Author Topic: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide  (Read 443915 times)

Offline jeroplane

Re: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 20:36:40 »
Ah cool. I've picked up some Clears anyway so perhaps I'll just test a few Browns vs. Clears after lubing and stickering. My daily driver is Blues but I also like using Reds, so it's a tough choice for me.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:02:58 »
Damn, $20-30 is a lot for enough lube for likely every board here on GH...

They sell any smaller bottles? 

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #202 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:25:44 »
Damn, $20-30 is a lot for enough lube for likely every board here on GH...

They sell any smaller bottles? 

You might want to try super lube, I quite like it. It's thicker so it dampens/muffles the key stroke but also keeps it butter smooth.
http://www.amazon.com/Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353911055&sr=8-1&keywords=super+lube

I'd send you some, but I don't know how I'd ship it
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 00:48:03 »
It's good for applying to both the sliders and spring? 

I'm looking at just using it on Clears/Browns/Blacks.

Hmm, if you can think of a super small container you could squeeze some into, or maybe even just a plastic bag, I could give you a few $$ for stamps?

Offline nevin

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 01:22:32 »
i have not read through the whole thread... but, i do have some suggestions... years ago i used to race R/C cars and there are lots of dry-type spray lubes that you spray on/in, it evaporates very quickly & leaves a slick surface, not wet, but slick. almost all of these are safe on electronics. before the "big boom" in gas R/C cars, everything was electric motors & NiCad batteries.... Yes, NiCad. electric motor spray may also be good to clean out old/lube-coagulated switches. we used motor spray regularly to clean out the electric motors after races or while breaking in a new motor to clean the comm while the brushes were wearing in. if you have a local hobby shop, pop-in & see what they have, you might be surprised.

Hell, you may even be able to depress the stem, and spray some in. (while keyboard is unplugged of course! the aerosol propellant is probably flammable, just to be safe) without having to open switch or desolder.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2012, 01:24:32 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #205 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 03:00:03 »
i have not read through the whole thread... but, i do have some suggestions... years ago i used to race R/C cars and there are lots of dry-type spray lubes that you spray on/in, it evaporates very quickly & leaves a slick surface, not wet, but slick. almost all of these are safe on electronics. before the "big boom" in gas R/C cars, everything was electric motors & NiCad batteries.... Yes, NiCad. electric motor spray may also be good to clean out old/lube-coagulated switches. we used motor spray regularly to clean out the electric motors after races or while breaking in a new motor to clean the comm while the brushes were wearing in. if you have a local hobby shop, pop-in & see what they have, you might be surprised.

Hell, you may even be able to depress the stem, and spray some in. (while keyboard is unplugged of course! the aerosol propellant is probably flammable, just to be safe) without having to open switch or desolder.

That is some good advice. The lubricants mentioned in this thread are indeed primarily used for RC/pinewood car racing, so many lubricants found in hobby shops that cater to those things will be suitable for MX switches.

However, I believe people have reported very poor results when applying lube without removing the switch top, ruining the feel of the switch.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #206 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 07:00:39 »
i have not read through the whole thread... but, i do have some suggestions... years ago i used to race R/C cars and there are lots of dry-type spray lubes that you spray on/in, it evaporates very quickly & leaves a slick surface, not wet, but slick. almost all of these are safe on electronics.
What sort of technology do these lubricants you speak of use?

Does it count as "grease"?

I was told grease will travel around and leak out, for example if you ship your keyboard, it gets flipped upside down or sideways and then shaken violently for hours on end and all the grease will leak out everywhere.

Or does it count as some sort of "binding teflon"?

Which supposedly bonds to metal and plastic and won't ever leak.

The reason I ask is because I am horribly disabled by pain and no way I can learn to solder/desolder like this.  I can't even leave my apartment.  So I am thinking of hiring a geekhacker to lube my springs for me and I could pay $200.00 for the service or whatever they say is fair.  But this means my keyboard(s) get shipped and shaken violently while sideways or upside down.

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline nevin

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 16:27:06 »
However, I believe people have reported very poor results when applying lube without removing the switch top, ruining the feel of the switch.

yeah, now that i think about it... being an aerosol, the stuff comes out very fast and even a quick blast, may be too much.

