Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458612 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5050 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 03:08:52 »
Nice thing about Alps is 1) that you can just switch the switch plate (contacts) out without much hassle or risk of damaging anything and 2) that the bottom housings don't really have an effect on feel, so you can readily swap bottoms with other switches.

With Cherry, doing that to try and avoid damaging the contacts can change the feel especially if you go from vintage to modern.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5051 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 04:25:41 »
Smexy :p No more tree logo!
Show Image

Thanks so much to itzmeluigi for the free Zenith Z-150 parts! Dyesub caps, SKCL Cream, SKCL Green LEDs and the black XT badge.

Also found this very interesting. I have never seen this before on SKCL/SKCM. I thought only SKCC's had this feature:
Show Image

Show Image

I had been wondering about this for a while, so does the black XT badge fit the ZKB-2 perfectly then? Did you sand off the original lettering and stuck the XT badge on, or did you do something different with it? It looks gorgeous, I might try and do it as well!

It fits perfectly. Its the exact size as the ZKB-2 (or 163-73 in my case).

Since its not actually a ZKB-2 the logo doesn't come off so it makes it easier. The original fixed tree logo is simply glued on, so I pried it off and super glued it in place. Pretty easy. Its the same thickness as the original as well so it looks factory. The black XT logo is actually metal while the newer tree logo is plastic too.

You will have a harder time with a ZKB-2 since the logo clips in and such. I was able to ditch the old one entirely! The surface it goes on is smooth plastic and recessed.
Ah, I see, that makes sense. Noice!

A SKCM Amber just failed on the V60 for no reason. Lol why tho ??

Replaced switchplate and its good :thumb:

because it's not cherry
50 Million > 20 Million
Cherry < Alps

you'll never hit 20 million, so that's invalid.

Cherry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> alps
Hah....

Hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #5052 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 04:45:21 »
Smexy :p No more tree logo!
Show Image

Thanks so much to itzmeluigi for the free Zenith Z-150 parts! Dyesub caps, SKCL Cream, SKCL Green LEDs and the black XT badge.

Also found this very interesting. I have never seen this before on SKCL/SKCM. I thought only SKCC's had this feature:
Show Image

Show Image

I had been wondering about this for a while, so does the black XT badge fit the ZKB-2 perfectly then? Did you sand off the original lettering and stuck the XT badge on, or did you do something different with it? It looks gorgeous, I might try and do it as well!

It fits perfectly. Its the exact size as the ZKB-2 (or 163-73 in my case).

Since its not actually a ZKB-2 the logo doesn't come off so it makes it easier. The original fixed tree logo is simply glued on, so I pried it off and super glued it in place. Pretty easy. Its the same thickness as the original as well so it looks factory. The black XT logo is actually metal while the newer tree logo is plastic too.

You will have a harder time with a ZKB-2 since the logo clips in and such. I was able to ditch the old one entirely! The surface it goes on is smooth plastic and recessed.
Ah, I see, that makes sense. Noice!

A SKCM Amber just failed on the V60 for no reason. Lol why tho ??

Replaced switchplate and its good :thumb:

because it's not cherry
50 Million > 20 Million
Cherry < Alps

you'll never hit 20 million, so that's invalid.

Cherry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> alps
Hah....

Hahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

cherry < topralps

Offline E3E

« Reply #5053 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 04:54:37 »
Well that's unique, wow. Lol. Talk about a crazy mashup. Did you modify each slider yourself or 3D print them or cast them or something?

Offline E3E

« Reply #5054 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 04:57:42 »

I was just about to post these. Thanks to Mattr for the trade. Traded some SKCM Browns and some SKCM Creams for these Chinese IBM Multistation caps. Well, some of them here are Chinese.

The Chinese caps have blue legends on the alphas. I put them in the WASD cluster for fun just for now.

This is pretty much just a mock up for how I ultimately want to set up my Mira.

I'll need one more set of Multistation caps to top off the F-row profile since both MattR and I have incomplete sets that were unfortunately missing keys of that profile.

