Author Topic: So, Covid  (Read 19498 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
So, Covid
« on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 21:19:41 »
How screwed on are we ?    on a  1 to 100 scale.

+ 194,000 cases /Day (Whaaaa) ,   1000 Ded/Day

Last 7 day average + 137,207 cases/day

Offline jamster

Re: So, Covid
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 22:10:01 »
So happy not to be American.

We had six cases across a population of around 8M yesterday. My home country had less.

Pretty much the rest of the world is looking at the US these days with a continual WTF?! expression.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 03:44:41 »
I don't know how much fatter the US population is than ours but looking at our stats the cases keep rising while the deaths don't keep pace - it's like most people who are volunerable died straight away and I wouldn't be surprised if many of the recent deaths were asymptomatic people who wrecked their cars or whatever after they recovered ("tested positive for covid and died within 28 days" is the questionable stat we're given, not "died of covid")

With increased testing (you are at least doing some, I hope?) you're going to get bigger numbers which may not mean anything long term if most cases are asymptomatic.  That said 1 in 200 dead doesn't sound good...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 14:18:26 »
How screwed on are we ?    on a  1 to 100 scale.

+ 194,000 cases /Day (Whaaaa) ,   1000 Ded/Day

Last 7 day average + 137,207 cases/day

Show Image

If you’re in America - 100

If you’re in a bunker - 60

If you’re in Canada - 10

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 15:50:01 »
At this point I disinfect every package and letter I get through the post. I do the same with watches handed to me by customers after they have left (just don’t do it while they are watching). Won’t work on them anymore before I disinfected them. I also now wear full rubber gloves when working on watches, not just finger cots. I usually discard them after a watch or two is done.

FFP2 or 3 mask is always worn when interacting with customers, I take it off once im alone.

I also will not order any food, and I dont like to eat at restaurants anyway (unless its with family). I cook at home.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2020, 15:53:05 by Olumin »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 17:47:45 »
Gonna be a rough Winter. Again.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 23:28:04 »
Still all parties and sunshine here.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 23:30:22 »
Still all parties and sunshine here.

reasonably sure we gon'die.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 23:43:07 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:35:32 »
Tp4 paged his math-guy,

According to math-guy, It's possible that US reaches 200-300k cases per day, we're gonna blow through the 300k deaths in no time, Half Million deaths easily possible.

Forget the economy, this is a threat to critical infrastructure.

Best (Worst) plan
, damn the side-effects, martial law, vaccinate everyone immediately.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:50:26 »
I mean we do need to thin the population here stateside in more way than one - this is just faster than removing all of the warning labels.  I can say I will definitely not be the first to get vaccinated - seen too many movies to know how that plays out.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 10:54:16 »
I mean we do need to thin the population here stateside in more way than one - this is just faster than removing all of the warning labels.  I can say I will definitely not be the first to get vaccinated - seen too many movies to know how that plays out.

Totally agree there is a risk, However,

The repooplicans already put us in a no-good-options scenario.

Imagine n00k plants blown'  or dams bursting/  failed water treatment

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:28:34 »
I know a few people in the d.o.e and they have pretty good procedures in case the **** hits the fan and regarding covid, they have contact tracing in place and people get notifications if/when someone even gets a test. While I don't think this is going to do much to ease the mind of Tp4 I don't think we're going to let America fall, it might get messy but we're a pretty resilient country.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 12:47:37 »
We have the same tracing in effect here in the warehouse I work out of due to certain contracts we deal with force the company to do so, which I like it that way since it keeps the company paying attention to what is going on outside of the office side.  I tend to pay attention to my teams due to this and keep them in the loop even if I'm advised to keep silent - rather them have the knowledge than to cause a panic due to mis-information. 
As I said before if it hits the fan I'll just go to the family's farm/hunting property and hunker down.

Offline yui

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 01:27:22 »
I know a few people in the d.o.e and they have pretty good procedures in case the **** hits the fan and regarding covid, they have contact tracing in place and people get notifications if/when someone even gets a test. While I don't think this is going to do much to ease the mind of Tp4 I don't think we're going to let America fall, it might get messy but we're a pretty resilient country.
you know that america does not contain the whole of humanity, right? humanity is much bigger than that. who cares if only the US falls to covid, this is the whole of humankind that is at risk here... how can you be that blind to the rest of the world?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline jamster

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 02:25:17 »
you know that america does not contain the whole of humanity, right? humanity is much bigger than that. who cares if only the US falls to covid, this is the whole of humankind that is at risk here... how can you be that blind to the rest of the world?