--

motor spray
- Duratrax Power Shot Motor Spray
- T.A. Emerald Performance Plus 3 Motor Spray

if you search tower hobbies site (one of the big online/catalog stores in US), you should find them as well as links to the manufacturer's sites. neither of these mention any kind of lube/friction resistance, but these are two examples of what i was talking about.

the one i used to use (bought at local hobby shop) was a huge econo-sized aerosol can with a generic looking hot pink label that wrapped the can. like a b/w photo-copy on that fluorescent pink looking paper. i'll have to dig & see if it's still in my pit box.

as far as lubes, silicon was the hot item at the time, the teflon stuff wasn't around/readily available (or public) yet.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2012, 16:29:51 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 11:03:52 »
Hi everyone,
A question, is it possible to lube switch with ky? I have a friend who are a distributor of ky. I can get them for free and as much as I want :)

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 11:08:34 »
Hi everyone,
A question, is it possible to lube switch with ky? I have a friend who are a distributor of ky. I can get them for free and as much as I want :)

Sure dude. You can lube your switches and yourself at the same time

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 11:09:40 »
Make sure you get the tingly one.  I heard the MX switches like that...

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 01:05:44 »
Wasn't there a thread about how someone used sex lube and it was disastrous? It dried out to a sticky consistency and ruined the switches if I remember correctly.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 19 December 2012, 07:57:33 »
That would have to be water based, hence why it ruined the switch...

V-TEC KICKED IN YO!

Offline kbfreak

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #213 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 07:00:57 »
Very good concept and great tutorial. Seems quite time consuming though. How long did it take to finish lubing all keys on a standard keyboard?

Offline Beherith

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 01 January 2013, 15:05:23 »
I have a kinesis advantage with brown stems, and Im not too happy with the raspyness of the tactile bump. I just ordered some GPL 205 off ebay, as it is available for $9 for 1/4oz. Hopefully I can achieve the cloud of boobs, with this or by switching to red stems.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:17:29 »
[Group buy] Krytox GPL 200 [Order cutoff - January 7]

http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/krytox-gpl-200-t4737.html
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline rek55

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:20:56 »
I've only lubed up the stabilizer's on my Das (they were squeaky). I had read something which suggested I use white lithium grease. Is that suitable for the stems as well, or would that not work very well?

My future Das Ultimate S, all modded up. For now, it's a bit more black.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:23:12 »
I read some random stuff about ergo-clears supposedly 'sticking'. Would lubricating help this?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:24:07 »
I read some random stuff about ergo-clears supposedly 'sticking'. Would lubricating help this?
probably but the 100% new ones ive always put together have never stuck

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:52:04 »
Anyone have a source for Krytox GPL 103? Seems like 205 is good for sliders, but I want some 103 for the springs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #220 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 17:08:04 »
Anyone have a source for Krytox GPL 103? Seems like 205 is good for sliders, but I want some 103 for the springs.
205 good for springs too though needs a little bit of work in

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 17:10:45 »
Just join my krytox 200 groupbuy as it is less viscous than 205, but wont run everywhere like 103.
R.I.P.ster

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 19:36:27 »

I had a key sticking after I modded my Poker to Ergo Clears with stickers and lube. Tried to lube it a little more but that didn't help it. I think sticking just happens when you get an unlucky combination of spring + stem + housing. Mainly the spring - if it is slightly lighter then it won't push the stem back up properly.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Cherry MX Switch Lubrication Guide
« Reply #223 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 01:26:44 »

I had a key sticking after I modded my Poker to Ergo Clears with stickers and lube. Tried to lube it a little more but that didn't help it. I think sticking just happens when you get an unlucky combination of spring + stem + housing. Mainly the spring - if it is slightly lighter then it won't push the stem back up properly.
sounds like you need an upgrade to 62g gold korean springs ;)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 13:07:14 »
will this stuff work?

i experimented with it on some loose wasd sampler switches i had and after a day it actually turns into more of a lubricating film/coating than staying in a liquid form; i can feel the difference but i wasn't sure if its worth doing this to dozens of switches. wasn't sure if it will disappear over time.

edit: fyi i applied by spraying it into a paper bowl and then using a small brush to apply it to the points listed in the OP

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 02:12:17 »
will this stuff work?

Show Image

Show Image

i experimented with it on some loose wasd sampler switches i had and after a day it actually turns into more of a lubricating film/coating than staying in a liquid form; i can feel the difference but i wasn't sure if its worth doing this to dozens of switches. wasn't sure if it will disappear over time.

edit: fyi i applied by spraying it into a paper bowl and then using a small brush to apply it to the points listed in the OP

lol did some more experimentation with this stuff, it's definitely not something to use for this stuff.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #226 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 06:29:50 »
Guys, seriously, just go to a hobby shop.
Use something rather thick on the spring and as thin as possible on the sliders. I used rc car diff(?) lube/grease for my springs, and silicone shock oil for my sliders. I think I spent all of $7, if they have any half empty stuff and pay even less.

