Author Topic: Options for Kailh board  (Read 1364 times)

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
Options for Kailh board
« on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 18:04:25 »
I've convinced myself that I need to try out a full-size board with Kailh BOX heavy burnt orange switches.  It looks like mechanicalkeyboards.com only carry a 60% and a TKL, and I can't seem to find any other vendors.

I was wondering what my options are.  I'm handy with a soldering iron, but before I jump to the conclusion that I will need to find and assemble a board from parts, I just wanted to ask if there is a vendor that I'm perhaps missing that might provide a good quality full-size board with those switches?

If I end up having to build something, is there a go-to for Kailh BOX-compatible plates?

Thank you for your time.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Options for Kailh board
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 January 2021, 20:53:45 »
Box switches should fit any MX compatible board but finding a prebuilt is unlikely, companies don't like making prebuilts with uncommon switches.

Since you just want to try these and don't even know if you want to keep it my advice is go cheap, get a bare GMMK, it's decent board you can get fast and cheap and since it's hot swap if you dislike the switches you can just change them to something else without the desolder hassle. If you do like them you can then buy a nicer board (if you want) and put those switches in it leaving you with a decent spare/switch tester.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 00:26:12 »
I was going to say same as Leslie. I would suggest better Hot-Swap board though. Since if you like them, then you have a good board. If you get something else, you still have a good board. I do not subscribe to the whole Hot-Swap absolute failure deal. In fact I feel that they are less likely to fail. Since there is less stress on the solder joints. What is likely to fail on all of these boards in my experience remains LED's. I would just shut them off. I am not trying to Butt heads with you leslie. I most certainly value your opinion. As usual you offered a fine opinion. I simply offered an alternative if they wish to go that route.I think either way is okay. The key as you mentioned first was Hot-Swap. I do like those Kale's. There so many nice switches. Not everything must be a Panda or Zealio.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 02:57:02 »
In fact I feel that they are less likely to fail. Since there is less stress on the solder joints.
You must not work in anything electronics related.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2021, 03:10:16 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline klikkyklik

• Klikky Klik
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 09:56:00 »
I thank both of you for your advice.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 20:00:25 »
I thank both of you for your advice.

I'm going to add one more vote to hot swap sockets being moreso useful for testing than a permanent setup. Whatever board you get, make sure the hot swap sockets work with at least the majority of switches you want to test.

There's no way that friction fitting a switch held in only by a few solder pads repeatedly is going to somehow be more robust than a switch that's soldered in and never abused. Solder pads were never originally meant to provide structural support.