Author Topic: IBM 5251 review (beamsprings)  (Read 8219 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
IBM 5251 review (beamsprings)
« on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 09:13:30 »
This one took weeks of preparation, around 4 hours of filming (51 scenes!), and several hours of editing. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Giorgio

Re: IBM 5251 review (beamsprings)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 09:30:03 »
Thanks for your precious work, I'll watch it immediately.

Offline xxhellfirexx

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 20:48:14 »
I remember the beam springs having a distinct sound like when you press on a safety cap. I could not hear that in the recording. It does not have a sharp pinging noise like a model f buckling spring which makes it more pleasant to listen to.

I agree the keys are ultra smooth even when you press a large key from the edges. Model f keyboard keys will bind when I do that.

The beam spring is probably one of the easiest IBM mechanical keyboards to maintain. Disassembly only requires a flat head screwdriver and a keycap puller (or just anything to yank the cap off). Tape and a paperclip is needed if the fly plate falls off. Since this keyboard uses external stabilizers, it is much easier to reassemble than model f spacebars.

The 5251 has one of the best keyboard layouts of all the beam springs. Below is the layout I use.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 September 2017, 20:52:59 by xxhellfirexx »

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 11:32:03 »
chyros, if you are taking requests I would love to see a comparison video between Signature Plastics SA profile, the new SA clones from MaxKeys, and some of your favorite Vintage tall spherical keys just to see how the old/new compare.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 September 2017, 12:38:39 »
chyros, if you are taking requests I would love to see a comparison video between Signature Plastics SA profile, the new SA clones from MaxKeys, and some of your favorite Vintage tall spherical keys just to see how the old/new compare.
I'm alwaysn open to requests, but there's a limit to what I can do of course ;) . At the moment I don't have any keycap-only videos on the cards.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 00:43:57 »
I watched this video on my smartv with a real sound system--I will not watch any of these videos any other way!  :thumb:  You think his voice is buttery smooth on your computer?  He's up there with Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones when you hear every nuance.  :cool:  Just unreal!  Even if you don't like keyboards you want to hear what he has to say!  ;D

And such jam-packed videos with information that even us keyboard junkies can learn from.  I forgot how great these videos are, and these will now be my entertainment while eating, and I'm going to show them to my wife as well since her boss is from the Netherlands.  :thumb:

Thank you for taking the time and talent to bring these wonderful pieces of art.  So when are you going to release a dvd/blu-ray compilation?  ;)

Oh yeah, and now I want to try out a beam spring.  :)) :thumb:

Offline gak1234

[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 12:47:42 »
[pwnd by Massdrop]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 July 2018, 08:03:31 by gak1234 »