Author Topic: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keycaps / General Keycap questions  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Keytrun

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keycaps / General Keycap questions
« on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 00:40:55 »
I've been trying to figure out what board to get and I've been under the assumption that, no matter what board it is, I'll be replacing the keycaps. I haven't found any decent boards that come with the PBT heavy caps and at this point I'm still trying to determine whether or not double shot ABS is better than the thick PBT, or vise versa (please - I'd love your input on the matter). I've read a lot of posts where people talk about the keys wearing down, or maybe the lettering wearing off. Can someone give me some details on that? I have a blackwidow ultimate and the keys have their symbols literally carved into them - so there's no way they'd wear off. Its like there's the solid plastic cap and the lettering carved on top so that the light can shine through. Does anyone know if these are double shot? Or are they just standard? They have a nice smooth feel to them, and I can't really feel much in terms of a coating that could potentially rub off. For whatever keyboard I get (still really confused on which one to get) I'd like to try and get a really solid set of keycaps. I love the idea of getting a backlit keyboard, but you can't really do PBT with backlighting can you? What about doubleshot abs? Does anyone know of a TKL board that comes with the heavy PBT? When looking at keycaps, how do I even know which ones to get assuming I find what looks good to me and something in the material I want. Aren't there also a ton of other parameters I have to deal with? Will all keycaps that require stabilizers be compatible with mx or costar fittings? Don't keys that go into a mx stabilizer have different bottoms than those that would go into a costar one? I'm super overwhelmed. I originally thought I would just get the shine 3 TKL now that its finally becoming available, but then I read about the mx stabilizers and I'm not sure I want to risk that, when i know I like the costar ones of my blackwidow. Any advice would be great - Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Keycaps / General Keycap questions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:02:09 »
There's a fair bit of overlap between your two threads: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50369.0

People have answered, or provided resources to answer, most of your queries.

Ducky has Cherry stabilisers, and this is discussed in your other thread.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:17:52 »
What about the questions on the razer keycaps? I understand there is some overlap but this is more focused on the keycaps. I apologize if I'm being redundant.

One of my biggest questions is about the stabilizers. The cap on the left side - that won't work with a keyboard that doesn't use mx stabilizers. Of all of the keycaps I've looked at I've never seen any mention of the stabilizers in the description / purchase information. How do I know if they'll be set up for costar (which is what I'm planning on getting)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2013, 01:31:46 by Keytrun »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 03:41:07 »
What about the questions on the razer keycaps? I understand there is some overlap but this is more focused on the keycaps. I apologize if I'm being redundant.

One of my biggest questions is about the stabilizers. The cap on the left side - that won't work with a keyboard that doesn't use mx stabilizers. Of all of the keycaps I've looked at I've never seen any mention of the stabilizers in the description / purchase information. How do I know if they'll be set up for costar (which is what I'm planning on getting)
Show Image

MX stabilisers come in two flavours - Cherry (where the stabiliser bar is underneath the plate and you have an MX switch in the middle and two MX switch-like things either side.  The keycap (e.g. as you have shown) sits equally on the switch and both other bits.

Costar stabilisers have the stabiliser bar above the plate, and a small separate plastic insert that you manually place in the hole on either side under the keycap, and then hook the stabiliser wire over one and then the other, before finally pushing the centre socket down on the switch.

Keycaps that fit one will fit the other.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 08:46:51 »
MX keycap is MX keycap. They will fit all MX keyboard assuming the sizes are available. If you know you will be replacing keycaps right off, then you want to avoid keyboards that use odd sizes of keycap. Certain keyboards are very hard or impossible to get complete coverage on in aftermarket keycap set or sourcing from vintage. You will have the easiest time and best selection if you choose keyboard that has 1.25 ctrl, alt, win, menu and 6.25 spacebar. Especially avoid keyboard that have other size spacebar than 6.25 or 7 like CM TK, Corsair, Noppoo Choc mini, iOne (Razer, Max, Tessoro, CM Pro, etc.) as they are not offered at all.

You can use regular keycap on backlight keyboard. Personally I think it looks nicer...

like that with Cherry doubleshot.

Offline catnipz0098

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 16:04:28 »
MX keycap is MX keycap. They will fit all MX keyboard assuming the sizes are available. If you know you will be replacing keycaps right off, then you want to avoid keyboards that use odd sizes of keycap. Certain keyboards are very hard or impossible to get complete coverage on in aftermarket keycap set or sourcing from vintage. You will have the easiest time and best selection if you choose keyboard that has 1.25 ctrl, alt, win, menu and 6.25 spacebar. Especially avoid keyboard that have other size spacebar than 6.25 or 7 like CM TK, Corsair, Noppoo Choc mini, iOne (Razer, Max, Tessoro, CM Pro, etc.) as they are not offered at all.

You can use regular keycap on backlight keyboard. Personally I think it looks nicer...
Show Image

like that with Cherry doubleshot.

How would that look like if two colors next to each other were different? Would the colors start to blend together?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:19:00 »
Yep
there is someone that did some multicolor led mods in the pictures forum someplace.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:21:40 by IvanIvanovich »