Author Topic: Help with customizing a project  (Read 1856 times)

Offline blackthoughtz

Help with customizing a project
« on: Thu, 21 December 2023, 18:35:59 »
I need some direction pointing, everything is a bit overwhelming for me around here. So, I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction.

I have a wooting 60 he in a fjell case. My current keyboard dream is to recreate this quality in this project from louwii https://github.com/LouWii/ErgoMax

The adjustments I'd like to make seem simple but I'm not well versed in any of it but willing to learn. I'd like to experiment with 2u columns and add other custom keyboard flairs.

I'd like to have it plate mounted with some stabs, try out gasket mounting and other things.

The goal is to start basic with a bunch of 3d printed samples to test out what I like, and then I believe pcbway can do the aluminum version when it's finalized.

To those who have tried this type of thing, does this plan seem solid? I know it will be time consuming and expensive but I type all day for work and I'm tired of waiting for someone else to make what I want.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Help with customizing a project
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 December 2023, 21:10:31 »
The adjustments I'd like to make seem simple but I'm not well versed in any of it but willing to learn. I'd like to experiment with 2u columns and add other custom keyboard flairs.

I'd like to have it plate mounted with some stabs, try out gasket mounting and other things.
Why do you need stabs, on such small keys they aren't necessary but it's an easy change.

As for gasket, that's not an easy change.
That is a plate/layer case, it's designed for 2d manufacturing and not designed for 3rd dimensional movement and manufacturing. The latter is easy to fix, most slicing software can convert a 2d file to 3d but the gasket requires an entirely different plate mounting system for, well, everything, it also needs to account for movement of pretty much every component inside the case. That case is doing all it can to be stiff and the switches are actually a part of the case structure. Basically the only part you'll be using is the layout (maaaybe plate and pcb) and then fabbing an entire case around those two (floating) components.

Sounds like you don't know cad, And likely don't own a 3d printer... That's two pretty large learning curves before you get this case how you expect. And don't forget you'd need custom firmware once you add any extra keys, so that too. It's not impossible, all of it is well documented, you can learn cad in a weekend if you REALLY try. Can you learn enough to pull this off in a weekend? No. The formware you can also learn in a weekend. What will hold you up the most is the printer, this wouldn't be a small print for most printers and printers are known to be fickle and time consuming and it gets worse the larger the object. Paying someone can run up costs FAST and exceed the cost of a printer if you need multiple revisions (and you will) but getting good enough on a printer you buy to do this on your own will take time and money (for plastic and electricity).  And if you do have printer you can get caught in revision hell... If I change this it will print better, now I just need to tweak this, okay now that other setting is wrong, oh but I know another way. Print fail. Missed a screw. Oops that rubs.  "One last change" 5 revisions and 3 prints later "I hate this" and need to revert.. but I still need to fix that one thing... From the time you thought you were "done" you've made 150 small revisions and printed enough parts to fill a small trash bin and still not happy with it because you know it could be better.

Bottom line, if you have to ask, it's not a weekend project or even a week long project, this is going to require months and probably a couple hundred of dollars to accomplish*. It's totally doable, just not simple.

*3d Printing is cheap, but only if you own the printer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fpazos

Re: Help with customizing a project
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 December 2023, 01:18:15 »
Hi!

If you are really commited to do this then one step at a time. I would recommend to start doing a macropad/numpad as it will be a good learning project. It is smaller and easier and will be a good  testing bench for your ideas, on the other hand is big enough to try how well will work your ideas (not the cnc part).

Also one consideration, designing for 3d printing isn't the same as designing for CNC aluminium, I don't know the details either of the cnc part but each have their how limitations, tolerances, etc.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk