Author Topic: [IC] New aftermarket MX springs  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Etherealsound

[IC] New aftermarket MX springs
« on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 12:31:50 »
Hello everyone!

My name is Etherealsound and I've been in the mech community for 5 years now and have immensely enjoyed being a part of this hobby and community. Being able to customize each board to my liking has been an extremely relaxing part of the hobby but one thing that isn't is sourcing springs. Whether it be getting springs that are not within tolerances or never receiving springs I paid for, it seemed to me that being able to source good quality springs has been an annoyance to me for a while.

So recently, I got in contact with a friend and we discussed this issue and got in contact with another friend of his that says he can make the springs we are looking for. As we are still in the very early stages of working this out, I wanted check to see if there was any interest at all in this community for high quality aftermarket springs! That is, affordable springs with a tolerance of +/-1 that get delivered consistently.

https://forms.gle/xfioeWeRffVLzmjc9

Here is the survey form. I'd very much appreciate if you could take the time to fill it out and I will move on from there!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] New aftermarket MX springs
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 13:12:19 »
Quality springs are becoming easier to acquire, but I will always appreciate more options. Good luck!  :thumb:

Edit: On the form is the spring weight at actuation or bottom out?

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 13:47:27 »
Quality springs are becoming easier to acquire, but I will always appreciate more options. Good luck!  :thumb:

Edit: On the form is the spring weight at actuation or bottom out?

That's true! Exactly why I want to gauge for interest. The spring weight is the bottom out force.     

Offline konradb

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 16:21:38 »
Any information about the curves of the springs? I really enjoy the slow/flat curve of Gateron Yellows. Would love to get something like this in different weights.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 18:41:04 »
Totally interested in more options for springs.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 21:58:11 »
Something that is not given enough attention is spring pre-load, which is determined by spring length. Pre-load affects the ratio of the Y-crossing value (force needed to start movement) vs bottom-out, which means that for any given bottom-out weight, there can be a variety of force slopes. It would be nice for a manufacturer to be cognizant of this.

I also like what SPRiT is doing with the progressive springs, but their springs lengths are so varied I've had to sort them based on length to have any kind of consistency, which is a painstaking process. The end result, though, is that I have progressive springs sorted by varying amounts of pre-load, which is awesome. The shortest 72g progressives feel much different than the longest in (for example) v2 Zealios. It would be nice to have this level of control without the painstaking / error-prone sorting task. I have no idea how much demand there is for it, though, as I don't think I've heard anyone talking about any of these things before...

Offline konradb

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 02:51:22 »
I'd love to see more science in spring production. We care so much about switches curves, but the spring is such an important part.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 02:56:42 »
Any spring that doesn't ping or crunch and has an accurate weight is a spring worth getting in my books. Go for it!

Offline jooobe

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 August 2019, 19:34:28 »
Form filled

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk