Author Topic: [IC] ePbt - Be The One - GB February 1st!  (Read 117146 times)

Offline ..//dexx

Re: [IC] ePbt - Be The One
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 08:41:46 »
Yes please.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 09:33:21 »
I'd like to point out that, as it stands now, the "Be the frozen north" kit contains partial support for English (UK): the four keys in the first R1 row are exclusive to it, but then the required R3 #~, R3 '@ and R4 \| keys are missing for no apparent reason.

Also: the base kit and both French kits display the vertical bar (|) as the broken bar (¦), but the "Be the frozen north" kit uses the plain vertical bar instead (and that's before considering the `¬¦ keycap, which has a broken bar to represent... a broken bar).

Offline zekth

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 10:10:48 »
but then the required R3 #~, R3 '@ and R4 \| keys are missing for no apparent reason.

Thanks for catching this, indeed i completely forgot about the ISO UK and i'll isolate it in another kit.

Also: the base kit and both French kits display the vertical bar (|) as the broken bar (¦), but the "Be the frozen north" kit uses the plain vertical bar instead (and that's before considering the `¬¦ keycap, which has a broken bar to represent... a broken bar).

Again a miss on my side, i'll unify everything

Offline zekth

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 10:12:23 »
has some slight shrinkage on the enter key but nothing terrible.

Regarding the shrink / warp issues on ePbt caps, ePbt is currently making new molds fixing those issues. The sample i ordered for the color match will not use those as the molds are not in production yet. Will share any news i got from them.

Offline badbusinessman

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 10:12:31 »
In like Flynn

Offline dotcom

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 10:21:01 »
Definitely interested. Very happy you included a 1.75u spacebar in the 40s set (I have been looking for a set that contains 2 1.75u spacebars; I would be able to acquire these via this set by purchasing the Compact/40s and Astronaut/spacebars sets).

Not sure if it's possible, but the addition of a 1.5u R1 backspace would be incredible (but not at all a deal breaker for me it is not).

Thanks!

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 11:46:25 »
I'm in.
What other keysets is this identical to? I dunno. But I want it.

Offline krey

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 21:44:49 »
this looks amazing.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline supbeez

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 21:54:49 »
I love it, and I'm happy with ePBT

Offline Techlet

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 00:21:03 »
Wouldn't this be better with Infinikey? ePBT's reverse dyesub quality is not very good.

Infinikey doesn't exactly have a great track record either.

Just look at what's happened with Graen.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 16:59:36 »
Wouldn't this be better with Infinikey? ePBT's reverse dyesub quality is not very good.

Please don’t drag this drama over here.

Offline fatalruin

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 22:05:11 »
I love the set. I would be in for a monochrome mod kit myself.

Offline Kouni

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 02:52:48 »
Putain oui. C'est beau.

Offline caronte0

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 06:34:40 »

what happened with graen?

Offline Goulou

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 17:15:51 »
I'M IN !

Offline Flowerqt

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 06:52:50 »
Any timeframe on this? I need this :D

Offline moh18one

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 07:26:36 »
Where is be the BÉPO ? :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 07:37:05 »
> “Inspired by an IDE theme”
> Lacks command and option keys

Wut.
I don't see how these things are related :V

I would also drop the 1.75u spacebar as I’m not sure there are any 40% layouts which use only one; there are a couple which use two, but they aren’t very popular.
Only Vortex Core uses 1× 1.75u. Also Minitomic, but I don't think that exists outside of protos, and the project appears to be dead.
But yes, 1.75u space is cancer.

I would also drop the 3u as I don’t know what uses that. Further, I would add a second 2u spacebar because  the 2x2u layout on ortho is fairly popular.
Equinox and some 60% boards use 3u, but they need two of them. Agreed on 2× 2u.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 August 2020, 07:42:57 by konstantin »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 22 August 2020, 08:17:08 »
Consider changing manufacturers. EPBT will likely not be able to produce this.

Regarding the concerns about ePbt and reverse dyesub; i've validated the possibility of realizing this project with Wei before starting the renders and so on. I'm currently waiting for samples. Kuro/Shiro accents were a bit fuzzy on some batches but some others came OK. See: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/364402716354543617/744500386097922148/IMG_20200816_121745.jpg?width=512&height=683
Sidenote, the kuro/shiro accent is deep black which may involves more stress on the key itself leading to the potential issue some keys had.

Also If we check the ePbt Royal alpha it came pretty good: https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/hCCQY0RMYuionNl8UxiRF7SszKLEb2QtuG1uqWVc3ps/%3Fv%3D1595318844/https/cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/3902/products/7_e6b342c5-d95e-4a2f-b07a-b8118d96ce64_1800x1800.jpg?width=683&height=683

Not saying here i'm blindly sure it will come out perfect, i'm waiting for samples to validate it.

Why choose ePbt? Because the MOQ policy is way more flexible for child kits with less popularity like FR/BE/Norde/dvorak and so on. This set without this compatibility makes no real sense to me as i mainly made it for people not being able to get for example GMK Oblivion / Nord which are in the same tones / theme.
It's good to know that you communicated these concerns to EPBT/Wei in advance and that you will be getting samples. Hopefully at least one for each color pair?

