geekhack Marketplace > Great Finds

NIB Japanese IBM "Pingmasters" back online, $24.95+shipping

(1/7) > >>

ander:
Mendelsons Surplus has re-listed, on their website, the Japanese version (p/n 6112883) of the vintage IBM "Pingmaster":

NIB IBM Japanese Lettering Typing Computer 102 Keyboard Letter Type 6112883

Though they continue to sell the Chinese version (p/n 6113442 ) here on eBay, most of us assumed the Japanese version sold out some time ago. This should be good news to several GH peeps who were sorry they'd missed them.

These are unused, high-quality vintage IBM mechanical keyboards sealed in their original boxes. They have double-shot SA keys (not seen since IBM's early beam spring boards), rare "T-mount" Alps SKCC Green switches, and many custom-legendable keys with transparent covers. It seems likely they were designed for financial institutions, as they closely resemble IBM's Model F banking boards.

GH members have dubbed these "Pingmasters" because of the unique "musical" sound produced by their unusual switches and heavy metal plates.

There are several threads about them here on GH, and Chyros did this swell video review.

Note that these have a non-standard connector and protocol—so to use them with a modern PC, you'll need to add and program an inexpensive Teensy converter, which anyone with basic electronics skills should be able to do; details here and here.

At just $24.95 plus shipping, it's a pretty remarkable chance to own an obscure piece of IBM history.

OldIsNew:
Thanks for posting! I have one of the Chinese version boards and like it, but really had wanted the Japanese version - I really like those keys.

EDIT: Wow it looks like those went fast!

mogo:
Crap. This is too fascinating, sounds too pleasant to type on, and I love genuine classic SA. Worst of all is that I can afford it. My boyfriend is going to kill me for adding another to the collection. D:

ander:

--- Quote from: mogo on Thu, 14 September 2017, 14:29:18 ---Crap. This is too fascinating, sounds too pleasant to type on, and I love genuine classic SA. Worst of all is that I can afford it. My boyfriend is going to kill me for adding another to the collection. D:

--- End quote ---

In this case, it really is too cool, unusual and cheap to pass up, IMHO. Besides, the Japanese Pingmasters are the only keebs in the known universe with a "000" key.  :?)

chyros:

--- Quote from: ander on Mon, 18 September 2017, 01:51:23 ---
--- Quote from: mogo on Thu, 14 September 2017, 14:29:18 ---Crap. This is too fascinating, sounds too pleasant to type on, and I love genuine classic SA. Worst of all is that I can afford it. My boyfriend is going to kill me for adding another to the collection. D:

--- End quote ---

In this case, it really is too cool, unusual and cheap to pass up, IMHO. Besides, the Japanese Pingmasters are the only keebs in the known universe with a "000" key.  :?)

--- End quote ---
Nah, 000 keys are pretty normal on Japanese keyboards. Even the BFK had one ;) .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version