Author Topic: Best mouse for both mmo and fps.  (Read 13933 times)

Offline jooks1184

Best mouse for both mmo and fps.
« on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 12:30:12 »
Hey everyone,

So I am in the market for a new gaming mouse. I have previously used a saitek rat 7 and currently use an old yet perfectly functional g5. The Rat 7 was a great mouse. I especially loved the side scroll wheel they had. The problem I had with the mouse is that the left click began to register multiple clicks with one click. It got really irritating so I just stopped using it. The G5 is a great mouse. I don't use any weights, but it feels good; i also lost the weights so no choice :p. The G5 is good but I really want to try another one and have the G5 as a backup.

So far I have been looking at the following mice:

Logitech g9x
       Corsair m60
       Razer naga hex
       Mionix naos 3200
       Razer Deathadder Black
       Rat 7 (maybe)
       CM Spawn (just because I've seen it mentioned around here)
       -also any other mouse you guys can recommend.

Here is what I am looking for in mouse:

-stable software
       -comfort - I mainly use a fingertip grip but also sometimes use a modified palm. I will post a pic of that later today.
       -reachable side buttons (also, having a little more than the 2 side buttons would be okay ; hence why I have the Naga Hex in the list).
       -durable build quality
       -

Questions:

- optical or laser?
      - is ~5000 dpi really necessary?

I mainly play Warcraft and MW3. Thanks for the help and can't wait for the feedback. Huzzah everyone.

Offline funxion

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 12:45:18 »
G9x is a solid mouse. I played MW3 competitively and it worked great for that, can't speak for it's use for Warcraft though.

Other than the G9x, I would check out the SteelSeries mice. I've only heard great things about them and if you're willing to try something a little more simplistic yet modern, it's worth a shot.

It fulfills everything you've stated above and it just feels right to me. I recommend hitting a Best Buy or an electronics store of the like and asking if you could get a feel for each mouse they have. I know my Best Buy carries Logitech, SteelSeries, and Razer products, so it's worth a shot!
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 12:53:33 »
I've heard mixed reviews about the steelseries mice. However, i might go to best buy and see if i can get a feel for it. The simplistic design of the steelseries mice is fine with me but I've heard people complain about the price to performance ratio.

Offline funxion

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 12:57:43 »
If you're really worried about price, use "PXE2012" when you go to checkout online and you'll get a 30% off discount.

I'm sure Best Buy would match the price if you print-screened your shopping cart at checkout with the code applied.
Filco Ninja MJ2 TKL

Offline sawedust

• Zealot Chef
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 13:30:05 »
Quote from: jooks1184;571586
I've heard mixed reviews about the steelseries mice. However, i might go to best buy and see if i can get a feel for it. The simplistic design of the steelseries mice is fine with me but I've heard people complain about the price to performance ratio.

SteelSeries mice have amazing form, but horrible sensors.  They market acceleration on their website like it's supposed to be beneficial, yet all PC gamers alike recognize and accept that acceleration is not what we want in a gaming mouse.

If you're looking for a fingertip grip mouse, only two mice that you've listed there should be options: the G9x and the CM Storm Spawn.  The G9x is the best laser option for your grip style.  Keep in mind that the 9500 sensor has built-in acceleration.  You're either going to love it, hate it, or don't even notice it's there.  Remove the grips, use a hard pad, and you're good to go.  The CM Storm Spawn (my mouse of choice) is more suitable to claw-grippers, but it could work as a fingertip-grip mouse.  It has problems with Mumble, TeamSpeak, and Ventrilo.  If you use any of these three programs, you are out of luck.  Otherwise, this fits all your preferences.

Optical or laser?  Depends on your preference.  I still use optical because of the better sensors.  Until they come out with a laser sensor that doesn't have tracking issues, I'll be sticking with optical.

Is 5000 DPI necessary?  Only if you have a huge display that requires it.  Most mice function the best around 1800-2000 DPI, and that's pretty much all you need.  Most FPS players range anywhere from 400 DPI - 2000 DPI since they use low sensitivity for accuracy.  To answer your question, my answer would be no.

Have fun. :)
find me on twitter: @sawedust
starcraft 2 related blog: QuanticSawe.851
QuanticGaming.com

Offline MWHMWHMWH

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 14:25:52 »
Personal preference is paramount for mice.  Not only does everyone have differently sized hands and fingers, they also hold the mouse differently, have varying skin textures, sit in their seat different, hold the mouse close or further away... any number of odd, subjective preferences regarding a device they use so much with a part of their body whose amount of nerve endings is outnumbered only by their genitals.  Speaking of which, condoms are actually kind of an apt comparison.

I can't recommend enough that you should go to a store that stocks as many of the items you're considering as possible and not only looking at them, not only having them un-boxed and being allowed to feel them up fetishistically (although I think it's safe to say that many people on this forum have unhealthy obsessions with objects) but if you really want to know what it will be like to use the mouse in the conditions you'll use it in, the only complete way would be to test them on your own computer.  A lot of places will refund products, even if they are entirely functional, if you return them within 30 days and don't damage them in any serious way.  If you don't want to go that route, ask them if you can sit in a chair (preferably one similar to your own) and use the mouse (AND it's included software) in a few different programs on a computer.

When they get customers that are eager to look at a large number of high-end peripherals, they'll often make you feel like a king.  Own it and let them throne you and perhaps provide a few MBs of space on their computers for your stay, as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 April 2012, 15:40:16 by MWHMWHMWH »

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 15:49:09 »
You sir seem like a spam/advertisement novelty account ^^'.

How much is paramount paying you?

Offline metafour

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 15:52:16 »
I have a used RAT7 that I bought from another member here. I never use it. Doesn't work all that well with my Hackintosh. The drivers crashed it so I had to remove them. Also, the sensor seems really sensitive. My subwoofer is on a lower part of my desk and whenever I play music the cursor bounces around as a result. My logitech G5 doesn't do that.

Offline MWHMWHMWH

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 April 2012, 16:14:05 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;575499
You sir seem like a spam/advertisement novelty account ^^'.

How much is paramount paying you?

Hahaha, no...

Just an artist.  : )

EDIT: @metafour: I tested out a R.A.T.5 yesterday and was truly expecting/hoping to like how it felt in my hand, at least after making all the adjustments you can make, right?? There's actually less ability to customize the R.A.T.5 than the R.A.T.7 and 9 though.  I'm still hanging on to the dream of a wireless M.M.O.9 that feels like a recliner for my hand.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 April 2012, 16:23:14 by MWHMWHMWH »

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 15:02:20 »
Quote from: sawedust;571615
SteelSeries mice have amazing form, but horrible sensors.  They market acceleration on their website like it's supposed to be beneficial, yet all PC gamers alike recognize and accept that acceleration is not what we want in a gaming mouse.

If you're looking for a fingertip grip mouse, only two mice that you've listed there should be options: the G9x and the CM Storm Spawn.  The G9x is the best laser option for your grip style.  Keep in mind that the 9500 sensor has built-in acceleration.  You're either going to love it, hate it, or don't even notice it's there.  Remove the grips, use a hard pad, and you're good to go.  The CM Storm Spawn (my mouse of choice) is more suitable to claw-grippers, but it could work as a fingertip-grip mouse.  It has problems with Mumble, TeamSpeak, and Ventrilo.  If you use any of these three programs, you are out of luck.  Otherwise, this fits all your preferences.

Optical or laser?  Depends on your preference.  I still use optical because of the better sensors.  Until they come out with a laser sensor that doesn't have tracking issues, I'll be sticking with optical.

Is 5000 DPI necessary?  Only if you have a huge display that requires it.  Most mice function the best around 1800-2000 DPI, and that's pretty much all you need.  Most FPS players range anywhere from 400 DPI - 2000 DPI since they use low sensitivity for accuracy.  To answer your question, my answer would be no.

Have fun. :)

This man knows what's up. Although there IS a bonus to having super high DPI. You see, you're not supposed to **** with sensitivity ANYWHERE BUT in the game. Google: Mouse 1:1. But, if you want to keep mouse 1:1 setting with 0 acceleration the only place to increase that sensitivity is through your DPI settings. By increasing the DPI you also increase the 'sensitivity'
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline Rinx7

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 15:59:20 »
I have a Sensei which I bought on a whim because it was $20 off on Bestbuy.com of all places. It feels excellent when used on a good mousepad since it has giant pads on the bottom it glides almost effortlessly and it is really comfortable. Steelseries does talk about the acceleration like it is a selling point which is dumb but, the software based acceleration is configurable and can be turned off making it compatible to the G9x since they both have the same sensor. It does have a setting though that turns down sensitivity when you move your mouse more slowly which actually can be really useful in FPS. Overall I really like mine since the ergonomics work better for my hand then the G9x, but I probably wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale.

Offline Omerta

• Reddit stole my ripster...
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 April 2012, 16:10:14 »
Quote from: Rinx7;577274
I have a Sensei which I bought on a whim because it was $20 off on Bestbuy.com of all places. It feels excellent when used on a good mousepad since it has giant pads on the bottom it glides almost effortlessly and it is really comfortable. Steelseries does talk about the acceleration like it is a selling point which is dumb but, the software based acceleration is configurable and can be turned off making it compatible to the G9x since they both have the same sensor. It does have a setting though that turns down sensitivity when you move your mouse more slowly which actually can be really useful in FPS. Overall I really like mine since the ergonomics work better for my hand then the G9x, but I probably wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale.

The g9x comes with a bunch of interchangeable hand grips that pretty much screams 'ergonomic'. The sad part is they used to have a "custom hand grip" maker on their website where you could put your own decals on a grip. I missed out on it sadly.

Alot of what the g9x has to offer also includes the logitech setpoint 2, which is some top top of the line mouse configuration software which includes tons of on the fly dpi control settings, LED color profiling, custom macros, and tons more. The mouse also has a rocker wheel, which can be tilted left for a button and right for a button. Then you can even macro the DPI up and down buttons to anything you want if you dont want on the fly. My DPI setting buttons are actually forward and back buttons for google chrome and my left side buttons are copy/paste, with left tilt on the scroll wheel as 'refresh' and right tilt is 'bookmark'

The mouse also has little interchangeable weights x4 3gram and x4 7gram which let you change the weight of your mouse [it even comes with a little G9x aluminum/felt weight case] not only that but there is also a switch on the bottom of the mouse that delocks the scroll wheel, so when you spin the wheel it rolls freely like spinning a bike wheel. The mouse just overall can't be beat by anyone as of right now and it just hits every spectrum on the market right in the nuts. I'm a huge mouse freak and used to love razer back in the day when they were good. I have 2 old razer diamondbacks[1 red, 1 blue transparent] which are over 8 years old and still work like brand new.

I know i sound like a fanboy but logitech really does have great products. It's a shame their keyboards aren't mech because they'd probably be great too. I have a G35, G9x, and z5500 5.1. All of which are pretty old, especially my z5500, and all of which still work like brand new.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 April 2012, 16:18:13 by Omerta »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind"

Happy Hacking Killer Kitty

Offline Anyguy4321

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 22:46:21 »
-stable software
-comfort - I mainly use a fingertip grip but also sometimes use a modified palm. I will post a pic of that later today.
-reachable side buttons (also, having a little more than the 2 side buttons would be okay ; hence why I have the Naga Hex in the list).
-durable build quality
-

Questions:

- optical or laser?
- is ~5000 dpi really necessary?

1)Stable software will be found on almost all of the mice you listed.
For fingertip/modified palm, I suggest Death Adder, G400, or Steelseries Sensei for ergonomics.  All can be used easily palm or with fingertouch.

2)For side buttons, I would not suggest more than two.  With proper software (i.e. Clique for WOW), with modifiers (ctrl or alt) you can triple the amount of buttons your mouse has effectively.  A normal mouse with 2 side buttons and a good click wheel (5th mouse button) will give you 15 buttons effective.  This is most commonly needed in MMO's.  Ergonomics and tactile feeling of the main 5 buttons should take precedence IMHO.

3)The most durable mice are probably logitech>steelseries>razer in that order.  Logitech has amazing warranty service bar none.  They sent me a replacement g700 for free simply because they had run out of stock for a few days when I registered for an RMA.

4)Optical is generally better than laser.  The only advantage of laser is that it has "higher" dpi and that DPI can be adjusted in smaller increments.  a) Having over 3500 DPI is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.  Most laser mice don't even have true sensitivites up to that point and use tricks like interpolation and other nonsense.  Also no pro gamer games at that high sensitivity.  RTS'ers stay aroudn 2000 DPI max.  FPS'ers game around 400 DPI.  

High DPI mice also tend to have tracking issues like jitter and acceleration.  The G9x, G700, and Steelseries sensei use a laser sensor that has acceleration issues.

Optical mice tend to have better tracking and maintain that tracking even at high velocities.

5) So no, 5000 DPI is not really necessary for anything.  It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.  The Razer Abyssus (their cheapest mice) is technically better than any other, more expensive mouse (except for the death adder which uses the same laser).

