Author Topic: Win 10, DVORAK, German Layout and other Problems  (Read 9346 times)

Offline domsch1988

Win 10, DVORAK, German Layout and other Problems
« on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 01:57:38 »
Since it's unclear if i'm "allowed" to use a ergonomic keyboard at work (yes, my chef thinks uniform looks across all desks is more important than my comfort/health...) i'm, again, switching back to dvorak.

Now, this isn't as straight forward as i thought.
First, i'm german, so the "default" US Dvorak layout isn't optimal. Windows 10 only comes with the US Dvorak L/R options. Should i go with those for compatibility or use a german specific layout and install that on my PC? Is there any "standard" for Dvorak in other languages or was it only defined for English?

Finally, when switching, would you reorder the keycaps on the keyboard to be productiv faster (I'm already touchtyping QWERTZ) or leave them at standard to not have the option to "peek" at the keys?

As always, your input is much appreciated.

Offline LuX

• 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️ 🖲️
Re: Win 10, DVORAK, German Layout and other Problems
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 04:17:40 »
If there are clients walking around the office it probably looks better to have uniform looking desks. It gives an impression of "standards" or professionality or something. If everyone has their own setup it might look a bit too chaotic and give a sloppy impression. If it's just for the pleasure of your boss, that's stupid, but you probably don't want to make a deal about it until your an important part of the team. If the argument is that someone else might have to use your computer, simply set up two keyboards. One on a tray and one on the desk, or if it's split, have a regular keyboard in the middle.

As for the layout, I don't think there are any official language variations by Dvorak himself, but there are popular variations made by other people that you can download. Some simply add the missing characters and some completely remake the layout using the same principles but for another language. The Dvorak layout is based on vowel-consonant alternation which is more or less the same for many languages, so it should work well for German (minus the lack of ÄÖÜ). What you use is up to your preference and needs. I find the best method is to use a layout that you are comfortable with on your own setup, but then also maintain your qwerty skills for those times that you must use it. If you frequently have to switch you may want to rethink simply using qwerty all the time.

Keycaps is personal preference as well. Ideally you should learn to touch type, so the physical keys don't really matter. But in programs that require a bunch of complex shortcuts there's certainly an advantage to have properly printed keycaps. I'd hold off printed caps until you have settled with something (and thereby learned the new layout by touch typing).

Offline vvp

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 September 2017, 08:56:52 »
yes, my chef thinks uniform looks across all desks is more important than my comfort/health...
Change your employer. It does not make sense to impair your health because of a job.

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 September 2017, 09:52:23 »
Thanks for the Input so far.

I looked at the standard Dvorak Layout, but because German uses a ton of non common characters (ä, ö, ü, ẞ...) it's hardly practical.
I went with a custom Dvorak Type 2 Layout. Since Windows doesn't handle custom Layouts that well, i'm using AutoHotkey to remap Qwerty. Thats working great so far. Plus it's portable :thumb:

I was already touch typing Qwerty at around 70 wpm, the wish for SA keycaps is more of a feel thing. But that's not that important really.

Since i currently do not suffer from any health problems, l'll be looking at new boards at home. Not worth discussing that at work until i know what i want anyways...

Dvorak is working great though. I'm up to 30 wpm on the most common words within two days now  :-\ I feel my brain beeing fuzzy within minutes, but the bursts are getting longer :thumb:

Offline blno

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 09:05:09 »
For information, you have the Neo keyboard layout which is made for German specifically.

https://neo-layout.org/

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 10:14:44 »
AdnW, which is better optimized.

Offline flac.head

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 19:42:56 »
I've been typing Dvorak for 5+ years now.

As you found out, AutoHotkey is the best solution. I keep it on a memory stick so I can use it on any computer. I also have my script heavily modified for UK punctuation, and also all my brackets on AltGR + left hand keys (super handy for programming).

Keep up the Dvorak and don't get discouraged. I think it took around 2 months for me to be back to any sort of normality. Learn without looking at the keyboard though, you will be glad in the long run! :)

Offline aleleblur

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 November 2018, 08:18:25 »
For those switching to German DVORAK keyboard:
If you need help with layouts, check out the blog here:
https://rffr.de/dvorak-tastatur-layout/
It doesn't include the AutoHotKey option, but there is a "Portable Keyboard Layout" method that should work on a USB stick.
There is an older Deutsch Dvorak II SRS layout for Windows that is missing useful keys such as "/". I would avoid that one!
I previously bought a physical German DVORAK keyboard (https://www.getdigital.de/Dvorak-Tastatur.html). Unfortunately it's no longer available.