Author Topic: Scoops vs. Bars vs. Nipples Discussion Thread  (Read 40047 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Re: Scoops vs. Bars vs. Nipples Discussion Thread
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 18:13:19 »
I like bars, bars+scoops is even better. I haven't tried Deep Dish SA yet, but Deep Dish DSA I don't like.

deep dish DSA can barely call itself deep dish. totally agree.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 05:23:50 »
And just quickly going through and counting:

Scoops: 23
Bars: 14

and for fun:

avg post count (removing one outlier on each end)
scoops: 2911
bars: 1686

You removed me, didn't you? :p

I voted for bars.

You did nearly double the average :p

:))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 19:25:47 »
I like bars, bars+scoops is even better. I haven't tried Deep Dish SA yet, but Deep Dish DSA I don't like.

deep dish DSA can barely call itself deep dish. totally agree.

I really like the scoops on my Granite set. So maybe that should be the standard with an even deeper dish for scoops? It can only get better...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 04:48:32 »
Just to throw another spanner in the works, cost can actually be a factor. Scoops require a different mold to be designed and made (dent = raised portion in mold, requires either adding material and then shaping it which is difficult or making a new mold), whereas bars and nipples require only a small modification to an existing mold / design (bump = remove small amount of material from mold = easy).

I have used GMK scoops, SA scoops, Gateron scoops with bars, GMK bars, DCS bars, SA "nipples", IBM Model M "nothings", IBM Model M bars and rubber dome bars.

Bars >> Scoops >> Nipples / Nothing

Nipples press in the highest force area of the keycap and the most sensitive area of the finger and that causes me pain, or at least mild discomfort.
My fingers have difficulty "recognising" scooped keys as home keys when typing fast, unless they also have bars.
Bars rest under the main pressure area of the keycap and I find them the easiest to feel and recognise without causing discomfort.

That's my subjective and opinionated "keyboard science" on the subject. I do love my SA scoops, though, despite all this. They just feel so nice to rest my fingers on / caress.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Johan

« Reply #154 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 05:28:39 »
Bumps/bars imo, Scoops feel weird and look off on GMK. I guess they do their job regardless.
Uh, stuff.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 20:23:16 »
I recently got some Cherry POM blanks, and they have an even more pronounced scoop than regular Cherry scoops.

They're amazing.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:09:03 »
Just to throw another spanner in the works, cost can actually be a factor. Scoops require a different mold to be designed and made (dent = raised portion in mold, requires either adding material and then shaping it which is difficult or making a new mold), whereas bars and nipples require only a small modification to an existing mold / design (bump = remove small amount of material from mold = easy).

Edit: I reread your argument and agree with you, but I still don't see how cost is relevant to the preference of using scoops or bars.

The whole cost issue is pretty much irrelevant and I'm not sure why it keeps getting brought up.

Speaking of POM scoops, I also got a set and they are spectacular. They're a tiny bit deeper than the ABS DS ones and just grip your fingers so perfectly in the recess!
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:11:39 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 01:53:29 »
I recently got IMSTO dye-subbed Vortex keycaps, although the quality of the keycaps is questionable (IMSTO dye-subs rule tho) - I'm in love with the bars (Vortex keycaps are thick, yet probably their tops are not thick enough, so the stem holder is barely visible)

The bumps: They are so small, yet they are there, if you want them they are there, if you don't like them they are pretty bearable (very bearable, almost enjoyable)

Comparatively, GMK bars are like knifes poking your fingers (my fingers were pretty mashed before testing, so that affected the result too)

I decided to get flat F/J's for my custom GMK Dolch order after this experience, I think I might pint F/J's with a heated knife just a little to emulate the Vortex bars at one point, If I seek the bars (I probably won't)

Still, a voice inside me tells me to get bumped F/J's from GMK, as sanding down the bump is also a good option, I can't decide
(Comparatively, scoops are still ****, I would rather get some BSP dye-subbed alphas and sand-down the nipples)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 06:17:02 »
... I still don't see how cost is relevant to the preference of using scoops or bars.

It doesn't affect the preference directly, but it does affect the proliferation / availability of scoops vs bumps and people often have a preference for what they're already used to. Most boards out there use bumps and cost could have been a factor in choosing them, just as much as historical precedent set by IBM.

I don't particularly care about either of these factors and have tried the various types as objectively as I can and given clear reasons for my preferences as I hope others are doing who contribute to this thread.

I have something to add: I actually like having the nipple type of dot on the number row, 4 and 7 like with the 1976 set (I think that's still unique). Makes "blind" number entry on a 60% better. But on F and J it's a bit too prominent and starts to irritate after a while, so still bars on F and J for me. They strike the right balance between subtle and obnoxious.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 11:03:47 »
It is obvious that when I talk about my preference for bars, that includes the 5 on the numpad.

It is frankly horrifying to have different homing systems in the same set. I'm talking for example about scoops on fj and a nipple on the numpad.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 11:53:45 »
Edit: I reread your argument and agree with you, but I still don't see how cost is relevant to the preference of using scoops or bars.