I think maybe Canon typewriter caps could fill in on some spots, but they might be too dark. They'd be easier to get at least.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 04:59:50 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5055 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 05:45:08 »
cherry < topralps
Show Image

In fact, browsing through my list of keyboards,

Cherry < Alps
Cherry < Topre
Cherry < Space Invaders (all of them)
Cherry < Montereys
Cherry < buckling springs
Cherry < Acers
Cherry < Honeywells
Cherry < Fujitsus
Cherry < some of the better rubber domes

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5056 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 07:14:57 »

Cherry < Alps
Cherry < Topre
Cherry < Montereys
Cherry < Acers
Cherry < Honeywells
Cherry < Fujitsus

Jailhouse green and blue, and ergo clear are not bad.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5057 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 08:40:08 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:15:32 by alienman82 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5058 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:03:31 »
I prefer G80-5000 to the SKCM browns, but they aren't quite the same category, so it's just what I think.

I never could find an Alps linear board that wasn't in **** shape, and I don't feel like looking, so there aren't any kits really for me to use, and all the old layouts suck.

Fujitsu, honeywell aren't better than Cherry linears, I have both and the one is too damn heavy, the other one has a **** layout

Cherry is less than 'better' rubber domes?  You're trying to piss me off  :)) :))

Buckling springs are better than Cherry blue, but clicky switches suck

Topre isn't really even mechanical, and if it's the better rubber dome, you're still trying to piss me off  :confused: :confused:
Obviously layouts have nothing to do with the actual switches, so that's a pretty moot point. And all this is subjective, of course, you're free to prefer Cherry. But Fujitsus are not generally heavy, they're quite light in fact, and so much better designed than Cherries. And not just Topre, I'd consider quite a lot of good non-capacitive rubber domes better than tactile Cherry switches, because at least good rubber domes are actually tactile whereas the tactility in Cherry switches is very weak and unclean. I'd say MX browns are possibly the worst of a bad bunch, though blacks are quite terrible as well. Shame you don't like clicky switches; I'd say MX blues are by far the best in the MX range.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5059 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:18:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:15:28 by alienman82 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5060 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:45:57 »

but practically speaking, they will last in the same condition from normal use vs alps which in the hands of a random person will become crappy. 

Although this is probably true in general, I have an original Dell AT101W that I got with a Dell system in the late 1990s and used regularly for several years, plenty enough to shine the caps. It has been stored in a clean indoor environment ever since, but not "hermetically sealed" by any means, and it still feels very good.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5061 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:59:28 »
I prefer G80-5000 to the SKCM browns, but they aren't quite the same category, so it's just what I think.

I never could find an Alps linear board that wasn't in **** shape, and I don't feel like looking, so there aren't any kits really for me to use, and all the old layouts suck.

Fujitsu, honeywell aren't better than Cherry linears, I have both and the one is too damn heavy, the other one has a **** layout

Cherry is less than 'better' rubber domes?  You're trying to piss me off  :)) :))

Buckling springs are better than Cherry blue, but clicky switches suck

Topre isn't really even mechanical, and if it's the better rubber dome, you're still trying to piss me off  :confused: :confused:
Obviously layouts have nothing to do with the actual switches, so that's a pretty moot point. And all this is subjective, of course, you're free to prefer Cherry. But Fujitsus are not generally heavy, they're quite light in fact, and so much better designed than Cherries. And not just Topre, I'd consider quite a lot of good non-capacitive rubber domes better than tactile Cherry switches, because at least good rubber domes are actually tactile whereas the tactility in Cherry switches is very weak and unclean. I'd say MX browns are possibly the worst of a bad bunch, though blacks are quite terrible as well. Shame you don't like clicky switches; I'd say MX blues are by far the best in the MX range.
Personal preference is personal preference. However, Einstein was once asked if there was such a thing as objective reality. He replied, "Yes, I believe so." In such an objective reality, I like to think that Cherry mx is ranked the lowest of all keyboard switches, with the possible exception of some of the linear switches found in ancient terminal keyboards.

