Author Topic: Headphone Thread.  (Read 1309180 times)

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
Re: Headphone Thread.
« Reply #4650 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 17:12:25 »
I'll look into those! Whatever I buy though, it will be a few months, because I've got a few bills to pay before I can make a purchase. I've bought a pair of Sport-A-Pros to tide me over, and will probably keep them as a backup set for problems in the future. Any Superlux recommendations that might be around or under 100 bucks?

Edit: wow, these headphones are pretty inexpensive for what they offer. I'll consider returning the Sport-a-pros and getting some HD-681 Evos and see how I like them. Seems those are the Superlux cans to go for.

Edit Edit: Heh, my mom apparently decided I should have a pair of V6's again. Apparently she didn't like me having to settle for "cheaper" cans.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 December 2017, 18:45:33 by Carcharocles »
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #4651 on: Sun, 31 December 2017, 20:49:38 »
Order a set of three headphone hangers/mounts from Aliexpress, took almost three weeks to get to me, but I like what I saw. I had to bend the tips/edges a fair bit more, I found the stock angle of the tips to be not steep enough to prevent a can from sliding off in the event of an accident knock or nudge against my headphone rack.

I mounted these headphone mounts at the bottom most tier of my headphone rack, I can now hang all my full-sized cans on it. I took the pic in my spare room, so it's messy, but I'll be shifting to a dinky new apartment where I can put this rack in a right and proper setting.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :D  Hope 2018 brings joy, happiness and wealth for everyone! :thumb:  Let's not forget more audio fun for everyone! :cool:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4652 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 18:01:44 »
Has anyone had experience with Moon Audio cables?
https://www.moon-audio.com/

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4653 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 18:48:21 »

They are walking distance from my house. I could go up there this week and get the inside scoop on their stuff. I need to go test some amps anyway.
At first impression their prices seem a bit steep.
-Dana

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4654 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 19:28:37 »

They are walking distance from my house. I could go up there this week and get the inside scoop on their stuff. I need to go test some amps anyway.

Hell yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering; How would their different cables pair with a tube amp, since they state the Black warms up the sound which I am quite dubious of. Also curious if there's any real difference at all between the Blue and Silver.
But dropping $200+ on a headphone cable seems silly to me, just not much option for the EL-8's weird connector and the stock cable is short and poorly made.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4655 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 19:35:37 »

Hell yeah, that's exactly what I was wondering; How would their different cables pair with a tube amp, since they state the Black warms up the sound which I am quite dubious of. Also curious if there's any real difference at all between the Blue and Silver.
But dropping $200+ on a headphone cable seems silly to me, just not much option for the EL-8's weird connector and the stock cable is short and poorly made.

So apparently they dont have a showroom that i can stop by and see but it sounds like i can make an appointment to come by. But apparently their cables are legit - albeit I cant imagine the difference between a $50 hand made cable, and a $300 hand made cable being that big but I guess when you're dealing with $10k audio setups who am I to discriminate where people spend their money.
"You spent how much on a cable that only has 2% more pure copper than the $10 one on amazon?!"
"You spent how much on a rubber dome keyboard with fancy key caps?!"

to each their own.

I wonder if some of the nerds on headfi DIY would do a nice set for a lot cheaper?

-Dana

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4656 on: Mon, 01 January 2018, 22:45:33 »
Gah! The plastic connection between the headband and an earcup on my Audio Technica ATH-M40 broke.
I welded it together with Poly Cement (solvent for ABS) but I don't know if that will hold up. May be too tiny to put some reinforcing epoxy and fibreglass in there...
Using my Shure 840 now instead.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4657 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 06:11:37 »
Mmm, anyone interested in getting VE Monk Plus?

I have a pair with the expansion pack and don't really need them. Could ship someone a pair if you pay shipping (<$5). I know there cheap from the shop as is but I'm from EU and shipping within EU would be quicker.

Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4658 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 07:54:49 »

