Author Topic: My noppoo with VI / Bash keycaps  (Read 4722 times)

Offline TioSolid

My noppoo with VI / Bash keycaps
« on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:43:08 »
So finally after more than a month of waiting my wasd keycaps arrived and the look amazing!

For those that saw my previous topic here, I was planning to make a complete VI / Bash (emacs mode, the default) layout for my new noppoo with reds, So here its how it turned out.

Layout used:
Futura font for all the bigger fonts and the VI texts
Consolas for all the bash texts
Corresponding colored keycaps for the lock modifiers (Switch lock, num lock, etc) and Fn keys (since unfortunately wasd cant etch on the side of the keys)
CTRL keys are etched in bold and ALT in italic for the bash shortcuts (I.E. Pressing CTRL + V will execute the command etched in bold, pressing ALT + V will execute the command etched in italic, etc)

Now for the pics (sorry for the supernova glare from my nexus 4 camera flash):

Closeup of the red switch and the new ALT key (its looks blue with the flash glare but the keycap is actually black)

Another closeup showing the keycap color differences. Im not sure you guys can see it from this pic but the wasd keycaps are a bit higher than the noppoo original ones

Finished

Closeup of the keycap

The mark on the right of the letter is for the VI commands (with and without caps) and on the bottom is the Bash command (in this case, using CTRL)

Closeup of my "special" backspace key :P

Some considerations:
- The WASD quality is amazing, really. You can see from my pics that even for very small fonts the etching looks perfect for reading;
- The noppoo comes with POM keys and (AFAIK) the WASD keys are ABS. The ABS keys fell A LOT heavier for the fingers in comparison to the POM keys, and thats is a good thing (at least for my taste). Its a lot harder for me to press any key by mistake now using this keyboard;
- For those wondering, you can feel the etching over the key when typing. Not a big deal for me but just a heads up for those planning to order from WASD;
- I mounted all the bigger keys without their metal stabilizers. For some reason (maybe because of the different plastic, I dont know) when using them the new keys started making that metallic noise when pressed (when the original keys were almost silent with stabilizers mounted). Maybe I mounted them wrong on the new keycaps, I dont know..

Well, thats all. Hope you guys enjoyed it :D

Offline frenchie4111

Re: My noppoo with VI / Bash keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:51:19 »
I love how your caps and control cap say "Caps also ctrl", "Ctrl also Caps"

Filco MJ2 TKL

Offline TioSolid

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 11:58:32 »
I love how your caps and control cap say "Caps also ctrl", "Ctrl also Caps"

haha thanks, really nice feature from this noppoo keyboard btw. This is usually not found on those cheaper "gaming" model keyboards.

Im also planning to add a detachable cable to easy. Just opened the keyboard and there is a lot of space inside it for this mod

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:17:22 »
Looks good. Inconsistent profiles (and thin ABS) would drive me mad though.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 12:56:40 »
This looks awesome,  Why the mixture of all the colours though?
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline TioSolid

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 13:02:43 »
This looks awesome,  Why the mixture of all the colours though?

Since WASD cant print on the side of the keycaps, I used that for modifiers keys. Each color corresponds to a different modifier. Green for the caps / ctrl modifier (Switch lock), grey for the numeric keypad (numlock), white for the Fn keys and orange for the arrow modifiers (scroll lock). and since it was already a rainbow fest I added the blue F keys to mark the F1, F5 and F9 keys (usually spaced from each other in a normal sized keyboard).

Also, the colored keycaps look really good, only the blue ones that look a bit "too light" for my taste (It would be better if it was a dark blue for example)

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:51:42 »
wow! That is so awesome! Good job. Wish I had a keyset like that to learn on.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 23:41:04 »
That's cool but ew, you put Tux and the Windows logo together ?!  ;)

Offline dadgh

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:23:10 »
How much did it cost total, to get all of those custom keys made?

Offline TioSolid

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:35:09 »
How much did it cost total, to get all of those custom keys made?

69,99 USD total without shipping. Since I used their keyboard designer for the uploaded AI template, I had to make the numeric keypad keycaps too. Without those I guess the cost would be a bit lower

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:38:54 »
Very cool!  I'm impressed.  Agreed about too many colors, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -