Author Topic: [IC] GMK Rocket [UPDATE 2: Proxies, GB start date, pricing announced!]  (Read 29268 times)

Offline Rise

• Trying to Give back to Community

Hey GH! Just a pure all-out debut GMK set from someone who really loves the colorway and what it means to me, living in my hometown in Freeport, New York it was always pretty hot in the summers, and this just happened to be one of my favorite things to cool off in the summer heat, this set was meant as a callback to the simpler more nostalgic days of post-war American culture and living, inspired by the "fabulous 50's" of American pop-culture, the rocket pop was created around this era and became a hit amongst every age, becoming an Iconic treat at it's time and seen as a growing symbol of american capitalism and patriotism, this was truly an iconic colorway meant to replicate the upstart nature of america and the ingenuity of the people inhabiting it. This Popsicle inspired set was made to turn heads and add that special level of flavor to any of your keyboards, and if you don't believe me, maybe I'll need Maria to convince you, she's one of our potential desk mat options!

[UPDATE:] Happy to announce Rocket will be ran and fulfilled by ProjectKeyboard! [UPDATE] GROUPBUY STARTS SEPTEMBER 1st!

Prices will be as follows on the Project Site

Base Kit: $125.00
Whiteout Mods: $95.00
Novelties: $35.00
Spacebars: $30.00

international vendors are as follows

AU and ASIA: Dailyclack
EU: Mykeyboard

Rocket is meant to be a set that's relatively minimal, carrying only novelties, spacebars, one mod kit and the base set that will support ISO. [Update]: As well as maintaining the stock GMK colors :)

The Colorway for GMK Rocket is as follows

GMK WS1 = White
GMK N5 = Blue
GMK RO2 = Red

New Render Base Kit

[UPDATE] New Kit: Whiteout Mods

New Novelties

Spacebars

New Sirius 60%

Sirius with Whiteout Mods

New Kepler TKL

New Kendo Split HHKB

Kendo with Whiteout Mods

Along with Maria, I also have a minimal desk mat for those with more conservative tastes, shown below.

I hope you guys like the set and the effort I put into putting together the entire experience. I have already talked with the other creator of a different popular set with similar colorway about running this set (SA By the Seas) and he said this was A-okay to run! Below is a google doc to gauge interest on the set itself as well as the desk pads.

https://forms.gle/AUwvbGttVBMCAPMZ9

Art was done by Hisui Hyena who did a fantastic job, finalized renders done by ProjectKeyboard

Update #1: Added New Novelties, Renders for the sets as well as spacebars in progress.

Update #2: Added Good Renders of Novelties, Spacebars, and Base kit.

Mega Update #3: Renders, Vendor Confirmation, Color and Kit Changes.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2019, 14:17:29 by Rise »

Offline OtherAndrew

Re: [IC] GMK Rocket
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:05:57 »
god bless America

Offline megaforce

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:11:07 »
I love botes
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:11:29 »
Damn, that weeb deskmat

It turned out very nice, in for sure! MAGA

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline appaboy

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:14:20 »
I couldn't imagine that '50c a pop' cap looking good in gmk cap sizes. Otherwise I think it looks great. AMERICA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN!
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Rise

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:15:53 »
I couldn't imagine that '50c a pop' cap looking good in gmk cap sizes. Otherwise I think it looks great. AMERICA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN!

Potential to move to both novelties being Stay Cool if the general consensus says that, thanks for the advice!

Offline upas

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:24:32 »

Potential to move to both novelties being Stay Cool if the general consensus says that, thanks for the advice!

I think that's an awesome idea :) It would mean less molds, which would reduce the price of the novelites.

I love the theme of this kit, reminds me of eating firecracker popsicles on the 4th of July.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:39:01 »
I bought bluegaloo mods to pair with red alert. But I didn't get red alert yet. Now this comes along. Defo one of the better thought out and better looking sets from the 1000+ GMK ICs posted since lunchtime. Good luck!

