Author Topic: Raw Denim Thread?  (Read 22656 times)

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Raw Denim Thread?
« on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 22:34:20 »
Hola GH.

Any raw denim fans aside from Jwaz and myself on here?

I personally rock a pair of APC New Standards daily. New Momotaro 0702 on the way~
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Raw Denim Thread?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 22:40:33 »
Do you have any opinions on the Gustin stuff? I've been trying to figure out what my first pair should be. Gustin's stuff looks nice and is affordable. Or maybe you could recommend a pair under $100 (perhaps from Rawrdenim's list)?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 22:47:15 »
Is Diesel not cool anymore?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 22:47:32 »
Raw denim.....is it like make your own clothes?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:01:28 »
200 bucks for a pair of jeans.
geez

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:04:25 »
200 bucks for a keyboard.
geez

Fixed that for you :P

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:04:50 »
You never wash them right?
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:32:10 »
I don't own a single pair of jeans.  I just never liked them.  Either I rock dress pants, or ****ies.  For some reason I just don't like the feeling of the fabric, kind of like sweaters for some people.  Do the uber expensive varieties of jeans feel better?

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:53:17 »
Do you have any opinions on the Gustin stuff? I've been trying to figure out what my first pair should be. Gustin's stuff looks nice and is affordable. Or maybe you could recommend a pair under $100 (perhaps from Rawrdenim's list)?

Gustin is a great way to start. They make really good starter denim. I also always put my support behind Unbranded because thats how i got my start. They run around 80 dollars and are 14.5 oz. so they give you the true experience of raw denim.

I personally still wear my UB 104's and am trying to get them to fade to see what black denim fades look like.

I also have my old pair of UB 201's that didnt fit so well up on grailed for sale.

As far as starting up with raw denim goes, my list would be as follows: Unbranded (most true experience, aside from fit) > Gustin (if you dont mind waiting, getting some iffy fits occasionally) > Some naked and famous (be careful here, not everything they make is selvedge/raw) > APC (so low only because light denim, and high price, fits cant be beat though)

Really really looking forward to my momotaro jeans because they're my first non-starter brand, unless you consider APC non-starter.

For those that dont know about momotaro, heres a cool video. Granted, this video is quite old, and prices are out of date:

(Momotaro jeans cost about $300USD on average now)
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:57:12 by KangarooZombies »
Having a bad day?

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 00:27:40 »
yes please :p

geez

not so different
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 01:53:04 »

geez

not so different

Exactly, just different hobbies. :D
Having a bad day?

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:03:37 »
Do the uber expensive varieties of jeans feel better?
no.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xredman

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:12:01 »
I wear Naked and Famous Left Hand Twill for a couple of years. It fades all right. I need to get some Momotaros or some Oni denims.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:50:32 »
no.

LOL okay.  I'll GTFO of this thread then.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 02:55:56 »
no.

Does it accentuate your ass and make you more attractive to females?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:06:22 »
geez

Fixed that for you :P
look i've spent a lot of money on keyboards but i've made most of it back selling my old stuff for what i paid, and there is a tactile difference between cheap keyboards and nice keyboards that i argue is minimal at best with expensive jeans and $50 levi's.
raw/selvedge denim is one of the dumbest and most flagrantly conspicuous things you can buy. the pants last as long or less as 501s, don't feel any better or worse (i've owned some before, they all feel the same after a few weeks), get blue on all your ****, and nobody gives a damn about the little piece of edge you show by cuffing your pants like a ****in rockabilly dork. you are practically burning money with this ****. go to H&M, Zara, urban outfitters (well, don't, but... if you must) and get jeans for 20-60 that 99% of people, including yourself, will not be able to tell are "cheap".
you're gonna wear em out at the same rate as regular jeans, and if the cheaper ones pop a seam, pick up a dang needle and dental floss and do work. if you can get raw jeans for cheap, go for it, but otherwise it's such a waste and it doesn't make you look better, it just makes you look like one of those people who spends way too much money on pants and not enough time doing things that actually make you cool.

You never wash them right?
i never wash even cheap jeans. the secret to selvedge is not the denim, its just that you wear them until they fall apart. just like normal jeans.

for the record i dress relatively 'hip' with the skinny jeans and vans and whatnots but my pants haven't cost me more than $40 since i figured out that selvedge is a crock. and jwaz can vouch i look better than everybody on this forum. i'm practically a fashion god in his mind. he gets all of his style tips from me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:09:28 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:30:54 »
If this is going to turn into a hate thread, we can close it up.

There are several reasons why people would choose raw over regular jeans and just because you dont give enough of a **** to go research why, dosent mean that you have to come in here and **** all over others hobbies.

So sth, i invite you to go to another thread and ***** to someone else.
Having a bad day?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:37:13 »

There are several reasons why people would choose raw over regular jeans and just because you dont give enough of a **** to go research why, dosent mean that you have to come in here and **** all over others hobbies.

i've owned selvedge denim. i used to think it made a difference but now i think i was wrong.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:42:01 »

i've owned selvedge denim. i used to think it made a difference but now i think i was wrong.

I've owned and spent time with several pairs, if i didnt truly believe that they warranted the price, why would i keep shooting myself in the foot?

Its a hobby, to see how the denim ages, fades, shapes to your body, etc.

and there's a difference between raw and selvedge. Raw denim is no more expensive than regular jeans : IE Rigid Dragon Levis ($30)

This is a raw denim thread, not selvedge.
Having a bad day?

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:59:53 »
I now understand why jwaz didn't make a selvedge thread here before as he told me :/
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:07:18 »
I now understand why jwaz didn't make a selvedge thread here before as he told me :/

Yeah I anticipated some hate.

But I would think that it isnt much of a stretch to apply the same rational we apply to our high end keyboards to other things, such as Jeans, shoes, food, whatever.

In my mind, if people want to spend their disposable income on a luxury item, cool.

This thread was made to discuss a hobby with other likeminded people.

Not to debate why raw denim is or isnt worth it. Frankly, sth has clearly made up his mind, and i've made up mine. Leave it at that.

Having a bad day?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:20:12 »
I've a couple if pairs of raw demin stuff but not an awful lot. Tbh I find that while the quality is better it's a lot easier for me to find styles and shapes I like from cheaper brands and when they are worn just but a new pair.
Maybe it's just me but I've found wear rate to be about the same for high end brands to the low end H&M cheap jeans.

Though I do still pine for some dark skinny fitting evisus with there simple back pocket logo

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:23:12 »
I've a couple if pairs of raw demin stuff but not an awful lot. Tbh I find that while the quality is better it's a lot easier for me to find styles and shapes I like from cheaper brands and when they are worn just but a new pair.
Maybe it's just me but I've found wear rate to be about the same for high end brands to the low end H&M cheap jeans.

Though I do still pine for some dark skinny fitting evisus with there simple back pocket logo

be careful they'll put your head on a pike

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:26:02 »

There are tons of fits out there you just have to put some research into it.

I've got a few pairs and have been helping with the Massdrop stuff.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:30:04 »

Having a bad day?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:34:59 »
I ****ed around with Unbranded (meh), which I will be turning into shorts after getting bad advice from the retailer on fit/ sanforization characteristics and a bad tailor job.

Next was N&F Dirty Fade, much better but still kinda meh.

Rogue Territory Tonal Warps, these are super dope but still sanforized, probably my last sanforized pair before I start proxying Samurai, The Flat Head, PBJ stuff out of Japan. Maybe I'll grab the Momotaros that are on Massdrop since I haven't picked up any dark weft styles.

I got a pair of the N&F x Rockin Jellybean x Big John in the half dye 'Ruri' style but they were a size too small, probably putting them on eBay. anyone a size 31? (these fit weird, see blue owl)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:38:06 by jwaz »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:35:02 »
Before I start writing this post AGAIN I just want to say **** Apple and **** iPhones.

One of the best pairs of jeans I ever owned were a pair of Vibralux, they were black skinny jeans but (I'm guessing via magic) had latex in the weave or something so that they would flex and stretch a fair bit. Now I'm no emo and I don't wear skin tight clothing but these were awesome. I wore them loose but the extra give in them made them the most comftable jeans I've ever worn. I'm just gutted that they faded so quickly and fell appart...

If anyone here knows of a brand or anything that makes similar jeans let me know!

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:37:21 »
I ****ed around with Unbranded (meh), which I will be turning it to shorts after getting bad advice from the retailer on fit/ sanforization characteristics and a bad tailor job.

Rogue Territory Tonal Warps, these are super dope but still sanforized, probably my last sanforized pair before I start proxying Samurai, The Flat Head, PBJ stuff out of Japan. Maybe I'll grab the Momotaros that are on Massdrop since I haven't picked up any dark weft styles.

The momos on massdrop are a godsend for me, almost pulled the trigger on the bm006 at full price last week. These will make a unique addition to my rotation, also the fades they get are almost an electric blue. Pretty neat imo.
Having a bad day?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:39:13 »
I ****ed around with Unbranded (meh), which I will be turning it to shorts after getting bad advice from the retailer on fit/ sanforization characteristics and a bad tailor job.

The momos on massdrop are a godsend for me, almost pulled the trigger on the bm006 at full price last week. These will make a unique addition to my rotation, also the fades they get are almost an electric blue. Pretty neat imo.

All the black/indigo weft stuff will fade to that high-contrast blue, these are pretty reasonable for other brands that do that style. Especially compared to their average retail price CONUS, I'm sure they're much cheaper in Japan.

I was contemplating the RgT, 3sixteen, etc but the Momos are a hell of a deal.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:42:43 »

All the black/indigo weft stuff will fade to that high-contrast blue, these are pretty reasonable for other brands that do that style. Especially compared to their average retail price CONUS, I'm sure they're much cheaper in Japan.

I was contemplating the RgT, 3sixteen, etc but the Momos are a hell of a deal.

RgT will probably be my next pickup. Ive always been a fan of the SK fit.
Having a bad day?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:45:31 »

geez

not so different

Well the distinction I'm drawing is that at that price you can go to a nice tailor at that price who will treat you nice and ask you how its hanging.

But I would think that it isnt much of a stretch to apply the same rational we apply to our high end keyboards to other things, such as Jeans, shoes, food, whatever.

In my mind, if people want to spend their disposable income on a luxury item, cool.

Not to debate why raw denim is or isnt worth it. Frankly, sth has clearly made up his mind, and i've made up mine. Leave it at that.

That's because this a keyboard forum and not a fashion forum. We all know why we're here and an explanation on why we spend more money on things that could be bought for 3-5x cheaper isn't necessary.

That standard doesn't immediately apply for things non keyboard related.

Not that I don't understand where you're coming from in wanting to discuss this with like minded people but it might help to have a nicer first post with some more details and info - like something you would see in YLLS might keep this discussion on track.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:46:18 »
If anyone is actually interested in learning a little bit about this stuff (as apposed to *****ing about how other people spend their money/ asking inane questions)
http://www.rawrdenim.com/ (tons of great articles)
http://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim
http://www.styleforum.net/f/13/streetwear-and-denim
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/forum/22-superdenim/

there are tons more if you feel like doing a little googling

RgT will probably be my next pickup. Ive always been a fan of the SK fit.

They make GREAT fits. Stealths are pretty cool if you aren't going for those momos or want a different fit.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 04:48:06 by jwaz »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 05:30:10 »
Before I start writing this post AGAIN I just want to say **** Apple and **** iPhones.

One of the best pairs of jeans I ever owned were a pair of Vibralux, they were black skinny jeans but (I'm guessing via magic) had latex in the weave or something so that they would flex and stretch a fair bit. Now I'm no emo and I don't wear skin tight clothing but these were awesome. I wore them loose but the extra give in them made them the most comftable jeans I've ever worn. I'm just gutted that they faded so quickly and fell appart...

If anyone here knows of a brand or anything that makes similar jeans let me know!

I assume it was just jeans with stretch, lots of jeans have that these days. Just ask for jeans with stretch in any half-decent clothing store and I'd imagine there'd be plenty to choose from.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 10:16:35 »
Raw jeans stretch over time by themselves if they aren't washed, I have a pair of RRL, and some APCs, I'm eyeing those Momotaros on MD. Raw jeans have a better faded look than regular jeans, as the creases and wrinkles are natural, the fit also becomes better over time as the material stretches slightly to conform to your body. I never wash raw denim, I always dry clean them, as raw jeans shrink around 10% in the initial 2-4 washes.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:51:38 »
look i've spent a lot of money on keyboards but i've made most of it back selling my old stuff for what i paid, and there is a tactile difference between cheap keyboards and nice keyboards that i argue is minimal at best with expensive jeans and $50 levi's.
raw/selvedge denim is one of the dumbest and most flagrantly conspicuous things you can buy. the pants last as long or less as 501s, don't feel any better or worse (i've owned some before, they all feel the same after a few weeks), get blue on all your ****, and nobody gives a damn about the little piece of edge you show by cuffing your pants like a ****in rockabilly dork. you are practically burning money with this ****. go to H&M, Zara, urban outfitters (well, don't, but... if you must) and get jeans for 20-60 that 99% of people, including yourself, will not be able to tell are "cheap".
you're gonna wear em out at the same rate as regular jeans, and if the cheaper ones pop a seam, pick up a dang needle and dental floss and do work. if you can get raw jeans for cheap, go for it, but otherwise it's such a waste and it doesn't make you look better, it just makes you look like one of those people who spends way too much money on pants and not enough time doing things that actually make you cool.

