Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427157 times)

Offline Jixr

Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #650 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:40:21 »
Well for me, the design of the pen is super important, which is why my pen body cost $75

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #651 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:46:28 »
I just purchased my first fountain, a Pilot Metropolitan and I love the way it feels! Do you guys have any recommendations for improving your handwriting? My cursive is positively atrocious... (i.e. websites, videos, etc.)

Thanks,

Zap
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #652 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:47:21 »
If you care about smoothness of a nib so much then why don't you get a nibmeister to either tune or make a custom nib?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #653 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 13:48:53 »
If you care about smoothness of a nib so much then why don't you get a nibmeister to either tune or make a custom nib?

Agreed. You can always just skip all the steps and go to a custom nib grinder who can make the nib exactly the way you want it. I just like DIY and exploration more than going straight to customized stuff.

I just purchased my first fountain, a Pilot Metropolitan and I love the way it feels! Do you guys have any recommendations for improving your handwriting? My cursive is positively atrocious... (i.e. websites, videos, etc.)

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59329.msg1606461;topicseen#msg1606461

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #654 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:16:15 »

Agreed. You can always just skip all the steps and go to a custom nib grinder who can make the nib exactly the way you want it. I just like DIY and exploration more than going straight to customized stuff.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59329.msg1606461;topicseen#msg1606461

Thanks, that's very helpful.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #655 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:36:17 »
Iridium vs a bit of paper. I think Iridium will win. I'd just go slow and see what you can do with it. There's other smoothing materials like micromesh which Anderson Pens and Goulet Pens sells. Just don't use sandpaper. Get something real fine and go slow. Should be fine.

Thats a random no brand pen my SO got me from Pike's Peak Market in Seattle. It's made from Cocobolo wood, with an IPG steel F nib. Writes really well, and I got Noodler's Walnut specifically to match with it. haha

Interesting. I find pens like that are usually weighted poorly. Glad to see you're into it :).

For CI lovers check out Nemosine's variety of #6 nibs.  Couple bits of odd variety.  :thumb:

http://www.nemosine.com/collections/accessories

Huh? Aren't those .6mm and .8 mm stubs? Not the same as a CI?

It goes as follows... Italic, Cursive Italic, Stub.  This scale is from least round edges to most rounded edges.  The nemosine company states that these are calligraphy nibs and writing samples seem more CI than stub.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Jixr

« Reply #656 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:07:48 »
we need to set up an ink exchange thing, I want to try some other colors, but it would take me forever to burn through a whole bottle of ink.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #657 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:37:58 »
we need to set up an ink exchange thing, I want to try some other colors, but it would take me forever to burn through a whole bottle of ink.

as someone who covets his 40+ bottles of ink... NAY

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Jixr

« Reply #658 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 18:29:42 »
got my new nib in today, and while its thicker than I'd like, its really wet and writes smooth. So I guess I'll stick with  this one for a while.

Offline HalfSharkAlligator

« Reply #659 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:39:50 »

Ink exchange would be fun, but if you just want to try a variety of inks quickly and easily without buying whole bottles, both Anderson Pens and Goulet Pens sell ink samples in 2-3ml vials for very cheap, under $3. It really lets you try some high-end inks before committing to an expensive bottle (and it's fun :thumb: ).

On my last order, I ordered from literally both of them within a few hours of each other to compare. Here are my observations

Both
Great customer service
Quick confirmation and shipping emails, with tracking
I ordered in the evening and both shipped the next day
Both came on the same day (quickly, I might add, I think 2-3 days)
Both were well packaged and accurate

Anderson Pens
Slightly better value for ink samples, they sell an extra 1 ml in the vial for about the same price
Currently $2.75 for 3 ml (varies, but this seems to most common price), although I believe it was $2.50 when I ordered
Packaging and labeling wasn't quite as nice as Goulet, they used packing peanuts but it seemed like i got the bottom of the barrel as it was mostly little tiny pieces and a lot of dust, it made a bit of mess

Goulet Pens
Slicker packaging and branding / etc.
Bubble wrap
Currently $2.50 for 2 ml
Order confirmation was maybe a few hours earlier

Seriously this is splitting hairs, they were both excellent and i'd order from either of them again without thinking twice. Great to have such good vendors in this market! They are both small family-owned businesses.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 February 2015, 20:42:23 by HalfSharkAlligator »

Offline drewba

« Reply #660 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:34:35 »
So, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to fountain pens. I used to mess around with my mom's fountain pens back when she used to do calligraphy & scrap book stuff but I was like 11.

Does anyone have any input on the Lamy Vista currently on massdrop for $22 shipped? Like most things on MD, it looks like I'll only save a few dollars but the reviews I've read speak highly of the Vista (and Lamy in general). Can you guys point me in the right direction?

1. Would the Vista be a good beginner option? The Pilot Metropolitan seems to be the pen that just about everyone recommends to start with. Should I start at the bottom with a $4 Platinum Preppy? 
2. Are cartridges ok, or should I just go ahead and get a converter now?
3. Fine or medium nib? I plan on using this for signatures & doodling. I'm leaning towards fine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:41:02 by drewba »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #661 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:36:37 »
Tip: do not get a writing pen for doodling.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #662 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:42:21 »
So, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to fountain pens. I used to mess around with my mom's fountain pens back when she used to do calligraphy & scrap book stuff.

Does anyone have any input on the Lamy Vista currently on massdrop for $22 shipped? Like most things on MD, it looks like I'll only save a few dollars but the reviews I've read speak highly of the Vista (and Lamy in general). Can you guys point me in the right direction?

1. Would the Vista be a good beginner option? The Pilot Metropolitan seems to be the pen that just about everyone recommends to start with. Should I start at the bottom with a $4 Platinum Preppy? 
3. Fine or medium nib? I plan on using this for signatures & doodling. I'm leaning towards fine.

1) Vista = demonstrator Safari. I have a Vista and it's great.

Safari = colored ABS
Vista = Demonstrator Safari (don't know the material)
AL-Star = anodized aluminum Safari

Nibs are all the same and the bodies are the same shape. Just diff material. As always I will say that the Metropolitan is just such a good value for a first fountain pen. I prefer the nib to the Lamy Safari/AL-Star/Vista nib. I don't know what you're looking for in a fountain pen other than use case so I will say that Platinum Preppy nibs are too fine for me.

2) I don't like cartridges. They are convenient and clean though.

3) I don't know from personal use since I really just practice cursive and write with my pens. I don't doodle so I can only say that from what I've seen, it appears artistic doodlers like finer nibs. I don't know why Binge doesn't like doodling with fountain pens. I would guess it's because it's very easy to smudge and smear fountain pen ink.

Offline drewba

« Reply #663 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:42:48 »
Don't tell me what to do! I'll be using this for handwriting as well :D

Offline drewba

« Reply #664 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 13:48:57 »
So, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to fountain pens. I used to mess around with my mom's fountain pens back when she used to do calligraphy & scrap book stuff.

Safari = colored ABS

Nibs are all the same and the bodies are the same shape. Just diff material. As always I will say that the Metropolitan is just such a good value for a first fountain pen. I prefer the nib to the Lamy Safari/AL-Star/Vista nib. I don't know what you're looking for in a fountain pen other than use case so I will say that Platinum Preppy nibs are too fine for me.

3) I don't know from personal use since I really just practice cursive and write with my pens. I don't doodle so I can only say that from what I've seen, it appears artistic doodlers like finer nibs. I don't know why Binge doesn't like doodling with fountain pens. I would guess it's because it's very easy to smudge and smear fountain pen ink.

Thanks CPT, good stuff. I'm assuming there's a fair bit of trial & error when it comes to finding a pen that is right for you. I think I'm going to head to the art shop and see if they have any pens to test out.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #665 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:09:08 »
Thanks CPT, good stuff. I'm assuming there's a fair bit of trial & error when it comes to finding a pen that is right for you. I think I'm going to head to the art shop and see if they have any pens to test out.

I think it's harder to recommend pens than keyboards. Everyone's handwriting style and preferences are so unique to them. I highly encourage you to try them out for yourself.

For example it turns out that I unconsciously roll my pens a little when I write. With a ballpoint or rollerball, this isn't an issue. But with fountain pens, especially with nibs like a 1.9mm stub, if I rotate too much I can't get the pen to write properly. I didn't even notice this until about 6 months ago. Your own handwriting may have quirks and will cause you to like X over Y.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 16:32:11 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #666 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:24:38 »

Safari = colored ABS

I'm not trying to imply one shouldn't draw with a fountain pen.  Writing pens/nibs generally do worse when it comes to the kinds of lines you make as an artist.  It needs to have pretty heavy flow, light weight, and the ability for subtle line variation to be a decent tool for doodling.  The kind of ink you want should be permanent and dry quickly without giving you the chance to smear/smudge the ink.  Iron gall and Noodler's inks are my preference when doodling.

« Reply #667 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 14:50:25 »
So, I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to fountain pens. I used to mess around with my mom's fountain pens back when she used to do calligraphy & scrap book stuff but I was like 11.

I have two Metropolitans and two Safaris.  The Metro's have much nicer nibs.  But I prefer the design of the Safari.  Neither has an awesome section.  The Safari has a sort of triangular grip section which lefties and some righties don't like.  The Metro section has a sharp edge and large differential in size from barrel to section, which I don't like.  So, YMMV.  Metro is cheaper to try for your first FP, and with a smoother nib, it's what I'd recommend. Note that nib size between them is different, a Pilot F is similar to a Lamy EF. (Japanese nibs are about a size smaller than western/euro nibs)

Offline drewba

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 15:32:10 »

I think it's harder to recommend pens than keyboards. Everyone's handwriting style and preferences are so unique to them. I highly encourage you to try them out for yourself.

For example it turns out that I unconsciously roll my pens a little when I write. With a ballpoint or rollerball, this isn't an issue. But with fountain pens, especially with nibs like a 1.9mm stub, if I rotate too much I can't get the pen to write properly. I didn't even notice this until about 6 months ago. Your own handwriting make have quirks and will cause you to like X over Y.

At least the price point is a bit more approachable than keyboards! Thanks again :)

I have two Metropolitans and two Safaris.  The Metro's have much nicer nibs.  But I prefer the design of the Safari.  Neither has an awesome section.  The Safari has a sort of triangular grip section which lefties and some righties don't like.  The Metro section has a sharp edge and large differential in size from barrel to section, which I don't like.  So, YMMV.  Metro is cheaper to try for your first FP, and with a smoother nib, it's what I'd recommend. Note that nib size between them is different, a Pilot F is similar to a Lamy EF. (Japanese nibs are about a size smaller than western/euro nibs)

What am I about to get myself in to...but seriously thanks for the input. Luckily I have a pen shop near me that stocks Safaris & Metropolitans (AND $1000+ Mont Blancs but I digress), so I'll see what feels good in my hands.

« Reply #669 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 17:37:57 »
What am I about to get myself in to...but seriously thanks for the input. Luckily I have a pen shop near me that stocks Safaris & Metropolitans (AND $1000+ Mont Blancs but I digress), so I'll see what feels good in my hands.

These pens are a gateway drug.  I'll check back in six months and you'll have posted like eight more pens that you have purchased, in increasing cost with each purchase  :))

Offline Jixr

« Reply #670 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:49:56 »
can anyone recomend a cheap FP that has a plastic see through body ( not a disposable one though )

« Reply #671 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 14:29:13 »
can anyone recomend a cheap FP that has a plastic see through body ( not a disposable one though )

Lamy Vista (clear version of the Safari/AL-Star line) ($20-25)

or, if you want a step up:

TWSBI Mini or TWSBI 580 or Pilot Prera Clear (these are all $50-60)
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:34:10 by HalfSharkAlligator »

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #672 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 19:53:52 »

i'm with binge.........use something else if just for doodling
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #673 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 22:30:33 »

demonstrator konrad w/nemosine nib

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #674 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:33:46 »

I was going to say Vista, TWSBI 580/700, or Prera. But since those have been suggested, Kaweco Sport is an option too.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #677 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:14:40 »
Is that the same chocolate guy as the philly show?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #678 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:15:07 »
Is that the same chocolate guy as the philly show?

Ye ye.  You're missing out bro :D

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #679 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:16:50 »
Baltimore is a long drive from Rochester :P
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #680 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:20:48 »

BUT THE CHOCOLATE!!!! T-T

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #681 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:23:27 »

Find one closer to me and I'll join you guys :P
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #682 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 15:24:44 »

Find one closer to me and I'll join you guys :P

I'm just gonna get fat and write bad poetry in the tub with my ink, pens, and chocolates.  When you get to be MAN enough to make the trip then we'll talk.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #683 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 16:58:56 »

Booper sent me this lovely handwritten note that came with my Monkey keycap today. I love the ink color and her handwriting is better than the bottom of her note made it seem!

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #684 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 18:27:43 »
Since CPTBadAss outed me I guess I may as well stop lurking! Sorry for the crappy photos

My initial assessments - I'm used to writing small so the fine nibs are awesome IMO for all-the-time writing. Medium is fun though! Also, I got the cheap yafa(?) pen at the Office Depot in town. It's quite inferior to the other 3 but I like it because of the color/fine nib. I've got some ink samples ordered though for the other pens! :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2015, 18:35:40 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #685 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 19:13:01 »
Show Image

Booper sent me this lovely handwritten note that came with my Monkey keycap today. I love the ink color and her handwriting is better than the bottom of her note made it seem!

Show Image

What is that monkey?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #686 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:35:37 »
Show Image

Show Image

What is that monkey?

MonKEYcap :3  ooo ah ah

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #687 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:21:18 »
Show Image

Show Image

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #688 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:21:21 »
those ti2 pens worth their price?

honest answer
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #689 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:26:09 »
those ti2 pens worth their price?

honest answer

I really like my pen. It's probably not worth it to get one of the fancy colors, but I have a hobby based spending problem. It feels really nice in my hand and is well balanced which was important to me. The hitec c ink has been dealing with Rochester's 0 degree weather quite well despite being outside for fairly substantial periods of time.