Offline Taac

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:41:23 »
Aren't you Tesletron's business partner?  Why are you guys starting yet another project to take in funds from the community when you've failed to deliver on... anything?  Until either of you can prove that you're capable of fulfilling commitments, whether it be the Lumina or hell, design work you've been paid for even, I can't encourage anyone to give their funds to you. 

Beautiful artwork Hisui Hyena.  At least one person affiliated with these two is able to deliver. 

Offline Rise

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:45:09 »
Aren't you Tesletron's business partner?  Why are you guys starting yet another project to take in funds from the community when you've failed to deliver on... anything?  Until either of you can prove that you're capable of fulfilling commitments, whether it be the Lumina or hell, design work you've been paid for even, I can't encourage anyone to give their funds to you. 

Beautiful artwork Hisui Hyena.  At least one person affiliated with these two is able to deliver.

Alright, here's the deal, every post I've seen of you is an alt account smearing my "partner". I came in to attempt to help him progress the lumina buy, I was not affiliated with him at the time of the Lumina buy and I'm not gonna be smeared and talked down to because of a mistake on a previous designer that I'm trying to help fulfill. Do not take my act of kindness and twist it because not only is it unbelievably rude it's based on assumption and is factually incorrect. I'm "associated" with him and he is my friend, but I am not a part of the Lumina outside of good will.

Offline Taac

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:53:03 »

Alright, here's the deal, every post I've seen of you is an alt account smearing my "partner". I came in to attempt to help him progress the lumina buy, I was not affiliated with him at the time of the Lumina buy and I'm not gonna be smeared and talked down to because of a mistake on a previous designer that I'm trying to help fulfill. Do not take my act of kindness and twist it because not only is it unbelievably rude it's based on assumption and is factually incorrect. I'm "associated" with him and he is my friend, but I am not a part of the Lumina outside of good will.

Says the profile with the same post count as me.  Who are you again?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:56:55 »

Please stop ****ting up IC threads with off-topic FUD.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline equalunique

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 10:58:27 »
This looks great. I'm in!

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:04:49 »
Definitely like the look of this will be following closely.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:19:45 »
Good 'ol American Summer vibes

Offline lydhenry

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 11:28:53 »
The white color looks a little bit cool, probably creamy white would be better. But anyway, it's nice!! Definite in.
Current boards: CA66, Rama M65-A, Matrix 1.2OG, Square 80%

Purchased boards: Exclusive E8.5 PC, Rama U80, Duck Viper V3, Matrix 2.0 ADD

Past boards: Fox Lab Leaf60 HHKB, Matrix Abel X RX-78, Matrix Mr. Hat

Offline Taac

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:00:53 »

Legitimate question here - is this off topic?  Not knowing much about Rise other than their "association" with a controversial runner like Tesletron has bearing on my interest, and I would think should have bearing on others as well.  My intent isn't to **** on the IC - I quite like the concept and think it's a set worth bringing into reality, but to pretend there isn't anything worth raising an eyebrow at seems like an oversight.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:07:54 »
I like this colorway a lot. My style isn't usually for bold, primary colors but this one has definitely got me very interested. Bold, but not overwhelmingly so.

Offline Rise

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:13:01 »

Legitimate question here - is this off topic?  Not knowing much about Rise other than their "association" with a controversial runner like Tesletron has bearing on my interest, and I would think should have bearing on others as well.  My intent isn't to **** on the IC - I quite like the concept and think it's a set worth bringing into reality, but to pretend there isn't anything worth raising an eyebrow at seems like an oversight.

It's not off topic, however, I've already explained the situation and you came back insulting me with the whole "who are you" nonsense. I'm someone trying to run a set. My involvement with someone because of the fact I wanted to help them out as a friend to them should have nothing to do with me wanting to run a GMK set. I have no monetary connection to Tesletron whatsoever so to try and put the two together past what you've already said just isn't right man. I appreciate your concern but I am.