i never wash even cheap jeans. the secret to selvedge is not the denim, its just that you wear them until they fall apart. just like normal jeans.

for the record i dress relatively 'hip' with the skinny jeans and vans and whatnots but my pants haven't cost me more than $40 since i figured out that selvedge is a crock. and jwaz can vouch i look better than everybody on this forum. i'm practically a fashion god in his mind. he gets all of his style tips from me.
First, I would argue the tactile difference with a pair of Samurais (proprietary denim 'recipe' which is woven ultra slow on Shuttle looms), Oni (another Japanese Co with a trade secret loom technique), Iron Hearts (ultra heavy weight) or even something Gustin's Grey Silk would blow 95% of all other jeans out of the water.

The cuff is definitely a person thing, if you can't be bothered to go to the tailor after making this kind of investment then whatever. I cuffed my jeans before I was into raw denim so unless they're over 36" I'm fine. Double cuff with some stacking! (but I'm over 6')

501s, which encompass a lot of different styles, ARE raw denim, er can be. Depending on if you mean 501 Shrink-to-fit. I saw some at the local denim shop for ~$250. Something about being a selvedge 1947 501xx.

The not washing thing is about getting contrast fades and if you don't really care about those no need to buy into the washing hype, a lot of the associated "techniques" are often debunked. See this:

I've bought a LOT of garbage pants from H&M, UO, Levis, etc. I would wear them till I blew out the crotch (about 3-6 months). I am never going back to that. It's a waste of my time and money.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:08:33 »

geez

not so different

Well the distinction I'm drawing is that at that price you can go to a nice tailor at that price who will treat you nice and ask you how its hanging.

That's because this a keyboard forum and not a fashion forum. We all know why we're here and an explanation on why we spend more money on things that could be bought for 3-5x cheaper isn't necessary.

That standard doesn't immediately apply for things non keyboard related.

Not that I don't understand where you're coming from in wanting to discuss this with like minded people but it might help to have a nicer first post with some more details and info - like something you would see in YLLS might keep this discussion on track.

You can draw your arbitrary lines wherever you choose. Thats up to you.

The point is that the justification for spending more on a keyboard is very similar to the justification for spending more on other luxury items, such as raw denim.

Its a step up from the normal (Rubber Domes, jeans from h&m) thats worth it to some, not to everyone.

I find it hilarious that you think that this kind of spending is only okay on things "keyboard related"

People spend their money in a lot of ways. Don't get too tunnel visioned.

Having a bad day?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:27:48 »
I don't understand the not washing part.  I understand the desire to preserve the color and what not, but within reason.  I was curious and had a look at the raw denim website, and it says there that you can wait to wash your jeans until 9 months of wear, if you wear them like a uniform 5 days a week....  :eek:  9 months of that much use, and I probably would not want to be in the same room with that person.  It's very unhygienic.  I had no idea it was even a "thing" until this thread.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 12:43:12 »
I don't understand the not washing part.  I understand the desire to preserve the color and what not, but within reason.  I was curious and had a look at the raw denim website, and it says there that you can wait to wash your jeans until 9 months of wear, if you wear them like a uniform 5 days a week....  :eek:  9 months of that much use, and I probably would not want to be in the same room with that person.  It's very unhygienic.  I had no idea it was even a "thing" until this thread.

Yeah, its a little different for sure, but there are several different ways people get rid of bacteria and smell without washing jeans.

Most people put them in the freezer overnight, that kills the bacteria, and most smell. Some people just hang their jeans to let them air out every night, it all depends on how you want to go about it.

I personally just wash them when they start to smell, which in the case of my first pair of raw denim was right around the 6 month mark.
Having a bad day?

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:27:19 »

Yeah, its a little different for sure, but there are several different ways people get rid of bacteria and smell without washing jeans.

Most people put them in the freezer overnight, that kills the bacteria, and most smell. Some people just hang their jeans to let them air out every night, it all depends on how you want to go about it.

I personally just wash them when they start to smell, which in the case of my first pair of raw denim was right around the 6 month mark.

Yeah, the no-washing thing has been keeping me away from buying some raw denim jeans for years.  I've been buying other jeans which cost pretty much the same (Joe's Jeans and G-Star Raw), so I'm not afraid of the price, it's just that I want to wash my jeans and throw them in the dryer.  My Joe's jeans may have pre-made (fake) whiskers, but they're hassle-free.  The other problem for me with APC brand jeans is Kanye West.  That fat French guy who owns APC -- Jean Touitou, fell in love with Kanye, or the other way around, or both ways around.  I dunno.  But when I think of APC, I think of Kanye West.  And I used to be a Kanye fan, but now I think he's a jackass.  And it's all due to Kim Kardashian.  Now I finally understand what my father went through with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. 

Anyway, those Moto jeans might be the answer.  Also, from the googles I learned that people are washing their raw denim jeans, apparently in cold water in a bucket or in the bathtub.  That will help keep the shrinkage down, and keep the color from fading, somewhat.  This all reminds me of what we used to do with our dark blue Levi's back in the '80's.  First you bought them a size too big.  Then you washed them once, and put them on while still wet.  And waited for the jeans to "shrink to fit".  Then you wore them for about a month before washing again, to break them in.  Also, you ironed them every time you wore them to get a nice crease in the front.  Some guys would sleep on them pressed under their mattress all night to get a "permanent" crease.  Those were some super thick denim.  I don't think Levi's makes that stuff anymore. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:37:53 »
This all reminds me of what we used to do with our dark blue Levi's back in the '80's.  First you bought them a size too big.  Then you washed them once, and put them on while still wet.  And waited for the jeans to "shrink to fit".  Then you wore them for about a month before washing again, to break them in.  Also, you ironed them every time you wore them to get a nice crease in the front.  Some guys would sleep on them pressed under their mattress all night to get a "permanent" crease.  Those were some super thick denim.  I don't think Levi's makes that stuff anymore.

Isn't what you're describing the Levi 501 Shrink to Fits?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:41:03 »
Dude. you CAN wash them. Nothing is stopping you. Seriously, this not washing has been blown way out of proportion.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 13:47:44 »
Dude. you CAN wash them. Nothing is stopping you. Seriously, this not washing has been blown way out of proportion.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone does (and should do) what they feel is right.  Personally, I just quoted what that RawrDenim.com site says in their guides.  They imply that a lot of people are anti-washing, so that's all I meant by that, as it surprised me.  There are gentle washing methods available if desired, such as hand washing and hanging to dry, as well as dry-cleaning.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:00:20 »
This all reminds me of what we used to do with our dark blue Levi's back in the '80's.  First you bought them a size too big.  Then you washed them once, and put them on while still wet.  And waited for the jeans to "shrink to fit".  Then you wore them for about a month before washing again, to break them in.  Also, you ironed them every time you wore them to get a nice crease in the front.  Some guys would sleep on them pressed under their mattress all night to get a "permanent" crease.  Those were some super thick denim.  I don't think Levi's makes that stuff anymore.

Isn't what you're describing the Levi 501 Shrink to Fits?

lol.   Did they bring them back?  I dunno, I haven't bought a pair of Levi's since about 1990.  I guess maybe I should check them out.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone does (and should do) what they feel is right.  Personally, I just quoted what that RawrDenim.com site says in their guides.  They imply that a lot of people are anti-washing, so that's all I meant by that, as it surprised me.  There are gentle washing methods available if desired, such as hand washing and hanging to dry, as well as dry-cleaning.

Dry-cleaning is probably worse than wearing dirty jeans.  Perchloroethylene (or PERC), the dry cleaning chemical, "can harm the brain and central nervous system, damage the liver and kidneys, and is likely to cause cancer."  See, http://www.nrdc.org/living/chemicalindex/perc.asp

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:04:45 »
Dry cleaning stuff vs. wearing dry-cleaned stuff is a different thing.  Anything toxic in high enough concentration will have obvious effects, but low enough concentrations may not have any measurable effect:
http://www.epa.gov/dfe/pubs/garment/ctsa/factsheet/ctsafaq.htm#7

I'm not advocating dry cleaning, just putting what you said in perspective.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:09:33 »
Febreeze in the crotch and good as new.

Sadly I'm too short for raw denim. And fat. **** is made for tall lanky people.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:19:22 »
Febreeze in the crotch and good as new.

For 99% of situations.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:19:42 »

Bro I'm about to get some and I fit that description.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:21:42 »

Bro I'm about to get some and I fit that description.

You need money for your trip, save the pants till later. #YourMom