just too strange not to have

Yea, what's left of one. They're interesting boards for sure, the caps are rather thin though. Either pad printed or dyesubbed. I still have the caps from that board. Mine are dyesubbed,

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4854 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:13:23 »
Just pulled  the wang back out today, forgot how much I loved this thing. With the clicker all the way up it feels like you're typing on a oldschool typewriter. Have to switch up boards sometimes, or one will get stale.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4855 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:19:08 »
Show Image

That's a model M clone right?  I want to get one eventually it's just too strange not to have

Yea, what's left of one. They're interesting boards for sure, the caps are rather thin though. Either pad printed or dyesubbed. I still have the caps from that board. Mine are dyesubbed,
The Model M clone I got from the same taobao seller looked quite different from yours and didn't quite fit in an normal model M case. However. it had the same strange keycaps. Mine were definitely pad printed ABS and showed it, as  many of them were super shiny and had some legends worn off.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #4856 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 22:47:55 »

Now if I could get more SKCM Amber's to complete the board :))

Also put together all the SKCL Yellow's today. Will start the SKCM Blue's soon. SKCL Green's after of course :p

What do you plan on using the SKCL Greens for? :)

Selling all of it. Need the money for SKCM Amber's and other stuff. I'm thinking about swapping the V60 with SKCM Blue though. Would need to take picture's of my hand wiring setup, and be careful. Then I would sell off it's SKCL Green's.

May or may not happen though.

Can't wait for your sale, I might get something if shipping allows :p

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4857 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 00:54:49 »

Also put together all the SKCL Yellow's today. Will start the SKCM Blue's soon. SKCL Green's after of course :p

Selling all of it. Need the money for SKCM Amber's and other stuff. I'm thinking about swapping the V60 with SKCM Blue though. Would need to take picture's of my hand wiring setup, and be careful. Then I would sell off it's SKCL Green's.

Well it's going to be 100+ each of SKCL Green, Yellow and SKCM Blue among some other things like some MX Blue's I have laying around from a former G80-11800 swap.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #4858 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 05:28:35 »

Well it's going to be 100+ each of SKCL Green, Yellow and SKCM Blue among some other things like some MX Blue's I have laying around from a former G80-11800 swap.

Ooh exciting! I'd love to get some more blue switches for my next build!  ;D
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #4859 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 07:35:57 »
I forgot I needed those SKCL Yellows :0
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4860 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 04:45:56 »
Just a quick question. Which is the most affordable way to get an alps board in this day and age? I would put a new controller in an old ADB board which seems like it would be too expensive.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #4861 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 11:47:03 »
Just a quick question. Which is the most affordable way to get an alps board in this day and age? I would put a new controller in an old ADB board which seems like it would be too expensive.

AEKs go for $30-50, adding in a Pro Micro (they're dirt cheap) and that's as affordable as you get really. You could also try scrouging the fleabay or local recycling centres for Dell AT101Ws, they tend to be pretty common too.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4862 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 11:48:29 »
Focus 2001, dell at101w and the apple AEK/AEKII are great places to start. all can be had for under 50$.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4863 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 11:55:25 »
AEK I is somewhat rare in Europe, so it might be a bit more, especially if it has orange switches.

Offline dante

« Reply #4864 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 12:22:22 »
For AEK's I suggest looking up Computer Clubs / Vintage Retro fairs.  One year someone was selling AEK 2's for a buck a piece.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4865 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 15:26:05 »
About to build my first alps board... MiniVan w/ Salmon alps. Anything i should do before starting? Clean/lube/swap with the matias quiet clicks?

-Dana

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4866 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 15:32:57 »
About to build my first alps board... MiniVan w/ Salmon alps. Anything i should do before starting? Clean/lube/swap with the matias quiet clicks?

Show Image

If theyre already clean dont bother. As for swapping with quiet clicks, the salmons are far superior switches IMO, stick with them if theyre reasonably clean. The main determining factor in whether alps switches are good or not is the condition that they are in.

Also, good taste in wrist rests. I have the same one, however it is the TKL sized version.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #4867 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 18:20:19 »

Show Image

If theyre already clean dont bother. As for swapping with quiet clicks, the salmons are far superior switches IMO, stick with them if theyre reasonably clean. The main determining factor in whether alps switches are good or not is the condition that they are in.

Also, good taste in wrist rests. I have the same one, however it is the TKL sized version.

I disassembled them and cleaned them to the best of my abilities. DataVac-ed (its actually a blower, not a vacuum) the tops and bases first then used distilled water and denture tabs with tops and sliders. I think i need an ultrasonic cleaner at this rate.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4868 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 19:50:23 »

Show Image

Yeah i meant more like if i should take something from the quiet clicks and swap it into the salmons... Its not that the matias switches arent good, i just like these salmon/brown/amber ones better.

Yeah i have the 60% and the 100% pads. I do love them but i tend to catch my watch band on the corner of them and its wearing chunks out of the one at work. I considered a nice home-made wood one but I think these are perfect and i'll just keep replacing them as they wear out.

Show Image

I disassembled them and cleaned them to the best of my abilities. DataVac-ed (its actually a blower, not a vacuum) the tops and bases first then used distilled water and denture tabs with tops and sliders. I think i need an ultrasonic cleaner at this rate.