A.) Not physically vending the set
B.) Not physically tied to Tesletron except via friendship and good faith
C.) Done with this conversation as I'd like the rest of this convo to be about the set itself so I can improve it and make it better for the people.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:23:09 »
I guess if I did have feedback, I might prefer slightly more muted red and blue mods/accents - sort of so it matches the slightly more washed out or dusty red and blue of the pictures and mat themselves? That said, I don't know much about the background and inspiration for the set, so a more dusty primary color theme might not suit that theme.

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:23:49 »

Offline Rise

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:27:42 »
logo and colors remind me of https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94038.0
Covered that in the post. Colors are different in Hue, theme is completely different, and just for good measure I got his go ahead.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Offline Taac

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:49:05 »

It's not off topic, however, I've already explained the situation and you came back insulting me with the whole "who are you" nonsense. I'm someone trying to run a set. My involvement with someone because of the fact I wanted to help them out as a friend to them should have nothing to do with me wanting to run a GMK set. I have no monetary connection to Tesletron whatsoever so to try and put the two together past what you've already said just isn't right man. I appreciate your concern but I am.

C.) Done with this conversation as I'd like the rest of this convo to be about the set itself so I can improve it and make it better for the people.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that you might be running an alt account, what with your lengthy history over here.  Pot can't call kettle black and not expect someone to call them on their hypocrisy.  If you find that insulting, you might want to think things through a bit before making emotionally charged responses.  With the associations you've chosen, you should expect this type of skepticism.   You know, "birds of a feather" and whatnot.

All things considered, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong about both of you.  Here's your chance, so don't **** it up.  I've made my concerns known, and will gladly pick up a set of this aftermarket if you're able to deliver.  Toodles.

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 13:39:48 »
In b4 'any chance of a hiragana addon?'

I like the 4th of July beach aesthetic. The red/white looks great, but I feel like the blue is off. Maybe it's just my monitor :dafoe:

Offline Rise

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 17:38:39 »
In b4 'any chance of a hiragana addon?'

I like the 4th of July beach aesthetic. The red/white looks great, but I feel like the blue is off. Maybe it's just my monitor :dafoe:
I will say this was definitely a harder set to pinpoint in colors, I think this will end up being one of the rare cases where a sit will end up looking better in person.

Offline Rise

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 17:38:52 »
Set*

Offline Obe

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 18:01:35 »
I'm gonna need that deskmat....

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 18:55:49 »
I *love* the deskmats!

Maria is great, but a brunette version would be amazing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2019, 07:52:37 by V. Vega »

Offline cjt9000

• Beige Man
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 19:23:01 »

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that you might be running an alt account, what with your lengthy history over here.  Pot can't call kettle black and not expect someone to call them on their hypocrisy.  If you find that insulting, you might want to think things through a bit before making emotionally charged responses.  With the associations you've chosen, you should expect this type of skepticism.   You know, "birds of a feather" and whatnot.

All things considered, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong about both of you.  Here's your chance, so don't **** it up.  I've made my concerns known, and will gladly pick up a set of this aftermarket if you're able to deliver.  Toodles.

What I'd love to know is why someone would go through the trouble to make a new account to **** talk someone based on their assumption Tesletron's involvement?

The post pretty clearly states that Tesletron is doing renders, and that's it. How would his involvement with doing renders have any impact on a set that will be run and fulfilled by an established vendor? It's stated pretty clearly in the second paragraph of the IC: "I'm already in talks with multiple vendors but nothing solid yet." I think that makes it pretty clear that it's not only going to be a well designed set with a solid theme, but it's going to be run in the hands of someone who has done it before.

I get that Tesletron has projects that he's still working to get done, but this isn't Tesletron running the set. We get new set designers all the time, everyone's gotta start somewhere.
B E I G E

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 20:52:43 »

Damn, that weeb deskmat

It turned out very nice, in for sure! MAGA

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Leave it to Americans to put their local politics into, uh, everything.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 20:57:35 »
The novelties are pretty fun.

Offline Jetstream

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 22:52:52 »
yo!!! this is clean!!

