Author Topic: Games are so poorly optimised. And I feel it's only gonna get worse.  (Read 3035 times)

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
I was looking at that new lord of the rings gollum game and was absolutely appalled by the system requirements. This the recommended requirements on steam.

Recommended:
        Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
        Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
        Memory: 16 GB RAM
        Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB (with DLSS Quality Setting) / AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT, 12GB
        DirectX: Version 12
        Storage: 45 GB available space
        Additional Notes: at Medium preset and 1080p, Ray Tracing on

Even with ray tracing I feel these are insane requirements. Keep in mind the minimum requirements are much lower, but I still feel that considering that game can run on Nintendo switch, this is way to much. I know that game developers don't care at all about gamers who play on pc, so they don't even remotely care about optimizing the game but this is getting a bit much. Storage sizes are especially bad with modern games. To me I feel this may get worse over time (let's just hope I don't have to take out a second kidney in a several years if I need to upgrade XD)

Would like to know what all of you think about it, and whether I'm over blowing the situation and I hope you have a good day or night!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Games are so poorly optimised. And I feel it's only gonna get worse.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 08:59:17 »
That's seems to be accurately a mid-spec computer by 2023 standards no ?

Tp4 out of the loop,

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 10:14:44 »
That's seems to be accurately a mid-spec computer by 2023 standards no ?

Tp4 out of the loop,

As I said I may be over-blowing this so that's I asked for other people's input. I feel that for people who care a lot about computers like people on gh that is more medium to high range (more so medium because of that cpu), but for that average person that's very high end in comparison, especially the price, which I just approximated on a pc builder to be about 1500usd, you could always save on parts but that is mostly retail with parts that are similar in quality and cost relative to the part in question. That's a lot for someone to spend on a computer, especially for someone less well off.

Keep in mind those specs are for the gollum game, which can run on a nintendo switch and doesn't even look that impressive or advanced to warrant those specs for just medium settings with ray tracing. My point was about the lack of optimization for games like this and how I feel that this will get worse as studios "push the barrier" in terms of graphics. We have a lot more income to spend on computers than most people, but a lot of people can't and this limits them from playing games on pc in decent quality. Hope this clears up somethings.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 11:59:03 »
Is there graphical complaint on the Gollem game ? Are people saying it looks bad or what ?

From videos I just watched, the artistry seems a bit light, caves look kinda boring, but if they're using raytracing, there's no getting around hardware requirements.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 14:44:41 »
Most recent game I've played is cyberpunk, and that game runs surprisingly well all things considered (Plus I'm not really running on hardware they intended it to run on, despite what minimum requirements will say)
The best days of gaming are behind us, I was glad I could see some of it, but right now it's a split between big companies using them as glorified gambling addiction enablers, "esport bait" games (Valorant, OW, and the rest of their ilk), and "Art" games that are so pretentious the only people who like them are people with an agenda.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 June 2023, 14:59:46 »
That's recommended, not minimum and about what I would expect on a modern game AAA game.

Games are FAR less efficient though and yes, it is getting worse, the internet and operating systems have had the same problem for a while now and for the same reason.
As soon as hardware/networking exceed the software, the software will become less efficient. Optimization costs money and no CEO will spend more than they need especially on games, it's a horrible, horrible industry.

That said, in this case there's an extra variable... It's most likely a port.
Ports are basically just a money grab and they usually do the absolute bare minimum just to get it functional on anything other than the original system.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 00:28:51 »
That's recommended, not minimum and about what I would expect on a modern game AAA game.

Games are FAR less efficient though and yes, it is getting worse, the internet and operating systems have had the same problem for a while now and for the same reason.
As soon as hardware/networking exceed the software, the software will become less efficient. Optimization costs money and no CEO will spend more than they need especially on games, it's a horrible, horrible industry.

That said, in this case there's an extra variable... It's most likely a port.
Ports are basically just a money grab and they usually do the absolute bare minimum just to get it functional on anything other than the original system.

Yeah I think that's it, I was probably over blowing it, I still feel like it will get worse, but it's not as bad as I thought it was.

Most recent game I've played is cyberpunk, and that game runs surprisingly well all things considered (Plus I'm not really running on hardware they intended it to run on, despite what minimum requirements will say)
The best days of gaming are behind us, I was glad I could see some of it, but right now it's a split between big companies using them as glorified gambling addiction enablers, "esport bait" games (Valorant, OW, and the rest of their ilk), and "Art" games that are so pretentious the only people who like them are people with an agenda.

