Author Topic: What's your favorite music to listen to? Or, what have you listened to lately?  (Read 7233 times)

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
Just a general question I thought I'd post for fun. Personally, I listen to a large variety of music, with the only things I really don't like being modern US pop and Stadium Country, but lately I've been getting back into a band I haven't listened to a lot of for a little bit, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard. Primarily a prog rock and psychedelic rock band, they've branched out into quite a few different genres, including (but very much not limited to) thrash metal and boogie rock. Personal favorite band of mine for the mix of quality songs and variety of music to hear.

Also probably going to listen through Act II: The Father of Death by The Protomen again soon, that album is amazing.

So, what's your favorite music to listen to? Or, at least, what have you been jamming out to lately?

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
Classical music, because Tp boomer.

Hey, nothing wrong with classical. And classical music doesn't make you a boomer, if anything it makes you older, as most boomers would've grown up with jazz and early rock and roll.

But seriously, classical is great! Not a genre I listen to a whole lot, as I got a bit burnt out on it when I was in school due to being in band for 8 years or so, which on one hand was a great experience, but on the other lead to me not wanting to hear some classical arrangements to this day. You would not believe the amount of people who think they're being original by blasting the opening notes to Beethoven's 5th over and over again for their "warm up" on their instruments.

Offline Faceman76

Newest albums I've picked up are the White Stripes Greatest Hits, Ohms by Deftones and Tool's Fear Inoculum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Lately lots of Soilwork and a little Dark Tranquility.
Recently re-discovered Soilwork after not having listened to them since Stabbing the Drama.
Whoo boy have they done some neat stuff since. :D

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
Recently re-discovered Soilwork after not having listened to them since Stabbing the Drama.

I'll have to look into Soilwork if they're being spoken of in the same breath as Dark Tranquility! Honestly, DT is one of my favorite melodic death metal bands. Their newest album, Moment, is honestly something I would have jammed to more when it first dropped if KGATLW hadn't dropped their album KG pretty soon after, iirc. Might listen to it a bit more soon!

Newest albums I've picked up are the White Stripes Greatest Hits, Ohms by Deftones and Tool's Fear Inoculum.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Never really listened to Deftones, and my family tend to be more into Tool than I am, but The White Stripes have a solid library. Good choices!

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
Really the same Ive been listening to for years. Military songs and marches, and 50s-60s hits from Dino, Frank and Bing. Sometimes Nat. Also Elvis. Of cause.

Ill also periodically listen to late 70s, 80s and 90s rock.

And Believe it or not, I even like listening to synthwave.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls

I'll have to look into Soilwork if they're being spoken of in the same breath as Dark Tranquility! Honestly, DT is one of my favorite melodic death metal bands. Their newest album, Moment, is honestly something I would have jammed to more when it first dropped if KGATLW hadn't dropped their album KG pretty soon after, iirc. Might listen to it a bit more soon!
DT's Atoma is also pretty fantastic I've found. :)

Yeah really getting into a melo-death groove lately.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
Really the same Ive been listening to for years. Military songs and marches, and 50s-60s hits from Dino, Frank and Bing. Sometimes Nat. Also Elvis. Of cause.

Ill also periodically listen to late 70s, 80s and 90s rock.

And Believe it or not, I even like listening to synthwave.

You may want to look into King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, then. Their style, and recording method, lead to a sound that feels like 70s rock, but with a bit of a modern twist and feel (such as an album based around a guitar they modded for microtones, the smallest intervals between musical notes humans can hear. It's called Flying Microtonal Banana, if you're interested, though their recent album KG also experiments with the style.). They are incredibly talented musicians.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Normally I prefer to listen to Power, Symphonic, thrash, and/or instrumental Metal - the one genre that has a wide variety within it's own and some amazing guitarists and drummers compared to other genres. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline iri

Drum and bass. The latest DRS' album is not bad. Even the lyrics make sense.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Drum and bass. The latest DRS' album is not bad. Even the lyrics make sense.
I've been getting into DnB a bit lately when I found Maduk. I'll check this out.

That said, the new Chung Ha studio album is great, if you follow K-pop (though it's honestly less K-pop and more of everything else)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Lately I've been listening to what I've labelled 'beauty is a beast' metal (Evanescence and the like were called 'beauty and the beast' having female clean vocals and male growling/screaming, lately some ladies realised they can do both) - Rolo Tomassi, Dawn of Ouroboros, Scardust and Seven Spires.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline stoicbias

If I'm awake I'm either working or training so I usually listen to dance/electronic.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
Lately I've been listening to what I've labelled 'beauty is a beast' metal (Evanescence and the like were called 'beauty and the beast' having female clean vocals and male growling/screaming, lately some ladies realised they can do both) - Rolo Tomassi, Dawn of Ouroboros, Scardust and Seven Spires.

