Author Topic: Different height on keycaps?  (Read 12465 times)

Offline 2UX

Different height on keycaps?
« on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 07:20:38 »
I'm kind of new to this mechanical keyboard world, so maybe I'm missing something here. I just got the breaking bad keycaps (and the zelda life hearts) from Techkeys and I love them. The problem is I find that the keys I recieved are slightly smaller (lower, different height) than the rest of my key caps. Anyone now what I might be missing here?I bought meth for all four rows and find the same problem on them all, they got the right profile, but they are slightly lower..

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
Re: Different height on keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 07:34:05 »
Hey. I am not an expert of mechanical keyboards or anything, but basically different companies make keys in different heights. Keys belong to family types as well, depending on the family type, it will change the height of them. And then you have keyboard companies that have their own keycap height on their keys. This page here explains it a bit better than I have. http://keycapsdirect.com/keycaps-101.php

*Think the picture was originally from PS
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 November 2012, 07:35:43 by MissMurd3r84 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 07:41:26 »
You've got a full keycap set from WASD, right?

WASD uses what most people call "OEM" profile, which matches the height of the stock keys from Filco, Ducky, etc.

All keys from TechKeys are "SP" profile, which are slightly lower and slightly more angled back.

From my experience, the QWERTY row of your WASD keys will match the F-row/Number-row of SP keys. Perhaps if you use the meth keys only for the Alpha-keys and shift them all down one row, they might fit a little better. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 November 2012, 07:44:24 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline 2UX

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 07:48:37 »
Thanks for explaining this. It wont be that big of a problem though, this is my layout:

I'll just have to remove the wasd cluster, or deal with it being like it is, dont feel it very much now that im typing

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 07:55:49 »
I used to have my keys with different heights and it didn't really bother me, I actually never noticed. Only reason I did that was to get the same color affect that others with the rainbow keys I was using had.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.