Author Topic: White keycaps for my Race??  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Stratagem

White keycaps for my Race??
« on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 17:32:03 »
Awhile back I got one of the Race keyboards from the group buy. Black with green LEDs... I'm thinking about replacing some of the keys with white caps. Anyone have suggestions on decent quality caps?

I'd like to see a race keyboard with a black base and white caps if anyone has a pic? I did a google search but I only found stock pics. I'd like to see something people actually use.

Offline Linkbane

Re: White keycaps for my Race??
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:30:29 »
Banggood sells an 84-key set of medium-thick blank white PBT caps for $17.00 and free shipping anywhere in the world, $1.70 if you want tracking. Takes about three weeks for it to get in.
Otherwise, if you have lots of money, you could get the really thick imsto caps from feng on ebay, but they're really overpriced in my opinion, because you can get Vortex double-shot thick PBT keycaps (the only maker I know of besides Deck) for a paltry $33 from the group buy or a little under $40 from MechKB if you live down under.

If you want backlighting, you'd probably be best sticking with Ducky Shine white keycaps, which are laser etched like pretty much all backlit-compatible keycaps.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Stratagem

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:52:02 »
I definitely would like the letters to illuminate (backlight?). Those keycaps are $50 though.. Didn't think they would be that much. ;)

If I can't find anything better I'll pick them up.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 18:54:05 »
The ducky shine caps will not fit all of your keys. Unfortunately, the race has a strange layout that makes replacement set very difficult if not impossible to find. Your best bet is to try to buy the keys from somebody that got one of the Race LE's, but that too is kind of rare.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 19:01:29 »
I definitely would like the letters to illuminate (backlight?). Those keycaps are $50 though.. Didn't think they would be that much. ;)

If I can't find anything better I'll pick them up.

Yep, those keys are pretty pricey. Another alternative would be Max Keyboard, who sell translucent keycaps which display backlighting much more than regular keycaps. They sell a 124-key set which will fit any standard ISO or ANSI board, with converters for both. It's $40, so not much cheaper, but they do have almost every permutation you could ask for included in front/top print versions.
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/keyboard-parts/key-cap/full-keycap-sets.html

The ducky shine caps will not fit all of your keys. Unfortunately, the race has a strange layout that makes replacement set very difficult if not impossible to find. Your best bet is to try to buy the keys from somebody that got one of the Race LE's, but that too is kind of rare.

Didn't know that. You would be able to replace most of your keycaps, but perhaps some of the modifiers will not fit. The Max set does have a 6/6.25/6.5 spacebar at least, so that should fit the Race, which looks like it has a 6x.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 20:34:07 »
Here is a sizing chart for the Race!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33482.msg629996