Author Topic: Scratchy or not?!  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Yinouhetsu

Scratchy or not?!
« on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 13:01:29 »
Hello! Do you think this keys sound scratchy or not? And i was wondering if it is a big problem or not. I've heard that scratch noise getting lesser overtime. So what is your ideas?

Offline Maledicted

Re: Scratchy or not?!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 19:37:20 »
Hello! Do you think this keys sound scratchy or not? And i was wondering if it is a big problem or not. I've heard that scratch noise getting lesser overtime. So what is your ideas?

Hello there. What have you got there? A K70 Mk.2? Maybe somebody, somewhere, claims to be able to hear whether or not switches are scratchy. I can't say that even if they did that it would be of much help to you in actual use. I imagine you've got MX reds in there? Cherry switches are usually a little rough until you get some wear on them.

How do they feel? Scratchiness is more about how smooth they feel than what they sound like. MX reds can get pretty smooth with heavy use by my standards, but I don't bother lubing switches. If you want to become obsessed with smoothness you could replace the reds with some boutique linear switches, or somebody can probably chime in about lubing them.

Offline Yinouhetsu

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 02:21:57 »

Hello there. What have you got there? A K70 Mk.2? Maybe somebody, somewhere, claims to be able to hear whether or not switches are scratchy. I can't say that even if they did that it would be of much help to you in actual use. I imagine you've got MX reds in there? Cherry switches are usually a little rough until you get some wear on them.

How do they feel? Scratchiness is more about how smooth they feel than what they sound like. MX reds can get pretty smooth with heavy use by my standards, but I don't bother lubing switches. If you want to become obsessed with smoothness you could replace the reds with some boutique linear switches, or somebody can probably chime in about lubing them.

Thank you so much for your answers! and yes, this is k70 mk.2 but special edition with speed silver switches. Well, i think it doesnt feels bad and this bit of scratchy noise just with my spacebar. Other keys feels really cool to me. So i dont think it would be a problem. About lubing, proper lube needs desoldering i guess? i am not really professional to do that. So i think i am going to wait my spacebar to get less scratchier overtime! Thanks for your answers again!
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 02:23:39 by Yinouhetsu »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 09:27:27 »

Thank you so much for your answers! and yes, this is k70 mk.2 but special edition with speed silver switches. Well, i think it doesnt feels bad and this bit of scratchy noise just with my spacebar. Other keys feels really cool to me. So i dont think it would be a problem. About lubing, proper lube needs desoldering i guess? i am not really professional to do that. So i think i am going to wait my spacebar to get less scratchier overtime! Thanks for your answers again!

The spacebar has one very long stabilizer beneath it, so that it doesn't wobble too much and doesn't bind when pressed down from any position. It has been a very long time since I have had a brand new Corsair keyboard, so I couldn't say whether or not this is normal. I like the original K70s and K65s myself. I can't say I have noticed it on those, but I'm not one to notice anything at all about Cherry stabilizers besides that they don't feel as nice as Costar stabilizers. It would surprise me if the stabilized keys felt and sounded exactly the same as non-stabilized keys though. If you press any of the longer keys like Enter, Shift, etc, they may feel and sound similar to your spacebar. The tone will probably be a little different for every cap of a different length, because that affects the acoustics as well.

I think there's debate about whether you should just try to jam lube into a switch or if you should disassemble it. Though I don't care about such things, I would imagine that blindly stuffing lube into the slider is not the best idea. That's part of the reason that there are plates that allow you to disassemble cherry (and clone) switches without desoldering the switch, and hot swap sockets. There are also plateless boards that have that benefit by coincidence.

Cherry plates that allow disassembly with switches installed should look something like this:

Those little bulges in the corners allow you to take the top of the housing off and pull the guts out. I don't know that any gaming keyboards have such a feature. I know none of mine do.

You'll probably eventually want thicker/nicer keycaps, unless your board came with Corsair's own double shots. Corsair uses a proprietary layout, but you should be able to find some Corsair-specific caps on Aliexpress. Corsair also sells a set but it costs twice as much, or more.

If I were you, if the feel doesn't bother you, I would leave it. I happily used my good old K70 (my first mechanical, at least once I knew how to recognize one) for 6 or 7 years without any modification whatsoever. Even now all I have done is toss some double shot caps on it to try out following a long-overdue cleaning recently, and they do sound less hollow because of their thickness.

Offline Yinouhetsu

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 10:58:31 »
The feeling is not making me uncomfortable tbh. So as you've said, i will keep it! About lubing, i will keep all natural as you did for your keyboards. I dont want such tiny details to ruin my fun.  When it comes to keycaps, K70 SE comes with PBT Double-Shot keycaps! Which i am very happy about it.  I will keep my keyboard as clean as possible. It's good to hear that you've used K70 happily for 6-7 years because the quality of K70 must have increased in 6-7 years, especially with Special Edition one i think. Better and durable keycaps, probably better build quality and maybe even better switch quality? So overall, i think i will be very very happy with this keyboard! Thanks for your time and advise again!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 11:26:11 »
The feeling is not making me uncomfortable tbh. So as you've said, i will keep it! About lubing, i will keep all natural as you did for your keyboards. I dont want such tiny details to ruin my fun.  When it comes to keycaps, K70 SE comes with PBT Double-Shot keycaps! Which i am very happy about it.  I will keep my keyboard as clean as possible. It's good to hear that you've used K70 happily for 6-7 years because the quality of K70 must have increased in 6-7 years, especially with Special Edition one i think. Better and durable keycaps, probably better build quality and maybe even better switch quality? So overall, i think i will be very very happy with this keyboard! Thanks for your time and advise again!

Corsair is actually a dirty word around here. I am an exception. People act like they make junk. I think the reality is somewhere in between ... as with all other things, as no company is perfect. There have been reports of burnt out LEDs and paint wearing off of the lasered caps even on the original K70s. Every single relatively commonly-used cap on my daily use K70 is worn into a black mirror, but I have never seen any signs of the paint coming off (and I have cleaned the caps with isopropyl alcohol at least a few times). I have also never seen either that or burnt out LEDs on any of my used K65 or K70 keyboards (I have too many of them).

I couldn't comment on things getting better or worse in terms of quality from Corsair. Their K65 and K70 lines, of the ones I have owned, have always had nice thick plates and seem to have reasonably good engineering and construction otherwise. A lot of derision is thrown at some boards for flexing too much, or not weighing enough ... when a K70 does very well in both regards. And they've got some fantastic industrial cosmetic appeal that has been copied by many manufacturers.

Double shots are just kind of an obsession of the community, so Corsair has obliged. They're (usually) thicker, and people generally prefer the deeper and more muted sound that generates when typing, and the legends literally cannot wear off of double shots, otherwise the move towards them throughout the community is subjective. The switches are made by Cherry and not Corsair. Generally, outside of retooling once molds start becoming too worn out, Cherry's quality doesn't change much. Cherry's switches can be best described (in my humble opinion) as the Honda Civic of mechanical switches. They're not the best switch in any single category, but they get you from A to B reliably, which is more than what can be said of many others that have been designed in the past.

Personally, I prefer MX red to MX speed. I think that one thing most people do agree on is that MX speed is sort of an answer to a question that was never asked. Subjectively, you may prefer a higher actuation point (there is nothing wrong with that). It doesn't really realistically have any impact on in-game performance, however. I find MX reds to already be too easy to accidentally actuate, so if I had my way, they would have heavier stock springs (like Gateron yellow, etc) and/or an even lower point of actuation.

I agree. I imagine that so long as you don't climb aboard any hype trains, you'll be perfectly happy with that board. If you ever want to change things up, it won't be easy with a Corsair (the older K65s and K70s are a pain to take apart and put back together), but it can be done. You could desolder every single switch and solder in MX-compatibles you desire. Just make sure to test them a while in something like a hot swap board before you commit.

Offline Yinouhetsu

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 13:18:19 »
Yeah.. I heard keyboard enthusiasts doesn't really like Corsair. I could agree that bit of the price of corsair's products (any gamer brand actually) is just something that you pay for its brand. I've learned about brands like Leopold, Ducky etc. But, Corsair is still very good brand even when compared to those brands imo. I was using 5 years old 20 Turkish Liras (which means just 2-3 dollar or less when converted), keyboard. That keyboard never had any issues even though it was insanely cheap. Enthusiasts are talking about build quality of Corsair keyboards in a bad way (at least for its price maybe i dont know) but, i dont think i will try to break walls with my keyboard. Build quality means durability right?(tell me if im wrong) Even though my insanely cheap keyboard with worst build quality never had any issues(it still works btw), i dont really think Corsair will have an issue just because its  build quality is lower than Leopold's. It still feels like a concrete. Switches are Cherry MX which is pretty durable and nice and keycaps are PBT double shot which is again pretty durable. I am not gonna punch or not gonna throw my keyboard out of window, so why would i cry for build quality that much? I think build quality difference not very big between corsair and leopold for example? i mean corsair still feels pretty solid.
Another thing is customizable keyboards etc. i think. As i am not an enthusiast, i dont really need something that customizable. Changing keycaps or lubing, generally customizing is not my type. Enthusiasts are looking for  best of best thats why they dont like gamer brands i think. But if you are not type of guy that wants to customize keyboard, you can actually buy gamer brands like Corsair. Calling Corsair's keyboards "junk" is not something that sensible person would say in my opinion. You are paying extra money for rgb and brand, yeah that's right. But, its still quality keyboard.
As i said, i am really beginner about keyboards and dont really know about it but, customizing keyboard maybe even takes more money from you i think. As you are customizing that keyboard with quality/expensive keycaps etc. From what i feel, i dont really think it is good idea to call Corsair as garbage.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:11:33 »
Yeah.. I heard keyboard enthusiasts doesn't really like Corsair. I could agree that bit of the price of corsair's products (any gamer brand actually) is just something that you pay for its brand. I've learned about brands like Leopold, Ducky etc. But, Corsair is still very good brand even when compared to those brands imo. I was using 5 years old 20 Turkish Liras (which means just 2-3 dollar or less when converted), keyboard. That keyboard never had any issues even though it was insanely cheap. Enthusiasts are talking about build quality of Corsair keyboards in a bad way (at least for its price maybe i dont know) but, i dont think i will try to break walls with my keyboard. Build quality means durability right?(tell me if im wrong) Even though my insanely cheap keyboard with worst build quality never had any issues(it still works btw), i dont really think Corsair will have an issue just because its  build quality is lower than Leopold's. It still feels like a concrete. Switches are Cherry MX which is pretty durable and nice and keycaps are PBT double shot which is again pretty durable. I am not gonna punch or not gonna throw my keyboard out of window, so why would i cry for build quality that much? I think build quality difference not very big between corsair and leopold for example? i mean corsair still feels pretty solid.
Another thing is customizable keyboards etc. i think. As i am not an enthusiast, i dont really need something that customizable. Changing keycaps or lubing, generally customizing is not my type. Enthusiasts are looking for  best of best thats why they dont like gamer brands i think. But if you are not type of guy that wants to customize keyboard, you can actually buy gamer brands like Corsair. Calling Corsair's keyboards "junk" is not something that sensible person would say in my opinion. You are paying extra money for rgb and brand, yeah that's right. But, its still quality keyboard.
As i said, i am really beginner about keyboards and dont really know about it but, customizing keyboard maybe even takes more money from you i think. As you are customizing that keyboard with quality/expensive keycaps etc. From what i feel, i dont really think it is good idea to call Corsair as garbage.

I have never had a Leopold board, and never plan to. Nothing I have ever seen from them interests me besides maybe their 65% Topre boards, for kicks and giggles. I do have a Rosewill keyboard that's basically the same as a Leopold with different (better, in my opinion) stabilizers, and it doesn't seem like anything special besides the stabilizers since Costars aren't in many boards I have seen. It seems like any other random/pedestrian mid-range mechanical keyboard. I don't have the real deal but the PCB and case are apparently almost exactly the same, so how much different can it be? Unless they're somehow way different, I would rather have my Corsairs.

The problem is that Corsair probably dominated the overall mechanical market, back when the majority of people using mechanical boards were just starting to because they had never heard of them before and were being told they were great for gaming (I would be included in this group). You had the old guard that grew up on Model Ms, Decks/TG3s, Leopolds, etc that all had mechanicals for less ... commercialized/imagined reasons and felt offended by the existence of gaming boards. They were the hipsters that used mechanicals before it was cool, so of course they were offended by their commercialization and corny marketing.