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 23:11:31 »
I'm not in love with the Novelties, though they do make sense. After looking at the keycap layout picture I did not think I was going to like this set at all, however on the board renders I thought it looked great. Clean, fun and patriotic!

Make Keysets Great Again!

Offline cldskt

• Wallet and hobby aren't friends
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 00:39:54 »
As mentioned previously, the melted ice cream inspiration seems to align better with a more muted blue/red accents.

Cool idea though.

"Addiction is buying the things that I don't need with the money I don't have." - me
"Spending $500 on your first custom is justified." - also me

Offline iammeuru

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 01:17:45 »
I love the colorway, and I can't place my finger on why... I just like it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 03:12:15 »
https://techkeys.us/collections/keycap-sets/products/america-set

thank god someone is finally doing this colorway right
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 09:10:05 »
interesting colorway.

Offline Rise

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 14:56:57 »
I'm not in love with the Novelties, though they do make sense. After looking at the keycap layout picture I did not think I was going to like this set at all, however on the board renders I thought it looked great. Clean, fun and patriotic!

Make Keysets Great Again!

Hey thanks man! I just added some new novelties to the set for those looking for something a little more refined/nicer lines. Tell me what you think.

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] GMK Rocket [Updated Base Render/Novelties]
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 21:27:58 »
Love the new novelties! Definitely in for me.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 23:16:13 »
Love the novelties!

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 00:05:16 »
Loving this set so far! Not really sure if the blue spacebar would be used?

Offline Champalan

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 13:33:46 »
I'm 100% in on this. My only suggestion is to change the f key colours. Usually it's the f5-f8 keys that have same colour as mods and the others have alpha colours, but you have it reversed. It just looks weird to me. Like I said, I'm all in and this is my only suggestion. Thank you!

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 22:03:03 »
I'm 100% in on this. My only suggestion is to change the f key colours. Usually it's the f5-f8 keys that have same colour as mods and the others have alpha colours, but you have it reversed. It just looks weird to me. Like I said, I'm all in and this is my only suggestion. Thank you!
I would agree. I’d also like to see a red spacebar.

Offline Rise

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 23:47:38 »
I would agree. I’d also like to see a red spacebar.

Hey! Thanks for bringing this up, I've updated the kits accordingly the F-keys are on me for forgetting about the actual setup and the red space bar will be included in the finalized base kits. Appreciate your guys' input :)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 10:25:07 »
If you won't run sublegends on the numpad, and will run icon mods, then I suggest removing the lower legends from Num, Scroll and pause for a cleaner look to suit the set better. To go along with that, I recommend using "Print" instead of Prt Sc as well. Finally I'd change the num icons for divide and multiply to × and ÷.

In addition, why does the num enter have icon + text while the rest only use icons, and why is one of the iso enters in text? Same for the hhkb backspace... the ISO shift is also text+icon...

Some other inconsistencies which bother me personally. Why are 1.25u controls "Control", while 1.5u are "Ctrl"?

I like the colorway in general, but there are some inconsistencies and weird choices that I personally don't understand. :)

Offline Jetstream

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 19:39:54 »
any updates??

Offline Rise

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 19:43:12 »
Updates to the set coming soon, i took a lot of Emirs advice on fixing the set.

Offline TeeAreEffedUp

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 10:29:16 »
Although I'm not personally huge on the novelties and would most likely skip them, I do really like the base kit minus the red grave key.

I'm a TKL user and having that would drive me absolutely nuts personally. Unfortunately, I also don't see myself switching to the mod colored key as I just don't care for mod colored grave or forward slash on my boards.

Great set otherwise though!

Offline equalunique

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 15:21:38 »
I have a Space City Kobo Frame Filco that that could use this set.

Any thoughts on R0 for the F-Row and R5 for the bottom row? Those seem like the pinnacle of GMK innovation & so far I think only GMK Carbon has featured them.

Offline Rise

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 15:24:36 »
I'm looking into R0 and R5. Life got incredibly busy but rocket is still a plan to run based off the interest I got. More renders to come soon with the fixes Emir helped me out with.