Author Topic: Wanting to buy some new keybcaps for my CM Quickfire Storm XT  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Mkilbride

Wanting to buy some new keybcaps for my CM Quickfire Storm XT
« on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 20:37:45 »

Been having a lot of looking around and searching, debating. I thought my Alt Key had a problem lately, but it seems to be gone, so I figure I can stay with it. Looking at a bunch of new ones like Ducky or so and unsure. What I do know however is I want Double-shot PBT Keycaps, prefer in black with white legends, but white with black legend is also ok. Grey will do it has to.  I've seen some cheap options and some expensive ones. My old ones are quite shiny, have been for some time now, but I thought that was just Keycaps, I hear Double-shot PBT can last like 5~ years without shining though.  I'd like your help & thoughts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IK-Translucent-Double-shot-PBT-104-KeyCaps-Backlit-for-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-Delux-/253319657690?var=&hash=item3afb0738da

These exist, at a very reasonable price. I like their font.  I found one review on reddit with someone saying they are genuine double-shot PBT keys, though obviously not as good as the really expensive ones. I was curious if anyone else here had experience.

Then on the other spectrum here some ducky ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-AKKO-Ducky-108-Double-Shot-PBT-Keycaps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-Key-Caps/222884963803?hash=item33e4faa5db:m:m24F8mg6OvzMeq1VYBpFp0w

I've read about Vortex and Tai-Hao, but mixed reviews all around. I don't want ones that legends fade quickly, but the important part is that they remain non-shined really. They don't need to be backlit.

Of course, there is also the question if I'm going to be paying nearly 50$ for Keycaps, a Ducky One is only 99$ or a newer CM Masterkey model is only 89$ and both come with PBT Keycaps. Though I hear CM's legends fade in a few weeks. I dunno.  Thoughts? I mean it just feels like if I'm already paying 50$ for Keycaps, why not 40-50$ more for a brand new, higher quality board with them already?

Offline Tactile

Re: Wanting to buy some new keybcaps for my CM Quickfire Storm XT
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 21:19:51 »
The Ducky One has a fantastic feature set for the price, including 1000hz USB polling rate, N key rollover over USB, and macro programmability. That one gets my vote.
REΛLFORCE

Offline seville57

Re: Wanting to buy some new keybcaps for my CM Quickfire Storm XT
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 10:11:42 »

Been having a lot of looking around and searching, debating. I thought my Alt Key had a problem lately, but it seems to be gone, so I figure I can stay with it. Looking at a bunch of new ones like Ducky or so and unsure. What I do know however is I want Double-shot PBT Keycaps, prefer in black with white legends, but white with black legend is also ok. Grey will do it has to.  I've seen some cheap options and some expensive ones. My old ones are quite shiny, have been for some time now, but I thought that was just Keycaps, I hear Double-shot PBT can last like 5~ years without shining though.  I'd like your help & thoughts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IK-Translucent-Double-shot-PBT-104-KeyCaps-Backlit-for-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-Delux-/253319657690?var=&hash=item3afb0738da

These exist, at a very reasonable price. I like their font.  I found one review on reddit with someone saying they are genuine double-shot PBT keys, though obviously not as good as the really expensive ones. I was curious if anyone else here had experience.

Then on the other spectrum here some ducky ones: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-AKKO-Ducky-108-Double-Shot-PBT-Keycaps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-Key-Caps/222884963803?hash=item33e4faa5db:m:m24F8mg6OvzMeq1VYBpFp0w

I've read about Vortex and Tai-Hao, but mixed reviews all around. I don't want ones that legends fade quickly, but the important part is that they remain non-shined really. They don't need to be backlit.

Of course, there is also the question if I'm going to be paying nearly 50$ for Keycaps, a Ducky One is only 99$ or a newer CM Masterkey model is only 89$ and both come with PBT Keycaps. Though I hear CM's legends fade in a few weeks. I dunno.  Thoughts? I mean it just feels like if I'm already paying 50$ for Keycaps, why not 40-50$ more for a brand new, higher quality board with them already?

Ducky One, I have a old white Ducky One RGB YOTG (White ABS Double Shot keycaps) and a pink Ducky One, no problems here.

Here with Miami PBT (104 caps set) keycaps set + 4 Raven artisans and matchin USB 550 Miami sleeve:

Sorry for the bad picture.

« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 10:37:53 by seville57 »