Having said this, I am influenced by form factor and layout -- my favorites are 60% and HHKB. Because of this, I own a custom 60% HHKB layout with a glass fiber case and Gateron Yellow switches, which I find much smoother than contemporary Cherry mx Red or Black and with a spring weight in between these two that I find ideal.

Although I generally prefer tactile/clicky to linear, Cherry mx and its clones are inherently linear, and they tend to do a bad job at their attempts to be tactile and/or clicky, so with these switches, I like to go with what they do best and opt for their purely linear varieties. If I were to choose a tactile/clicky mx switch, it would be Cherry or Gateron Green.

Apart from the occasional excursion into Cherry mx and clones, my overall favorite switches remain IBM capacitive buckling spring (Model F), Topre 45g, and various Alps (especially SKCM White or Blue).

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5062 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 10:05:29 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:15:25 by alienman82 »

Offline dante

« Reply #5063 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 10:09:01 »

Cherry < Alps
Cherry < Topre
Cherry < Montereys
Cherry < Acers
Cherry < Honeywells
Cherry < Fujitsus

Jailhouse green and blue, and ergo clear are not bad.

Jailhouse Milk is also good.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5064 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 11:56:21 »

but practically speaking, they will last in the same condition from normal use vs alps which in the hands of a random person will become crappy. 

Although this is probably true in general, I have an original Dell AT101W that I got with a Dell system in the late 1990s and used regularly for several years, plenty enough to shine the caps. It has been stored in a clean indoor environment ever since, but not "hermetically sealed" by any means, and it still feels very good.

you're a keyboard enthusiast.  I am saying if you search for one today, all the cherry boards of the same part number i.e. all the G80-1800HPU boards are going to be about the same feeling, while all the alps boards of a certain part number will not.
Yes, their vulnerability to dirt and are Alps' biggest weakness. But that's not what people usually base their idea of keyfeel on. Just like you don't let a bottle of wine turn to vinegar before you assess its taste. Also, Cherries really don't feel all THAT similar - so many people have reported tales of blacks getting beter and blues going worse, for example.

Offline need

« Reply #5065 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:23:40 »
I love vintage Cherry clears, I'm just not able to type as swiftly on any Alps. Their tactility is too great, which causes stiffness in every stroke. Cherry could have increased their tactility, but I'm grateful that they didn't.

My typing style is not hitting each stroke separately, but connecting all characters of a single word in one fluid motion.

Alps is just sluggish, in both down stroke and up stroke. The worst that I've tried is black Alps in this regard. With the heavier springs weights that they have in comparison to Cherry's, you'd think they are more responsive. Unfortunately no... They really aren't any better than Cherry from the same period. (It's unfair to compare vintage Alps to modern Cherry)

All that being said, I still love Alps for being what they are. Just can't make Alps as my daily board, as my productivity will decrease hugely.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:34:12 by need »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5066 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:11:20 »
Ergo clears and vintage browns are really nice, other than that I can take or leave most other cherry switches. blues are the absolute worst. I put ergo clears and vintage browns on the "top tier" of switches, atleast in my opinion. And that's the thing. opinions. We all have them. Due to the nature of this thread, it's an alps circlejerk, and there's nothing wrong with that. I love this thread. but the cherry hate... I used to partake in it, however when I tried a "real" cherry board it changed my opinions. I still hold the opinion that most modern MX is ****, and I dont like any stock cherry switch that is made today. However, ergo clears are really a top tier tactile switch, and vintage browns are quite nice too. Im sure vintage blacks are great too, when tuned correctly, but I dont like linears. I can type equally fast on either switch, that doesnt effect me. both companies have their pros and cons, but cherry seems to have more cons than alps. But when put together right, cherry switches can be great.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #5067 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:11:21 »
It's suddenly busy in here..!  :))

I don't have so much experience with keyboards - my first keyboard was the chiclet keyboard of a laptop. And then quickly I had the choice of using many keyboards in various laboratories in a university campus, my favorite was the SGI Granite keyboard and followed closely by an IBM KB-8923 (a quiet and smooth but quite tactile rubber dome), I tried a few times to understand why there is a cult of IBM model M and even owned one (M13) for a few years, treated it like a piece of art but never got use to its something... huge keyboard size? key cap texture? its key feel? its assertive mechanical click?
Fast forward to recently, I heard using a mechanical keyboard is the new black - they must be something real good I thought, was pretty much ignorant about the mechanisms of key switches except the buckling springs and the rubber dome. However, when I tried them in a store the first time, the Cherry browns, blues, and reds..., "the key feels of these are pretty much XXXX, do people like them nowadays?!"
Cherry browns are unforgivably the worst, it's like hitting a bump while driving, the tactility is not at the top and pretty much after the key press is linear in action, and then the tactile bump is unclear. Blues have better tactility but its still has the problem of browns while not as bad, (and Greens seem even better) but I don't like them being clicky. Reds are just too light, too weak and too easy to bottom out even for a person who came from rubber dome. I have tried MX Clears, they are much better than blues and browns, but there's still slightly the problem I mentioned - its tactility not at the very top. I have yet to try a whole board with Ergo-clear or Zealios which I acquired some.
I like Gateron blacks, I didn't know I could learn to appreciate linear switches at all, they are really smooth, quite smoother than the new Cherry blacks I have.
Cherry switches are not that bad, at least they are 'easy' to type, so that they are better than many simplified Alps.

Tactile and clicky Alps switches has a harsher key feel, it feels like you really need to push them. The 'complicated' SKCMs are smooth and much better than the simplified ones. The simplified white Alps I tried are like worst and more difficult version of Cherry browns, i.e. larger grains of sand in the switches and closer to the top of keystroke. It feels good when a switch can let the user "ease into the tactile bump" during a key press instead of just presenting a bump.
I have yet to say what are the best tactile Alps for me, but judging from the force curves, it seems SKCM browns and SKCM neon greens will be ideal, but their curve is also similar to Topre's force curve.

SKCM (complicated) Alps > better Cherry  e.g. Zealios/ErgoClears >> other tactile/clicky Cherry > simplified Alps
Gateron blacks >= SKCL greens > Cherry blacks

Have yet to try many other kinds of vintage and modern switches mentioned (perhaps I tried some but didn't notice).
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #5068 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:21:01 »
Thought I'd share this here. My TaiHao Dolch arrived today from Aus - shoutout to u/ayybasketballs.

Fitted them to my KBP V60 this evening. Holy crap, how bloody tight are these Matias caps.. Honestly thought I was going to break some switches, not looking forward to taking them all off again when/if I get Alpine Winter.

Anyway, enough talking, more clacking:

Feel much nicer to type on and the legend/cap colour combo makes typing in dim light much easier. V. happy. Ciao!
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5069 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:31:44 »
Thought I'd share this here. My TaiHao Dolch arrived today from Aus - shoutout to u/ayybasketballs.

Fitted them to my KBP V60 this evening. Holy crap, how bloody tight are these Matias caps.. Honestly thought I was going to break some switches, not looking forward to taking them all off again when/if I get Alpine Winter.

Anyway, enough talking, more clacking:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Feel much nicer to type on and the legend/cap colour combo makes typing in dim light much easier. V. happy. Ciao!
The KBP V60MTS-C is a fun board. It really lets you know that you are typing!

The super-tight fit of the Matias caps is scary, however. The Tai-Hao caps are also fairly tight. I've put dye-sub PBT caps from an IBM 5140 on the alphanumeric keys; these caps fit nicely and are much easier to remove than the originals.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5070 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 18:19:11 »
Was thinking about selling my modded omnikey, but I just cant bring myself to do it. I really love this board. Forgot how good it was  :-\ If anyone really wants it, let me know.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5071 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:22:59 »

Was thinking about selling my modded omnikey, but I just cant bring myself to do it.

Northgate Omnikey 101 is the endgame Alps keyboard for anybody who prefers straight-ANSI layout.

I have 2: one with excellent blue Alps and one with modded like-new "faux-orange" (long story). Alps keyboards simply don't get any better than that.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #5072 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:25:03 »
Was thinking about selling my modded omnikey, but I just cant bring myself to do it. I really love this board. Forgot how good it was  :-\ If anyone really wants it, let me know.

