Author Topic: QMX Clip Sound Comparison (vs. non-qmx clips)  (Read 6167 times)

Offline VentureG

QMX Clip Sound Comparison (vs. non-qmx clips)
« on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 13:28:29 »
So there have been a few reviews of QMX clips but none actually on completed keyboards. Well I wanted a quiet board and I was willing to give PCB mounted boards a try. Here's my comparison video:

Skip to 2:30 to see the direct comparison.

While the sound difference is pretty dramatic, people are going to wonder how it feels. It does reduce travel distance, but it is past the tactile bump of zealios. The landing and lift are both softer, sort of mushy but I like to describe it as "cushioned", or "muffled" more than mushy.

I'd imagine this is what silenced topre feels like, or at least as close as I can get while still using an MX switch. Novatouch here we come! Thanks for taking a look.

Offline VentureG

Re: QMX Clip Sound Comparison (vs. non-qmx clips)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 18:22:31 »
A reddit user pointed out that they've had trouble using QMX clips with GMK keycaps. I've reproduced the issue with SA profile caps. The clearance of the qmx's rubber isn't quite wide enough to accommodate for the keycap's stem and the inherent wobble of the switches' stem.

For reference the diameter of the qmx's opening is 6.3mm while GMK and SA keycap stems are 5.4mm. The PBT keycaps I'm using have a 4.9mm stem diameter and do not experience the catching issues that the other keycaps do.

If possible I'd measure the diameter of the keycaps' stem you're planning to  use with QMX clips. This is a major issue and I wouldn't recommend them if you're planning on using SP's SA or GMK keycaps.

Edit: It appears the issue is traced back to QMX + Zealios. The Zealio stem/housing size interferes with the clip in some way. The QMX clips work perfectly fine with Cherry MX switches.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2016, 19:33:00 by VentureG »

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 19:45:04 »
Would QMX clips even work for SA caps considering how deep they are?  Similar to how o-rings don't work either

Offline VentureG

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 April 2016, 23:53:48 »
Would QMX clips even work for SA caps considering how deep they are?  Similar to how o-rings don't work either

They do seem to help a bit with the down stroke, though it's not as dramatic as the cherry profile keys I'm using. The upstroke is just as dampened, though.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 00:03:10 »
I haven't been able to find a good place to buy these clips. I was so excited when MassDrop had them, but that failed. Where did you get them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk