Author Topic: Anyone watch Mad Men?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Anyone watch Mad Men?
« on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 02:01:15 »
I don't watch television at all, like not ever, but a coworker loaned me the first season of Mad Men and I think the writing and the acting is fantastic.

Offline bigpook

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 05:28:03 »
Same here,  I had the cable disconnected a couple of years ago. I do netflix though.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline lam47

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 05:43:24 »
WE LOVE IT!
Its a slow burner but now its my favourite program. Like you I dont watch a lot.
I enjoyed Jimmy Smits in Dexter and the Simpsons is fun but Mad Men is just dripping with quality.
It does make me want to smoke and drink though ;)
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline itlnstln

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 06:55:26 »
I will have to check it out.  The last TV series I really enjoyed was The Wire.  It is hands down the best TV series ever (IMO).

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 07:37:21 »
I watch quite a bit of TV.  I like 'House', 'Psych', 'Dexter', 'Bones', several Discovery Channel shows (Survivorman, Man v. Wild, MythBusters, Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs)...and I'm a reality tv junkie as well.  Not to mention NFL Sunday Ticket.  

We have DirecTV, basic cable, and a free-to-air dish that we use, primarily for home UND hockey games.

Offline itlnstln

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 07:40:20 »
I wish I had time for more TV.  I don't really care for the regular, broadcast stuff.  I tend to stay on PBS, the Discovery Channel (and its siblings), the History Channel, and ESPN.  I only watch regular broadcast TV for sports and 24.

Offline lam47

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 08:05:09 »
Discovery and National Geographic are great in HD.
Shame they keep repeating the same programs though.
My partner is a watcher for sure.
She likes all the US comedy shows like Raymond and King of Queens.
I feel a bit like I'm wasting time watching the TV. Not like posting on here and other forums, that's important work that is.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline itlnstln

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 08:10:59 »
(Discovery) HD Theater has been pissing me off lately.  They used to have so many great programs (I used to love the arts series from the BBC they used to have featuring operas, classical concerts, the Proms, etc.).  Now, all they show are programs about cars and motorcycles.  Like lam, I, too, feel that I am wasting time watching TV.  I usually do not watch during the day.  If it is nice outside, I usually go and play disc golf.  I usually only watch TV at night.

Offline lam47

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 17:33:46 »
It was which is a shame as there were some great ones.
Blink is the best episode I have seen I think.
But around the same time there were some other good ones.
Mark Gatis used to work with my brother and wrote a few of them.
He also named 2 characters in The League of Gentlemen after my mother and my brother!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 17:52:11 »
I watch a a lot of Blue's clues, Backyardagans and some Elmo. Since this is my daily viewing, I figured I might try and find something else more adult themed to watch. Almost everything else on cable sucks. I think I might have been out of the loop for too long to find television even tolerable anymore. I watch only the truely exceptional shows like Mad Men, Firefly and a few things for the Smithsonian and Discovery networks. The military network is cool too, but I am no soldier, so that could be the draw. Also, the internet and Netfilx have made me not like needing to be there sitting and waiting for start times inherent to TV. My wife watches TV all day, but I don't think she actually watches much — it's background noise to her.

And I wrote this post on the SMK88 with the Cherry blacks and I still think they rock.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 18:38:56 »
Firefly was good.  I like how they ended it...giving you no doubt that it was DONE (at least with the majority of the current cast).  

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles has Summer Glau from Firefly/Serenity.  However, that show really bites.

Offline billm

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 January 2009, 20:23:23 »
Mad Men is very well done. I enjoy it quite a bit and yet I find it to be a bit preachy and propagandistic. As if, from the "safe" side of the 60's revolution we can look back and shake our heads with pity at these poor, uptight, emotionally crippled fools. Don Draper is a straw man.

I would like to see a show like Mad Men that mocks the lives, choices, and small minded foibles of smug hollywood writers who write a show that mocks the lives of their fathers.
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline lam47

Anyone watch Mad Men?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 January 2009, 09:26:45 »
I personally have been watching it more as a show about the slow steady rise of Women's feelings of oppression in the home and workplace. And as far as propaganda goes I see very little that is not true to history.
Obviously its not the whole picture but then its not a history program but a drama.
Just my opinion.