Author Topic: New keycaps.. Backspace bottoms out fast.  (Read 4489 times)

Offline stancato9

New keycaps.. Backspace bottoms out fast.
« on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:31:59 »
Just got a set of keycaps from banggood.. white pbt. First off the spacebar is extremely bent to the point where it is very gritty and completely ruins the feel of my MX reds.

Also, the backspace keycap seems to make the key bottom out very soon. It travels less and bottoms out before all the other keys. When I switch the keycap it is fine. It is also super clunky and hard to press unlike any other of the keys with stabilizers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: New keycaps.. Backspace bottoms out fast.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:53:33 »
What stabilizers are you using them with?

Sometimes pbt can warp a little.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:57:39 »
Cherry stabs. Yeah I know the spacebar is warped, I can see it really clearly but the issue with the backspace is really confusing me.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:06:13 »
Maybe the backspace is a little warped also?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:28:06 »
It looks pretty good to me. When I set it down on the table all 4 corners are touching. If it is warped did I waste money? What can I do really
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:32:31 »
It looks pretty good to me. When I set it down on the table all 4 corners are touching. If it is warped did I waste money? What can I do really
You can fix a warped keycap pretty easy.  You can heat up the keycap by putting it into hot water or use a hair dryer to heat it up.  After you heat it up, put some heavy stuff on it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:40:42 »
Bent PBT space bar is fairly common.  As jonathanyu suggested, put it on a completely flat surface, heat it a little with a hair dryer, then put a heavy book on it for a while.

For the backspace, are the stems in the right place?  Sounds like one or two might be off-centre or bent.  Look underneath and compare with the old backspace.  Even half a millimetre would make a difference.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline stancato9

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:47:05 »
I will try that. And yes, the stems look like they match up fine with the old backspace. To add to it, it's quite hard to push the backspace key on. It feels like its grinding.

I also just tried a Filco OEM backspace key and it appears to have the same problem. But the Poker 2 default keycap and a QFR backspace are okay. Weird.

Actually, they all don't feel completely right, though the two I mentioned are a lot better than the others. Could it be a problem with the stabilizer itself?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline stancato9

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 00:02:14 »
I just tested the switch with Canadian nickels and it took 16 to actuate it. Weighing 3.95g each, that's a total of 63.2g for a cherry mx red switch.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline stancato9

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 00:09:41 »
Compared to 39.5g to actuate the "A" key and 35.55g for the spacebar.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 03:32:53 »
Just got a set of keycaps from banggood.. white pbt. First off the spacebar is extremely bent to the point where it is very gritty and completely ruins the feel of my MX reds.

Also, the backspace keycap seems to make the key bottom out very soon. It travels less and bottoms out before all the other keys. When I switch the keycap it is fine. It is also super clunky and hard to press unlike any other of the keys with stabilizers. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?

Got mine today also. The backspace does have a very distinct clack which can be disturbing. My spacebar has no problem, though.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 04:08:25 »
60+g to actuate an MX red does not sound right.

Can you try a 1x keycaps on the backspace switch and see how much that needs to actuate.

If it is around 40-45 then there is a problem with the stabilisers.

If it is still 60+, then it is a problem with that switch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline stancato9

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 13:13:09 »

Can you try a 1x keycaps on the backspace switch and see how much that needs to actuate.

I can't get a 1x1 on because the stabs block it.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 18:01:27 »

I can't get a 1x1 on because the stabs block it.

Can you sacrifice an old 1x keycap (this is where having a Crap Bag comes in handy) and shave the sides off?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 18:52:47 »
Unfortunately I don't but the switch feels perfectly fine when I depress it with my finger.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:21:34 »
Unfortunately I don't but the switch feels perfectly fine when I depress it with my finger.

Sounds more and more like a broken or misaligned stabiliser.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:33:27 »
I'll probably just buy another stabilizer and switch it out although I've never soldered in my life.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:50:28 »
if the stock caps work I highly doubt its broken

Offline stancato9

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 19:55:32 »
Well like I said above the stock caps work better than my new ones, but it has always felt very stiff as opposed to the other keys.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:27:03 »
Did you test the actuation point with the stock keycap on?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:42:51 »
Just did 51 grams. Which is still a lot higher than the other keys with stabs. Not is it just harder to press but it doesnt feel smooth at all.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 20:51:30 »
Lube?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 21:12:58 »
Did you have a hard time getting the backspace key off originally?

Offline stancato9

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 23:17:08 »
Nope.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 23:36:25 »
Sounds to me like the switch or stabilisers are not in properly or are damaged, and that some keycaps have a greater tolerance of the misaligment than others.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 10:39:05 »
I will guess the wire has become unseated slightly on one side of the stabilizer. You should be able to get it back in with a tiny screwdriver or something to push it back in place. When it's out of correct position it will cause much more friction or binding.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 22:15:29 »
Like some of you suggested, I heated the spacebar with hot water and put it under a weight and now it is straight length-wise, it is all messed up. The weight pushed the sides out.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 22:24:19 »
Like some of you suggested, I heated the spacebar with hot water and put it under a weight and now it is straight length-wise, it is all messed up. The weight pushed the sides out.

Perhaps a little too much weight was applied.  Oops.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 22:40:35 »
Yeah, figures. Oh well. I am contacting banggood for a refund or something. But I'm going to take a guess that their customer service won't care.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline stancato9

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 16:33:24 »
This is really weird the backspace feels and fits fine on my QFR with blues.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 16:40:37 »
This is really weird the backspace feels and fits fine on my QFR with blues.

Some stabilizers aren't spaced exactly right, and some stabilizers work with slightly off key caps better than others.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:33:46 »
So what would you suggest I do?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 17:53:09 »
Sounds more and more like broken or dislocated stabiliser.

Have you tried Ivan's suggestion: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50278.msg1097488#msg1097488

Offline stancato9

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 18:09:09 »
I can't see anything wrong with the wire. It's on a Poker 2 so I don't have access to the stab without desoldering.
Poker 2 - MX Red