Yeah I heard cyberpunk is fine now, and that they optimized some of it. I just straight up refuse to play new games with micro-transactions and the ones I still do are ones that I'm losing a lot of interest in. And those esport bait games are just so corporate and lifeless, they can never match up to an actual dedicated community like melee, or even counter strike. And I don't really see "art" games like that? I wouldn't see that as a problem anyway.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 01:06:48 »
Greedy publishers, it is rarely the developers fault. We sadly live in an age where publishers force devs to push out unfinished product knowing they can just patch or add dlc later. Also why games like CP202020 and No Man's Sky got much MUCH better only after they were distributed. The current state of the industry for AAA games industry is absolute nightmare garbage. Not even getting into ftp's, mxt's, day1 patches big as the game file, paid dlc for **** that should be standard(like elf language in Gollum)

Absolute trash industry right now if you work for almost any big AAA dev. 

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 01:23:40 »
TBH hat game (Gollum) is a complete miscarriage, and the worst example of 2023 releases.
Been playing Street Fighter 6 the last few days and it's well optimized, runs frame perfect even on high resolutions, and the netcode is beyond stellar, almost witchcraft. So as usual, there are good releases, bad releases, and complete turds. People tend to circle jerk on the turds mostly because of the echo chamber effect of social media. Just play the good ones and ignore Twitter for a while you'll see there are still good developers around ;)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 02:02:17 »
I hate seeing games get completely **** on for just technical issues these days. Especially in an era where games live and die by their initial releases, but are regularly shoved out the door half-baked, it is unfair to the teams who spent years of their lives sacrificing everything only to run out of time or money or be forced to release early. I firmly believe a game should be judged by its merit as a game. Is it fun, is the mechanic loop addictive, is the sound and art direction up to snuff? Not that it comes with DRM or crashes every 10 minutes, these are fixable things that are nothing to do with the core of what a game represents and delivers. It's like judging a painting someone spilled coffee on, you aren't judging the damage the coffee does but the artwork underneath it.

That being said, Gollum is pretty ****. I do think it has nice art direction at times though, but the core mechanic loop is outright unfun, the scenarios and story are depressing, and there was so much that could have been done to make this fun if they only leaned into the character's traits more, but it just wound up being an amalgamation of the worst parts of other good games. Collecting sets of items, guiding slow ass NPCs, stealth sections where you can't kill anything, terrible jumping puzzles. These are mistakes other games made, and Gollum set out to utilize each and every one of them cobbled into something miserable for the player to slog through.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 03:16:51 »
I'd been thinking the opposite. I've been using this old POS PC for six years now and I still play everything on Ultra. It's only got an i5 and GTX 1060 xD .

I'd say it's the lack of AAA games but D4 runs smoothly too....
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 05:10:37 »
TBH hat game (Gollum) is a complete miscarriage, and the worst example of 2023 releases.
Been playing Street Fighter 6 the last few days and it's well optimized, runs frame perfect even on high resolutions, and the netcode is beyond stellar, almost witchcraft. So as usual, there are good releases, bad releases, and complete turds. People tend to circle jerk on the turds mostly because of the echo chamber effect of social media. Just play the good ones and ignore Twitter for a while you'll see there are still good developers around ;)

Is SF6 still 60fps locked ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 13:15:23 »
I'd been thinking the opposite. I've been using this old POS PC for six years now and I still play everything on Ultra. It's only got an i5 and GTX 1060 xD .

I'd say it's the lack of AAA games but D4 runs smoothly too....
It's a few things.

We're hitting the limits of the x86-64 architecture, hardware and software-wise. The days of exponential growth (Moore's Law) is over and your old system is high enough up the diminishing returns curve that it's able to hang on quite well.

Also the current trend is online shooters which depends on response times which is limited by network connections more than the hardware in front of you. Another trend is mobile gaming and free to play/microtransactions, the more eyeballs you capture the more money you can make so designing it for a 4090 is a death sentence. So basically they're building to lowest common denominator they think they can get away with.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 17:03:03 »

Is SF6 still 60fps locked ?

Not on PC, you can run 120fps if you want. Note it has to be a multiple of 60fps because of the game mechanics itself (every action is counted in 1/60th second frames and some actions have to be precise inside 1 or 2 frames).