Listen to some Archenemy then, my friend. Metal supergroup started years ago, and the frontwoman does some damn good screams. Alternatively, if you want something that has that change in style from the frontwoman, Jinjer does a great job of that. Wonderful cleans interspersed with some downright wild screams, all from the same person. She does a wonderful job.

Alternatively, if you want more of the 'beauty and the beast' style, but done very well, Unleash the Archers is a (primarily) power metal band, with various members having backgrounds in death metal subgenres. Their frontwoman, Brittney Slayes, is all clean vocals, but she has an insanely powerful voice. Some of the guitarists occasionally interject with some more scream vocals, but it's done in a much more tasteful style of usually having the screams and the cleans be a dialogue between characters in the song. They even have a couple of songs where the backing vocalist does his own cleans, but that's usually more of a stylistic choice for certain songs than anything else. An exception to their rule. They also do some fun things with synths in their more sci-fi inspired albums, which always sounds nice. Recommend their albums Apex and Abyss, both concept albums, and Abyss being the sequel to Apex. imo those albums are some of their best work yet, but pretty much all of their discography is solid.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator

Listen to some Archenemy then, my friend. Metal supergroup started years ago, and the frontwoman does some damn good screams. Alternatively, if you want something that has that change in style from the frontwoman, Jinjer does a great job of that. Wonderful cleans interspersed with some downright wild screams, all from the same person. She does a wonderful job.

Alternatively, if you want more of the 'beauty and the beast' style, but done very well, Unleash the Archers is a (primarily) power metal band, with various members having backgrounds in death metal subgenres. Their frontwoman, Brittney Slayes, is all clean vocals, but she has an insanely powerful voice. Some of the guitarists occasionally interject with some more scream vocals, but it's done in a much more tasteful style of usually having the screams and the cleans be a dialogue between characters in the song. They even have a couple of songs where the backing vocalist does his own cleans, but that's usually more of a stylistic choice for certain songs than anything else. An exception to their rule. They also do some fun things with synths in their more sci-fi inspired albums, which always sounds nice. Recommend their albums Apex and Abyss, both concept albums, and Abyss being the sequel to Apex. imo those albums are some of their best work yet, but pretty much all of their discography is solid.

Thanks for the recommendations :thumb:

Arch Enemy is much more extreme than my current mood, I loved Apex but for whatever reason they went with much louder mix/master for Abyss.  Compared to other albums it's fine but you can't listen to both in a row without noticing so I never bought it.  Never listened to their older stuff either so will have to give that a go along with Jinjer.

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
A lot of '50-'70s bossa nova, samba, cassiopeia, and '70s-'80s Italian French and Japanese acid jazz funk. 

Leaving some soft bossa Getz and Gilberto on in the background all day just makes life better.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
After hearing that Daft Punk will no longer be making music (as a duo, at least... idk if they plan on doing solo projects or not), I have gotten a craving to listen to some of their music again. Probably just some hits more than an in-depth album listen-through, as their style of music is not exactly my favorite thing in the world. Still good though!

Other than that I have had Keep Quiet by The Protomen, from their album Act II: The Father of Death on repeat in my head all day and I may have to re-listen to parts of that album to get it to go away for a bit lol

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
I listen to ridiculous amounts of music. Almost non-stop. Definitely a music addict.

Many genres too. Rock, pop, punk, grunge, metal, electro, techno, and tons of film and video game soundtracks.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
I listen to ridiculous amounts of music. Almost non-stop. Definitely a music addict.

Many genres too. Rock, pop, punk, grunge, metal, electro, techno, and tons of film and video game soundtracks.

could have a neurotransmitter imbalance , and chryos is self medicating.

Also, chryos, if a bottle of chemicals say,  2.75% ammonium choloride,  does that mean by volume that's how much of it is in the bottle ?

It's this humidifier additive.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void

Variety is the spice of life! I tend towards the more rock, metal, and grunge side of things, but I am very much with you on listening to a variety of music. Especially with soundtracks! The soundtracks for Monster Hunter: World and Iceborne, for example, is an amazing showcase of orchestral music. Hades, BPM: Bullets Per Minute, No Straight Roads, and tons more are on my regular listening rotation.