The one that is full ANSI with the ivory switches I sold you? USDA prime keyboard right there.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5073 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:26:37 »

Was thinking about selling my modded omnikey, but I just cant bring myself to do it.

Northgate Omnikey 101 is the endgame Alps keyboard for anybody who prefers straight-ANSI layout.

I have 2: one with excellent blue Alps and one with modded like-new "faux-orange" (long story). Alps keyboards simply don't get any better than that.
Yeah, I love mine. The ridiculously overbuilt nature of the case gives the switches (in this case, SKCM cream) a spectacular feel. It even rivals my all alu Kustom in weight, which isnt an easy thing to achieve. My only real issue with the board is the center stem caps lock, which makes finding keysets hard. I currently have SGI granite on it, sans the caps lock.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:28:47 by mike52787 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5074 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:27:03 »

The one that is full ANSI with the ivory switches I sold you? USDA prime keyboard right there.
mhmm

Offline E3E

« Reply #5075 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:51:32 »
Simplified Alps before SKCL Greens and presumably other SKCL switches? You're a monster!

To sum it up, Alp users regularly **** on Cherry users and Cherry users regularly **** on Alps users. That's how it is. :P

You have a lot of Cherry guys making very naive assumptions about Alps to justify staying away from them (sometimes it's subjective and fine). You have Alps guys hating on Cherry.

I'm personally just smitten with Alps and that affects my opinion of other switches. I like the short, snappy throw, the look, feel, the uniqueness and variety of Alps, and the very wide array of cap selections once you start digging deeper. Aesthetically, I find them to look industrial but elegant. Nice Japanese design.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2017, 19:53:09 by E3E »

Offline need

« Reply #5076 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 20:55:43 »
Aesthetically, I find them to look industrial but elegant. Nice Japanese design.

Funnily enough in the traditional sense, Japanese aesthetic isn't about being industrial. The Germans on the other hand have everything to with being industrial.   :))  After all it's the Germans who fuelled the industrialisation of consumer products in the early 20th century.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5077 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 21:01:43 »
Aesthetically, I find them to look industrial but elegant. Nice Japanese design.

Funnily enough in the traditional sense, Japanese aesthetic isn't about being industrial. The Germans on the other hand have everything to with being industrial.   :))  After all it's the Germans who fuelled the industrialisation of consumer products in the early 20th century.

That makes sense. What would you say the Japanese aesthetic is about? Elegance, simplicity, complexity; something else entirely? Curious on your thoughts. Yeah, Germans definitely scream industrial to me. I feel like Alps -look- more industrial, but Cherry switches definitely seem more reliable in industrial environments.

Judging by how complex Alps is, I'd say complexity is one aspect, haha.

Offline need

« Reply #5078 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 23:15:46 »

That makes sense. What would you say the Japanese aesthetic is about? Elegance, simplicity, complexity; something else entirely? Curious on your thoughts. Yeah, Germans definitely scream industrial to me. I feel like Alps -look- more industrial, but Cherry switches definitely seem more reliable in industrial environments.

Judging by how complex Alps is, I'd say complexity is one aspect, haha.

Simplicity is definitely one. The concept of Zen Buddism or "nothingness" is being reflected in so many aspects of their culture. They take pleasure and comfort from even the smallest mundane things. They are scarily polite with their speech. They don’t want to get into too much trouble and get on with their daily routine, etc. This repetitive way of life may seem industrial and “mechanical”, but what they believe is that it’s the small things where greatness lies (Yin and Yang / Kanji). They do the same old stuff over and over again, what you get at the end is something very refined and most importantly special. In their professional life, lineage is a common value. No one gets successful overnight, and apart from practicing, they need to have mentors (senpei) who will pass on something valuably special to them. Even to this modern day there’s still a lot of “artisans” ^-^ around in many different industries. For example many people who work in the construction industry are basically artisans, they take pride in their work. That’s what makes their buildings so meticulously crafted, even those in the urban environment. A lot of wood joiners and glasses hand-makers still exist (the wearer take comfort from the warmness emitted by the material). They are highly respected people and you can always certainly can trace back to their many generations of previous mentors who have had influenced them. Although they are like a popular star, you just can’t perceive them as an individual. It’s a continuous and complex process.

“Japanese style” is so apparent even when you look back at their art from very long time ago. Ukiyo-e as an art genre has some of the most boring looking paintings, many of which are daily scenes that looked mundane, but then again - the wisdom lies within the smallest things…Their main meal is the equivalent of delicacy in many other cultures. Sushi (it’s always rice…they don’t like change do they?), sashimi (raw fish that seemingly unprepared…), yet from eating those they feel full and most importantly content. Lightness is a reoccurring theme that’s so apparent in their architecture, their want something structurally unobtrusive, hence you see homes that are basically boxy frames. They are highly flexible by calling pulling paper curtains as their walls, and the transparency helps them in feeling like being a part of nature. These don’t really apply anymore in the contemporary setting, after all it’s the irrelevances that makes Tokyo special. As we know many lead a soul crushingly isolated lifestyle, fuelled by the natureless environment I guess  :confused:. Overall, I believe it’s their complexity within their simplicity, that makes them so elegant.

Germans is generally much bolder in the actions that they make. Heavy weighted, more dramatic, rigorously mechanical while having some really bold innovations/revolutions here and there. Despite the differences, both traditional German and Japanese cultures seem to value nature highly to the point of having a spiritual place in their life.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5079 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 00:45:18 »
Lol wtf, this guy from South Korea is selling 184 'cleaned' SKCM Blue's with a starting bid of only $20 with $20 shipping :eek: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282333242851

I know others are going to find this so I thought I would post it here :-\
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #5080 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 00:56:58 »

[...]

Germans is generally much bolder in the actions that they make. Heavy weighted, more dramatic, rigorously mechanical while having some really bold innovations/revolutions here and there. Despite the differences, both traditional German and Japanese cultures seem to value nature highly to the point of having a spiritual place in their life.

This was a fantastic read. That makes a lot of sense considering the different traditional crafts of Japan like swordsmithing and urushi laquerware techniques among many other things like the various kind of papercrafts I've seen coming from Japan. I forget their names. Not just origami. There's also that lovely concept of perfection in imperfection. I really like that one. All this makes me appreciate Alps even more. You can see some of that attention to detail in their switches and keyboards. Also tons of cap families too, haha. 

It's interesting to hear about these design philosophies. I feel like you can see them in both Cherry and Alps (as well as Topre, of course), same with the American design aesthetic for IBM.

Lol wtf, this guy from South Korea is selling 184 'cleaned' SKCM Blue's with a starting bid of only $20 with $20 shipping :eek: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282333242851

I know others are going to find this so I thought I would post it here :-\
Show Image

Gawd, this is not going to end well. I need 101 more blue alps for a board I want to restore, but I don't have much hope of getting them for the time being, haha. I mean, I have boards I could salvage them from, but there's no reason to do that, and it'd defeat the purpose. Hmm.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5081 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 04:48:10 »
FWIW, I wouldn't trust them. If they're cleaned, who knows what condition they're in?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5082 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 13:29:03 »
And this is why I always clean my Alps switches or at least check then. Eww.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5083 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 14:12:25 »
Show Image

Show Image

Were those some of the SKCM creams that you bought from mandrewdavis? because I think I have the cap set that came off those switches. Looks like someone spilled milk (or well... you know) all over them. Gross!

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5084 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 14:27:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

Were those some of the SKCM creams that you bought from mandrewdavis? because I think I have the cap set that came off those switches. Looks like someone spilled milk (or well... you know) all over them. Gross!
Show Image

Yea, I got them through E3E.

That one was the worst. The rest are fine, just a bit on the housings.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5085 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:27:53 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yea, I got them through E3E.

That one was the worst. The rest are fine, just a bit on the housings.