Offline annyeed

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 11:45:04 »
I was looking at that new lord of the rings gollum game and was absolutely appalled by the system requirements. This the recommended requirements on steam.

Recommended:
        Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
        Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
        Memory: 16 GB RAM
        Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB (with DLSS Quality Setting) / AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT, 12GB
        DirectX: Version 12
        Storage: 45 GB available space
        Additional Notes: at Medium preset and 1080p, Ray Tracing on

Even with ray tracing I feel these are insane requirements. Keep in mind the minimum requirements are much lower, but I still feel that considering that game can run on Nintendo switch, this is way to much. I know that game developers don't care at all about gamers who play on pc, so they don't even remotely care about optimizing the game but this is getting a bit much. Storage sizes are especially bad with modern games. To me I feel this may get worse over time (let's just hope I don't have to take out a second kidney in a several years if I need to upgrade XD)

Would like to know what all of you think about it, and whether I'm over blowing the situation and I hope you have a good day or night!

But I don’t have time to update my computer at all because of these games. They constantly demand more and more.

Online TomahawkLabs

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 13:07:24 »
It's always easier for the companies to say "Get a better PC" than it will be for them to invest on making it work well on a GTX 1060. If you look at the Steam GPU chart the majority of players are playing on 60 and 70 series cards. The 80 and 90 series cards are for enthusiasts who are less concerned about price per FPS/Resolution and more concerned at having the best experience they can. The top 40.94% of cards used are all 50, 60, and 70 series cards across the 16xx, 10xx, 20xx, 30xx, and 40xx generations. If you skip the 3080 at 2.23% you won't find another 80 or 90 series GPU until the 4090 with 0.85% usage.

We are being led astray with social media that "everyone" who games is using the latest and greatest CPU with custom cooling. Most people are playing on what they can afford and are happy.

Games are also being shipped unfinished an unoptimized because the hardware "can" run it and any issues can be dogfooded by the consumers, who are STILL paying for a half baked game, and fix it 3-6 months down the line. Until people stop preordering games and buying them regardless of how they actually run, businesses will continue to sell unfinished/polished games.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 21:54:57 »
It's always easier for the companies to say "Get a better PC" than it will be for them to invest on making it work well on a GTX 1060. If you look at the Steam GPU chart the majority of players are playing on 60 and 70 series cards. The 80 and 90 series cards are for enthusiasts who are less concerned about price per FPS/Resolution and more concerned at having the best experience they can. The top 40.94% of cards used are all 50, 60, and 70 series cards across the 16xx, 10xx, 20xx, 30xx, and 40xx generations. If you skip the 3080 at 2.23% you won't find another 80 or 90 series GPU until the 4090 with 0.85% usage.

We are being led astray with social media that "everyone" who games is using the latest and greatest CPU with custom cooling. Most people are playing on what they can afford and are happy.

Games are also being shipped unfinished an unoptimized because the hardware "can" run it and any issues can be dogfooded by the consumers, who are STILL paying for a half baked game, and fix it 3-6 months down the line. Until people stop preordering games and buying them regardless of how they actually run, businesses will continue to sell unfinished/polished games.

Yeah this practice of games just coming out broken and then "fixing it" afterwards is ridiculous, it's so scummy to just not deliver on the advertised products and then just promise that it will be in a playable state.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 10:22:13 »

To be fair, if I was a game developer I probably wouldn't put much effort into supporting GTX 1060s. They're damn old. 2060 or something I can maybe understand but 1060?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Sniping

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 15:50:03 »
it's mostly on PC. it's pretty sad. consoles are actually super well optimized. i realized this when playing warzone, which is fairly hard to run. it's kind of crazy how good the $500 consoles are compared to PCs when you consider the hardware difference, and it feels pretty sad to see all that raw compute power translate into mediocre performance

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 April 2024, 07:41:41 »
it's mostly on PC. it's pretty sad. consoles are actually super well optimized. i realized this when playing warzone, which is fairly hard to run. it's kind of crazy how good the $500 consoles are compared to PCs when you consider the hardware difference, and it feels pretty sad to see all that raw compute power translate into mediocre performance
Forza Horizon 5 is such a huge example of this. On PC, the graphics look garbage even on maximum settings and it has a huge issue with not detecting VRAM.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 April 2024, 19:34:52 »

Yeah, it's a shame that pc doesn't have the install base, that's the only reason why companies optimise consoles in the first place.

Kinda wish that the steam deck/pc is more accessible so it becomes more popular.