Just wish ID would release the Doom Eternal soundtrack SOMEWHERE (Spotify, vinyl, CD, whatever) so I can add it to my collection. The music from that game is so good and every time I check for the soundtrack it's nowhere to be seen T_T

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro

A lot of '50-'70s bossa nova, samba, cassiopeia, and '70s-'80s Italian French and Japanese acid jazz funk. 

Leaving some soft bossa Getz and Gilberto on in the background all day just makes life better.

I love bossa nova so much! Absolutely agree on Getz and Gilberto.

Would take recs on the latter acid jazz funk genres :thumb:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
I keep reading that music affects mood and this thread is nicely varied so thought I'd ask here.

I don't like rap music because it's slow and there's little, if any, actual music.  I don't like dance because it's repetitive and every song has the same beat which means I tune most of it out and ignore it after about 10 seconds.  Pop music is also repetitive and the relationship/love centric lyrics make me depreesd if I put in the effort not to tune it out (being reminded that I'm missing out on a big part of life by avoiding them)  Classical is good but the slow, quiet and silent bits don't keep the legs moving on a cycle commute.

Mostly I listen to metal which avoids all of the above but surely there must be other options?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
I don't like rap music because it's slow and there's little, if any, actual music.  I don't like dance because it's repetitive and every song has the same beat which means I tune most of it out and ignore it after about 10 seconds.  Pop music is also repetitive and the relationship/love centric lyrics make me depreesd if I put in the effort not to tune it out (being reminded that I'm missing out on a big part of life by avoiding them)  Classical is good but the slow, quiet and silent bits don't keep the legs moving on a cycle commute.
You'll probably struggle if that's how you look at it. I used to be in the same boat; mostly listened to metal/rock, thought a lot of rap had no musicality, thought dance music was repetitive and boring, etc. I only came to think otherwise via gateways; singular tracks from the aforementioned genres which caught my attention, which then opened me up to a few more, and so on and so on. Now rap (especially grime, drill, and some of the more experimental American stuff) is among my most listened to, and repetitive dance music makes up the majority of my collection. Coming to understand that complexity and density doesn't reflect musicality or rather, training my ears to think that way, expanded my listening a lot; some of the most simple and silly tracks are some of my favourites. Energy and rhythm are what draw me to rap, not chord progressions. Repetition can be pretty powerful even outside of the club, it'll really put you in a trance if the track's right. Hell, don't you think a lot of metal's pretty repetitive?

Touching on what you said about pop music, you'll find a lot of people with similar thoughts gravitating towards rap and dance because of their instrumentality or because they touch directly on issues of mental health, depression, touch absence, etc.

You probably won't like them, but it's worth a shot. Fairly diverse assortment of things within rap/dance that you probably won't have come across or considered.

Repetitive dance with metal-ish sonics
Heavier than metal
Heavier than metal w/ rap
Reptition->trance, ex. 1
Reptition->trance, ex. 2
Repetition->trance, ex. 3
Unrepetitive dance, ex. 1
Unrepetitive dance, ex. 2
Reptitive beat, unrepetitive instrumentation
Aggression
Atypical rap, ex. 1
Atypical rap, ex. 2
Drill and trance meet
Particularly weird dancehall

Mostly I listen to metal which avoids all of the above but surely there must be other options?
Beyond that, I'd say look towards folk, punk, and experimental stuff. Hell, even dub might be up your alley. Too many genres to mention. I put stress on the dance/rap aspect because I've found that I've only really been able to appreciate a large quantity of genres since listening to things differently and thought you might be in a similar position.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 08:04:02 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

there must be other options?

Instrumental music in general and jazz in particular.

For starters try mid-1950s Miles Davis, hard to beat something like "Walking" (1954 album) for what you want.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 11:34:51 by fohat.digs »
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
I'm an old man born in a young man's body. My theory is that all music that came out before my birth in 1989 was good. All music after that, pretty much crap.

So I'm basically into dad music, Dire Striates, Dooby Brothers, Steely Dan, Daryl Hall and John Oats, Genesis, pretty much any good 80s pop and any 70s and 80s rock. Also Prince.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
My favourite kind of music to listen to is what most people in their 40s or 50s would listen to

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
I've recently started listening to a band called Defamed. They're a pretty hard deathcore group, so if you're not into some hard af screams and growls, give them a pass. If you're into deathcore, and want a band that plays well in that subgenre with some absolutely great breakdowns, give them a listen.

I've also been listening to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's new album, LW. It's a follow up to their last album, KG, and the first direct sequel to another album I can think of from them. Great listen so far, and if you're into experimental music that incorporates microtones give it a shot for sure.

Other than that I've just had TWRP on repeat again.