If there's anything this covid cluster**** has shown the world, it is exactly that the country is blind to anything outside its borders. There have been other countries that have done incredibly well with dealing with this- some of them are rich (Australia and New Zealand), some of them are middle income but smack bang right next to the source of the outbreak (Taiwan, South Korea), some of them are dirt poor yet have done incredibly well (Vietnam*). Yet it seems that within the US there are idiots who constantly scream that mask usage and travel restrictions are evil or ineffective. Or that it's a liberal hoax, yet ignoring that countries all over the world have been hit hard and are reacting seriously.

But really, this is nothing new. The same arguments swirl around with other broken facets of the country. Nationalised health systems and gun control are the obvious ones. They work better practically anywhere else in the first world, but in the US the same arguments go around and around as if the rest of the world and better examples don't exist.

I've got family ties into the US, and one of my uncles is supposed to be moving there to rejoin his family out in the midwest. He is so dreading the move, and is happy that the immigration process has been frozen for the past half a year. It's all a big ball of bat**** crazy as far as anyone outside the country can tell.

* Vietnam, last time I checked back in August, had ZERO covid deaths in the entire country. There was one westerner who'd been in a coma due to covid for months, and the medical system was fighting to keep him alive as a point of national pride. He recovered. This zero figure was not down to dodgy statistics like in some of the failed states around the world, it was because the government and medical systems went into overdrive early to deal with it, they are paranoid about pandemics in that part of the world. My home country has had 900 deaths across 25M people, and 800 of those were due to one screwup by one state, so the rest of the states together have around a hundred between them. The Philippines, a third world country full of poverty and bad sanitation, and a population of a hundred milllion spread across some unmanagable land mass, has had less than eight thousand deaths... and at last count the US is climbing past two hundred thousand deaths. This is just insane.

Apologies for the rant. Trying not to pay attention to US news these days as it's so infuriating, but it's impossible to ignore completely.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2020, 02:44:12 by jamster »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 09:15:01 »
Just imagine how infuriating it is to live in the US and dealing with the mouth-breathers that refuse to just wear a mask.  every day I see it and it drives me nuts, I just chalk it up to it being the price of admission to a location that I have to go to.  So far my family and extended family have been on the same page as myself and wear masks, sanitize when necessary, and only go out when needed to avoid risk where possible.  The US Government and state government where I am in GA have completely fubared this.  I don't get why they didn't look to other countries' plans and just emulate that (I know why they didn't but we're far beyond that point now).  I have a feeling a big change is going to be happening soon, but of course not soon enough once the change of power in the Presidential office happens (why I say it's not going to be soon enough).  In my case working in IT deployment with certain contracts w/ Govt agencies here stateside and abroad my work has been deemed essential so my routine will not see a change - in all of this nothing has changed other than wearing a mask when I'm out, as I tend to just go to work during the days I have to and stay home since I find no reason to venture out unless I need something at a store.  In the end the US has pretty much just become a bad reality TV show when it comes to this.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 11:57:35 »
Non-US but related, heard it suggested on the radio that in the UK Christmas may be 'as normal' with restrictions resuming in January.  You can't go to church at the moment and I'm sure other religions have had important festivals effectively cancelled during lockdown so why isn't Christmas cancelled?  Mass gatherings with extended family (read: old people), sitting more people at a table than it was made for while eating sounds like a great idea, not to mention handling presents :confused:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fanpeople

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:33:17 »
Aussie Man might be a competitor to Florida Man  :))

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 12:45:01 »
Oh we doing home grown moron hour? Just going to leave this here....

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/two-best-friends-get-married-to-bypass-coronavirus-restrictions-for-formal-afterparty/news-story/57fa29f17282af1d914993252db41af6
Not sure whether to applaud the ingenuity of the teenagers or mock the stupidity of the restriction exemption rulemakers...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 18:26:32 »
seen too many movies to know how that plays out.