Ahh yes that once guy on eBay who sold me all of his broken NeXT keyboards. I in turn, harvested and sold a total of four boards worth of switches to Mike and E3E. There was one with a fairly isolated spill but it didn't seem to effect the feel and after desoldering ~400 switches with bent pins I just didn't have the energy to clean them. Just dug out the offending plate from my garage.

Also, does anyone know what kind of switches would be in a Microterm 5510 keyboard?
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:32:50 by MandrewDavis »

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5086 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:33:42 »
Someone spilled some drink on it probably.

Also accidentally got a SKCM Cream Dampened in the bag of SKCM Creams, oops. Will get another one, just a mix up. Interesting to note about this switch is that it is a rather early one, as well as being in perfect condition. No Alps logo and a black top housing. Comparison:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5087 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:48:18 »
Well, they cleaned up really nice! :D

I am going to sell this board, I really dont have a  use for a 2nd 60%. If anyone wants it, PM me. It has SKCL Green switches modded with SKCM white tops and SKCM blue click leaves.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5088 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 15:51:56 »
Someone spilled some drink on it probably.

Also accidentally got a SKCM Cream Dampened in the bag of SKCM Creams, oops. Will get another one, just a mix up. Interesting to note about this switch is that it is a rather early one, as well as being in perfect condition. No Alps logo and a black top housing. Comparison:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

If youre a bit short, I can send you a few SKCM creams, I have about 5 boards worth :0

Offline E3E

« Reply #5089 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 16:15:05 »
Show Image

Show Image

So how are you liking/what are your impressions on the SKCM Browns?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #5090 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 18:40:17 »
Show Image

Show Image

So how are you liking/what are your impressions on the SKCM Browns?

Just finished putting the board back together. Typing on it now.

They are very nice indeed. Very smooth and rounded feel. The SKCM Creams match very well. The SGI is a perfect fit for them PBT caps and all too. Although I'm not quite done with it yet ;)

The SKCL Green is where the missing SKCM Cream should go.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5091 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 18:41:23 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:14:59 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5092 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 18:54:27 »
Its ok, noone appreciates you either

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #5093 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:45:56 »
Holy **** man, that was brutal.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #5094 on: Sat, 21 January 2017, 21:46:45 »
Holy **** man, that was brutal.
haha its just for the jokes

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #5095 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 02:04:51 »
Found an AEK2 at my parents house! wow. I am about to desolder and remove all the switches. What is the cheapest pcb that will accept alps? I'm hoping for this to cost less than an ADB converter, or else i'll do that and use the apple keycap set and frame.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #5096 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 04:41:08 »
Found an AEK2 at my parents house! wow. I am about to desolder and remove all the switches. What is the cheapest pcb that will accept alps? I'm hoping for this to cost less than an ADB converter, or else i'll do that and use the apple keycap set and frame.

Hasu is is doing another GB run of his 60% board.

Clueboard is also a great option, if you're into the 66% scene.

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #5097 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 04:56:28 »
What are the boards from which I can harvest caps for an HHKB layout? DSA profile and Alpine Winter is not to my liking :| so looking for a donor board.

Offline E3E

« Reply #5098 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 05:15:06 »
What are the boards from which I can harvest caps for an HHKB layout? DSA profile and Alpine Winter is not to my liking :| so looking for a donor board.

If you wanted a PBT set, the Dell AT101 and Zenith 163-73 key caps would work splendidly together.

If you don't really care about thin ABS, then Tai Hao sets from a Focus FK-2001 and an ANSI Northgate Omnikey would work. 

You can also use an AEK and M0116 to create a set appropriate for the HHKB. Unique profile, but thick dyesubbed PBT.

There are MANY sets that can fit, but it gets pretty obscure past this point.

You can also use IBM 5140 key caps for most of the HHKB layout aside from enter and the pipe key. You might have to find something for the two 1u bottom row keys with that one too.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 January 2017, 05:17:35 by E3E »

Offline iwantatrophy

« Reply #5099 on: Sun, 22 January 2017, 05:20:43 »
Thanks for quick reply although nearly all of them lack 1.5 backspace (with legend). It also seems I can't find an IBM on ebay right now, but I do have an Dell AT101 seller in contact.