The only thing I see wearing out are the o rings, which are absurdly easy and cheap to replace. I bought ~12 purple o rings for basically $0 on ebay.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #690 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:30:36 »
thanks.

i have one of these

http://www.bigidesign.com/welcome/phx-pen-2/

and tbh, it feels like it's unnecessarily heavy. granted, it's only 29 bucks, stainless steel and not titanium, so i doubt a lot went into it design wise.

ive had my eye on the ti2 but found the price a little too steep and was hesitant after the phx pen on getting another metal type pen.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #691 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:34:39 »
Heya!

Been a while since I last posted.

Got myself a sailor 1911 with a 21k gold music nib but unfortunately the nib is extremely dry when I don't put any pressure.

If I glide the pen on the paper no ink comes out =/

I don't have much experience with music nibs but I feel like this shouldn't be happening (I have another sailor pen and it writes fine).

Any suggestions on diagnosing the issue?

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #692 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 00:02:03 »
thanks.

i have one of these

and tbh, it feels like it's unnecessarily heavy. granted, it's only 29 bucks, stainless steel and not titanium, so i doubt a lot went into it design wise.

ive had my eye on the ti2 but found the price a little too steep and was hesitant after the phx pen on getting another metal type pen.

They are metal, so they aren't light compared with plastic pens. However, it hasn't been heavy enough for my hand to feel any more fatigue than I would with a plastic pen. I looked it up and the Ti2 weighs just about half of what your current pen weighs.

The final piece of relevant info, is that it can be taken apart into a sufficient quantity of pieces to entertain myself while in class (Somehow this is an important feature to me).
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #693 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 00:05:44 »
oh, i know they weigh more.

i like heavy pens/pencils. didnt expect this one to be that much. it doesnt feel balanced at all.

« Reply #694 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 00:31:16 »

Got myself a sailor 1911 with a 21k gold music nib but unfortunately the nib is extremely dry when I don't put any pressure.

I don't have much experience with music nibs but I feel like this shouldn't be happening (I have another sailor pen and it writes fine).

Since you mentioned it's new, did you flush it first?  Sometimes there are oils from the manufacturing process, or even dried ink if they tested it. I've had a good flush fix a new pen that was having hard starts and ink starvation.

If you already did or that doesn't do the trick, you may want to consider returning it for an exchange.  A music nib, in my understanding, should actually be wetter than a standard nib due to the width and two channels for ink flow.  There are also methods for increasing ink flow using brass shim plates, but again if it's a new pen you probably wouldn't want to mess with that if it's still exchange-able.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #695 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 08:41:18 »
Heya!

Like halfalligatorshark said, I'd flush the pen first and soak the nib in water and a bit of dish detergent. Also what ink are you using? Could be a thing where the ink and the pen aren't playing nicely.

thanks.

i have one of these

Other well regarded machined metal pens include the Tactile Turn Mover and Shaker as well as the Karas Kustoms pens. There's a lot of them coming out on Kickstarter as well.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #696 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 08:47:13 »
Heya!

Like halfalligatorshark said, I'd flush the pen first and soak the nib in water and a bit of dish detergent. Also what ink are you using? Could be a thing where the ink and the pen aren't playing nicely.

thanks.

i have one of these

Other well regarded machined metal pens include the Tactile Turn Mover and Shaker as well as the Karas Kustoms pens. There's a lot of them coming out on Kickstarter as well.

I'll try with another ink. Using iroshizuku momiji ink. I flushed the feed and let it soak already ;( would be a shame to have to send it back to Japan. I'll try with some J herbin tonight, thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #697 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 08:49:42 »
I'll try with another ink. Using iroshizuku momiji ink. I flushed the feed and let it soak already ;( would be a shame to have to send it back to Japan. I'll try with some J herbin tonight, thanks!

How long did you let it soak? I've had to soak pens overnight sometimes to get them to write. And there should be a US or Canadian Sailor contact you could get a hold of. I don't think you'd have to send it to Japan. But that's weird. Iroshizuku ususally has no issues.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #698 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:15:26 »

How long did you let it soak? I've had to soak pens overnight sometimes to get them to write. And there should be a US or Canadian Sailor contact you could get a hold of. I don't think you'd have to send it to Japan. But that's weird. Iroshizuku ususally has no issues.

My Yamabudo is writing flawlessly in my Nakaya right now.
I bought the Sailor from Engeika and they have a return/exchange policy that I can take advantage of. I'll give it a nice long soak as soon as I get home. I admittedly didn't soak it for that long.

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #699 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 17:59:33 »
Is there a separate thread for notebooks and the like? I've been using a Rhodia webnotebook for a bit now but I'm thinking about picking up a midori style travellers notebook. Anyone have on of these? If so any recommendations for inserts and paper types?

Painted QFR          Poker 2