How's it gonna play out

Resident Evil

or

I am Legend

or

Book of Eli

or

Children of man

or

Madmax fury road

Offline yui

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 01:06:05 »
Just imagine how infuriating it is to live in the US and dealing with the mouth-breathers that refuse to just wear a mask.
if it only came to me those peoples would be treated as bio-terrorists guess you all are lucky i am not in charge :)
Oh we doing home grown moron hour? Just going to leave this here....

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/two-best-friends-get-married-to-bypass-coronavirus-restrictions-for-formal-afterparty/news-story/57fa29f17282af1d914993252db41af6
human stupidity in full display, why even are marriage tolerated?

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 04:13:40 »

How's it gonna play out

I'd prefer Mad Max Fury Road. At least it had that nice guitar truck.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:30:06 »
seen too many movies to know how that plays out.

How's it gonna play out

Resident Evil

or

I am Legend

or

Book of Eli

or

Children of man

or

Madmax fury road

I'm leaning towards more Walking Dead and I am Legend types of scenarios.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 10:08:51 »
I'm leaning towards more Walking Dead and I am Legend types of scenarios.

Tp4 loves movies which display canned food stuffs.

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 14:58:12 »
NYC was absolute hell last Spring, and the hospitals are filling up again. I'm spending this month prepping for another shutdown.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:02:20 »
NYC was absolute hell last Spring, and the hospitals are filling up again. I'm spending this month prepping for another shutdown.

You know how, at some point using the internet, we come to the soft-conclusion that just about everyone online is an idiot.

Well, turns out, it's 70 Million confirmed idiot ADULTS, loosely assume that's half of online encounters.  The other half is not so smart either.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:41:25 »
Ever notice how the people considered essential workers are also the lowest paid and at the highest risk? A pat on the back and a prayer is all you need to protect yourself apparently.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:45:02 »
Ever notice how the people considered essential workers are also the lowest paid and at the highest risk? A pat on the back and a prayer is all you need to protect yourself apparently.

I really wish we treated essential workers now, with the same respect we did at the beginning of the pandemic. People were cheering, food was sent to them and it really seemed that people gave a ****. Now, I feel like no one gives a **** and just expects them to put themselves at risk. It's a shame..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 22:46:40 »
That timberlake movie, -In Time-,

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:10:21 »
I'm astonished when I talk to friends and family lately.  They're talking about how it's "bad" again and they're worried about having to stay home again.  AGAIN?  ****, my whole goddamn family has been at home since late January.  The **** y'all been doing?  I seriously haven't been inside a store since... actually I don't know.  Probably not since late February.  It's not hard at all.  In fact, it's extremely easy to pick up groceries and essentials curb side or have them delievered. 

Offline donny_pete

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:15:58 »
The way things are being handled rn is pretty ridiculous lol

There's still people that believe COVID is a hoax...

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:18:37 »
I'm astonished when I talk to friends and family lately.  They're talking about how it's "bad" again and they're worried about having to stay home again.  AGAIN?  ****, my whole goddamn family has been at home since late January.  The **** y'all been doing?  I seriously haven't been inside a store since... actually I don't know.  Probably not since late February.  It's not hard at all.  In fact, it's extremely easy to pick up groceries and essentials curb side or have them delievered. 

For a while my wife and I thought we were the only ones taking this thing seriously. We'd see our friends doing **** on FB all the time and getting together going on hikes with a ton of other people on the trail while we were staying inside, ordering groceries and wiping down everything with spray bleach or wipes or whatever we could do to sanitize. I know some people are afraid of being told what to do and what that can lead to, but I'm all for keeping other people safe, especially if it's as easy as wearing a mask (if you have to go out) and/or just staying home and hunkering down. Since it's round 2 I feel like the first time was wasted effort (I know it wasn't), I just hope people take this **** more serious.

I don't think they know what exponential growth is and how fast this can get out of hand (more than it is) and overwhelm more than just hospitals.

