Author Topic: Reverse engineering an IBM System/40 typewriter keyboard  (Read 5989 times)

Offline hjalfi

Reverse engineering an IBM System/40 typewriter keyboard
« on: Wed, 01 February 2023, 16:25:24 »
I have this fantastic 1985 IBM 6770 System/40 Quietwriter. The keyboard is a proto-model-M with an actual screen on it. I would like to build a converter to use it as a modern keyboard (with proper screen support, of course!).

(I did this massive teardown and demo here:
)

Poking at the keyboard protocol with a logic analyser, it's... weird. I was expecting something like bidirectional AT, but it's not. All the data is expressed on a single wire (plus a reset line). It looks like the base station sends a high-frequency signal which either triggers the keyboard into reporting its state or announces to the keyboard that the base station is about to send. There's a constant stream of short packets, which suggests the protocol is polled. Here's a sample trace of one such packet:

295867-0

Just to make life even worse... none of the chips on the keyboard PCB are identifiable! I wonder if IBM has anonymised them? The fact that two chips have consecutive numbers despite being from different manufacturers suggests this.

295869-1

Before I start writing trying to figure out how this works from base principles, which I'm honestly not really looking forward to... does this look at all familiar to anyone?

(BTW: there's some more details on a superuser.com question here. https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/651458/what-is-this-single-wire-bidirectional-communications-protocol They weren't able to help.)

Offline fpazos

Re: Reverse engineering an IBM System/40 typewriter keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 February 2023, 16:30:27 »
Sorry but the only thing I understand here is Mexico, I hope you find someone that can help you. People in reddit /cyberdeck sometimes use old technology for projects.

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 February 2023, 14:23:30 »
Probably be easier to map out the matrix on the keyboard and make a new controller for it,not sure about getting the LCD working though.

Offline hjalfi

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 February 2023, 15:17:41 »
Probably be easier to map out the matrix on the keyboard and make a new controller for it,not sure about getting the LCD working though.

Probably, but I don't really want to destroy a perfectly good piece of vintage (and slightly rare) hardware...

Offline hjalfi

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 15:22:57 »
For completeness: I got this working, and can now use the keyboard (including the LCD attached to it) via USB! And it's completely non-destructive, too.

Offline fpazos

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 15:38:48 »
Nice work!!! I'm glad you finished it