It isn't...you just read the whole thing the way you wanted to.

I haven't implied cost is a factor for any of it..you read my comment and my re-clarified comment that way.

The original comment I made was simply in reference to the fact that bars are on most keyboards and there is a reason for that...
It could be, as Oobly suggested, might actually have had to do with cost factors.
Or it could be, as you suggested, purely historical.  (I don't think cost was a factor in bars being the more popular choice by manufacturers).
But for whatever reason, bars ARE on most keyboards.

It has NOTHING to do with preferences.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2015, 23:59:07 by Polymer »

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 16:55:29 »
nipples > all

oh wait, I think im in the wrong thread

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 16:37:18 »
The Gateron scooped caps with bars are fracking amazing on Ivan's black-on-black set. Really nothing else compares. I wish my GMK scoops had bars  :'(
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 17:26:09 »
I like hanging around bars.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 18:07:47 »
I like hanging around nipples.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 21:39:56 »
I like hanging around nipples.

I like hanging around scoops.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 10:52:10 »
Keycaps are usually cast for at least one keyboard in each shot.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #167 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 18:39:40 »
Scoops are made for feminine fingers.
They feel unnaturally small and uncomfortable, when compared to the ergonomically correct shape of the other gmk keycaps.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #168 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 18:42:42 »
They feel unnaturally small and uncomfortable, when compared to the ergonomically correct shape of the other gmk keycaps.

**** off
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #169 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 18:42:55 »

lets see those manly hands then
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline neverused

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 21:39:17 »
Nipples, then bars. Scoops feel like retarded regular caps.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 23:40:53 »

Scoops would also require a different mold for the legend as well for double shots.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 00:05:04 »
Ban Giorgio.

Offline tbc

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 00:33:52 »
Ban Giorgio.

beat him with two scoops of raisins
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 05:52:24 »
I have been computing at home since 1989 and never used any indicator for the home row. The only indicator I use is the gap to the left of A that I feel with my pinky. Other than that I rely on proprioception.

A few years ago when I had acquired a few Cherry keyboards and started using them extensively, I didn't notice that a couple keys were scooped. It was first after I had read about it on Geekhack that I looked down and saw it.

But to repeat myself: Scoops, Bars or Nipples: Neither. There should be like a bar, but it should be broken into two dots.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 06:36:05 »
Interesting, I noticed my homing keys are the 2 fn keys near the spacebar, my thumbs find those 2 keys when I'm resting, that's how I seem to mostly determine the places of the keys now
I've been using DSA blanks for those keys+spacebar, I hope I'm not too used to them, I intend to go back to Cherry profile's (going to sand them too, otherwise Cherry R4 is pretty piercing for a thumb, I've been sanding a lot of stuff lately)

With Vortex PBT's, I also enjoy the very tiny bars, especially while CMD+F'ing stuff, so I abandoned the flat F/J usage idea of mine

Here is my sanding experiment with nipples and GMK bars, I've decided to use sanded GMK bars from now on:

110034-0

(Sanded the nipple as I was considering BSP alphas to use while I wait 8 weeks for my GMK F/J's, yet it makes more sense to just abandon the BSP's and concentrate on GMK's)
(In this photo, the cyan F and the nippled 5 is sanded, the J is the default bar'ed one for comparison, the dye-sub one is a Vortex PBT, again in the default form)
(After this photo, I sanded the cyan F more, it's even better than the Vortex one now, as the bar is a bit wider)
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2015, 07:00:43 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 21:53:27 »
Interesting, I noticed my homing keys are the 2 fn keys near the spacebar, my thumbs find those 2 keys when I'm resting, that's how I seem to mostly determine the places of the keys now
I've been using DSA blanks for those keys+spacebar, I hope I'm not too used to them, I intend to go back to Cherry profile's (going to sand them too, otherwise Cherry R4 is pretty piercing for a thumb, I've been sanding a lot of stuff lately)

With Vortex PBT's, I also enjoy the very tiny bars, especially while CMD+F'ing stuff, so I abandoned the flat F/J usage idea of mine

Here is my sanding experiment with nipples and GMK bars, I've decided to use sanded GMK bars from now on:

(Attachment Link)

(Sanded the nipple as I was considering BSP alphas to use while I wait 8 weeks for my GMK F/J's, yet it makes more sense to just abandon the BSP's and concentrate on GMK's)
(In this photo, the cyan F and the nippled 5 is sanded, the J is the default bar'ed one for comparison, the dye-sub one is a Vortex PBT, again in the default form)
(After this photo, I sanded the cyan F more, it's even better than the Vortex one now, as the bar is a bit wider)

Nice!

You didn't sand them enough; they still don't look like scoops to me.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 08:45:53 »
You didn't sand them enough; they still don't look like scoops to me.

ahahahahaha

:p :p :p

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 15:04:48 »
So, with the heat in Skidata+, I thought I'd post here.