It's cheaper, it's safe (everything there is plastic based) and you get a big selection of viscosities.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 02:23:40 »

I bought some GPL-103 from miller-stephenson a few months ago. It was expensive as hell... $45 shipped for a 1oz bottle. They don't sell to individuals though, so you'll need to have a business name and address.

A mixture of 205 and 103 does feel nice though. It's more sleek than just 205. Whether it's "worth" the extra $45 is for you to decide. When I run out, I'll try some cheaper alternatives like Leslieann mentioned to see if cheaper stuff feels the same.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 10:00:02 »
Sorry, I know this is the "switch lube" thread, but since it seems many of you have used the 205, do you recommend that lube for cherry space bar stabilizers, or should I just stick with MechLube?

If the 205 is better, is this the right stuff?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2013, 11:07:56 by cytoSiN »
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 03:49:55 »
Sorry, I know this is the "switch lube" thread, but since it seems many of you have used the 205, do you recommend that lube for cherry space bar stabilizers, or should I just stick with MechLube?

Thanks.
go with the 205 if youve got the scratch

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 05:06:57 »

Thanks.

That is the right stuff. I bought from that exact tube from that seller.

Speaking of which, I just came back from a 3-day trip and my lubed Ergo Clears somehow feel a lot smoother than when I first lubed them 2 days prior to the trip. Very happy with it :)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 08:02:22 »

Thanks.

That is the right stuff. I bought from that exact tube from that seller.

Speaking of which, I just came back from a 3-day trip and my lubed Ergo Clears somehow feel a lot smoother than when I first lubed them 2 days prior to the trip. Very happy with it :)

Thanks guys.  I ordered that tube, it's in the mail, will report back :)
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 10:27:24 »

sounds like you need an upgrade to 62g gold korean springs ;)
I've been stickering and lubing and have come across this problem as well. I've been using Superlube on both the spring and sliders, imsto thick caps, and blue springs I harvested from a QFR. Is a slightly heavier spring really the only option? And is 62g really enough?

(I've got enough 65g springs for a different project, but I happened to try one anyway, and it didn't stick.. it makes me wonder where 62g stands.)

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 18:12:59 »
How many switches were sticking? For me it was just a matter of swapping around some springs and stems between the switches to find combinations that didn't stick for some reason. Personally don't have experience with Korean springs, so I can't weigh in on that.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 21:44:21 »
I've only done 11 total so far with blue springs (I'm slow, and as soon as I noticed I stopped myself short from continuing), I can definitely get one to hangup completely, three to get stuck for a split second, and the rest to have at least a slight feeling of stickiness. I'm guessing it's a matter of spring tolerance :\

Offline rek55

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 23:12:40 »
I don't think I'd be able to do this to my Das unless I desolder every switch.

My future Das Ultimate S, all modded up. For now, it's a bit more black.

Offline sordna

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 00:29:23 »
cgbuen / jeroplane ,  what are the stickers you are referring to ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 00:57:39 »
Switch stickers like the ones in this old GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34446.0, but when I talk about keys "sticking" I literally mean upon depressing the springs have some trouble pushing the stems back up, and I'm not sure if lubricant might be a culprit in this.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 01:19:58 »
Switch stickers like the ones in this old GB: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34446.0, but when I talk about keys "sticking" I literally mean upon depressing the springs have some trouble pushing the stems back up, and I'm not sure if lubricant might be a culprit in this.
Did u put too much lube on?

Leslieann the Lubimatrix says you must only use a tiny microscopic amount.  I can't remember exactly but I think a few drops for the whole entire keyboard was the right amount.  So I guess 1/30th drop per switch.  I donno.  I never did it myself.  I'm a LubeNewb  :p
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #239 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 02:08:05 »
Did u put too much lube on?