Yeah they all seem to be in great condition - I decided that I was going to just use the best of the bunch and do this minivan instead of the V80. Regardless, thanks for these switches - they're awesome!
-Dana

Offline Dokyun

« Reply #4869 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 12:41:04 »

https://www.elecshopper.com/dell-at101w-keyboard.html

$25 from a trusted vendor, infinitely moddable and no need to buy a microcontroller.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4870 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 13:47:59 »
well i've already managed to rip a cap post off.. first time fitting a cap and apparently they're not meant to be pushed down till flush? And now i'm sitting here picking it apart to try and get the stem bit out of the cap. this is dumb.  >:D
-Dana

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #4871 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 14:06:03 »
I was toying with my lightcycle caps too and the stem is really tight on my orange alps. Need to be careful with these.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4872 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 14:07:33 »
DSA alps caps are notoriously really tight on the stems, and IMO really low quality.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4873 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 14:10:59 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:11 by alienman82 »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4874 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 14:33:14 »
you should be able to pop that out and epoxy it

I was toying with my lightcycle caps too and the stem is really tight on my orange alps. Need to be careful with these.

i had to go at it with a pair of pliers and awl  to get it out of the switch... really really soft plastic on these. I also see that the grey "shot" did not adhere to the teal "shot" so its a VERY weak stem. I think these are a press on and leave kinda set unfortunately.  :rolleyes:
Luckily i didnt use an alpha to test so i'll be ok. I'm definitely adding some lube to these caps though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 December 2016, 14:36:25 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4875 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 17:43:47 »
Ah, the innocence of youth... I, too, fondly remember the days before I realized buckling springs made all other switches unnecessary. (They don't have all the pretty colors, though, I'll give you that.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4876 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:14:24 »
Ah, the innocence of youth... I, too, fondly remember the days before I realized buckling springs made all other switches unnecessary. (They don't have all the pretty colors, though, I'll give you that.)

Membrane or Capacitive? Membrane is pretty equal to Alps in general.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4877 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:15:47 »

membrane bs < cream alps = ergo clears  < capacitive BS

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4878 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:34:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:09 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4879 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:34:44 »

topre > your ****ty ass board
we both know that is a big fat lie

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4880 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:37:22 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:07 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4881 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:37:49 »

we both know that is a big fat lie

no
k

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4882 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:44:53 »

wut r a ass board 8)
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4883 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 19:50:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:05 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4884 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 20:09:36 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4885 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 20:10:44 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:04 by alienman82 »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4886 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 20:14:45 »
I tried Salmon Alps at the UK meet... I need to get me a Salmon Alps board...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4887 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 20:17:39 »
Yeah, salmons are really nice switches, if you dont mind the occasional upstroke click. Easily the nicest production board that comes with salmons would be the wang 725 series.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4888 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 20:34:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:02 by alienman82 »

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #4889 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 22:52:58 »

Show Image

Jesus christ I need the van

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #4890 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 22:57:30 »
This is me with blues... Also, I can't seem to remember the salmon board, hmm...

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #4891 on: Sun, 25 December 2016, 22:58:16 »
Does anyone know what switches these are specifically? How are they if anyone has tried them?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1004

My guess is they are the TaiHai APC series but I have no idea to be certain. If this is true then they are quite similar to the type OA2 clones?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4892 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 07:45:52 »
Finally finished the van... It came out pretty good i think. Only 5 switch swaps to get a perfect board so thats not too bad for vintage switches. Still trying to figure all the layers on this thing.
-Dana

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #4893 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 11:17:55 »

Finally finished the van... It came out pretty good i think. Only 5 switch swaps to get a perfect board so thats not too bad for vintage switches. Still trying to figure all the layers on this thing.
More
Show Image

Lookin good! Did lubing the keycap stems help?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #4894 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 11:18:02 »
Oops, double post
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 December 2016, 11:20:09 by MandrewDavis »

My Classifieds Thread

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4895 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 11:28:28 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:00 by alienman82 »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4896 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 12:29:35 »

More
Show Image

Lookin good! Did lubing the keycap stems help?

Yeah it seems to prevent them from sticking. I did have to pull off a bunch of caps to take the board back apart and swap a couple more switches after realizing they were missing strokes intermittently. The GPL205 seems to do the trick. The switches are fantastic and stiffer than I expected. I am thinking after some good use they'll start to smooth out a bit. I'm thinking now that I should have probably added a dab of lube on them as well just for good measure.
As for the board, its really great. I am still working on tweaking my layers to work for what i'm used to. I really like the "arrow" setup.

-Dana

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4897 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 13:42:38 »
Swapped my Zenith's spacebar (which had a SKCL Striped Amber) with a SKCM Cream Damp spring to make it a bit heavier. The result is good :thumb: It was a bit to light at 55g, but 70g is nice. Also used an extra Amber slider I had that had it's marking removed so it looks appropriate :)

Opened two identical SKCM Cream Dampended's (same switchplate, same top) and found they use completely different springs. Weird :eek: One is normally the one I find and the other is much shorter with more coils. Both feel the same to me.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #4898 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 14:54:48 »
Interesting. How is there no difference in travel when using the same slider?

And does that mean you actually have parts to convert another linear switch to striped amber? I'd be interested in that :)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4899 on: Mon, 26 December 2016, 15:00:41 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:57 by alienman82 »