Author Topic: hub profile kickstarter live  (Read 4462 times)

Offline jimirolln

hub profile kickstarter live
« on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:09:06 »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thevankeyboards/hub-mechanical-keyboard-key-caps?ref=user_menu

12 set designs total

1 set $50

price breaks to from 3, 6, 9, and 12 sets with a breakdown of $25 per set for the later

Offline PRkeys

Re: hub profile kickstarter live
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:45:47 »
wow this is a great deal! Wanted to get one but at the same time thinking 'why not get 6?'. Fantastic job by Evan and I am surprised it is not being discussed more here.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:48:15 »
Well for starters the colourways are but ugly :rolleyes:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:49:58 »
I don't get it, what makes these keycaps so special besides the great advertising jargon?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:52:41 »
Well for starters the colourways are but ugly :rolleyes:

There are like 12 colorways, you think all of them are ugly?

Great buy if you just want a minivan as well. Few key options I would like to see added. And I worry that the goal is too high. But excited nonetheless.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:53:23 »
it's a cross between cherry and sa for people who like the way cherry feel but also like the way sa look

it's basically cherry with an sa sculpt to it

i think it is cool...there are a dozen color ways and if the launch is a success we could see a lot more

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:00:34 »
Oh, I guess that's cool. But I'm not interested at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:04:30 »
good thing this isn't an interest check...so lame...lulz

i tried to be slick and post this in the ic and gb forums because i really want it to succeed...it is very progressive...and highly ambitious

it would be an absolute tragedy if this doesn't make it...so for all the haters and salt shakers...get bent

if you don't have anything nice to say...don't...makes you look lame

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:08:09 by jimirolln »

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:10:29 »
I don't get it, what makes these keycaps so special besides the great advertising jargon?

The cost.
$50 for a full doubleshot kit that can cover 1800 boards and even some exotics without the need for additional kits with 12 colorway choices. It's just good value with lots of options from a community designer. And that's just to bootstrap their production, if they fund they will be able to do more, colorwise and add more key options.

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:37:11 »
Agreed. Love the affordable set options and can get a bunch to mix and match. I am about to to order 6 full sets at almost $30 each.  I don't think I have seen that kind of deal anywhere, even from the direct from china options.

Not into the flashy colors but think there is something for everyone, specially to help get it funded.

That Paperwork one got me  :-*

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:41:15 by PRkeys »

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 14:47:32 »
I got the 3 pack, since I didn't see 6 sets that I'd mix/match to get what I'd like.  3 is an easy sale though.   I'm a bit worried they won't hit their targets though as they're pretty aggressive.  The MoQ that $500k US represents is surely why the sets are so inexpensive.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 19:34:39 »
I saw this earlier and to be honest I'm on the fence about it.  I'm all for new profiles but I find myself nitpicking the heck out of these specific sets.  Few of the colorways have any appeal to me as I really don't care for bright neon colors on my keyboards.  Call me a boring old fogey but why not have at least once simple conservative option like Dolch or something?  Yeah Skidata and Midnight are almost there aside from the legends, and coincidentally they're the only two sets I could possibly see myself buying.

But there are still other things I don't like.  Corner legends on sphericals?  Why?  And then there are those icon modifiers which just look awful in my opinion.  They're like random scribbles.

I might end up buying some anyway just because it's something new and they're so cheap, but I really can't say that I'm crazy about these...

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 20:16:17 »
I think the 500k goal is achievable considering the average backer is spending ~$200 and it's already 10% funded. I grabbed one of the Early Birds and I'm debating splitting a 9 or 12 pack with someone else. I'm going to wait until Evan releases all of the full kit renders, though, so I can mock up some combinations I'm interested in, like Midnight + 80s Kid.

I saw this earlier and to be honest I'm on the fence about it.  I'm all for new profiles but I find myself nitpicking the heck out of these specific sets.  Few of the colorways have any appeal to me as I really don't care for bright neon colors on my keyboards.  Call me a boring old fogey but why not have at least once simple conservative option like Dolch or something?  Yeah Skidata and Midnight are almost there aside from the legends, and coincidentally they're the only two sets I could possibly see myself buying.
You could combine Midnight modifiers with Paperwork alphas and get a nice Grey on Grey on Black look going.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 20:32:25 »
Corner legends on cylindricals is a convention for showing which modifier/combo is used to get which symbol.
Giving modifiers corner legends and centring legends on the number keys on the numerical row breaks that.
Having some keys be left-justified and some centred looks unprofessional.
Many modifier symbols (Shift, Control, Alt, GUI, Enter, Pause) are both non-standard, I don't see how they would be more intuitive ... and they are ugly IMHO.
A blank set would have been preferable, IMHO, but that is not an option.

I wish that the keys had struts inside, so that they would be compatible with O-rings.

Too bad for what could have been such a promising profile.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 20:37:38 by Findecanor »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 22:02:44 »
Giving modifiers corner legends and centring legends on the number keys on the numerical row breaks that.
Having some keys be left-justified and some centred looks unprofessional.
I agree, it looks very strange and inconsistent to have centered legends on the number row and nowhere else. But, I'm pretty sure it's just a mistake, because all of the renders on Thevankeyboard's Instagram depict left-justified number row legends.

EDIT: Confirmed with Evan that they will be left-justified.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 22:29:15 by Parva Ovis »

Offline Out_of_diplomacy

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 07:03:29 »
Really nice sets, I might snug 1...or 3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 12:10:37 »
Here is the official thread

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94974.msg2586195.msg#2586195

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline PRkeys

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 13:17:37 »
Here is the official thread
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94974.msg2586195.msg#2586195

Thanks! I didn't search correctly when looking for it the first time. Will move to the discussion there.