The proliferation of Corsair boards gave them a target, and also no shortage of anecdotal accounts of problems with them, so Corsair became a crappy brand within their echo chamber.

Now that the community's ranks have swelled, that notion has held because people that start out with Corsair, or Razer, or Cooler Master, or Logitech take the group think as gospel because they don't really learn anything at all about mechanicals until they start looking for more in places like this.

In my opinion, even though I routinely use arcane keyboards with solid Zinc cases and bygone switches that simply aren't even economical to produce anymore, the brand tribalism is all overblown. Razer usually makes a lot of cheap crap (based on experience, not group think), but I'm sure even they have got some solid products. If you find a 65% you like on Amazon for $40, and it serves you well for 10+ years, there's no reason for you to care what people say about it.

Offline Yinouhetsu

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:33:01 »
I understand better now thanks! and yeah if you are happy with your keyboard, there is nothing more to think about. I am really happy with my keyboard now and when you think about how cheap keyboards i've used and how well they served me, i think there would not be any problem!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:46:04 »
I understand better now thanks! and yeah if you are happy with your keyboard, there is nothing more to think about. I am really happy with my keyboard now and when you think about how cheap keyboards i've used and how well they served me, i think there would not be any problem!

Any time. Rubber domes do have the advantage of being simple, so they are usually relatively reliable. A $40 mechanical might end up lasting less time than a $5 dome board, but who's to really say for sure?

I do hope that in time you'll look more into different switch types. Personally, I see gaming keyboards as a great gateway drug. You start out with MX (or clones), etc, and that plants to seed to explore. In that regard, brands like Corsair provide a pivotal starting point in people's eventual discovery of what's out there to enjoy.

Once you open that Pandora's box, there's no closing it though.

Offline Yinouhetsu

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:55:17 »
You're right! Well, i will be looking for other tastes when time comes. I am hoping great long time with K70 SE!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:02:11 »
You're right! Well, i will be looking for other tastes when time comes. I am hoping great long time with K70 SE!

Enjoy the journey, there's no reason to rush. MX linears are great for gaming. I still use my K70 exclusively for that. I could think of a handful of switches that might be a little more ideal, but MX reds do the job more than well enough. There's little reason to fix what isn't broken. It is if/when you want something specifically for typing, then the fun begins.

I have put box navies into a K65, I have a literal pile of K65s and K70s for future switch swaps. If something like that ever comes on the radar, not only have you got a board you've always liked, but then you've made it your own as well. Considering how few people like Corsair, you'll likely have something completely unique.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:08:28 by Maledicted »

Offline Yinouhetsu

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:07:01 »
Thank you so much for everything again! :) Oh that's a really good idea actually you are right
Country that i've been living is not really open for expensive hobbies though. But i will eventually learn more about keyboards and maybe build my own! who knows :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:17:41 by Yinouhetsu »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:19:04 »
Thank you so much for everything again! :) Oh that's a really good idea actually you are right
Country that i've been living is not really open for very expensive hobbies though. But i will eventually learn more about keyboards and maybe build my own! who knows :D

You're very welcome. That's the beauty of modding old boards, which I tend to do. I have never actually even built one of the kit boards myself. I call them LEGO boards. If you've got a soldering iron, and know how to use it, then all it costs you is the time and the switches. Some really good switches can be had for pretty reasonable prices. And then you have some cool/weird frankenstein board you know is actually unique.

Offline Yinouhetsu

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:27:46 »
I will be looking forward to create my own keyboard! Btw, people really like corsair or other game brands in my country. As i've said, keyboards are really expensive in my country. So everyone wants to get solid/nice knowing keyboard. So we're just getting a keyboard then gaming with it, thats it.  Customizing would be really really expensive for us. People who make custom keyboards in my country are like rarest thing in the world lol. Actually i am searching for it right now but i couldnt find any. So i think we can tell that corsair in my country is like very quality custom keyboard in USA. So i think im good! :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 15:34:38 by Yinouhetsu »