Author Topic: Something to rest your fingers on!  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
Something to rest your fingers on!
« on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:24:09 »
Okey, wasn't a hundred percent sure as to where to put this thread, but I figured the ergonomics would be a nice fit.

I recently bought a HHKB Pro 2, and I've had it for about a month now. I really like it, 'n all that, but I've noticed one thing that's ended up really buggin' me. The keyboard I had before my HHKB was a Razer Lycosa, and the case was quite "big", if you could puy it that way. Whenever I wasn't typing I got into the habit of resting my pinky on the case at the left side of the board. However, on the cases like the HHKB, QFR, Ducky TKL and so forth there's no "spare plastic" on the sides, per say. In other words, there's nowhere to rest my pinky! Stupid ass question, but I'll ask anyways; do you think this is a habit I'm gonna be able to change? And has anyone had the same "problem" ? :O I'm seriously considering buying a Blackwidow Tournament edition, simply because it has that extra plastic on the left side of the alphas.

Offline Kiwi_321

Re: Something to rest your fingers on!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 20:19:51 »
100% just a habit. It will annoy you for maybe a fortnight, then you will have learnt to stop.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 12:02:23 »
Put the keyboard on a thick cloth mousepad (QcK Heavy or say MM200XL) and rest your hands on it, when not typing.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 03:28:15 »
100% just a habit. It will annoy you for maybe a fortnight, then you will have learnt to stop.
Well, it has annoyed me for 'bout two weeks now... but it's still just a habit I need to get rid off I guess.. had the same problem when I bought my mouse.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 03:07:27 »
I'd say you'll get used to it. I tend to rest my left pinkie on the outer edges of the left hand keycaps on my Pure. Didn't really think about it until I read this thread, lol. If you buy a palm rest you may find it easier to get used to since the weight will be taken off your fingers when not typing.

If you don't get used to it, perhaps a Ducky Mini is the board for you?

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 04:59:17 »
I'd say you'll get used to it. I tend to rest my left pinkie on the outer edges of the left hand keycaps on my Pure. Didn't really think about it until I read this thread, lol. If you buy a palm rest you may find it easier to get used to since the weight will be taken off your fingers when not typing.

Show Image

O damn.. that's hella sexy... well, u might have got a point! I really like topres, but I'm considering to get mx because of keycap availability.. I honestly do NOT like the PBT on the HHKB. It's so damn slippery.. there's no "grip" to it, which is annoying when typing. It's okey while gaming though.. I honestly liked the grip that the ABS on the Razer BW had, even though the keycaps obviously felt WAY cheaper.
But back to topic; if Ima get myself a 60% mx the mini is defo on top of the list.. it is basically a poker 2, isn't it? I loved the case though :D

EDIT: I've looking a bit around.. is the ducky mini (with that alu case) yet available? Well.. I actually found a couple that were sold out at a british ducky vendor ^^' My point is, would there be an easy way to get hold of a ducky mini nowadays? Anyone knows wether teraset will get more in stock? (I'm gonna send a mail)
And as far as keycap compatibility goes, there's no non-standard keys, are there? (except ISO ofc)
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 August 2014, 15:24:51 by Sagii »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 11:38:15 »
I honestly do NOT like the PBT on the HHKB. It's so damn slippery.. there's no "grip" to it

That's odd, I could say the exact opposite about it.

Make sure the keycaps are clean, sometimes if I'm eating chips while at the computer (gross, I know) the keycaps will get a little greasy which can cause that slippery effect. This is why I've recently learned to eat chips using chopsticks  :p

Offline Sagii

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 12:04:50 »
I honestly do NOT like the PBT on the HHKB. It's so damn slippery.. there's no "grip" to it

That's odd, I could say the exact opposite about it.

Make sure the keycaps are clean, sometimes if I'm eating chips while at the computer (gross, I know) the keycaps will get a little greasy which can cause that slippery effect. This is why I've recently learned to eat chips using chopsticks  :p
Nah.. that ain't the problem. I wash my fingers every time I use the HHKB. I find it quite odd that I feel like that, considering most people feel the exact opposite.. my fingers slide around like it's no man's business on these PBT caps.. As said, the ABS on a Razer BW felt better (regarding "grip"), even though they fely dirt cheap!

EDIT: eating chips with chopsticks sounds kinda weird, but it sounds genius at the same time :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 05:11:18 by Sagii »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 05:21:13 »

Show Image

O damn.. that's hella sexy... well, u might have got a point! I really like topres, but I'm considering to get mx because of keycap availability.. I honestly do NOT like the PBT on the HHKB. It's so damn slippery.. there's no "grip" to it, which is annoying when typing. It's okey while gaming though.. I honestly liked the grip that the ABS on the Razer BW had, even though the keycaps obviously felt WAY cheaper.
But back to topic; if Ima get myself a 60% mx the mini is defo on top of the list.. it is basically a poker 2, isn't it? I loved the case though :D

EDIT: I've looking a bit around.. is the ducky mini (with that alu case) yet available? Well.. I actually found a couple that were sold out at a british ducky vendor ^^' My point is, would there be an easy way to get hold of a ducky mini nowadays? Anyone knows wether teraset will get more in stock? (I'm gonna send a mail)
And as far as keycap compatibility goes, there's no non-standard keys, are there? (except ISO ofc)

You can preorder them here: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=953

They're not widely available yet. Yup, they have standard keycap sizes.

If you like Topre, but want to change keycaps you could also wait a bit more for the CMStorm Novatouch. It has 45g Topre switches like the HHBK Pro 2, but in TKL format and with MX compatible switch stems so you can put Cherry MX keycaps on it  :D Looks like it'll be fairly expensive, though. They appeared by accident on the site for preorder at 200$ each, but it was a mistake. Still, I think the price was legitimate. If you really prefer the HHKB Pro 2 layout than TKL and you don't mind spending a lot to get MX keycap compatibility, you could buy a Novatouch and transfer the stems from it to the HHKB.....
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 05:28:47 »

Show Image

You can preorder them here: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=953

They're not widely available yet. Yup, they have standard keycap sizes.

If you like Topre, but want to change keycaps you could also wait a bit more for the CMStorm Novatouch. It has 45g Topre switches like the HHBK Pro 2, but in TKL format and with MX compatible switch stems so you can put Cherry MX keycaps on it  :D Looks like it'll be fairly expensive, though. They appeared by accident on the site for preorder at 200$ each, but it was a mistake. Still, I think the price was legitimate. If you really prefer the HHKB Pro 2 layout than TKL and you don't mind spending a lot to get MX keycap compatibility, you could buy a Novatouch and transfer the stems from it to the HHKB.....

Yeah, I know about the Nova, but I've recently found out that I really like to have backlit keyboards :)) At the same time.. I like topre, but I'd also like to test out some other switches (considering brown at this point). And nah, having BOTH a HHKB and a Novatouch really isn't compatible with my budget! I'm a student, yo :)) Anyways.. the Ducky Mini is really interesting, and being able to have a 60% with an ISO layout is even better! :D I'll defo keep an eye out for the Ducky Mini :) Haven't found any with brown switches though, but as you said, they're not widely available yet, so I'll wait a few weeks/months.
Another reason why I'd like a Ducky Mini is because of the programmability (yes,I know the poker 2 has it as well). But hell, I love the look of the Mini, especially being able to have purple LEDs ^^ (yes, once again, I know that's moddable)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 07:23:42 »
The Ducky Mini does sound like a good option for you, then.

Here's an option to give your wallet a heart attack: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/

Really nice custom boards, though  ;) He completely customises the board including modding the switches, replacing springs, lubing, etc. Probably best kept as an option for once you have tried more switches / boards and know exactly what you want your ultimate board to have.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Sagii

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 August 2014, 08:42:07 »
The Ducky Mini does sound like a good option for you, then.

Here's an option to give your wallet a heart attack: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/

Really nice custom boards, though  ;) He completely customises the board including modding the switches, replacing springs, lubing, etc. Probably best kept as an option for once you have tried more switches / boards and know exactly what you want your ultimate board to have.

Yeah, korean customs are awesome, that's for sure. Especially GON's 60%s ! But damn, ain't gonna rip my wallet apart just yet :)) As of right now I really want the Ducky Mini.. just gotta wait 'till it comes out with browns ^^' (it will, won't it?)