Some thoughts on the current kitting and legend choices:
  • R1 End and PgDn can be moved from base to the numpad kit. These keys are only used on 1800/CP/96-key boards and only when paired together with a numpad. Examples of this in some recent sets: EPBT Ivory (base, numpad), GMK Minimal R2 (base, numpad).
  • I think you should remove stepped 1.75u Control from the base and rainbow kits. It isn't that common, and if someone really wants to have stepped Control, they can use the key: the down arrow icon is fairly generic anyway.
  • I would like to see regular | replace broken bar ¦ as the main pipe legend. This will also make the set consistent with how the intl kits are currently set up.
  • I think the Pause, PrtSc, ScrLk and NumLk keys would look better if they used single-line “Pause”, “Print”, “Scroll” and “Num” legends, respectively. This change would make all of the text legends in the set consistently single-line.
  • I suggest removing sublegends on the numpad keys, again for aesthetics and visual consistency.
  • That rainbow kit is really cool! A dark yellow R4 1u Fn key will need to be added, though (to pair with the dark yellow 1.75u Shift).
  • The 40s kit is definitely bloated, as DrHigsby said.
  • I suggest dropping 1.75u space from the spacebars kit and replacing it with a second 3u space and a 1u space (useful for Alice boards and 3u+1u+3u split spacebars).

Offline honoka

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 01:55:00 »
What he said
I fully agree with single line caps, and no sublegends on numpad. Everything looks so much cleaner that way and better fits the aesthetics of icon only mods.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 02:34:24 »
One Dark Pro?!! Say no more. I'm already in!  :))

Offline zekth

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 04:37:27 »
  • R1 End and PgDn can be moved from base to the numpad kit. These keys are only used on 1800/CP/96-key boards and only when paired together with a numpad.

Makes sense yes

• I think you should remove stepped 1.75u Control from the base and rainbow kits. It isn't that common, and if someone really wants to have stepped Control, they can use the key: the down arrow icon is fairly generic anyway.

Well... Say this to people asking for "command" legend :D . If it was me i'd just leave the arrow, no strong opinion on it.

• I would like to see regular | replace broken bar ¦ as the main pipe legend. This will also make the set consistent with how the intl kits are currently set up.

Already fixed in my templates since the last feedback, the only broken bar is in ISO Uk kit

• That rainbow kit is really cool! A dark yellow R4 1u Fn key will need to be added, though (to pair with the dark yellow 1.75u Shift).

Was a miss in renders

• The 40s kit is definitely bloated, as DrHigsby said.

Would only drop accent colors so. Maybe just leave the accent for esc/enter key

I think the Pause, PrtSc, ScrLk and NumLk keys would look better if they used single-line “Pause”, “Print”, “Scroll” and “Num” legends, respectively. This change would make all of the text legends in the set consistently single-line.
I suggest removing sublegends on the numpad keys, again for aesthetics and visual consistency.

Makes sense, will realign those legends yup

I suggest dropping 1.75u space from the spacebars kit and replacing it with a second 3u space and a 1u space (useful for Alice boards and 3u+1u+3u split spacebars).

After digging through several discussions seem more reasonnable yes.

Thanks for all your feedbacks, really appreciate. For now i'm waiting for the samples and all the feedbacks to finish up the templates before doing another round of renders.

So quick summary:
  • Addition of monochrome mods legend kit
  • Addition of ISO UK kit
  • Addition of Dvorak Colemak kit
  • Addition of Bépo kit
  • Rework of 40 kit
  • Rework of spacebar kit
  • Minor alignment / legend adjustments

It's good to know that you communicated these concerns to EPBT/Wei in advance and that you will be getting samples. Hopefully at least one for each color pair?

Yes, just realized i don't have the tab/pipe accent in my order of samples, only the base kit version. Once i got those, be sure i'll post pictures.

Regarding the time frame of the potential GB, i don't think about it untill i got the samples to check if this is possible with ePbt. When i have an idea i'll post it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 August 2020, 05:14:24 by zekth »

Offline gok_nz

• Enjoy your PBT
    • Website
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 23 August 2020, 19:59:09 »
One thing to note is that this would require full 5-sided dyesub rather than just reversed dyesub due do all the different coloured legends.
With epbt teasing their WoB with red hiragana set, it seems that this will be possible pretty soon but rather than comparing the sharpness of the legends to kuro/shiro and royal alpha, that hiragana set will be the real litmus test.

Offline zekth

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 24 August 2020, 03:15:19 »
One thing to note is that this would require full 5-sided dyesub rather than just reversed dyesub due do all the different coloured legends.
With epbt teasing their WoB with red hiragana set, it seems that this will be possible pretty soon but rather than comparing the sharpness of the legends to kuro/shiro and royal alpha, that hiragana set will be the real litmus test.

Indeed. Just for reference

Offline timescam

• Professional Colevrak Beggar
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 02:37:01 »
praying for colevrak support

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 10:56:30 »
How about doubleshot PBT? Is that a thing now?

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 11:05:01 »
How about doubleshot PBT? Is that a thing now?
It ain't a thing as far as custom keycaps go. So that is not a viable solution here.

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 25 August 2020, 22:42:59 »
oo hope we can order this soon

Offline Gourlami

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 02:31:22 »
Count me in!

Offline Log3n

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 12:49:35 »
Very interested!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 26 August 2020, 14:12:14 »
I've heard the "Be the X" before, I assume it's a programming reference? In any case it would be huge if ePBT nails the protos.

Offline zekth

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 07:20:30 »
Hello all, still working on the kits.

Also Vendors have been added!

Offline zekth

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 04:27:41 »
Hey everyone, huge updates on the kitting.

Added Monochrome kit
40 kit was lighten up with accent to accept more layout compatibilies, now Preonic/Planck are covered.
Addition of Dvorak/colemak kit
Addition of Bepo Kit
Splitting the UK keys into a proper kit
Kits/alignments fixing
Added missing barred keys

Kudos to Konstantin who helped a lot on 40 kit compatibility

Offline Techlet

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 06:24:00 »
Any chance for 1.5u "Super" keys?

Offline zekth

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 07:44:01 »
Any chance for 1.5u "Super" keys?

Good catch ! Added as it would be cleaner for hhkb users.

Offline carax

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 15:50:19 »
Excited to see that the monochrome mod kit was added. Will definitely join this one

Offline Techlet

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 17:15:25 »
Nice, thanks!

Offline pointer

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 18:19:05 »
Perfect set, but why did You removed 1U shift from base and "be the rainbow" kits?
Is there any chance to have r4 "delete" key as well? Maybe its possible to have additional set for GK64/minila layout?
and maybe there is a chance to have a cyrillic set?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 19:09:50 »
Perfect set, but why did You removed 1U shift from base and "be the rainbow" kits?
Is there any chance to have r4 "delete" key as well? Maybe its possible to have additional set for GK64/minila layout?
and maybe there is a chance to have a cyrillic set?

There are 1u Shifts in the 40s kit. Might be worth moving one of them to base, though. You can use R4 1u Code for the Delete.

As for Minila, that board is already covered by the 40s kit (R1 1u Backspace, R4 1.75u Lock, R4 1u Shift) and base (two R4 1.25u keys, two R4 1u keys).
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 August 2020, 19:22:01 by konstantin »

Offline pointer

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 01:50:12 »
There are 1u Shifts in the 40s kit. Might be worth moving one of them to base, though. You can use R4 1u Code for the Delete.

Sure I can, but from aesthetics point of view I just prefer either blank keycaps, or with actual legends. newer mind.
And IMO its strange to remove 1U shifts from rainbow / mono sets, but leave 2U shifts there. In most cases if You use 2U shift, You need 1U as well. With the same color/accent. Sure its possible to use one from 40s kits, but it ruins perfect look.

Offline honoka

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 01:55:51 »
The mono mod kit is a nice addition. No complaints anymore.

Offline zekth

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 03:17:59 »

Sure I can, but from aesthetics point of view I just prefer either blank keycaps, or with actual legends. newer mind.
And IMO its strange to remove 1U shifts from rainbow / mono sets, but leave 2U shifts there. In most cases if You use 2U shift, You need 1U as well. With the same color/accent. Sure its possible to use one from 40s kits, but it ruins perfect look.

Def make sense for example the gk64 layout. Will address that in a further update yes

Offline qvanphong

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 08:35:35 »
This keyset is heavily inspired by the IDE theme One Dark Pro.
OK, COUNT ME IN!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 12:50:14 »
Pricing?

Offline Maniac

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 14:37:44 »
Set that is PBT and has ISO Norde kit? Don't mind if I do :thumb:

Offline Ramen Champ

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 18:42:30 »
Love how thorough the kits are
twitch.tv/ramenchamp_

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 30 August 2020, 18:46:02 »
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but based on the positive feedback I am seeing on the mono kit, is it possible to do one of the following?

1) Offer a completely full-mono base kit?
2) Offer an alphas-only kit. This would allow users who purchase the core base kit and mono mods to pick up a second set of alphas to get more mileage from their base kit.

I also have a question. On the navigator kit, do the green keys have black legends or blue legends? They look black to me, but I cannot be certain. Any consideration to make the legends the blue color instead?

Thanks for your consideration  :cool:
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2020, 18:49:20 by DrHigsby »

Offline zekth

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 05:11:34 »
Hello all

Added the gk64 compatibility in base kit
added dhm compatibility for Be Ak kit
added dead keys on Be Po kit

Offline Neozetare

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 07:20:08 »
BÉPO? I'm in.
PBT BÉPO? I'm IN.
Pretty PBT BÉPO? TAKE. ALL. MY. MONEY.

Not a deal breaker at all, but could it be possible to have Alt Gr keys?
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2020, 21:13:43 by Neozetare »

Offline pointer

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 09:09:14 »
Hello all

Added the gk64 compatibility in base kit
added dhm compatibility for Be Ak kit
added dead keys on Be Po kit

Perfect! Thanks a lot =)