THESE ARE MY HEADPHONES. THEY ARE DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR USE WITH WINDOWS 98 AND VIEWING MULTIMEDIA ON INTERNET EXPLORER 6. THESE ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES YOU CAN PURCHASE FOR THE MONEY. ANY OTHER MORE EXPENSIVE HEADPHONES ARE NOTHING BUT A WASTE OF MONEY, JUST LIKE CRAPPLE MACINTRASH COMPUTING PRODUCTS. REMEMBER: GET WINDOWS 98, GET INTERNET EXPLORER 6, AND GET A GOOD SET OF HEADPHONES LIKE THESE WHILE YOU ARE AT IT AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT! MY SET OF HEADPHONES I HAD PERSONALLY AUTOGRAPHED BY HILLARY CLINTON IN 1997. I WANTED TO SELL THEM AT A PROFIT, BUT THEN THE RUSSIANS STOLE THE ELECTION AND GAVE IT TO DONALD TRUMP, WHO IS LIKE LITERALLY HITLER. THEREFORE, YOU CAN JOIN THE RESISTANCE BY PURCHASING A SET OF THESE HEADPHONES, ALONG WITH A SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION INTERNET EXPLORER MOUSEPAD FOR A LOW PRICE OF ONLY THREE EASY PAYMENTS OF $49.99. BUT DON'T WAIT! CALL NOW! 1-800-WIN-1998. I REPEAT! CALL RIGHT NOW SO YOU CAN ENJOY THIS LIMITED TIME OFFER BEFORE IT EXPIRES! TIME IS RUNNING OUT! ALSO, 1% OF ALL PROCEEDS WILL BE GIVEN TO STARVING CHILDREN IN UGANDA. SO WHY ARE YOU WAITING? WHY HAVEN'T YOU ORDERED ONE YET? THE TIME TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE WITH THESE INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS IS RIGHT NOW!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4659 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 10:23:14 »

I have a couple of Moon Audio cables. A while back I experimented with some cables when I was trying to sort through anecdotal stories of headphones being transformed by new cables.

I purchased a Black Dragon V2 for my HD800 and to my surprise, it made a small but noticeable difference in the sound. I wouldn't say the copper cable warmed the sound or anything so transformative but it shaved a little energy off the top end and gave the lower mids a little more body.

I also have a Silver Dragon V3 for the Hifiman HE500 and other than eliminating the annoying microphonics of the stock cable, it made no discernable difference to the sound.

If you want a high quality, well put together cable, the Moon Audio offerings are good, but I think they are a little overpriced for what they are (just cables).
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4660 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 17:55:34 »

I have a couple of Moon Audio cables. A while back I experimented with some cables when I was trying to sort through anecdotal stories of headphones being transformed by new cables.

I purchased a Black Dragon V2 for my HD800 and to my surprise, it made a small but noticeable difference in the sound. I wouldn't say the copper cable warmed the sound or anything so transformative but it shaved a little energy off the top end and gave the lower mids a little more body.

I also have a Silver Dragon V3 for the Hifiman HE500 and other than eliminating the annoying microphonics of the stock cable, it made no discernable difference to the sound.

If you want a high quality, well put together cable, the Moon Audio offerings are good, but I think they are a little overpriced for what they are (just cables).

Someone else suggested Norne Audio, stating that they use higher quality parts sourcing than Moon but I've no biases on that.
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4661 on: Thu, 04 January 2018, 01:19:33 »
Someone else suggested Norne Audio, stating that they use higher quality parts sourcing than Moon but I've no biases on that.

I had originally wanted to try their cables (back when they were called Norse Audio) but they weren’t taking orders at the time. That’s how I ended up with the Moon Audio cables. I may still give Norne cables a try because I think they look cool.

Offline mauri

« Reply #4662 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 11:54:22 »
My headphones kept disconnecting and connecting and after troubleshooting it'd seem the culprit is the 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm jack adapter. How is something like that even possible? There are 0 moving parts ?? Please sound engineers explain ??
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 11:59:16 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4663 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:02:48 »
My headphones kept disconnecting and connecting and after troubleshooting it'd seem the culprit is the 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm jack adapter. How is something like that even possible? There are 0 moving parts ?? Please sound engineers explain ??

loose soldering for the wiring inside?

Offline mauri

« Reply #4664 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 12:12:18 »
Don't think there's any wiring inside the connector or is there? But yeah, apparently the adapters do wear out :o

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4665 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 22:06:43 »
Just got this one in today. Audeze LCD-X!
Sorry for the potato; my PC is out of commission and new MacBook is in the mail so I can't edit photos from my DSLR  :'(

I've been listening for most of the evening and it's fantastic. I've never heard a headphone that can render such detail but still remain perfectly smooth across the entire spectrum without a hint of sibilance or harshness. Treble is smooth and flat, mids are warm and the bass reaches down seemingly endlessly. Vocals are to die for.

Imaging is sharp and accurate. It always sounds effortless, never muddled, even with complex music like classical. The soundstage has great layering and moderate depth. By comparison, the HD800 has more air between the instruments but everything sounds like it's on the other side of a large room and spread way out.

The HD800 creates a perception of greater micro-detail due to its slightly boosted treble. The LCD-X has a much more natural sound than the HD800. I'm amazed by its ability to retain detail but stay so smooth. LCD-X is a real winner!

If only it was a few ounces lighter...

For reference, my source is Bifrost 4490 into Violectric V200.
I want to upgrade my Bifrost to multibit but I don't want to be without it for weeks while it's away at Schiit! First world problems...  :p

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #4666 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 09:06:36 »

check out periaptcables.com , it's way more reasonably priced... don't spend like $200 on a cable only to then have to fight buyers remorse by defending it and believing it made a difference. if you however really want that style and the cash don't hurt, by all means, go ahead... I mean, we spend around 60-100$ on keyboard cables here too so... ;) (it's only about the aesthetics though, not that we have a real benefit of it)
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2018, 09:10:00 by rioc »

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #4667 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 17:10:40 »
I know this a headphone thread but you guys seem to be fond of Schiit stuff so figured I'd show my setup.

The headphones are Hifiman HE-500 and Audeze LCD-X. On the top I have a Schiit Saga (with a Tung Sol reissue 6SN7) and Schiit Bifrost 4490. On the bottom is the Schiit Vidar driving a pair of KEF LS50. Headphone amp (out of frame) is a Violectric V200.

The Saga is a pretty cool preamp. It has a relay stepped attenuator for volume control which can be controlled from a remote. The Vidar is a power amp with a beefy power supply that drives the LS50s with authority.

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 05:54:16 by Rayoui »

Offline mauri

« Reply #4668 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 11:22:20 »
Don't think there's any wiring inside the connector or is there? But yeah, apparently the adapters do wear out :o

Apparently that was just hopeful thinking. Probably not proper connection through the amplifier? I have no way of testing whether it's the amplifier, dac or something else though.

Offline rioc

« Reply #4669 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 02:00:37 »
anyone here who has LCD-2C and M1060 (open or closed) and which one would you recommend more? (ignoring the price difference)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4670 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 08:47:11 »
I know this a headphone thread but you guys seem to be fond of Schiit stuff so figured I'd show my setup.

The headphones are Hifiman HE-500 and Audeze LCD-X. On the top I have a Schiit Saga (with a Tung Sol reissue 6SN7) and Schiit Bifrost 4490. On the bottom is the Schiit Vidar driving a pair of KEF LS50. Headphone amp (out of frame) is a Violectric V200.

The Saga is a pretty cool preamp. It has a relay stepped attenuator for volume control which can be controlled from a remote. The Vidar is a power amp with a beefy power supply that drives the LS50s with authority.

Show Image

#HeadphoneGoals
Holy moly that's quite the setup.
I am ultra budget audiophile - even though I do listen to a lot of music. I suppose it doesn't take much to make me happy. :D

Offline the_fascist

« Reply #4671 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 02:36:16 »
SteelSeries Siberia 800.  They're pretty neat since they have two batteries you can swap out, but they're kind of tight and uncomfortable to wear for too long.. Maybe it's my head.

Offline Kaorix

• kaorix.me
« Reply #4672 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 04:15:31 »
I run Shure SRH-840s through a Technics SA340 amp.
The only me is me, are you sure the only you is you?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4673 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 11:20:18 »
I run Shure SRH-840s through a Technics SA340 amp.
I have mine in the headphone jack of the front on my PC, and that works for me. :-þ
My hearing is far from perfect anyway ...

Offline JP

« Reply #4674 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 19:54:22 »
Here's mine: Sony mdr 7506

194422-0
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4675 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 09:17:59 »
Here's mine: Sony mdr 7506

(Attachment Link)

lol i literally just got a pair of these from work yesterday

they're aight
I love Elzy

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4676 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 06:29:46 »
Looking for a pair of wireless overears for around 3/400 (+ if they have anc) are bose or sony the best? Been looking at the v moda crossfade 2, anyone tried them out?

Very busy with studies atm.

Offline rioc

« Reply #4677 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 07:04:31 »
Looking for a pair of wireless overears for around 3/400 (+ if they have anc) are bose or sony the best? Been looking at the v moda crossfade 2, anyone tried them out?

Show Image

from those two I'd go for the Sony... I quite like the Bowers & Wilkins PX though, check them out.

the Sonys will beat them regarding ANC and Soundquality, but the build quality and the looks are top notch
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2018, 07:14:12 by rioc »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #4678 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 11:44:58 »

Show Image

from those two I'd go for the Sony... I quite like the Bowers & Wilkins PX though, check them out.

the Sonys will beat them regarding ANC and Soundquality, but the build quality and the looks are top notch
Thanks for the tips! I really like the look of the B&W but I've heard that people are complaining about the fit for longer hours of use. However a store in town have both ready to try so I'll make sure to go there on thursday :D
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4679 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 20:40:55 »
Picked up a pair of NiceHCK EBX (chi-fi) while on their anniversary sale and I've been incredibly impressed. Almost comparible to my isine 20's.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 June 2018, 15:49:39 by do_Og@n »

Offline rioc

« Reply #4680 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 03:53:01 »

Show Image

Thanks for the tips! I really like the look of the B&W but I've heard that people are complaining about the fit for longer hours of use. However a store in town have both ready to try so I'll make sure to go there on thursday :D

yeah, trying them on in person is the best way to go about this stuff :)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4681 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:28:36 »

Show Image

Also look into this pair:

https://mo-electronics.com/beryllium-acoustic.html

They are exactly the same as the RBH HP2's except they are wireless. They are much cheaper that the price range you're looking at but are getting a lot of good reviews on Head-Fi. Plus their bass is just about the best in headphones I've ever heard.

