Author Topic: [IC] Synth Labs 060 - GB Date Announced!  (Read 125072 times)

Offline TjarleN

Re: [IC] Synth Labs 060
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 23:18:26 »
Good to hear that the finishes are great, does that mean the coating problems the other prototypes had are completely gone?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2021, 22:47:12 by TjarleN »
Collection: HHKB Pro 2 type-s, HHKB Pro 2, Evija, IBM SSK, F77, G80-5000, Corne V3, Nasu, W1-AT
Ordered: Safa, Crin, Glare

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 13:53:44 »
Do you think we could maybe get an estimate for the GB date? (please say after febuary.... There are just too many other things come out in the next month or so.. 2-3 key sets, and 2-3 keebs..

Sale date will be announced when we have prototypes that verify that all issues have been worked out. That being said, it probably will be after February - but we'll see. I'm more inclined to open it up sooner rather than later, if all else is equal.

That are great news, I hope I can get one. This is probably the best looking board I am waiting for.

Good to hear that the finishes are great, does that mean the coating problems the other prototypes had are completely gone?
(Except for the fitting issue of course).

In short - yes, we should be in the clear.

To clarify further - the previous prototypes were made by other manufacturers, before keebwerk's involvement. With the other previous manufacturers, surface finish generally proved to be a challenge for them. We aren't seeing any issues with surface finishes with the prototype from keebwerk's manufacturer though. Keebwerk is confident in the surface finish quality they can provide for the other finishes as well, based on keebwerk's previous works with the manu as well as some of keebwerk's other collaboration projects' prototypes, which should be a good sample of their capabilities. In the end, this will all be QC'd tightly by keebwerk.

Hopefully, once the adjusted brass pieces are remanufactured and we get the prototype assembled, I'll be able to show detailed pictures when I have it in hand.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 14:38:41 »
Thanks for taking the time to respond, it is very much appreciated. The holidays were bottomless pit for my cash, but i should be fine by the middle of Feb.

(Cerakote is a really thin coating if memory serves, just fyi I geuss..)

And i just read the inspiration for this... If you do another keeb, you should think about combining some audio stuff into a keyboard. I've been throwing my vaccum tube amp/DAC keyboard idea at everyone.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 22:51:28 by Havattack »

Offline Akabwec

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 13:04:55 »
Any updates on the GB date?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:15:03 »
Any updates on the GB date?
According to the discord, they are awaiting final(?) prototypes, and finishing up the PCB design. I don't know what that means for a GB date exactly, but it is getting closer.
(just bite the bullet and sign of for Discord, it SUCKS having to sign up for yet another thing, but the majority of the GB's release all their updates on discord first, and more often.)

Offline Extra-Cwispy

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:29:19 »
This is awesome! GLWIC, gonna be watching this one :thumb:

Offline Xury46

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 20:34:52 »
Interesting design, that grill on the back is pretty cool!

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 15:18:11 »
Too many good 60% boards coming, I have to pick my favorites and say no to too many other great ones, but this one is too good to pass up. Can't wait for the GB, looks like it'll be around soon!

Offline clackeys

• Clackeys
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 13:35:11 »
Can't wait until this goes live!

Offline RocketScience

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 23:25:04 »
I will be watching this with great anticipation!

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 15:05:41 »
Looks like a big ol' bed frame.

Offline zandegran

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 04:49:52 »
Any updates on the GB?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 10:52:30 »
Any updates on the GB?

It it technically still a "GB" if it's an  in-stock drop?

Last update was about 2 weeks ago, saying pcb prototypes had been ordered.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 13:11:13 »
Any updates on the GB?

Apologies for the lack of updates on Geekhack. Here's whats new since last time:

• The PCB design has been completed. It was designed by the guys over at 0xCB, who have been awesome to work with!
  • We'll be adding another color option for the brass parts - black PVD
  • The assembly has been changed to hide visible screws, similar to designs such as the Vega. This actually allows for more screw placements, so it should be more sturdy in addition to looking better.
  • The previous circular feet have also been replaced with some pill-shaped feet.
  • Proper standoff mounting points to attach the PCB to the plate have been added. Using these will be optional of course, but recommended for hotswap builds.
  • The side gasket tabs have been removed.
  • PCB prototypes have been ordered.

Since there have been a bunch of changes to the case design, a new case prototype will also be needed. I'll need to check in with Keebwerk to see when they plan on ordering that.

I'll try and also update the renders soon, particularly to show off the new color option and new assembly.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 13:31:49 »
Very unique. Glad to see a new proto is coming soon. Good luck  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 November 2021, 13:35:12 by Neely_12 »

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 15:20:30 »
Hey all!

Apologies for the lack of updates here on Geekhack. There are some more incremental updates on the Discord server, but I want to just provide a recap here since last time to wrap up 2022.

We prototyped the keyboard earlier this year, which worked out quite well!

We have also decided to offer aluminum and polycarbonate plate options in addition to the existing PVD brass ones.

I received the prototype in September, and it was quite nice, with only some small adjustments needed, which have now been implemented. From the software perspective, the QMK firmware is done and already merged into the official QMK repository, and the VIA implementation is done and just pending final approval from the VIA reviewers. So we are good to go now!

Here's a gallery of the prototype!

And finally, we have an ETA on the group buy - it will be late-January 2023. The exact date and final details will be announced soon.

Happy holidays!
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 December 2022, 15:25:41 by Nostril »

Offline Starius

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 25 December 2022, 19:09:10 »
Oh wow!  Very excited to hear it's coming very soon now!   :thumb:

EDIT: 
Are any new color options making the cut?  Is space grey a possibility, by chance?
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 December 2022, 19:11:46 by Starius »

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 27 December 2022, 18:19:46 »
Oh wow!  Very excited to hear it's coming very soon now!   :thumb:

EDIT: 
Are any new color options making the cut?  Is space grey a possibility, by chance?

We added PVD Black as a new option for the brass parts. No new options for the aluminum parts currently, but an anodized space grey does seem potentially pretty cool.

Will discuss with keebwerk soon to lock in all the final details and options for the GB.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 20:43:52 »
Quick update!

We have also decided on the final options for the board. And we did end up making a few changes.
  • As far as color options, we will be sticking with the current options - unfortunately, adding a color is difficult since it means adding 3 whole new variants, given that the top chassis comes in Standard 60, HHKB, and WKL blocker variants.
  • For plate options, we are adding an FR4 plate with flex cuts, as well as a solid POM plate. We decided to remove the PVD Rose Gold, PVD Black, and PVD Silver brass plate options to make this happen. PVD Gold brass plate will still be available.
  • All other options will remain as they were.

We also actually made one small design change - we have added a small polycarbonate cover over the cavity for the daughterboard. This will allow us to place foam over that area, to make sure the sound across all of the keys is consistent.

For final pricing, I'm waiting on keebwerk to be able to confirm it. They are awaiting quotes from the manufacturer to determine if the pricing we want is achievable, since many things have changed in the world since the last time we have gotten a manufacturing quote.

Finally, we decided to move the GB date a bit back, but we now have a planned date of February 15th! No more changes to the design or available options are planned till then. Rather, we are taking the extra time to prepare materials we need for the GB itself. We would also like to see if we can get some video coverage on the prototype before then, so that people can know what to expect if they order.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 January 2023, 23:05:42 by Nostril »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] Synth Labs 060 - GB Date Announced!
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 22:14:23 »
Good idea with the PC cover on the daughterboard.  I'm thinking I might want a black case with black PVD accents in HHKB.  I think that might look pretty menacing. 

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 01 February 2023, 13:54:26 »
  • All other options will remain as they were.

Can you please add split Backspace support for the Hotswap PCB for us HHKB lovers? :D

EDIT: Alternatively, do you know if Synth Labs 060 will support other "generic" PCBs like any of the WT60's, Instant60, HS60, etc?
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2023, 13:57:10 by vhaarr »
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 01 February 2023, 16:55:59 »
Can you please add split Backspace support for the Hotswap PCB for us HHKB lovers? :D

Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to add support for split Backspace while maintaining support for single Backspace, since the hotswap sockets would get in the way of the stabilizer holes. Split Backspace is supported on the soldered PCB option though, if you're fine without hotswap and RGB.

Also worth mentioning that the 060 PCB is open-source, so you could make a hotswap PCB variant that supports split Backspace instead of single Backspace with some pretty minor changes and get it made.

Alternatively, do you know if Synth Labs 060 will support other "generic" PCBs like any of the WT60's, Instant60, HS60, etc?

It won't, since the 060 PCB has cutouts along the edges for the standoffs which allow the case to have a "screwless" design, which these generic PCBs don't have.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 02 February 2023, 09:25:37 »
I understand. Thank you for an excellent reply!  :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 02 February 2023, 21:09:52 »
The H60 hotswap from Hiney supports both split and 2u backspace.  I own 2 of them 😜
Currently out of stock but he restocks occasionally.

Also, the Cascade60 offers the same options.  That one is in stock.  Just make sure you choose “no USB” for the JST cable version.    I own 2 of those as well.  Nice PCBs.   

Offline hirashidan

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 02 February 2023, 21:48:39 »
Really happy about this one, I love the design!

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 05:21:01 »
Hi everyone! Quick update - due to timing changes with some other Keebwerk projects, we are pushing back the GB date for the 060 to February 20th.

Again, once GB details are finalized (which should hopefully be soon), I will be posting a thread in the GB section with all of the details.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 12:36:07 »
The H60 hotswap from Hiney supports both split and 2u backspace.  I own 2 of them 😜

Also, the Cascade60 offers the same options.  That one is in stock.  Just make sure you choose “no USB” for the JST cable version.    I own 2 of those as well.  Nice PCBs.   

Yes, but do they support stab on the 2u BS? I don't know if they do, but that's what Nostril said was preventing it on their PCB.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 23:54:51 »

Yes, but do they support stab on the 2u BS? I don't know if they do, but that's what Nostril said was preventing it on their PCB.

Yes, they support a stabilizer

This is how it's generally done:
295975-0
295977-1
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 February 2023, 00:37:44 by pixelpusher »

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #178 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 11:35:09 »
Hi all! Apologies for the delay, but we're moving the GB date back once more to February 24th to complete some materials for the GB customizer.

In other news, we have finalized pricing for the GB:
  • €429 in the EU
  • €399 outside of the EU

Alexotos will also be doing a build stream for the prototype planned for this coming week, so that will be a good chance for those interested to take an early look at it! I'll share some details on when to tune in once the schedule is confirmed.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 12:00:41 »
  • €429 in the EU
  • €399 outside of the EU

I'm so excited I've been refreshing the keebwerk page all day :-D

Do you mean "the European Union" or geographical Europe? For example (but not limited to) what about Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Britain?

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #180 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 13:10:43 »
  • €429 in the EU
  • €399 outside of the EU

I'm so excited I've been refreshing the keebwerk page all day :-D

Do you mean "the European Union" or geographical Europe? For example (but not limited to) what about Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Britain?

Thank you! :D

Just checked with keebwerk on this. The "EU pricing" applies to countries that have the Euro (€). For other countries, that will be the reduced non-EU price, as they will have to pay their local VAT upon import.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 February 2023, 13:13:08 by Nostril »

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 20 February 2023, 13:42:00 »
Hey all! Alexotos will be doing a build stream for the prototype tomorrow, February 21. Stream will be starting at 4:00pm PST.

You can tune in at https://www.twitch.tv/alexotos
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 February 2023, 14:08:45 by Nostril »

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 01:06:27 »
Hi folks!

GB thread has now been posted with final details:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=119617.0

Will be continuing my updates on there from here on.