Be safe out there..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:25:38 »

It is exponentially more difficult for people in lower economic situations. Not having a vehicle forces you to use public transportation and forces you to physically enter a store to shop usually. Not being able to work remote, many times pushed into retail situations dealing with countless numbers of strangers. Living in more densely populated places and buildings with neighbors who may not be as vigilant as you are.
It's almost as if this virus were designed to kill off a large swath of poor people.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 23:29:46 »

It is exponentially more difficult for people in lower economic situations. Not having a vehicle forces you to use public transportation and forces you to physically enter a store to shop usually. Not being able to work remote, many times pushed into retail situations dealing with countless numbers of strangers. Living in more densely populated places and buildings with neighbors who may not be as vigilant as you are.
It's almost as if this virus were designed to kill off a large swath of poor people.

That sounds like the start of a conspiracy theory, are you trying to tell us that you know where and why covid-19 started.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 00:11:11 »
I don't think they know what exponential growth is and how fast this can get out of hand (more than it is) and overwhelm more than just hospitals.

I don't think these people know what anything is.  Forget math. The depth of their world comprehension is cocacola good, water bad.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 08:06:27 »

I seriously haven't been inside a store since... actually I don't know. 

I am being very careful but life does need to go on. Going to stores is about the only thing that I do do on a semi-regular basis. Add to that I just moved into a different house that needed work so I had to hire various tradespeople for work that I had done before moving in. Today is the day I plan to get the last of the stuff from the old house.

After all this flurry of activity I will probably be practically a hermit for at least a month.

Understanding the transmission process allows you to formulate workarounds. I have donated blood twice during the pandemic, and the technicians feel confident that blood does not transmit it. I feel pretty safe outside since sunlight and breeze pretty much negate spread by killing and diffusing it. And last, the virus viability in the wild is measured in hours, so last week basically becomes ancient history.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 09:01:36 »
I feel pretty safe outside since sunlight and breeze pretty much negate spread by killing and diffusing it. And last, the virus viability in the wild is measured in hours, so last week basically becomes ancient history.

It takes HOURS to kill in the sun.  The Breeze dilutes the viral load per unit air volume, it does not kill. Now being winter, air is also natural refrigerant.

The important thing is Calibrated TVs.

Offline yui

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 12:40:03 »
The Breeze dilutes the viral load per unit air volume, it does not kill. Now being winter, air is also natural refrigerant.
[/size][/color]
well yeah, you need a "critical mass" of virus for it to become infectious so the more dilute it is the better and colder makes it less virulent but also survive longer, unless it freezes, at which point the air becomes much drier and kills it faster. and UVs will damage it but not much as we do not get the instant cancer UV-C on earth.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 21:48:01 »

I really wish we treated essential workers now, with the same respect we did at the beginning of the pandemic. People were cheering, food was sent to them and it really seemed that people gave a ****. Now, I feel like no one gives a **** and just expects them to put themselves at risk. It's a shame..
When this is all over nurses will.
It will be a booming industry, hospitals were already struggling to get enough and once this is over and they feel they can leave without leaving everyone in a crunch expect a BUNCH to exit the industry driving wages through the roof...

At least for a time.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 23:34:35 »
Gekhrs will prolly be ok,  But, these rural red states nubmers, OMG, it's gonna be banananas.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 23:42:15 »
I had to take a horrible job at a grocery store in a low income area making minimum wage. Starting next week. Super bummed this is happening :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 00:11:13 »

Mask NT, also practice not touching face, it's actually a pretty deep habit.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 09:49:19 »
3000+ Ded / day

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 10:33:59 »
We had an entire 9/11 yesterday in the states.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:28:52 »
Apparently we have a vaccine - yesterday's news said "great", today's is an American (of all places) scientist saying we're jumping on it too quickly.  And it's not compulsory.

Will be interesting to see if the injection comes with a free forehead tattoo entitling you to not wear a mask or what.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:32:57 »
Apparently we have a vaccine - yesterday's news said "great", today's is an American (of all places) scientist saying we're jumping on it too quickly.  And it's not compulsory.

Will be interesting to see if the injection comes with a free forehead tattoo entitling you to not wear a mask or what.

70million diaperdon voters is 1 in 3 adults,  this is far from over.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 18:17:48 »

70million diaperdon voters is 1 in 3 adults,  this is far from over.

If anything it is worse than ever. Thanksgiving brought out the stupids in droves.