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #4682 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 22:21:47 »
My Cans:
Sony MDR-Z7 (Great close ear)
Focal Elear (Great open)
Bose QC 35 (Great Noise Cancelling wireless)
Topping DX7 Dac/Amp

Not the best of everything, but just good enough to have a little bit of everything.

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #4683 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:19:47 »
I've owned some of the best headphones including the Focal Utopias and recently listened to the Susvaras and Orpheus and my favorite headphones are still the HD800S for open-ear and Sony Z1R for closed ear. I wasn't that impressed with the Orpheus honestly and the 800S has better detail and soundstage that the Utopias, it just outclasses them completely.

Offline Deephouse_jedi

« Reply #4684 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:01:24 »
I use Audio-technica ATH-AD700X, best bang for the buck while holding an amazing sound stage for gaming. Not a lot of bass if that's what you're into, but I use these for gaming mostly.

Offline nonpolar

« Reply #4685 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:15:12 »
Anyone else here ever had the Oppo PM3? Big fan of it, but the pleather did not age well at all, and the company went under. Trying to see if there's anything else out there that can fit its category with closed backs in that price category.

Offline quazikun

« Reply #4686 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 19:31:00 »
sennheiser hd 558's, not super expensive for the value and better sound than most all-in-one headsets

Offline mittyzz

• Pet kitties play with _______...
« Reply #4687 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:44:49 »
I've had my Audio Tech A700s for so long now...things are tanks.

Offline carnagex9

« Reply #4688 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 11:35:11 »
I've had my Audio Tech A700s for so long now...things are tanks.

I have the same ones, absolutely love them.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #4689 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 14:11:16 »
Potato shot of my computer setup. ZMF Eikon camphor, DT1990 pro, HD6xx, thx00 ebony.

| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #4690 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 14:16:18 »
Potato shot of my computer setup. ZMF Eikon camphor, DT1990 pro, HD6xx, thx00 ebony.

Show Image

ZMF are so damn good looking. Maybe some day...
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline NJWootton

« Reply #4691 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:14:17 »
Currently rocking Beyerdynamic DT770s w/ detachable cable mod + JDS Labs ObjectiveDAC

Offline haanuman

« Reply #4692 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 01:11:15 »
Can anyone let me know if there are any good bluetooth headphones under 150$ I was searching on amazon and found one by Sony but it works only on bluetooth meaning if battery is dead then can't use a 3.5mm cable to use it.

Offline rioc

« Reply #4693 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 04:40:14 »
Can anyone let me know if there are any good bluetooth headphones under 150$ I was searching on amazon and found one by Sony but it works only on bluetooth meaning if battery is dead then can't use a 3.5mm cable to use it.

Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4694 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 22:57:21 »

Gonna post these ones as a suggestion again.

https://mo-electronics.com/beryllium-acoustic.html

They are the BT version of RBH Sounds HP-2 headphones marketed by MO Electronics. GREAT bass while keeping the mids and highs clean. Here's the Head-fi forum on it for other reviews and opinions:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/rbh-hp-2-ultralight-beryllium-headphones.789653/

You can find them on Amazon for around 120 to 130 bucks plus you can use them as regular headphones with a regular 3.5mm cable if the battery runs out.

Offline adoringbunny

• ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*
« Reply #4695 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 15:45:40 »
So happy for this thread! I've had a set of SteelSeries for probably, I don't know, 10 years now and while they work okay, they're very old and I feel like it's past time to get something new. Definitely going to be reading back through this thread for some ideas.

Offline rioc

« Reply #4696 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 04:38:23 »
So happy for this thread! I've had a set of SteelSeries for probably, I don't know, 10 years now and while they work okay, they're very old and I feel like it's past time to get something new. Definitely going to be reading back through this thread for some ideas.

what budget you looking at?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4697 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 05:22:18 »

Yeah budget would be nice to know.
Also I am a fan of buying a 'proper' headset and then a modmic if you do need the microphone.
Just feels to me that a lot of the gamer brands aren't actually that good in sound.

Offline rioc

« Reply #4698 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 07:11:42 »

Yeah budget would be nice to know.
Also I am a fan of buying a 'proper' headset and then a modmic if you do need the microphone.
Just feels to me that a lot of the gamer brands aren't actually that good in sound.

don't bother with a modmic, just get a desktop mic and have a cable less to mess with ;)

Offline SJHL

« Reply #4699 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 19:44:35 »

First time working with audio cable. Previously had Logitech G930.