Author Topic: Best lube for Blue Alps?  (Read 7006 times)

Offline snarfarlarkus

Best lube for Blue Alps?
« on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 21:34:05 »
Which lube should I use to lube my blue alps switches? And also, how much should I use? Cheers

Offline TheO-RingGuys

• Hey, my name is Fernand and I sell o-rings. B)
Re: Best lube for Blue Alps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:38:12 »
I'm very interested in hearing what people have to say in regards to this issue. I've been wondering the same!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:54:18 »
Why would you lube them? It would diminish the click on most cases. As far as I can tell, Alps switches use some kind of powder or dry lube. Not sure exactly though. Anything that we have in the normal lube inventory would probably just make the switch less clicky.

Honestly, I feel they're perfect as is.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:55:55 by CPTBadAss »

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 01:26:10 »
Why would you lube them? It would diminish the click on most cases. As far as I can tell, Alps switches use some kind of powder or dry lube. Not sure exactly though. Anything that we have in the normal lube inventory would probably just make the switch less clicky.

Hm... Mine feel scratchy, almost as if the click is slowly dimishing?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 01:34:01 »
Want to sell me your blue Alps? ;)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 02:46:53 »
I'd say RO-59, though, I've never tried it on Blue.
I've used it on Topre and Alps and  had no complain but I don't know how good in fact because I have no experience with other lubes.

Offline Altis

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 08:22:37 »

It shouldn't affect the click at all on Alps boards.

Just make sure not to lubricate the long edges since one of the long edges will be where the switch contactors are, and if it gets in there the switch won't register properly.

Best bet it to apply lubricant to the sides of the switch only. That's where most of the friction is and it won't affect the switch.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 09:50:17 »
You think so altis? I should give it a try. I forget that the mechanism for clicking in alps is different from cherry but I wonder if lubing just the ends will help.

@OP why don't you try opening them up and cleaning them first?

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:35:41 »
You think so altis? I should give it a try. I forget that the mechanism for clicking in alps is different from cherry but I wonder if lubing just the ends will help.

@OP why don't you try opening them up and cleaning them first?

From what I can tell, the clicker piece is along one of the long edges while the switchplate is along the other long edge.

There shouldn't be any issue from lubricating the short sides, though it would help to get the switch apart to get the bottom half of the short sides as they are wider at the bottom.

It should make a difference since it's the sides that guide the switch stem up and down.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 13:50:03 »
If you need dry lube, try molybdenum disulfide.  There's some cheap on etsy that I've tried.  I still need to do my lube review, but I've been pretty impressed with it.  A little goes a long way with it.  It's also non-conductive and shouldn't damage the plastic (there are actually several plastic "alloys" that have it in their formulation for lubrication purposes.

I've been unimpressed with RO-59 and it requires an oven cure to work properly.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 15:04:47 »
I prefer dry lube, I just tried only Krytox GPL105 but I don't feel like apply it on my Alps and Topre at least. It droped down to bottom in the end or doesn't stay on Topre plunger.

You can cure RO-59 at room temp for day and night, I usually dry them only for a few hours before assembly.

EDIT: Not that I recommend to take the trouble to get RO-59. I doubt its cost vs performance and believe reasonable and better options here and there.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 15:14:10 by hasu »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 15:42:52 »
any thoughts on krytox 205 on green SKCL Alps..?
or even someone with experience with this combo?
because i'll probably try it unless someone thinks it's redundant or even a downgrade.
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 October 2015, 20:08:10 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 19:23:03 »
I'm not a huge fan of wet lubes for Alps.  Alps let stuff in more easily than MX switches, so they feel good at first but will start to feel worse over time.  A good dry lube, like molybdenum disulfide, applied very sparingly will feel good and is pretty damn cheap.

If you have Krytox on hand, feel free to use it, but I wouldn't in the long term.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 08:04:31 »
I was thinking a dry lube would be better as well nubbinator. Maybe I should pick some up to try out. But I haven't felt the need to lube my Alps and I think they might not be so good with wet lubes.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:39:17 »
Will definitely clean them out and look into dry lubing. What about the Alps design lets more dust in than say, Cherry? While the pieces look different and the clicky mechanisms are different, they seem very similar: a box with a spring that pushes a plastic stem out through a hole.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 17:44:37 »
@nubbi, A lubricating guide would rock.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 06:54:36 »
Will definitely clean them out and look into dry lubing. What about the Alps design lets more dust in than say, Cherry? While the pieces look different and the clicky mechanisms are different, they seem very similar: a box with a spring that pushes a plastic stem out through a hole.
The hole must have larger tolerances.

Note that the lube thing is only relevant on first-gen Alps, later generation were made without lube, presumably because they used a different plastic that doesn't require it as much (POM?).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 19:42:58 »
What is with the curing process? Haven't heard any of that in lubing process.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 05:54:03 »

Different dry lubes have different processes, but most have to cure.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 06:01:59 »

non dry lube dont need it right?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 06:03:18 »

non dry lube dont need it right?
Not that I've heard for the common keyboard lubes, but obviously there are a billion lube options out there so who knows.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 09:47:49 »

Dry lubes only have to cure if they're in a suspension or have additives that require a cure tube.  Graphite and MoS2 powder do not need to cure. 

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 11:03:19 »
I've used it on Topre and Alps and  had no complain but I don't know how good in fact because I have no experience with other lubes.

R0-59 has to cure, right?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 11:12:43 »

R0-59 has to cure, right?

Yes, RO-59 is in a suspension and I believe it has a binding agent.

Offline Sick Robotron

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 22:42:42 »
I was thinking a dry lube would be better as well nubbinator. Maybe I should pick some up to try out. But I haven't felt the need to lube my Alps and I think they might not be so good with wet lubes.

How do you apply this stuff to the Alps slider? I have never used a powder lubricant before, so any advice is much appreciated!!