TLDR version: Pick an optical gaming mouse from a company you trust with good ergonomics and 5 buttons for MMO's and FPS'es.  The more expensive laser mice brothers are ok too (most casual gamers don't notice acceleration).  Most of all, pick something with good ergonomics for you.

Of all the mice you listed, I have owned/used all of them except the Mionix.  The only ones I have kept are the death adder and cm storm spawn (my g9x barely didn't make the cut).  Take what you will of that.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 23:44:00 »
Logitech > all other mice maker > a turd > Razer
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 00:04:36 »
Logitech G700 The Best of all round

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 04:46:26 »
Quote from: net2522;581464
Logitech G700 The Best of all round

I must agree its what brought me back to using a mouse

Offline MrPhil

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 21:23:26 »
I use a Naos 5000 at work and it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever used. The 3200 should have the same body too

At home i use a Cyborg RAT7 MMO which is not as comfortable but for MMO game it's awesome. I didn't like it at first but gave it a few days and now I'm really enjoying having access to so many buttons. I considered the Naga for a while but the whole keypad design on the side of the mouse never really made much sense for me personally. Alot of people seem to love it tho, so your mileage may vary

Offline MykB77

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 15:20:09 »
G700 +1  but I am also using a R.A.T. 9.

For optical, nod to MS X8 for larger hands.
BlueTrack is actually pretty good.

Offline jefferysanders

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 06:45:16 »
steelseries sensei nuff said

Offline onesie

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 09:09:40 »
My mx518's have never let me down, though i'd probably get a G400 if this ever dies. Agreed with earlier post that Razer mice sucks though the deathadder was ok.
Ducky 1087-brown/blue mix, Cherry Clears, mx11800 with ergo clears

Offline theOwlol

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 14:46:41 »
I can't say Im disappointed in my Razer naga, it's also quite handy if you have a tenkeyless, and don't have a separate numpad.

Offline MadCorpse

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 May 2012, 15:02:55 »
I just wanted to add that prediction is overhyped. Strenx is one of the top QL pros and his sponsors force him to use a kinzu. It's got angle snapping, although he still manages to play well at the highest level. Prediction won't hinder you in any way. Malfunction speed, perfect control, shape and weight are much more important factors when it comes to choosing a mouse.
The top Quake Live players stick to 400/450-800 DPI from what I've seen. The only thing that justifies >1000DPI in game would be high ass screen resolutions like 2600x1440 coupled with a low FOV or limited sensitivity options in-game.

Herman

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 May 2012, 04:52:23 »
Steelseries Sensei, it has a lot of features wich is AWSOME, read about it here http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei And the price dosen't seems so bad, I personally love the CPU function, so it remebers op to 5 profiles, and you donīt need to install drivers on computers to get the mouse working 100%, it does all the "driver stuff" on the mouse, you can even costumize the profiles on the mouse, with the little lcd on the back of the mouse, mabey  not necesarry, but definitely cool:)

Only negative in my opinion, the shape is not so comfortable.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 02:10:14 »
Quote from: jefferysanders;587984
steelseries sensei nuff said

Not gonna lie, just picked one of these up. This thing kicks serious ass. I can't wait for the RAW to release to get one for work.

Offline Skylit

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 17:30:32 »
Raw is a bit different internally. It's even made by a different OEM.

Only thing it shares is the A9500 sensor and basic shape.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 16:40:56 »
Sensei was a huge disappointment.

Firmware was messed up so I couldn't click and drag to highlight text, pull down scroll bars, or move windows.

Ambidextrous buttons are annoyingly obtrusive.

Software suite horribly buggy; does not allow all buttons to be remapped.

Not very comfy, IMO.

Mouse1 and 2 clicked "flimsily".

DPI can't be toggled from >5700 to <5700.

No horizontal scrolling w/ mousewheel

I went straight back to the G9x.

Really, optical is what I'd like to use due to the purity of tracking, but I need higher DPI for my purposes, and nothing fits my claw grip and large hands well enough.

Roccat has an enticing new mouse that can do optical, laser, or dual-sensor modes depending on the DPI setting--4000 being max for dual sensor mode and 6500 being the max for laser-only. Looks great, but is spoiled by the silly "Easy-Shift" button, which simply toggles the function of any or all other buttons while held down. It could be a nice feature, but it replaces one of the two standard side thumb buttons--I need at least two and would prefer four. As I understand, it is not remap-able either.

Can't wait till Logitech catches up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2012, 16:44:46 by dmbr »