Leslieann the Lubimatrix says you must only use a tiny microscopic amount.  I can't remember exactly but I think a few drops for the whole entire keyboard was the right amount.  So I guess 1/30th drop per switch.  I donno.  I never did it myself.  I'm a LubeNewb  :p

Yeah a tiny amount is right. I squeezed a really small blob onto a piece of plastic and was surprised that it lasted me the whole board. I used a very small paintbrush and brushed over the sliders 2-3 times for a very thin film of lube, much like how Dan did it in his video in the OP.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 02:09:43 by jeroplane »

Offline Beherith

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 06:04:52 »
I don't think I'd be able to do this to my Das unless I desolder every switch.
Dont give up so easily!
I desoldered every single switch (was replacing browns with reds and shortened the springs by 1 turn) and lubed them up with 205 once they were open anyway, and the lube makes an insane amount of difference.
Do get ready to spend a lot of time though, it took me 8 hours from start to finish and i wasnt slacking off! :)

Also, a very little amount of the GPL 205 is an understatement, I used less then 0.5ml for the whole board.

Offline sordna

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:39:43 »
Ouch, this is way too much time. Has anyone tried Deoxit/FaderLube spray or dropper, and just pushing down the stem and flooding the switch without opening it? It's not an expensive lube, and you can clean up what leaks on the PCB afterwards. Anyone tried this brute force method ? 
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:19:33 »
Ouch, this is way too much time. Has anyone tried Deoxit/FaderLube spray or dropper, and just pushing down the stem and flooding the switch without opening it? It's not an expensive lube, and you can clean up what leaks on the PCB afterwards. Anyone tried this brute force method ? 
yep it works just not as well

Offline sordna

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:17:09 »
Yeah, I've flooded a couple of scratchy red switches on my Poker with general purpose oil, and had to clean the PCB afterwards because the oil leaked, but I'm debating if I want to do that to an entire keyboard, or go the tedious route of opening switches and using high tech grease. Some folks have mentioned that flooding switches with oil would eventually attract dirt and jam the switches but it's mostly speculation, not sure if anyone has actual experienced this.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #244 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:54:22 »
Yeah, I've flooded a couple of scratchy red switches on my Poker with general purpose oil, and had to clean the PCB afterwards because the oil leaked, but I'm debating if I want to do that to an entire keyboard, or go the tedious route of opening switches and using high tech grease. Some folks have mentioned that flooding switches with oil would eventually attract dirt and jam the switches but it's mostly speculation, not sure if anyone has actual experienced this.
Not direct experience, but I did open some year old, unlubed switches, they were pristine.
There's really very little room for dust to get in and out, plus you have a plate blocking the lower half, and the keycap covering the top half.

Unless you have fans blowing air though the keyboard while being used, dust will have a hard time getting in.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline dn

• Got Wood? Fabricator / Designer Extraordinaire
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:08:18 »

This is NOT a good idea, different lubricants have different conductivity properties, I once rebuilt an high performance and expensive electric motor completely cleaning and re-lubing the internals (which were running with a lot of friction), the motor now will not even turn unless you force it by hand as the lubricant is non conductive and has ruined the contact points.

Don't make the same mistake as I did!!!!! DON'T lube the contacts I say!
7G owner :)

PS: I'm looking for a PBT blank full set for my 7G!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 17:50:52 »

This is NOT a good idea, different lubricants have different conductivity properties, I once rebuilt an high performance and expensive electric motor completely cleaning and re-lubing the internals (which were running with a lot of friction), the motor now will not even turn unless you force it by hand as the lubricant is non conductive and has ruined the contact points.

Don't make the same mistake as I did!!!!! DON'T lube the contacts I say!

The lube is often wrongly blamed in this sort of instance.
The lube may be neutral, however it attracts impurities from dust, and bits that may come off the contact itself. The impurities can make your previously non-conductive fluid quite conductive.

In the case of a motor, the commutator and brushes throw off a lot of contaminants, the oil will trap it and short everything.

Bottom line though, don't lube your contacts.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline sordna

« Reply #247 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:26:37 »
I read somewhere that Finish Line Extreme Fluoro 100% DuPont Teflon Grease is same as Krytox 203 or 204. Anyone care to compare it to Krytox 205, if they've tried both ?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #248 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 17:50:08 »

According to everything I have read, Cherry lubes the contact points of Cherry MX switches and that is the only part that they lube.

Since it is already allegedly lubed there is no need to relube the contacts.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 19:14:09 »

According to everything I have read, Cherry lubes the contact points of Cherry MX switches and that is the only part that they lube.

Since it is already allegedly lubed there is no need to relube the contacts.

Correct, but it seems that Cherry hasn't always done this. I have some brand new switches that were lubed on the contacts and some that weren't.

Bottom line, don't lube the contacts.