Maybe there should be a GB for barred and nipped F & J caps for all the GMK caps which came with only scoops. Dunno how practical it is, but I'm sure some people would appreciate it.

Offline KnivesM

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:01:51 »
So, with the heat in Skidata+, I thought I'd post here.

Maybe there should be a GB for barred and nipped F & J caps for all the GMK caps which came with only scoops. Dunno how practical it is, but I'm sure some people would appreciate it.
If it's done it should be done as only one larger set making sure if it meets MOQ everyone will be happy.

[WTT] Bros | HWS | Nightcaps [WTTF] Bros | KBK/KWK | CC

LZ-FE                 Kpad           Poker II                   Leopold 980M          TGR Tris       TGR-Jane   
72g Vintage Blacks      Blacks            Blues                        Silent Pinks                Coming Soon™

Others
More
Leopold 750RT - Reds, Smart68 Coming Soon™, Steelseries 6Gv2 - Reds

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 20:09:00 »
Nipple and scoop are metaphoric; thus, they take typing experience to "another" level. Bars, in the other hand, would be the homo side of the metaphor.  :)) Sanded ones, well, they represent a tranny deviation of it.

Offline KHAANNN

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #182 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 19:53:33 »
Scoop the nipple with a bar.  ;)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Giorgio

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 08:06:32 »
Scoops are for the fingers what a well designed turn in a highway is for a car; while, bars and nipples are like bumps, you should stop, or damage your suspension.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 18:31:47 »
Scoops are for the fingers what a well designed turn in a highway is for a car; while, bars and nipples are like bumps, you should stop, or damage your suspension.

I like this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Polymer

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 21:34:06 »

I think pothole vs. raised markers (Buttons, Botts dots, turtles,etc) is more accurate...

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 01:09:07 »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 01:10:39 »
This is a taste thing. Some prefer scoops, some prefer bumps. Is it such a terrible thing to include both?
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 03:43:07 »
This is a taste thing. Some prefer scoops, some prefer bumps. Is it such a terrible thing to include both?
That's exactly what I'm saying..

Offline ika

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:02:28 »

I've only ever seen buys with only scoops where people complain vehemently about the people who want bars, it's never the other way around - but is that because bars are usually the default? I really don't understand why this is such a big deal here. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to get bars added, and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

Personally without bars, I can't use a keyset, since I take my right hand off the keyboard all the time and I need the bar to orient my hand with a quick sweep over the keys. Scoops take me a second longer (or I just get a few typoed words) but if I lose a second every time I have to do this, I'm losing 10+ seconds a day, which is an hour a year wasted.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 12:32:52 »
The response is always..do you want to shell out the 500 euro to have them made...

I'm fine with that...they can include it in the GB and as long as there is a MOQ of say, 50 and those people would need to pay 10 Euro for basically 10 keys (5 sets of FJ bars each), that's fine.  And if there are more than that, that's fine too.  And in reality, if you get more than that, you're already looking at a large percentage that want it and will use it...which will exceed any of the oddball layouts that get included.

People just need to be a bit more vocal about it.. 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 12:41:50 »
I just noticed that Ivan had bars as an option in his Dolch (and possibly others).
Is there another reason besides preference that designers exclude them? Is cost really that high that they don't think people will buy them?

There are obviously enough people who prefer bars, me being one of them. Our whole touch-typing experience relies on them. Having scoops only and saying that people need to deal with learning those or that they weren't in the original inspiration doesn't seem right. There are keys in new sets which weren't in the originals, and forcing people to use scoops seems exclusive.

I'm not that bothered and will use scoops to try something different, but there are people who strongly prefer bars and won't get sets without them as a result.
There's a strong enough vocal group who prefer bars and nips to warrant their inclusion, I think.

Offline ika

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 14:05:51 »
Is Gateron the only company that does the subtle scoop+bar combination? I really like that implementation, and bar haters can always sand it down IMO.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 16:41:21 »
Is Gateron the only company that does the subtle scoop+bar combination? I really like that implementation, and bar haters can always sand it down IMO.

Have a picture? I was not aware of such combination, it sounds great.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 17:00:54 »
Just got my first SA set, which has nips.

Can confirm I do not like nips at all. I don't mind them on Modern Selectric as it has a bit of a "retro" feel to it...I guess retro meaning people enjoyed the sharpness of homing keys  :confused:

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 17:01:50 »
Bars.

I like bars so much, I want them on every key.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 17:32:05 »
Just got my first SA set, which has nips.

Can confirm I do not like nips at all. I don't mind them on Modern Selectric as it has a bit of a "retro" feel to it...I guess retro meaning people enjoyed the sharpness of homing keys  :confused:

I always enjoyed the flat keycaps of SP - which most sets have as alternatives - Eve had scoops-only, DSA scoops were more tolerable then GMK scoops

You could try the flat keycaps of your set, maybe carve a bump into the flat keycap if it doesn't work flat